Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't remember the last time I saw a tantrum  (Read 1732 times)

Jaqwon_The_Chef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't remember the last time I saw a tantrum
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:10 pm »

Even going the first couple years without bedrooms/dinning hall hasn't caused any tantrums.  Anyone know the cause?  :-\

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't remember the last time I saw a tantrum
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 09:15:10 pm »

A few versions back, Dwarves would become horrified if a critter so much as looked at them funny.  The pendulum has now swung the other way, and you have to make a serious, purposeful effort to get Stress high enough to cause problems.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:55:59 am »

A few versions back, Dwarves would become horrified if a critter so much as looked at them funny.  The pendulum has now swung the other way, and you have to make a serious, purposeful effort to get Stress high enough to cause problems.

I quite like it. No more society-wide breakdowns because of a rotting mule in the hallway. Now it takes some truly severe mayhem to cause the whole fortress to descend into The Purge-style rioting.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 05:26:24 am »

I'm not keen on tantrum spirals (and I've never suffered one myself), but I think the pendulum has swung too far in that dorfs are too resilient, so while I don't want spirals, I'd like to see dorf mismanagement punished (or "rewarded") with individual stressed dwarf breakdowns. I have also seen a tavern serving alcohol producing braws (I haven't seen deaths, but others have reported death from brawling without any note in the injustice system), including spirals.

There are also reports of sudden outbreaks of violence where visitors all attack the fortress citizens, without any clue as to why (in one case any violence involving captured invaders or a new invasion would cause the visitors (from a fair number of different civs) to immediately attack). Thus, the trigger was identified, but the "why" remains unresolved. Why would a visitor whose civ is at was with a prisoner attack the fortress when said prisoner becomes involved in violence?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:43:00 pm »

In recent version, if you want to see a tantrum, do not give them beds and let them be rained. Then one or two out of your 100 dwarves may have their stress raised to the point they finally snap. Last time I tried this, said dwarf went berserk, and the other dwarves killed him and his son.

BTW, my current 9 years old fort:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:47:03 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:10:15 am »

Only my 3 highest stress propensity dwarves are ever unhappy, and only one of them has ever thrown a tantrum.

It's a fairly normal fort, but my dwarves see lots of corpses and are nauseated by the sun sometimes. Lots of them have unfulfilled needs for decent meals, etc.

I think maybe it should just stay this way for now until they're better at fulfilling their own needs.
(Like maybe they can fetch the foods they want from caravans once the economy is re-implemented, or be satisfied by a good meal that isn't their favorite.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:16:15 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:31:19 am »

A dwarf that has been through a lot can cause a terrifying experience to the whole fortress.

I remember mine started when that adorable dwarf baby was killed because of dehydration. mother went totally crazy and.. well.. we all know how this ends.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 06:24:35 pm »

I locked a dwarf in a hospital after he was mauled by a werearmadillo. The next full moon, he promptly murdered the other patients, and then spent the next year alone in there with the rotting corpses. A few months in, he got the yellow "Distracted" arrow. After awhile, he started smashing up beds, but I never got an "Urist McWerearmadillo is throwing a tantrum!" announcement.

So, solitary confinement with your own murder victims will definitely do the trick.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 11:18:36 pm »

I've seen one dwarf tantrum since 2014. Only one.

However, I've only had about one or two non-moody dwarves go insane. Once I had a fish cleaner suffer horrific injuries in a cave-in as I was deconstructing some scaffolding above my fortress. It was an evil biome, so he sat outside for months with one good arm and no usable legs, getting rained on by human blood. Eventually he lost it and went stark raving mad, the first time I've ever seen a dwarf lose his mind due to stress.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 12:59:19 am »

So, solitary confinement with your own murder victims will definitely do the trick.

Moments like this, I remember the sheer insanity of Dwarf Fortress.