Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Civ IV - Let's Try the British Empire: The Industrial Revolution  (Read 16872 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CIV IV - THE ENGLISH, AGAIN

And so, once again, we attempt to follow the glorious history of the English throughout time, from their earliest beginnings at the pre-Briton celts to their eventual fate as we know them today...

The early Britons first began to form true, lasting settlements around 4,000 BCE.  They were primarily a mining and fishing community, and it is roughly about this time that we see the influence of the cult of Victory, the patron goddess of the Britons.  The Victorian cult strongly encouraged barter and commerce between the early Briton clans, but also placed a dual emphasis on child-rearing and a warior culture, encouraging a wide spread of their kind and skilled commanders to lead them in battle.

The largest of these early settlements was founded by the Trinovantes and the Belgae, which would eventually become the site of London but for now we shall term "Trinovantum" after the chief clan living there.  The Belgae cleaved to the more militaristic side of Victory's teachings and are known to have ranged far and wide in their hunts and explorations.  The Thames Valley, just off the British Coast, was a fertile land filled with Neolithic forests, aurochs, wild barley and a veritable feast of clams for the early Britons to harvest.

The Trinovantes traded extensively with clans to their north, including the then-fledgling Iceni, who knew the secrets of working tin and even making bronze from imported copper (copper itself was notably absent in their surrounds).  The earliest evidence of this trade is a tin bracelet found in an old Trinovantan burial trove, circa 3970BCE.

[We found a village that gave us the Bronze Working tech.  Very nice!]

The Belgae in particular were very wide-ranging, and there are lion-tooth necklaces dating back to the late 3800s BCE, most likely from protracted hunting of the now-extinct English Lion, which still graces nationalist banners today.

In the mid 3600s BCE, we find traces of Ethiopian spears amongst the burial troves of the Belgae, most likely from trading with hunters in northern Wales.  Protracted hostilities with the early Ethiopes seem unlikely during this period of history, and such spears are more likely to be marriage gifts or the result of trade rather than taken as war trophies.

By the late 3600s BCE, Trinovantes traders made contact with the Dumnonii, fleet-footed hunters from the north of Wales.  Whilst not particularly capable in an out and out fight, these Dumnonii married extensively into the Trinovantes and lent their capability as scouts and rangers to the increase of trade and exploration throughout and beyond the British Peninsula.  Further exploration by the Dumnonii encouraged further trading, marriage gifts and tribute to the point where 141 pounds of silver in coins and jewellery were found in the barrow of a Dumnonii chief of the time.

More than this, the Dumnonii living in Trinovantum brought much-needed insights to the fishermen living on the Thames.  Although the Dumnonii were hunter-gatherers rather than farmers themselves, living in the relatively sparse north of Wales, far from the coast and close to the deserts, the Dumnonii had learnt to gather from the hardy, large-grained grasses of the area.  With the sheer boon of natural barley in the region, the combination of Dumnonii experience with grain and the Trinovantes technique and (importantly) surpluses of dried fish and other foods, resulted in the beginning of true agriculture.

Thus, by approximately 3500BCE, Trinovantum and its four constituent tribes had grown to a stable town of six thousand people (with many more roving and hunting in the countryside), subsisiting off a diet of primarily seafood (especially shellfish, which the Trinovantes farmed extensively) with small amounts of wild beef and barley to round their meals off.  They traded and roved extensively throughout the British Peninsula, as far north as the Scots Peaks and as far east as the Bay of Wales.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:24:48 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Civ IV - Let's Try England Again
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:37:58 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »

Just want to say that I find this style for the updates highly engaging.

Good job, can't wait for more.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:34:11 pm »

Yeah, it's very good. PTW!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:26:14 pm »

3500 BCE - 2400 BCE

It is notable that around this period (circa 3460 BCE) we see the birth of Siddarhta Gautama elsewhere in the world and the eventual rise of Buddhism from his teachings.  The early Britons were largely untouched by these events, of course.  Not thirty years later did the Vedic revival happen elsewhere, heralding the birth of Hinduism.

Whilst religious development was occurring across the world, the Belgae began developing the ferocity and skill in deep melee for which they would become reknowned in later history.  Much of this development coincides with their eradication of the English Lion.  The Iceni, now thoroughly integrated into life in Trinovantum, proved themselves to be skilled agriculturalists, irrigating land next to the Thames and farming the natural barley.  Taming the fields would be a process that would take generations, but eventually provide a bounty of surplus grain to the Britons.  It is about this time that we also begin to see enough grain produced for bread to become a popular addition to shellfish.

