Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Astroneer - hard(ish) SF space exploration and engineering  (Read 8483 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Astroneer - hard(ish) SF space exploration and engineering
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 07:17:08 pm »

I for one am tired of games defaulting to violence.  The default interaction in most games being to shoot a gun.  I like guns, I've shot more of them than most people ever will.  I don't need them to be in every piece of entertainment

Yeah... But for a game to sort of survive without violence it needs some ancient voodoo magic known as gameplay...

Sure... Space Engineers keeps itself afloat with nothing but busywork bereft of challenge... a lot of busy work... endless globs of busy work... INSANE MIND NUMBING TYRADES OF BUSYWORK!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! (Ignoring that enemies do spawn now) but goodness do I NOT want every game to emulate that.

And RIIIGHT now... Astroneer seems to keep itself afloat purely by this busywork (and kind of charm)... Like a Minecraft with all the enemies (and frankly Hazards) turned off. Yet without the creative drive that Space Engineers had... AND without the simulation aspects that The Sims has... and without the gameplay of games like Grow Up have.

This looks VERY interesting and I have my keen eye on it... But the #1 thing I am currently looking for is if this game has a point.

---

But I will say, even if they do add combat... Making the crux of the game ABOUT combat would be a huge mistake.

-----------

Edit:

Ok I checked it out... we WILL have some space Aliens who will try to kill us... Whether we get guns or not is beyond me...

It is also fixing up a LOT of the issues I saw (such as the fact that weather is weak sauce... even when you get cool stuff like a hurricane)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:31:45 pm by Neonivek »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 12:11:03 am »

Fairly fun game but god damn is oxygen annoying. It appears that you need tanks to increase your capacity, but tanks require titanium which I haven't even found yet. I have such a little range from my base and venturing out further than 20 feet requires extreme luck in finding enough oxygen mineables which are already rare enough.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 02:31:07 am »

Use tethers. But watch out as your fps will dip with lots of tethers. Research things to eventually get titanium. You'll be swimming in titanium once you get some extra items researched. You either get item "blueprints" or rare flagged material.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 02:36:16 am »

I have the same problem trying to find enough starting resources to get set up.  All starting locations are randomly generated, and thus are not all equal.  I had one with a massive field of energy and compound side by side, but not a speck of resin in sight except down a bloody hole that then dropped into a cave system I couldn't reach cause my energy regenerated too slowly after using all of my backpack slots to carry compound and tethers. @.@''

Cool game though.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 10:02:43 am »

This game is weird... Coal is the rarest resource and yet it is the least useful (Only can be used as fuel for a single generator... and it will not shut off just because you are full power, relegating it to vehicle use only) and REALLY out of place for this game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 10:44:15 am »

Has anyone figured out how the drill head is used?

You pretty much have to tether if you want to get any resources. Tether right down into caves.

When you go to the moon take resin with you. It's not easy to find. Fuel is cheap so don't hesitate to make trips. Unhook your vehicle tethers or they will permanently break.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:47:24 am by BigD145 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 10:46:12 am »

Has anyone figured out how the drill head is used?

You can attach it to the front of vehicles or ontop of crane arms... But honestly DO NOT bother.

I assume they will have a purpose later (maybe some resources REQUIRE a drill... maybe there will be a more dedicated vehicle that uses a drill... who knows)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 10:49:12 am »

Vehicles have no fine control and often flop over. They basically have omnidirectional wheels and the planet is coated in oil.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 10:49:56 am »

Vehicles have no fine control and often flop over. They basically have omnidirectional wheels and the planet is coated in oil.

Funny thing is... Vehicles have a LOT more traction going backwards than forward.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 11:00:24 am »

If you're building workstations, research first, then smelter, then the part module workstation. Go find space wreckage. It has materials, modules, and sometimes unknown blocks to research.

DO NOT stand inside workshops being built. You will get trapped forever. Also do not enter a pod on a workshop. It will spawn you inside the workshop.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:08:34 am by BigD145 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 11:08:51 am »

If you're building workstations, research first, then smelter, then the part module workstation. Go find space wreckage. It has materials, modules, and sometimes unknown blocks to research.

And Trees!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 11:20:16 am »

Couple tips: F1 key brings up a handy summary of keys/activities.

Also, when you're building out your base build a couple extra un-finished modules (ie don't put the 2 resin in, leave them empty and just use the connector to build a new connected platform.   Otherwise I have seen reports of people running out of connections (I always built a few extra 2-slot things anyway to put power stuff in).

Unfortunately it freezes regularly after about 5 minutes for me, so I'll wait a few days and try again :(

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2016, 11:59:56 am »

Get to the moon fast if you want research blocks, although they'll probably all be materials. From your landing zone will be a good couple dozen research. Underground has spiky plants so dig them up and bury them.

Gimlet there's a patch just for you today, unless it's not working. Did 0.2.89 work?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 01:34:45 pm »

Nice. I had this game in my list for a long time, was getting worried it became v a p o r w a v e.
It reminds me of TerraTech a bit. Hope they finish it well.

---
E: Hey, it's a neat game. It's way better than I expected for a pre-alpha.
When getting stuck, try pressing E repeatedly and wiggle-wiggle. I got stuck inside a module and it 'booped' me out because when you press E, it brings out your matter-cannon-thing and sometimes it moves you.
I've tried doing the usual things to break a pre-alpha: leaving an object in the creation place of another object (example, on the Vehicle Bay), and a few other things..and it didn't break, the game was ready for it.
The game also has a non-google-translated localization for my language, which I give them props for doing. Even though I always set things to english..playing games in english since I was born, suddenly changing everything to Brazilian Portuguese feels cringy as hell.

There's a few hitches here and there, but my GPU is probably almost 5 years old, so it's running good for such hardware.
I think I'm almost done with the current content..gonna build more storage on my base now and see if I can fly somewhere else.

PS: I forgot you shouldn't say "nice, I didn't bump into any bugs" on pre-alphas.
1. This probably has already been said, but be careful when digging, especially when adding terrain. You can easily fall through the terrain.. Great way to scout the underground, easy way to die far away from anything.
2. Alt+tabbing completely froze my PC repeteadly, forcing me to reboot. Might be my old GPU, not sure.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:59:17 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 05:33:11 pm »

If your cannon's end with the resources ends up below the ground and you keep sucking things with a full backpack you may end up losing the piece that pops off.

Radiated worlds suck. Many storms. Not much gain all things considered. Do get a proper ship instead of a shuttle if possible. You can setup a lot faster with energy production and battery attached to your ship.

Yeah, the game's pretty solid for an initial release. Lots of well thought out visual feedback. You'll see most everything thus far in under 10 hours.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:57:26 pm by BigD145 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4