Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Astroneer - hard(ish) SF space exploration and engineering  (Read 8481 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Astroneer - hard(ish) SF space exploration and engineering
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »

Sheesh. Is specific research locked to specific types of unknown objects? I've been on the moon for hours now, trying to unlock the spaceship. I've probably gotten about 10 titanium/lithium in a row now with still no spaceship.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 08:48:02 pm »

I had similar outputs for hours. I had grabbed all sorts of things from two planets and the spaceship showed up eventually. I don't know if there's any correlation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 08:55:23 pm »

Sheesh. Is specific research locked to specific types of unknown objects? I've been on the moon for hours now, trying to unlock the spaceship. I've probably gotten about 10 titanium/lithium in a row now with still no spaceship.

The Spaceship research object isn't on the moon to my knowledge. It is *Redacted for spoilers* and GOODNESS trust me it is more annoying to get than anything on the moon.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »

I didn't get it on the moon either. I got a LOT of stuff on the first planet, and I unlocked the spaceship there but I had already built the Shuttle and it was occupying the Bay space.  ::)
Took a break after getting on the moon, but I'll soon try that spaceship out.

And most people must already know, but Drills do have uses. I don't think it warrants carrying it around, though.
Also, I was happy to try a silly thing out, but it's not that hard to discover..you can attach Rovers on one another.
Three cars is already derpy, slow, but useful. That's why I spent so much time on the first planet.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 08:45:16 am »

A truck leading two rovers is even better. Higher speed and less likely to get stuck on the various ground scatter.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 02:55:16 pm »

Indeed. I didn't get many problems with steering and handling, because one or two trailers really make things better. But driving just a Truck is terrible, and I'm pretty sure I put my truck on the Moon's orbit..too bad I got reset to the ground after flying for a while, and it eventually resetted to the ground too. Sometimes, some terrible bug happens and I think the truck's wheels don't stop accelerating, and it start doing very weird stuff.

I started over because my save became very much unplayable. I'm pretty sure Tethers and Beacons destroy FPS. A patch is being worked on to resolve the Tether issue, but I also felt FPS hits with beacons..and it spreads everywhere, since you can see beacon nodes pretty much from anywhere on the solar system.
Then the game started freezing randomly even on the starting planet, so I've put it down for now. I haven't seen anyone getting so many freezes as me, except for AMD CPU/GPU users..as always.
Guess I already know which brand my next PC build will bear..

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 03:11:06 pm »

It is the appearance of the research object that matters. EVEN IF it is the exact same thing except green or with blue spots or what have you... any tiny difference means it is an entirely different object.

The reason you probably were confused is because the exact same source (such as the same tree) CAN contain different science objects.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2016, 03:37:36 pm »

I was never really a fan of these type of research systems. Mainly just the "flailing at everything until you get what you want" part of it.
And I feel like I've pretty much exhausted the content so far. Sure, I could go to other planets, but why? It's not an issue with the gameplay, just the early-access-lack-of-content. I'd definitely disagree with the people saying it's the most content-filled EA game yet.

Almost every early access game I've played has more content than Astroneer. This isn't a bad thing since Astroneer uses its small amount of content well, and will almost definitely have more in the future. The gameplay, while riddled with minor/moderate bugs, still feels polished. It's just that once you research and build everything which is possible on the first planet (and possibly the moon's required), there's not really anything else to do other than explore planets. Games like Minecraft, Terraria, and Starbound handle this kind of thing with building & creativity, but Astroneer doesn't really allow creative building due to the nature of the bases. Still a fun game, just missing content - which is perfectly understandable for an EA game.

And does Astroneer feel somewhat like a "No Man's Sky done right" to anyone?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2016, 03:57:09 pm »

Basically No Man's Sky at a third the price and without all the griefing of the player by the game itself.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 04:02:54 pm »

Hmm if you think about it, to an EA game it has little content, yes. But for a first release, pre-alpha, it's one of the best launches I've seen, even riddled with bugs. Along with Empyrion, I think.
Mostly because the gameplay and game flow is well set together with the content..and that's not always the case, especially for sandbox games.

I saw a bunch of comments calling it Yes Man Sky. But I think that depends on what you were looking for in NMS in the first place.
I was looking for a first-person exploration/building/crafting where I could fly and land my ship anywhere, and the backbone of the experience would be a decent story and a strong lore. Of course, we know that backbone is nonexistant, so it fell apart to me.
So I don't really get the Yes Man Sky vibes, because NMS was supposed to be more personal, and more wanderer-like experience. I was expecting to get way more immersed in the universe.