A natural progression of barley farming resulted in the need for draught animals to pull the ploughs necessary to furrow the land.  The local aurochs proved an excellent option, and it was during the late 32nd century BCE that animal husbandry really began to be developed as a shared skill amongst the Britons.  Similarly, the previously uninteresting horses native to the area were picked out for their value as draught animals, although they still remained inferior to the aurochs in terms of meat, hide and milk.

The increased farming also resulted in the discovery of St Brandon's Wort, a herb which nowadays is used to treat hypertension, heart disorders and anxiety.  Whilst ultimately it proved to be quite a boon to Britons throughout history, a certain amount of over-use in its early days resulted in... mass overdoses and brutal death.  The perceived cruelty of the ruling Trinovantes, particularly by the Iceni who bore the brunt of the early tests, took several generations to fade; at least in the wake of later, actual cruelty.

[I nearly didn't engage in this event until I realised that the health bonus was permanent, whilst the unhappiness was not.  Brutally experimenting on my people has a 90% chance of +2 Health for the rest of the game, a 50% chance of losing 1 population from all cities and a certainty of 2 Unhappiness.  The good news is, the Unhappiness will fade.  It's the same unhappiness you get if you brutally whip your population and does eventually fade with time.  Unless we engage in some whipping, that is.]

By the turn of the third millenium BCE, Trinovantum had 21,000 citizens and a fair amount of civil unrest.  The heavy losses suffered by the Iceni, in addition to concerns that the Belgae were spending too much time abroad instead of protecting the town, stalled further significant growth for centuries and forced the Belgae warriors to return to Trinovantum as a more permanent guard force.

Nevertheless, despite the lack of expansion it should not be assumed that the people of Trinovantum were idle.  The Dumnonii made great strides domesticating horses in this time, with intact horse skeletons found in digs dating back to 2900BCE, although at this point they were used for labour rather than riding - saddles would not be discovered in burial troves for centuries to come.  Indeed, we have records of horse-based yokes predating ox-based yokes by nearly a century.

The first evidence of a horse-drawn vehicle in Britain comes from the broken parts of a chariot found in southern England, likely abandoned during bad conditions and preserved remarkably well beneath the soil.  From the design it appears to have belonged to a Dumnonii chief, likely dating to the late 29th century BCE, approximately a hundred years after horses were first domesticated in England.  This demonstrates a clear path from draught beasts pulling ploughs to use as transportation pulling chariots and wagons - and also gives us evidence of the time period in which the use of the wheel in transportation began in Britain.

Approximately during this period, the Ambiani clan split off from the Belgae, eager to roam and hunt beyond the limits of Trinovantum.

During the early 28th century BCE, we have evidence of Sumerian oars in Dumnonii grave gifts, again suggesting moderately peaceful interaction not displayed further back in the archeological record.  We know from this that the Sumerians had already begun roving abroad in triremes and other shallow-water vessels.

Britain remained quiet for some time after, with the Britons and the Ethiopes largely keeping out of one another's ways, occasionally trading or marrying as needed.  The 25th century BCE saw the advent of true masonry, dredging up and baking bricks from the clay of the Thames to build better housing and reinforce the irrigation channels for the barley farms.

The mid-2400s BCE also give us the foundations of the settlement of Ambianum in northern Wales, composed primarily of discontented Iceni and the warrior clan of the Ambiani as their protectors.  The new town was cut off from its forebears in many ways and trade would remain scattered between the towns until river and coastal travel became more widespread.  Nevertheless the dual boons of surface copper, easily mined in great abundance, along with the fertile soil of the Severn flood plains, attracted many to the wealth and bounty of the region.

This far east into Wales, it was natural that a certain amount of mixing of blood and culture would be had with the natives of the Ethiopian south, and there remains evidence of several power struggles at the time where the people wished to adopt the cultures of the Ethiopes.  Nevertheless, the Ambianii held a firm grip on the town, especially given its strategic importance for the availability of copper.

By the year 2400 BCE, the Britons had spread their influence far, but thinly.  In the coming centuries, this influence was to spread still further.

Yeah, it's very good. PTW!

Thank you!  I enjoy the documentary style.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:27:49 am »

Yeah, I was a bit in a hurry last time, but I read the two updates now, and they're every bit as good as I remember. I really like the naming of units for celtic tribes. Can't help rooting for the Belgae, although if memory serve they are unrelated to the ones from Belgian Gaul, right?

Keep it up!

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:31:13 am »

Yeah, I was a bit in a hurry last time, but I read the two updates now, and they're every bit as good as I remember. I really like the naming of units for celtic tribes. Can't help rooting for the Belgae, although if memory serve they are unrelated to the ones from Belgian Gaul, right?

Keep it up!

