Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Regarding off-site scholars and bards  (Read 5774 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Regarding off-site scholars and bards
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:12:48 pm »

Does the game continue to generate new scholars, bards, and other visitors as your fort progresses?

For instance, let's say you hypothetically start a fort named BLAZECOOKS in the year 01. Obviously there would be few to no travelers to start. But will the game eventually generate travelers from other civs to visit?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:15:45 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding off-site scholars and bards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:08 pm »

Good question! Bump!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:16:31 pm »

Maybe I'll be doing some unexpectedly new science in this fort.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:19:59 pm »

I have noticed that scholars ramp up over time.  I'm in year four of my current fort and I set out to collect scholars - much like Noah's ark, two of each type from each race. 

What I'm really curious about, is whether copies of all those books my visitors have stolen over time will come back for trade in caravans.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:20 pm »

I haven't even had visitors. Not a one. It's year 08.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:16:44 pm »

My last fort had no visitors in five years, nor invaders or uninvited guests.  Not so much as a werebeast.  I got bored and started over.  I think it's a world-gen thing.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:09:43 pm »

I have noticed that scholars ramp up over time.  I'm in year four of my current fort and I set out to collect scholars - much like Noah's ark, two of each type from each race. 

What I'm really curious about, is whether copies of all those books my visitors have stolen over time will come back for trade in caravans.

I know I've seen books in my artifacts list vanish and reappear from time to time (over seasons). Perhaps this is due to book thefts and then the thieves later returning them?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 01:10:23 am »

I started a fortress in year 5 recently and after 5 years of an open tavern and library, had two visitors early on in the fortress who were curious about it, and then left, never to return again. The only other visitors were outpost liaisons. Given how Dwarf Fortress works, I'd guess that yes, more scholars do generate, but I'm guessing it's quite slow.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 03:08:26 am »

What is the wealth of fortresses of players who have problems with no visitors? Because I don't have this problem. In fact, I find the visitors annoying, because they enter no matter what other life forms are present on the map, sieges, beasts, whatever. I have a fortress in its 4th year, had dozens of visitors, and no less than 20 present at any time. Created wealth is listed as over 4 millions (most of it roasts), and I think it is a magnet for visitors. I have no barkeep, no scholars, only one scribe (probably doesn't matter anyway) but they keep coming.

I have checked 20 random visitors with WorldViewer, using my world in legend mode, from before the fortress was created (I keep the save for things like that). All of them were historical figures, and they were active before my fortress was established. Many of scholars and poets created artefacts and written contents and forms before. One ranger-bard created 16 such forms. Human dancer, part of a troupe, created 35 written contents, and one dance form. The queen consort, who is currently visiting my library, created in the past at least eight artefacts, plus some forms, and discovered knowledge (autopsy). Some guys are just active, no discoveries and creations as such. They are coming from other civs, even dwarven. So I suppose they must be chosen from among hist figs, not created out of thin air.

However, to test it truly, it would need a world near its end, with dead civs and not many historical figures to choose from.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:50:35 am »

I believe nearby non hostile civs have to be reasonably healthy to have spare man power to send out visitors (your own civ can be across the world and still send visitors, if it's healthy). In my pocket worlds I've had a total of 1 visitor over half a dozen embarks, but the non goblin civs tend to number at just a couple of hundred members.
It also seems the transition from world gen to active world has some odd effects in the form of a flurry of wars, conquests, and site reclaims (throwing your carefully laid plans to have a sizeable goblin site as the nearest goblin neighbor for a healthy supply of siege fodder into disarray), so you may get a visitor in year 2 of the fortress, but later on that civ doesn't have much life left in it. In one 70+ year fortress all the goblin civs imploded, i.e. the last one had 3->2->1 human members only (they were dying of old age). The goblin race was very much alive, but all of them were at sites no longer under the rule of any civ.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 12:26:21 pm »

Here's an idea: Does anyone know a way to filter historical figures that have begun to wander/travel in legends?

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »

Well, we know historical figures are generated during fortress time now (i.e rampaging beats becoming historical figures, people conquering places and thus having war heroes and so forth). This makes me think that it would be a safe assumption that scholars and poets would also continue generating. However, historical figure creation takes a long time, and is roughly logrithmic in distribution so it could be a little bit before more poets and scholars show up. This statement is further strengthend in that poets and scholars appear more if they have masters to learn from. Depending on world size, it might be better to start at year 10-30 (the smaller the world the longer world gen should last so you have move historical figures getting involved.)
Another idea, start a fort just to make a Library, and then retire it. This would put a library in the world and hopefully that would inspire more scholars to generate and begin to study/wander

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 01:50:51 pm »

What is the wealth of fortresses of players who have problems with no visitors? Because I don't have this problem. In fact, I find the visitors annoying, because they enter no matter what other life forms are present on the map, sieges, beasts, whatever. I have a fortress in its 4th year, had dozens of visitors, and no less than 20 present at any time. Created wealth is listed as over 4 millions (most of it roasts), and I think it is a magnet for visitors. I have no barkeep, no scholars, only one scribe (probably doesn't matter anyway) but they keep coming.

I have checked 20 random visitors with WorldViewer, using my world in legend mode, from before the fortress was created (I keep the save for things like that). All of them were historical figures, and they were active before my fortress was established. Many of scholars and poets created artefacts and written contents and forms before. One ranger-bard created 16 such forms. Human dancer, part of a troupe, created 35 written contents, and one dance form. The queen consort, who is currently visiting my library, created in the past at least eight artefacts, plus some forms, and discovered knowledge (autopsy). Some guys are just active, no discoveries and creations as such. They are coming from other civs, even dwarven. So I suppose they must be chosen from among hist figs, not created out of thin air.

However, to test it truly, it would need a world near its end, with dead civs and not many historical figures to choose from.
When did your world start though? We're discussing very early fortresses. Mine achieved a very, very high value over the 7 years it's been running, but as I said it only got two visitors because there just weren't any out there yet. In every other fortress I've made I've been flooded with visitors. I open the gates in a low overall value fortress tavern and the visitors just can't get in fast enough, they're tripping over each other. That is exaggeration, but seriously, I get lots and lots of visitors in most of my fortress, which are started in at least 125 year worlds.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:02:47 pm »

Well, I'll post here again once I start seeing visitors. There are dwarves and elves and goblins within range.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 02:07:02 pm »

Who cares about visitors? All they do is waste your resources and keep your dwarves from working by telling stories. Death to all visitors.
Pages: [1] 2 3