Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I assign wheelbarrows to stockpile?  (Read 2842 times)

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I assign wheelbarrows to stockpile?
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:48:38 pm »

I am hitting w and all i get is a flashing little box next to it but doesn't show any numbers. Any help would be appreciated...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I assign wheelbarrows to stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:06:08 pm »

I am hitting w and all i get is a flashing little box next to it but doesn't show any numbers. Any help would be appreciated...

You have to select the stockpile first, with q.  If you're pressing w from the main game interface, that's the burrow menu.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:06 pm »

I do. I hit q then select the pile and then hit w and nothing. I have like 5 barrows sitting in a finished goods stockpile waiting to be used and nothing.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:48:47 pm »

Q cycles through the values 0,1,2,3.  Dwarves won't move wheelbarrows to stockpiles just because they are assigned.  When a job opens that requires storing an object in the stockpile, a dwarf will grab a wheelbarrow to fill the job.  Then upon completion, the wheelbarrow is left in the stockpile.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:03:23 pm »

Q cycles through the values 0,1,2,3.  Dwarves won't move wheelbarrows to stockpiles just because they are assigned.  When a job opens that requires storing an object in the stockpile, a dwarf will grab a wheelbarrow to fill the job.  Then upon completion, the wheelbarrow is left in the stockpile.

Ok I understand and I also read that you can assign up to 3 WB per stockpile but for some reason it doesnt even show a number after I hit w next to the word max wheelbarrow. It shows the 0 as no wheelbarrows assigned but it wont change. Even on my stone stockpile which one WB is auto assigned I can not change it from 1 to 2. argggh I know I am doing something wrong just can not figure it out for the life of me lol.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 03:12:22 pm »

That's a dfhack feature: it lets you assign any number of wheelbarrows by typing in the number you want, instead of cycling 0-3 like vanilla.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 03:40:26 pm »

That's a dfhack feature: it lets you assign any number of wheelbarrows by typing in the number you want, instead of cycling 0-3 like vanilla.

Thank you so much :)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »

Dwarves won't move wheelbarrows to stockpiles just because they are assigned.

Yes they do.  When I make brand new stone stockpiles around my stone-using workshops, I disable all types of stone, but assign wheelbarrows.  The dwarves bring the wheelbarrows to the stockpile.  When the wheelbarrows are present, then I enable the types of stone that I want.

If I don't do it that way, dwarves carry stones to the stockpile by hand before the first wheelbarrows arrive.  I want to prevent that, as it ties up a dwarf for a really long time.  (Or at least, this is how it worked in the first versions that had wheelbarrows.  I am not in the mood to test whether it has changed.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »

Dwarves won't move wheelbarrows to stockpiles just because they are assigned.

Yes they do.

I am corrected.  Of course you're right, and I don't know why I thought they didn't.  I wonder why it is that every time I try to help all I end up doing is spreading misinformation?