Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Doomhold The Successor to Horrorfailed (42.06)  (Read 13733 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Doomhold The Successor to Horrorfailed (42.06)
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 07:39:47 am »

Sounds a little too close to Doomforests, don't you think? You seem awfully obsessed with all this DOOM.

Need I remind you that this is the sequel to Horrorfailed
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 10:36:54 am »

Well since nobody seems to care what the name is, let's just roll with Doomedfailed then. Or give it a name relevant to the type of embark we choose.
We must also ensure we're close to a tower, a dark fortress, and have a salt-water aquifier covering the entire map.
That's a tall order, seeing as I'm having trouble finding a FUN embark with even one of those things! Is there a way to force a saltwater aquifer?

In the seed, there is a terrifying, reanimating ocean that rains deadly Acrid Goo (the goo literally beats you to death), but there's not really much you can do with that kind of terrain besides settle close to it. It does border quite a few evil regions though, and there's a part of it frozen into a glacier. I have yet to see a single case of nefarious mist, which is rather disappointing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:00:19 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 10:57:07 am »

That saltwater aquifer is a bit of a stretch, seeing as I've never even heard of one. The others are probably fine, though.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 11:06:48 am »

I'll find a regular aquifer with rest,

And how bout Faileddeath the Doomed Fail of Death

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 11:15:15 am »

Let's have something less redundant, we still want people to take the fortress seriously you know.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 11:26:25 am »

Let's have something less redundant, we still want people to take the fortress seriously you know.

The Redundant Office of Redundancy takes great offense to this statement.

Last suggestion: Failedfail the Failed Fail of Fail

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 12:29:47 pm »

I may have found a suitably !Fun! embark. There's a point on the map where the Lamented Walls (Terrifying Mountain), the Ice of Tears (Terrifying Glacier), and The Bewitched Tundras (Terrifying Tundra) all intersect. It's also reasonably close to goblin and human civilization (Edit2: But not close enough, apparently). I embarked there and my crew was almost immediately torn apart by giant zombie birds. There isn't an aquifer though, but since it's possible to disable aquifers, would it also be possible to force an aquifer through, say, DFhack or something?

There are no trees on the surface either, which would make acquiring wood a bit of a bother.
Edit: The glacier and mountain don't reanimate, but the nefarious mist melts people into pools of blood. Otherwise there is a disappointing lack of freakish weather.

Edit2: In this version, it seems that it is very hard to get neighbors in a large world with the civilizations so far apart. We may have to downsize after all.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:10:19 pm by Spish »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »

I cut the worldsize in half (left all the other variables the same) and yeah, it's a whole lot easier to get elf+goblin+human and necromancer neighbors now. It also cycles through the calendar slightly faster. Cranked the evil weather types up to 500 and it doesn't seem to make a difference, still can't find any cool syndromes, at least, not on the level of Horrorfailed. What sort of wizardry did it take to get both freaky rain AND deadly mist?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:19:01 pm by Spish »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2016, 07:43:04 pm »

I don't see any reason to have more than 5 of each of those. Or more than one necromancy or disturbance interaction.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2016, 07:59:45 pm »

I cut the worldsize in half (left all the other variables the same) and yeah, it's a whole lot easier to get elf+goblin+human and necromancer neighbors now. It also cycles through the calendar considerably faster. Cranked the evil weather types up to 500 and it doesn't seem to make a difference, still can't find any cool syndromes, at least, not on the level of Horrorfailed. What sort of wizardry did it take to get both freaky rain AND deadly mist?
ImmortalityTower also had both of these. What a great and welcoming place this was.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 11:05:14 pm »

I set the weather types to 5 and all I got was 5 varieties of blood rain; although the dwarf blood had citizens vomiting all over the place.

Apparently there's a way to see a txt of the region interactions in an uncompressed save file. Guess I'll try that, cause this is taking way too long.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:29:02 pm by Spish »

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2016, 12:04:50 am »

I'd like a turn.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2016, 11:48:25 am »

Yo Ryuken, you should update the turnlist/dorflist. When people see that there are only two people on it, that looks bad for us. :P

Shall we say that the first 6 players + Andreus are our starting seven? I have a feeling we won't be getting an elf (Archereon) into the fortress alive for a few years.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:59:03 am by Spish »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »

A turn. A dorf. If you please.
No name yet? How about "Murdervillage the Doom of Horrorfailed"

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 03:26:18 pm »

Yo Ryuken, you should update the turnlist/dorflist. When people see that there are only two people on it, that looks bad for us. :P

Shall we say that the first 6 players + Andreus are our starting seven? I have a feeling we won't be getting an elf (Archereon) into the fortress alive for a few years.

That sounds fine, and yeah, the OP could really use an update.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:29:35 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7