Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why do caravans bring magma?  (Read 4184 times)

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why do caravans bring magma?
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:46:08 pm »

does this happen to any of you too? i've had it quite a few times when a caravan brings magma for trade and then my whole area's forest gets burnt down :/

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do caravans bring magma?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:14 pm »

Have you done any modding?

That's sometimes an unexpected side-effect when you do certain mods almost-but-not-quite correctly.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:16 pm »

Oh no they know how to use magma to bring down your fort now!?

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:22 pm »

That's sometimes an unexpected side-effect when you do certain mods almost-but-not-quite correctly.

I haven't done any modding, nor do i have any mods besides phoebus, it has happened on multiple worlds too

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 12:27:27 am »

Weird.... I for one have never seen this, what skrtof container is it in? Or is it?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:00:51 am »

This was mentioned in this thread, that your civ can acquire a "magma" under certain circumstances.  Once they get one, your civ has access to the materials and the caravan will try to ship it to you.

You can turn off temperature and see the magma in a cloth bag (or whatever silly container they use), then mod that kind of container to be fireproof and fixed-temp if you like.  Getting the bug fixed would, of course, be the more permanent solution.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:11:25 am »

It would actually be useful if they could bring water instead (provided you could get useful water out of the barrel, like e.g. 2/7 water, or possibly even more), as you can get embarks completely devoid of water (I recently reclaimed a mountainhome that turned out to be completely dry both on the surface and in all three caverns, where the world was generated with reduced cavern water [0-25%]).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 09:39:14 am »

I haven't done any modding, nor do i have any mods besides phoebus, it has happened on multiple worlds too
IIRC, I believe I heard somewhere that outdated phoebus raws were a potential cause for some sort of issue. Might have been this one.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 02:24:22 pm »

IIRC, I believe I heard somewhere that outdated phoebus raws were a potential cause for some sort of issue. Might have been this one.

I'll see if the same happens on the ANCII game, though i have the latest Phoebus version

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 02:31:39 am »

I'll see if the same happens on the ANCII game, though i have the latest Phoebus version

I thought it was very rare?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »

Ah, it is Urist Schroedinger's magma - you don't know if it is hot or not until after you buy it.  One of his early inventions, before mastering applied quantum theory.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 03:04:20 am »

I suspect it has something to do with 'magma' being an actual item. You can even get it in fort mode. If you dump a (non magma safe) stone into magma, it will first turn into an object called 'magma' before completely melting away. (really an object, you can (k)>>(enter) over it to see it's value and description, much unlike pools of liquid, which cannot be examined like that)

My guess is that the rare occasions of traders bringing magma had magma flow over stones or stones collapse into magma during worldgen, making the magma item available to their civ. Or perhaps a dragon attacked their civ and melted something into magma.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:06:31 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:48:55 pm »

I can only imagine what happens when you destroy their wagon and spill the contents off a cliff.

... 8)

EDIT: Even better, toss it into your dining hall and maybe the dwarves will use it like Sterno, keeping their <*plump helmet roast*[5] warm.

Or maybe it will burn someone's beard off. Try it!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:52:31 pm by Plex »
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 10:50:08 pm »

You can have magma as an item in minecarts, and then carry minecarts, including to the trade depot, where it can then be traded.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 06:00:33 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: [1] 2