Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My own history records?  (Read 1615 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My own history records?
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:43:37 am »

I´ve seen on the web a lot of cool, funny, and/or dramatic stories from different dwarf fortresses. Are they free interpretations of each fortress owner/creator based loosely on what happens in their world? or is there a way to keep track of important events on your fortress?
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My own history records?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:11:34 am »

Stories are all about in-game true events. Stuff like what dwarves said to each other, etc are made up but everything else, down to the very specific battle reports (biting fingers) happens in-game.

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:32 am »

Stories are all about in-game true events. Stuff like what dwarves said to each other, etc are made up but everything else, down to the very specific battle reports (biting fingers) happens in-game.
what would be the best way to get to this reports? I´ve tried once with legendviewer but I didnt quite get that. Is there an easier way? Or maybe I should take a little time to try and figure that legendviewer out
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:27:51 am »

Press 'r' for battle reports.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:27:38 am »

also if you want to make a story try either taking notes of various things and screenshotting battle reports
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »

Try watching particular dwarves going about their daily life. Maybe pick a few in particular and give them nice bedrooms and particular offices. Make up a rationalization for their privileged status, and start building the fort around their imagined lives?

Or play sloppily and watch the drama as things go wrong. That's another approach.

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 09:36:00 am »

also if you want to make a story try either taking notes of various things and screenshotting battle reports
Try watching particular dwarves going about their daily life. Maybe pick a few in particular and give them nice bedrooms and particular offices. Make up a rationalization for their privileged status, and start building the fort around their imagined lives?

Or play sloppily and watch the drama as things go wrong. That's another approach.

Ok thank for the advices! I guess I ´ll try to finish building my fortress first and then start recording my history for the generations to come

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 01:19:51 pm »

Ok thank for the advices! I guess I ´ll try to finish building my fortress first and then start recording my history for the generations to come

If you want you can always start a community fort when you get the hang of it! BLAZECOOKS is only such fun because so many people get involved in it. Forumites always add their own little quirks to how a dorf should be treated/behave, and it adds a little bit of spice to the story.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 06:12:17 pm »

One of the hardest things bout DF is its opacity. It takes a while to get a hang of reading the game so that you can actually understand what's going on at any given moment. If you don't bother to look at the personalities of individual dwarves and their relations or watch carefully as they interact with the world around then you miss a lot of what is going on. You have to actively seek out the clues and information since DF tends to hide it in obscure menus etc.

You end up finding a dead legendary dwarf sitting next to some Forgotten Beast carcass and then not being able to figure out exactly what happened to them unless you were watching it as it went down. After pouring through the battle reports you may finally figure out that the legendary miner was ambushed by a Forgotten Beast that snuck in through the fortress's plumping and that he epicly brained the thing with his pickaxe after losing both his legs to it, but later succumbed to the bleeding. You might then notice dwarves mysteriously melting half a year later for no apparent reason but once you investigate a bit you find that the same forgotten beast had toxic blood that carried a flesh melting syndrome which has been tracked through the fortress and infected your dwarves because your sock maker was tantruming because his masterwork robe was stolen by a Kia and your dwarves have been treading through poison barefooted because of it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:32:46 pm by Melting Sky »

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:29:50 am »

One of the hardest things bout DF is its opacity. It takes a while to get a hang of reading the game so that you can actually understand what's going on at any given moment. If you don't bother to look at the personalities of individual dwarves and their relations or watch carefully as they interact with the world around then you miss a lot of what is going on. You have to actively seek out the clues and information since DF tends to hide it in obscure menus etc.

You end up finding a dead legendary dwarf sitting next to some Forgotten Beast carcass and then not being able to figure out exactly what happened to them unless you were watching it as it went down. After pouring through the battle reports you may finally figure out that the legendary miner was ambushed by a Forgotten Beast that snuck in through the fortress's plumping and that he epicly brained the thing with his pickaxe after losing both his legs to it, but later succumbed to the bleeding. You might then notice dwarves mysteriously melting half a year later for no apparent reason but once you investigate a bit you find that the same forgotten beast had toxic blood that carried a flesh melting syndrome which has been tracked through the fortress and infected your dwarves because your sock maker was tantruming because his masterwork robe was stolen by a Kia and your dwarves have been treading through poison barefooted because of it.

Damn, dwarf fortress isn´t just a game. It´s a portal to another dimension.