Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Civ IV - Let's Try the British Empire: The Industrial Revolution  (Read 16878 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civ IV - Let's Try the United Kingdom: The Enlightenment
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2016, 06:51:49 pm »

So... unexpected events have happened.  I'm about fifty years off the 'full' invasion (I could probably do it in ten, twenty years if I started right now), but Zara has just up and offered to bend the knee.

I'm conflicted.  On the one hand, this does technically put us one step further towards our goal of total hegemony over the eastern hemisphere, and I can always shift my focus to killing Gilgamesh.  On the other hand, I have been prepping an invasion for two centuries now and if I accept his fealty he'll keep his cities.  Granted, said cities are a bit ruined due to all the privateering, but still...

Do we accept his fealty, or crush him on principle?  It's not like we can't use the army on Sumer instead.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2016, 07:41:45 pm »

So... unexpected events have happened.  I'm about fifty years off the 'full' invasion (I could probably do it in ten, twenty years if I started right now), but Zara has just up and offered to bend the knee.

I'm conflicted.  On the one hand, this does technically put us one step further towards our goal of total hegemony over the eastern hemisphere, and I can always shift my focus to killing Gilgamesh.  On the other hand, I have been prepping an invasion for two centuries now and if I accept his fealty he'll keep his cities.  Granted, said cities are a bit ruined due to all the privateering, but still...

Do we accept his fealty, or crush him on principle?  It's not like we can't use the army on Sumer instead.

Take the vassalage and refocus on Sumer.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2016, 08:03:14 pm »

Clearly Victory gave Zara a stirring vision of his future which was shaking enough for him to bend the knee immediately; refusing his vassalage would be refusing a boon granted by Victory herself.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2016, 01:46:41 am »

Nah, don't you guys remember the women and children killed by the devious Ethipians? We need blood to avenge our deads!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2016, 01:51:55 am »

Yeah, Conquer them all! No sense in letting an army go to waste :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2016, 02:33:57 am »

Ooh, split down the middle.  I'll leave off continuing for a little, see which way the wind blows, then go ahead and vassalize/crush.  I really could go either way, of course; the best victory sheds no blood, but on the flip side they do have tasty towns to take - but we can take land from Sumer easily enough instead.  Also we can still culture flip 'peaceful' cities even if they're our vassals, though it's a less certain method.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2016, 06:06:53 am »

The closer a captured city is to your capital or forbidden Palace, the faster it will cease to be a net drag on your economy, right?

Since I'm overseas (and apparently Japan likes blocking your image hosting site) I can't check the maps/images you've posted... But if I remember, Zara's cities are closest (and on the same continent), right?

Done right, you should be able to take the cities you want and then go crush the Sumarians after a minor delay to rebuild the captured cities' infrastructure.

TL;DR: My vote is to kill whoever is closest. A pretty good principal to follow in general, really.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2016, 08:34:48 am »

Yeah just gobble up Zara's land with swift conquest and then go after Sumerians.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2016, 01:42:16 pm »

It makes more logical sense to just accept their pledge of allegiance from basically any real-world perspective, since those forces are better spent on the people who aren't basically prepared to give you what you want without a fight.

In-game, of course, you might want some of their cities. Or one of the wonders they built. Or just to make sure their shit is thoroughly wrecked (I don't really remember what vassals did in Civ IV - if they give you any techs they discover, might be more profitable to leave them as-is). If none of those are the case, just accept the allegiance and spend those people on someone else.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2016, 12:38:21 pm »

Don't forget that a peace-vassal (ie one who voluntarily becomes your vassal when not at war) is free to break away at any time if they wish, while a capitulated vassal cannot.

It's also possible for a vassal who has at least 3 cities remaining to unexpectedly win a cultural victory from under your nose - though realistically this will never happen on Noble.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civ IV - Let's Try the UK: The Golden Age of Piracy
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »

Yarrr!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:27 pm »

Disclaimer: Despite what the title says, there is no pirating involved at all :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2016, 04:59:11 pm »

Disclaimer: Despite what the title says, there is no pirating involved at all :P

Sixty years of brutal privateering, I think you'll find.  No screencaps because actually it looks pretty damned boring, but the strategic effects are amazing.  At the start of this chapter, Ethiopia was neck and neck with us on research and ready to overtake us.  Thirty turns of piracy later, they have been reduced to a third-rate vassal nation, barely able to keep up with Mali's tech rate.  Mali.

Piracy is god-damned awesome.  Especially combined with some strategic improvement sabotage by spies because Espionage, also, is god-damned awesome.  They just use a lot of resources and the right techniques to use properly.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »

The casting votes were made by a small minority party with deeply Confucian beliefs, who considered the offer to be a sign from Victory, one not easily to be ignored.

Wait, was it really a deadlock?  Looking through the thread it seems to be three in favor and four not in favor of accepting the vassalage. Was it really that inconvenient to invade Zara?
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2016, 05:43:44 pm »

The casting votes were made by a small minority party with deeply Confucian beliefs, who considered the offer to be a sign from Victory, one not easily to be ignored.

Wait, was it really a deadlock?  Looking through the thread it seems to be three in favor and four not in favor of accepting the vassalage. Was it really that inconvenient to invade Zara?

Close enough that I used my own judgement to tip the scales.  Also I didn't have Moron's post when I made the call, so it was more closely balanced.  Weirdly, though, that was actually a pro to accepting their vassalage; I can crush them voluntarily by initiating a war with them - you can't DoW your vassal normally, but if you keep forcibly demanding tribute they'll eventually flip and you can crush them at your leisure.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7