Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ability to grasp lost = Death sentence?  (Read 4538 times)

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ability to grasp lost = Death sentence?
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »

Hi there. I'm not sure if this is old or new stuff, but I found one of my militia dwarves just standing in one spot in the middle of an alcohol stockpile. Apparently he went for a drink, but a confrontation with goblins left him unable to grasp anything with motor nerves broken in each hand. I watched him stand there doing nothing for a while, and then forgot about the matter. Later, he was found dead by dehydration on the same exact spot. He did have "drink" listed as his current task, if I remember correctly, but there were no job cancellation messages. There also was a mug lying on the same tile with him. I'd guess he perpetually tried to pick up the mug and have a drink from it. Without working hands.

I tried to search for more information regarding the matter and from what I read, at least in older versions handless dwarves should still be able to drink and eat. The older versions didn't have dwarves picking up mugs, though. Anyone else been experiencing this?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to grasp lost = Death sentence?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:28:28 pm »

Yup, I've had a dwarf die of dehydration in the middle of my tavern's booze stockpile. Same situation, unable to grasp the mug. I've been told that if he couldn't get a mug he'd just drink out of the barrel. But that would require a mugless fort, which results in lots of bad feelings.

I don't know of a good solution.

Maybe if you get a dwarf that's unable to grasp with both hands, you should just use him as a cavern explorer.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:37:18 pm »

A several z-level drop directly into the hospital?

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 03:36:50 pm »

Aw, crap. So, it's an issue then. Well, I guess dwarves without grasp would be quite useless anyway. On the other hand, the death they face craving that sweet, sweet dwarven ale and staring at a mug unable to lift it sounds like the dwarven equivalent of hell..

Maybe if you get a dwarf that's unable to grasp with both hands, you should just use him as a cavern explorer.

Very reasonable ideas to keep in mind for the future. Although, the last dwarf I sent to the caverns is still alive unliberated from his mental condition.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »

Aw, crap. So, it's an issue then. Well, I guess dwarves without grasp would be quite useless anyway. On the other hand, the death they face craving that sweet, sweet dwarven ale and staring at a mug unable to lift it sounds like the dwarven equivalent of hell..

Very reasonable ideas to keep in mind for the future. Although, the last dwarf I sent to the caverns is still alive unliberated from his mental condition.

Use him as bait for werecreatures. If he survives, he'll get his hands back. If he dies, at least you'll know there's a werebeast on the map.

Edit: Odd little error there.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:35:07 pm by Starweaver396 »
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »

It's sufficient to ensure the crippled dorf cannot reach any mugs, in which case he'll drink directly from the barrel. You could, for instance, set up a burrow at a place with booze but no mugs. I'm not sure if forbidding or dumping the mug he's holding will cause him to stop trying to use it. If it doesn't, DFHack has a command to teleport all dump designated objects to a selected tile, so if you don't have anything else dump designated you could strip the mug from him that way (after ensuring he's burrowed so he don't fetch another one).

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:21:45 pm »

Yea Dwarves with no grasp create tons of problems. Like job cancelling spam and such. In the future this should be fixed, (they shouldn't take jobs they can't do due to lack of grasp) and they should drink directly from barrels.

But for now, I just exile them or murder them. Severely injuring them so that they are stuck in a hospital might also work, as they will be given water by other dwarves.

One thing I'd like in the future though is for dwarves to be given specific single task prosthetics.
Imagine a dwarf with no arm, but instead a wooden pole attached to his shoulder which has an inbuilt cupholder.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »

One thing I'd like in the future though is for dwarves to be given specific single task prosthetics.
Imagine a dwarf with no arm, but instead a wooden pole attached to his shoulder which has an inbuilt cupholder.

Like Captain Hook, has a selection of attachable hand-tools.  Or for a Forgotten Realms reference, like Belwar Dissengulp.  This is too dwarvish to NOT have!

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:12:49 pm »

Like Captain Hook, has a selection of attachable hand-tools.  Or for a Forgotten Realms reference, like Belwar Dissengulp.  This is too dwarvish to NOT have!

I just looked Belwar Dissengulp up on the google and that is insanely metal. I was pretty much thinking the same thing for my prosphetics idea. I particularily want it for militia dwarves. Having a dwarf with a blade on his arm stump, or even a crossbow is pretty metal in my opinion.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:14:32 pm »

Or you destroy/forbid all mugs so they all drink directly from barrels.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155964

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 01:16:11 am »

Or the dwarves could just invent straws.  :P

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:54:29 pm »

Or the dwarves could just invent straws.  :P

What did you think that +wooden pipe section+ was for?

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 07:58:16 pm »

A trial run for future magma transportation design?

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 08:50:39 pm »

I hope that pump wasn't manually operated... Oh wait, yes I do.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 09:03:29 pm »

Also: you better hope that a dwarf is wearing armor when they lose their ability to grasp, because they won't be putting any new clothing items again ever. Thus, if they are wearing clothing instead of armor, it will eventually rot away, leaving them naked and very unhappy about it.

I'm hoping that eventually the simulation will allow a dwarf that can't dress himself to get help from his comrades. But at the moment, they'll just step over him and keep walking.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: [1] 2