Yeah, I slightly screwed up my choice, as the Belgae turned up in Britain pretty late due to raiding/getting the flip away from the Romans.  Still, it's done now so that's what we're sticking with.  I haven't shown them in screenshots yet, but the Iceni are what I've named the worker unit, so let's not draw too many assumptions on the nature of tribes by their name.  I'm basically just making this up as I go along.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:55:48 am »

Oh, you're right. I must have been confusing with some other british tride who had the same name as an unrelated tribe in Germany. I've finished an history of the Legio XIV Gemina, which is almost all I know of British tribes, so I'm far from an expert. :)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:59:06 am »

Oh, you're right. I must have been confusing with some other british tride who had the same name as an unrelated tribe in Germany. I've finished an history of the Legio XIV Gemina, which is almost all I know of British tribes, so I'm far from an expert. :)

Oh no, the Belgae totally were a British tribe, but they more or less made their way to Britain from Gaul.  I just should have picked a less continental tribe name.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:11:27 am »

Right, but they're related to the mainland Belgae. I remember in my book of the author mentioning a tribe and specifying they were unrelated to a mainland tribe of the same name. I though those were the Belgae, and that as such the Belgae of your LP would be unrelated to the one peopling what is now Belgium, and with whihc, thanks to bad 19th century history, I tend to identify.

However, I was wrong in this case, as they are in fact the same tribe (or an offshoot of said tribe), and I get to roots for them. Yay! Cannot wait for the Queen's Own First Belgian Rifles to crush some Ethiopians in a few millenia.  :D

Out of curiosity, if you try to present this as some kind of English history, will we have a Norman takeover?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 06:05:45 am »

Following...
This is a blank sig.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:14:31 am »

2400 BCE - 1600 BCE: The Barrow Builders

A splinter clan from the Trinovantes, the Cantiaci, is believed to have emerged during the early 24th century BCE.  This coincides with the further growth of Trinovantum, reaching some 48,000 permanent inhabitants.  Myths of the cruelty of the Trinovantes begin to die off during this period, so it seems likely that unrest declined in the city and its surrounds.

The late 23rd century BCE saw the development of Judaism elsewhere in the world, whilst Britain continued to struggle through its traditional forms of paganism without any clear, organised religion.  It is to this century that we can date the earliest foundations of Cantiacum, the Cantiaci colony founded amidst the wastes of western England.  Whilst certainly a miserable, wretched location, the ever-burgeoning demands of trade most likely compelled the Cantiaci to form their town.  Local emmer (a form of wheat) was plentiful, West Anglia has traditionally been excellent crab country, and the greatest demand of all was granite.  West Anglia even today still houses some of the finest, most plentiful granite in the world, and it was this heavy demand that would shape the future.

In particular, the need for heavy transport dramatically accelerated the design of ships in the era.  Whereas traditionally nothing more elaborate than fishing boats had been built by the Britons, larger galleys were seen in this period as a way of moving much-needed stone and copper from Cantiacum and Ambianum via coast and river to Trinovantum.

It was only by the early 21st century BCE that the Britons began to truly formalise their beliefs, particularly in the goddess Victory, with an entrenched sense of mysticism.  The advent of sailing as a technique for spreading ideas is held to have sparked something of a religious revolution at the time.

By the time Stonehenge was built elsewhere in the world (circa 2010 BCE), Cantiacum had developed a well-established an efficient network of granite quarries, shipping tons of stone at a time to Trinovantum and other parts of the British network of settlements.  Although the settlement remained small, the Cantiaci were unusually wealthy for the era - if as a result of the back-breaking labour of their Iceni workers.  Granite began to be incorporated in large part in the barrows of the Trinovantes, which became more and more elaborate and often impressive above-ground structures.

The 20th century BCE saw the construction of monuments by chieftains, typically in an effort to commemorate their deeds or the deeds of their ancestors.  Whilst indulgent and boasting (and at times outright false) these monuments helped to cement tribal identites and to record the deeds of a clan.  The 20th century also saw a period of growing discontent amongst the other tribes of Britain, with many seeking to seize the fruits of Briton labours by force.  In response, new splinter warrior clans developed, such as the Atrebates descending from the Ambiani.

The turn of the 19th century BCE (1900-1800 BCE, for those students amongst you who are getting confused by the terminology) saw the Great Wall being built elsewhere in the world, a land untroubled by the difficulties of their more violent tribal neighbours.  In Wales, local Silures spearmen frequently engaged in skirmishes with the Atrebates and Ambiani over territory.  The Atrebates, however, in pooling their wealth had begun to make use of bronze axes, a technology that despite existing for over two thousand years had not been extensively used because of the costs involved in equipping large numbers of men with bronze.