In the case of Astroneer, I feel more detached and I love the 'alien' feeling of everything. It reminded me when I watched Wall-E for the first time, when he encounters EVA..it looks alien, no one knows how it works..but its human.
That's what I expected of Astroneer with its minimalistic UI, focus on exploration, yet trying to keep you tethered to something. I enjoy watching people starting to play Astroneer, because they slowly poke around and discover simple things like "Hey, I can attach this here!", "Hey, I can attach this here, and this there, and it still works!". I can't think on a lot of sandbox games like that.

Anyways, in the end, I was looking for two completely different things and experiences..buuut I do agree that once you unlock the Spaceship, and carry a bunch of fuel, power generation and storage..it can feel like Yes Man Sky if you just use the ship to explore around instead of building bases everywhere (like I do, and then it tanks the save FPS).

In conclusion, if you take into consideration that Sean Murray wanted No Man's Sky to be a chill Sci-Fi exploration game, then Astroneer is more No Man's Sky than No Man's Sky is.

Disclamer: I don't feel like I'm expressing myself well today, so I hope my rambling made some sense.  :P

Basically No Man's Sky at a third the price and without all the griefing of the player by the game itself.

Hahaha, well put!
Spoiler: Quick NMS story (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:09:33 pm by Gabeux »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2016, 04:36:13 pm »

Astroneer does not feel lived in. There is nobody else unless you bring in co-op buddies, who are new to the system too. It's a much simplified KSP. NMS just happens to be the most recent similar-ish unfinished space game sandbox and certainly not the closest in what either offers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Astroneer is fairly empty thus far. That's okay. It's only version 0.2. I will likely stop very soon and possibly ignore it until 1.0. Feature creep and EA are wearing thin on me.

Note to self and all: objects you hold have physics. What that means is you can hold a thing out around you to deflect cubes and spiky balls of death.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:10:01 pm by BigD145 »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 07:57:12 am »

So I managed to make a base on the moon, got it self-sufficient abusing the fuel condenser/trade station loop, and set out to make a new base on a planet that actually had... things on it. However, I can't seem to make a new platform from my lander by clicking it anymore; it worked fine on the moon, but now I've been to several planets and can't seem to establish a new base on any of them.

I've considered it might be thinking that the node on my lander is 'occupied' by its former connection with the base node of my moonbase, so I'm currently waiting for a launch window to the moon from the tundra world I most recently attempted to colonise, so I can try re-establishing and then manually removing the link to the lander there. Failing that, my next step is to build a new vehicle bay and a new lander, see if that'll do it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

EDIT: Making a new lander worked.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:27:28 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 08:34:08 am »

Hmmm... I am enjoying it, but I don't feel the strong need to keep playing just yet. Might wait a few months for updates and then jump back in.

Few observations:

1. Camera needs a bit of tweaking. It does go nuts sometimes.
2. Polygon style is nice, but it can be hard (at least on my computer) to see what is what when your base gets a bit messy.
3. Dig tool seems a liiitle bit powerful. I know there are extra keys to make it do things like level the ground off, but it still seems to slant and do all kinds
of things, making it hard to get some nice flat ground, or simple slopes. This then makes traversal of land more difficult because its so roughly cut out.
4. Feels like it needs an economy of some kind, with some kind of game mode that isn't just sandbox. So for example, you start out
your astroneer career to make your fortune, and all you have at the beginning is the bare basics. Finding valuable minerals and shunting them off world gets you payment in credits, which you can then use to purchase upgrades, or valuable minerals or something on the astroneer market (deliveries also via little drone shuttles or something). Then your player experience could have some kind of arc. You might be saving up to get a proper nice little space ship and fly to further away planets, or something.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2016, 09:32:12 am »

Few observations:

1. Camera needs a bit of tweaking. It does go nuts sometimes.
2. Polygon style is nice, but it can be hard (at least on my computer) to see what is what when your base gets a bit messy.
3. Dig tool seems a liiitle bit powerful. I know there are extra keys to make it do things like level the ground off, but it still seems to slant and do all kinds
of things, making it hard to get some nice flat ground, or simple slopes. This then makes traversal of land more difficult because its so roughly cut out.
4. Feels like it needs an economy of some kind, with some kind of game mode that isn't just sandbox. So for example, you start out
your astroneer career to make your fortune, and all you have at the beginning is the bare basics. Finding valuable minerals and shunting them off world gets you payment in credits, which you can then use to purchase upgrades, or valuable minerals or something on the astroneer market (deliveries also via little drone shuttles or something). Then your player experience could have some kind of arc. You might be saving up to get a proper nice little space ship and fly to further away planets, or something.
It does.
It's fine for me from any reasonable distance. Perhaps it's to do with your settings?
Quick clicks are good for making those smooth curves you're looking for, and the leveler works based on the slant it's centered on when activated.
I agree that it needs more content, but it's also a pre-alpha (not feature complete) so give it some time.
 :D

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 10:25:19 am »

Is there a demo? Poor gamer is poor.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4