Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications and climbing  (Read 756 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Fortifications and climbing
« on: April 05, 2016, 07:15:38 pm »

I was under the impression that fortifications were unclimbable. Instead what I got was a goblin siege scaling my smoothed walls, and then hauling themselves up over the fortifications at the top and then my military doing the same thing in the opposite direction, leading to the death of 2/3 of my fortresses population. I looked around and found that apparently you can't grab a hold of free hanging floors, so I put floors over my fortifications only to find, to my horror, that putting a floor on top of the fortifications only made climbing them easier. So, is building an overhanging balcony over the outside of my walls the only way to keep invaders out then? Other than putting a weapon trap on top of each wall segment?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications and climbing
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:01:28 am »

The other alternative is to roof everything over, so even if they climb, they still can't get in (and won't climb, since there's nothing of interest up there).

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:40:48 pm »

Not to mention roofs are dwarfier. Who wants that ugly sun beating on their heads?

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:02:44 am »

Yes. See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Bumber#Climbing_Safety

@Bumber, you should probably add your illustrations to the Climber entry or Moat entry or both.

Note that those entries contradict each other on smooth walls & fortifications, so if you've done science you may want to update them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 02:40:42 am »

Yes. See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Bumber#Climbing_Safety

@Bumber, you should probably add your illustrations to the Climber entry or Moat entry or both.

Note that those entries contradict each other on smooth walls & fortifications, so if you've done science you may want to update them.
I missed the Moat page back when I updated Climber. So much wrong with those last two points.

Unfortunately, I seem to have somehow forgotten my wiki password.

Edit: The entries have been updated.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:58:24 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?