As an addendum, the great wonders of the ancient world became increasingly popular in this time, with the Temple of Artemis constructed once again in foreign lands by 1800BCE.

The advent of pictographs in recording the deeds of ancient chiefs necessitated a more advanced and durable method of retaining knowledge for the future.  The oldest record we have of a true written word dates back to 1780BCE, on three tablets dictating the achievements of a petty king called Brandon (or possibly Brendan).  Over the next century writing seems to become more profilic, with writing materials and damaged records found in barrows even where legible text is not.  Barrow walls became more elaborate, often made of granite with carved writing detailing the life and times of the deceased.

By the time of the 17th century BCE, the Brigantes of West Anglia had developed the shortbow, a weapon that had thus far eluded the Cantiaci, steadfast melee fighters who for the most part were still using clubs and simple spears.  Whilst the Cantiaci remained able to chase off the Brigantine raids, they found themselves on the losing side of an arms race.

In 1640BCE, the Great Pyramid of Trinovantum was completed, the greatest and last of the great Trinovantes barrows.  It interred Imanuentius, king of Trinovantum and the Trinovantes, and the pyramid included not merely his own tomb but barrows for all of his bondsmen, servants and wives.  The demand for grave gifts and construction materials was so great that it contributed in large part to the deforestation of the Bronze Age forests surrounding Trinovantum (although in large part this was due to increased demand for farmland).

Unfortunately for Imanuentius' successors, the vast exploitation of the Iceni and other clans under the Trinovantes, whilst never reaching the point of actual slavery was still considered by many to be intolerable, especially in the light of such grand works.  Shortly after Imanuentius' death in 1630BCE a series of uprisings and clan wars occured that would carry on for most of Imanuentius' son Mandubracius' life.  Mandubracius spent twenty years fighting and treating, eventually reaching peace more through force of words than force of arms; in 1620 BCE Mandubracius met with the petty kings of the Ambiani, Atrebates, Dumnonii and Cantiaci and agreed upon a formalised government of the tribal states of Britain.  Each clan would send forth their own king to be part of a ruling council, with a High King chosen from amongst them.  In this way the Britons would be represented (with, admittedly, the exception of the Iceni) and so relative peace would reign.  For his efforts, the petty kings did select Mandubracius to be the first High King.  He ruled for 41 days.

Mandubracius ultimately never completed his own pyramid and was interred in a smaller tomb attached to his father's grand barrow.  This would set the tone for later barrows; some would be humble, others exquisite, but no barrow would ever match the sheer extravagance of the Great Pyramid that was Imanuentius' tomb.[/i]

[We just adopted the Representation civic, made possible because the Great Pyramid gives access to all government civics once built.  This gives us a +3 Happiness bonus to our largest 6 cities (we have 3) and +3 beakers to any specialists.  We aren't using specialists, but the happiness bonus is essential to growth since we lack religion and we don't have enough cities or gold to make Universal Suffrage worthwhile.]

A map of Britain, circa 1600BCE.  Ethiopia is to the south-west.

Right, but they're related to the mainland Belgae. I remember in my book of the author mentioning a tribe and specifying they were unrelated to a mainland tribe of the same name. I though those were the Belgae, and that as such the Belgae of your LP would be unrelated to the one peopling what is now Belgium, and with whihc, thanks to bad 19th century history, I tend to identify.

However, I was wrong in this case, as they are in fact the same tribe (or an offshoot of said tribe), and I get to roots for them. Yay! Cannot wait for the Queen's Own First Belgian Rifles to crush some Ethiopians in a few millenia.  :D

Out of curiosity, if you try to present this as some kind of English history, will we have a Norman takeover?

Norman-ish.  Depends on when we have revolutions and which civs we meet.  I'll try to at least turn Trinovantum into London at some point.  Also, technically the British Peninsula is actually the British Isle.  Perhaps the land bridge sank in the intervening two thousand years?

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civ IV - Let's Try Britain: The Barrow Builders
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 02:23:51 pm »

What difficulty are you playing on? Map settings? Any mods?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 04:06:55 pm »

What difficulty are you playing on? Map settings? Any mods?

Civ IV Beyond the Sword (no additional mods), Huge Terran Map (everyone starts on a few continents on the Old World, the New World exists and is populated by barbarians but not civs), Marathon speed, Noble Difficulty.  We're playing Noble because I'm not skilled enough to do harder, frankly.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 06:02:55 pm »

One piece of advice if you do want to go onto harder difficulties: Your 2nd and 3rd cities are way too far away from the capital.

It probably won't hurt too much on Noble, but above that distance-related maintenance costs really mount up and will kill your economy.

Nice writeup though. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7