Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Colosseum  (Read 3393 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Colosseum
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:54 am »

I recently started a fort that is specially created to build a Colosseum and I was wandering if dwarfs can see from above because I wanted it to have a balcony. So is it possible? Are there dwarfs that get happy thoughts from seeing people die ? Any tips for the Colosseum?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:42:57 am »

I recently started a fort that is specially created to build a Colosseum and I was wandering if dwarfs can see from above because I wanted it to have a balcony. So is it possible? Are there dwarfs that get happy thoughts from seeing people die ? Any tips for the Colosseum?
Players enjoy needles death and violence, dwarves don't.

You'll either get stressed dwarves, or at best (and more likely if you're playing 42.x) 'didn't feel anything at seeing death' thoughts).

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:26:31 am »

Players enjoy needles death and violence, dwarves don't.

You'll either get stressed dwarves, or at best (and more likely if you're playing 42.x) 'didn't feel anything at seeing death' thoughts).

Ok, great. And can they see from above?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:05:28 am »

LoS is very real for many interactions in df, so I am assuming yes, but am quite curious myself.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:15:49 am »

Given that marksdwarves can see goblin siegers from above and then scale the walls to drop down at the invaders' feet I'd say yes, they can see downwards (and your inebriated dorfs may very well "jump" (i.e. fall) down onto the arena to do something "exciting", unless climbing access is blocked. I've heard, however, they can't see too steeply down (I'd guess a 45 degree angle or so).

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 08:35:43 am »

Because I know enemies can climb will this stop them:
(Sideways view of the Colosseum)

h................................h
###................................###
##....................................##
######################

h -chair (for dwarfs to sit on and watch)
# -wall
. -air

Also is there a way to let the dwarfs sit on the chairs, something like a meeting area with chairs?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 08:55:24 am »

No.
Enemies can climb one tile out diagonally, unless that tile is a floor, and your dorfs will either flee or jump/fall down to join the mess. To get dorfs there you'd probably need a table as well as a chair, so they can go there to eat.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 09:13:15 am »

What if the walls are smoothed?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 11:41:19 am »

What if the walls are smoothed?

Smoothed natural walls are unclimbable as far as I can tell, but on the surface you most likely need obsidian casting to get that.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 02:01:35 am »

I don't think you can climb fortifications though, so maybe try that.

If that's not good enough, why not make a giant glass floor so your dwarves can stand right over the arena. I know they can see through windows, but glass floors might be different.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 03:49:05 am »

There are reports of critters climbing (NOT the swimming case, and possibly not the wall tunneling either) through fortifications, and it definitely ought to be possible to climb them (the slits provide hand and foot holds).
Making items out of glass does not make them transparent. Transparent items are made out of suitable materials, though.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 05:19:24 am »

Floor grates ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 06:09:50 am »

So what items are transparent and is there anything that can be a floor and is transparent and isn't made from glass cause no sand on the map (unless caverns or I could buy from caravans). Grates will not work cause they need something to support them

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 06:59:42 am »

Windows are transparent and can be made out of gems, I believe. I'm not aware of anything else that's transparent, but can't rule out their existence. Grates would work by having strips of floor 3 tiles apart and have the two tiles in between filled with grates.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 07:08:59 am »

But I don't think you can have window floor can you?
Pages: [1] 2 3