Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Raising magma without pump stacks  (Read 3729 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raising magma without pump stacks
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 03:20:46 pm »

Gloves would do nothing against heat, unless they're fire imp leather or fire spewing FB silk and the like, as ordinary stuff should catch fire at those temperatures. The explanation I've seen is that hauled stuff aren't actually carried in the hands, but teleported into the (obviously heat proof) inventory of the hauler, and thus doesn't touch the hands.
I don't remember if the "I'll steal stuff made from materials I like" bug in 0.42.05 was introduced in .05 or earlier. In the latter case caressing that nice hot mine cart might be harmful...

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 03:33:09 am »

Gloves would do nothing against heat, unless they're fire imp leather or fire spewing FB silk and the like, as ordinary stuff should catch fire at those temperatures. The explanation I've seen is that hauled stuff aren't actually carried in the hands, but teleported into the (obviously heat proof) inventory of the hauler, and thus doesn't touch the hands.
I don't remember if the "I'll steal stuff made from materials I like" bug in 0.42.05 was introduced in .05 or earlier. In the latter case caressing that nice hot mine cart might be harmful...
That bug was present at least as early as 0.42.04. And yes, I did see a dwarf with a preference for iron kill himself by claiming ownership and carrying two iron minecarts full of magma.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 09:35:44 am »

I'm also one to go with the path of cart the magma up!  However, the material choices, while respectable, aren't exactly in my eyes an ideal.  If possible, I've gone the route of Nickel minecarts (which are also magma safe) as opposed to iron or steel.  (Aye, I be a bit finicky with my metal usage, even if I have a hundred boulders worth of iron ore.)

I also know that feeling with magma pump stacks mangling the framerate, and to say the least, I couldn't really utilize it for an obsidian maker.

Never did make the Magma Piston work out though...  it's food for thought if I make another fort without volcano.  Though the bloodhand mishap is a new one to me.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 04:00:29 pm »

It takes slightly more work, but it's entirely possible to make an automated minecart conveyor belt, and I made one in my last fort.  I screwed up a bit, so it took about 2 years to build, but if I knew what I knew by the end as when I started, it would have likely been a 1-year project for a 30-dwarf fort.

Let me upload some pictures...
Spoiler: big pictures (click to show/hide)

I give credit to Expwnent for teaching me nearly everything I know about minecarts.  I also know that Expwnent also made a system, for those with iron to spare, that can use more than one minecart with collisions to force carts in the magma trench out, (so no need for rollers) and keep magma flowing up at near-pump-stack speeds, requires no manual effort, and is the easiest method on your FPS, as carts are fairly insignificant for FPS.

Note that this design can also be expanded - I eventually carted magma up to obsidianize a river so I could work on the riverbed before channeling it away.  (Stocked underground fishing lake with no outside access, YAY!)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:14:17 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 04:32:45 pm »

It's fairly rare to actually need the full capacity of a magma pump stack, so NW_Kohaku's mine cart based method is usually sufficient for most magma needs in terms of capacity.
The reason I usually stick to carried mine cart is that each cart goes to a different location, such as one tile along the edge of a cavern above a cavern lake to secure that lake (the alternative is to use pump stacks and retracting drawbridges, which I do if there's a lot of water to secure, provided, of course, I've got the building materials [I'm usually embarking in metal free embarks, so glass, nether-cap, candy, and goblinite tend to be my source materials, and only candy is {supposedly} guaranteed]).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:31 pm »

I, personally, really like glass, so I only accept embarks on sand.

There's also nothing stopping you from impulse ramping your magma up the majority of the way, then setting up track stops and having dwarves carry the magma a shorter distance, although I personally might just carry magma up to a massive reservoir and then set up systems to funnel it out to other projects.  Also, my embark had no iron, so I did that track using only, I believe, 6 or so iron, although that track is only using two carts. 

Expwnent, meanwhile, set up a much more efficient system with no wall collisions that could drop 2/7 magma every 11 ticks, I believe, which rivals a pump stack in speed (if only because draining magma from the magma sea eventually results in the bottom pump not being able to reach more magma until the magma sea refills) without the massive cost in resources or the FPS death.

Also, protip: USE MACROS. Each floor of a 4x4 elevator will take about 20 keypresses, and you'll be going up over 100z levels, so you're going to get bored silly doing it manual.  To keep the macro short, try doing only every fourth floor at a time in a macro, then going back to the bottom, and trying again from there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:39:27 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]