Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why are my dwarves dropping clothes everywhere randomly?  (Read 7022 times)

rmrfslash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why are my dwarves dropping clothes everywhere randomly?
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:40:12 pm »

I believe this started happening after I created a squad and gave them the cheap cloth armor uniform (from the wiki). They're only missing a few random items for their uniform (socks, mostly) and I've told them to replace their civilian clothing.

Periodically I notice random clothes on the floor in random locations.

I'm using 42.06. Has anyone experienced this before? I probably have something setup incorrectly...

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Why are my dwarves dropping clothes everywhere randomly?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:13:10 pm »

This will happen all the time, really. A dwarf detects a clothing item better than the one they're wearing, so they immediately strip it off and go pick up the new one.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

rmrfslash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:40:44 pm »

Ok, good to know. Since wearing clothes degrades them, there is no end to this? Does it happen with metal armor?

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 01:49:46 am »

Armor does not decay, no. Adamantine fabrics do however, so be careful with that if you like blinging out special dwarves.

Just keep a steady supply of fresh clothing items (or goblinite) and atom-smash/incinerate the worn out stuff. Or you can sell your smelly socks to the elves for exotic pets.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 01:56:53 am »

Also note, it's not because it's metal that armor doesn't decay, it's because it's listed as an armor level clothing in the raws. So if you make leather armor, that won't degrade either, despite regular leather clothing degrading.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 03:42:50 am »

Also note, it's not because it's metal that armor doesn't decay, it's because it's listed as an armor level clothing in the raws. So if you make leather armor, that won't degrade either, despite regular leather clothing degrading.
I'm afraid King Kitteh is mistaken. Metal armor does not degrade because its metal. Leather armor degrades a lot slower than leather clothing because it's armor (which I think causes it not to wear due to usage), but it does degrade (as does bags, quivers, ropes, etc. made from organic material [no data about the non organic case]), but it takes quite a long time, somewhere in the order of 15-20 years to degrade to the 'x' level. I haven't tried to 'f'orbid a ¤Pig Tail Sock¤ for 20 years, but I would expect it to degrade at the same rate as other organic material that isn't subjected to wear. I haven't seen any wooden items degrade.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 03:59:41 am »

Huh, could've sworn I read somewhere that leather armor never wears. Well, my bad.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

rmrfslash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 04:53:31 am »

Thanks all for the details!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:48:43 am »

could it be that because of this degrading, travellers come to the fortress naked?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:07:16 am »

Huh, could've sworn I read somewhere that leather armor never wears. Well, my bad.
Yes, I did also think leather armor was immune to degradation until I saw myself that wasn't so, and it's often said that leather armor is immune to wear. I still believe leather armor is actually immune to wear, but not degradation (with wear being caused by usage, while degradation being cause by time regardless of usage). For the lifetime of most fortresses degradation is never visible, though.

visitors are only allowed to bring 3 things with them, and clothing is not high on that priority lisT. ;)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 07:30:12 am »

visitors are only allowed to bring 3 things with them, and clothing is not high on that priority lisT. ;)

A green glass trumpet, an elf tooth crown and a leather thong is the go-to party uniform.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 11:06:22 am »

If you assign a dwarf a bedroom with a cabinet in it they will gather up their dropped clothing and store it in the cabinet. Helps keep things tidy and bedrooms equal happy dwarves so I make sure every citizen has one.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 11:56:48 am »

And if they have a bedroom without a cabinet they'll drop the items on the floor and the bed.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »

And if they have a bedroom without a cabinet they'll drop the items on the floor and the bed.
who doesn't do that? :D 8)

well, i guess i should come up with a new efficient method of bedrooms with officerooms attached.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 03:00:45 pm »

I believe this started happening after I created a squad and gave them the cheap cloth armor uniform (from the wiki). They're only missing a few random items for their uniform (socks, mostly) and I've told them to replace their civilian clothing.

While clothing does tend to end up strewn everywhere when dwarves go fetch a replacement, that isn't specific to your squad. If the squad is causing the mess it's likely that some of them have mining, wood-cutting, or hunting labors enabled. Those three labors have an "implied uniform" that conflicts with military uniforms: a military dwarf with one of those labors will regularly drop one uniform to switch to their other uniform, leaving their clothing, armor, weapons, and supplies in random places. You can either disable those labors on military dwarves, undraft dwarves with those labors from your military, or accept that your double-uniformed dwarves are going to make quite a mess.
Pages: [1] 2