Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seal yourself off?  (Read 832 times)

Mahdarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seal yourself off?
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:55:17 am »

Is their a way to seal myself off from the outside world completely? No caravans, invaders, etc. Just me, my dwarfs, and my fortress

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Seal yourself off?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:11:43 am »

Embark on an island.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mahdarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:59 am »

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:26:10 am »

I thought you would still get caravans on an island.

You can just seal up or wall off the entrance.  Set your pop cap to 7 and you won't get migrants.  Set all your locations to citizens only and you won't get visitors.  Without a trade depot you won't get caravans.  When you breach a cavern just plug the hole and dig around.  I think the only thing you absolutely can't stop is the liaison.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:42:46 pm »

Caravans will still arrive even if you don't have a trade depot. The wagons will bypass your site, but the animal haulers will wait for you to build one (or open the path to an existing one). I assume those will leave after waiting for a while, though.
An isolated island guarantees no neighbors will disturb you, but the caravan, liaison, and migrants will still show up. I suspect titans and (semi)megabeasts will show up as well (although you can create a world without them, through advanced world gen).
As mentioned, setting the pop cap can block migrants.

You can actually get rid of the caravans and liaison as well, if your civ is truly dead (NOT struggling), although that's fairly hard to achieve. vjek has some world seeds that are fairly reliable for dead civ generation, though.
It can be noted that a dead civ will get two migrant waves and no more (and you can block those as well through the pop cap). I find the pop resulting from two waves to be sufficient to get a fortress going reasonably well without having to micro manage the dorfs so they change hats all the time.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 05:15:29 pm »

Can't you just pick an environment with extreme heights and or forest cover? Likewise couldn't you just wall off the edges of the map? I think caravans and armies used to (and might still) have trouble / wouldn't arrive at all if the site was deemed inaccessible.

I phrased most of that as a question because I am not sure of the science behind those thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:20:26 pm by Killgoth »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:07:34 pm »

If you have no passable tiles at the edge of the map I'm fairly certain nothing at all arrives still. I've had an all water border and have used dfhack liquids to place obsidian walls along the border, since they have no floor tile on top - impassable. Apparently bridges work as well but too much work for me.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 01:05:27 pm »

Dig. Seal the entrance(s) to the hole you made with a wall. Done.

You are now entombed and no outside force can enter your hidey hole. You might want to make sure you have water access etc. first.