Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 65376 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2016, 09:51:42 pm »

I'm opposed to killing him. It's more convoluted than just trying to get his shit together, would take a really long time to come to fruition (waiting for him to show pity to Lilly, then waiting for Lilly to eat him, then waiting for Dad to get done cleaning Sylvester, THEN waiting for Dad to clean Glen), would imply the two belong together much stronger than I'd like (just because we're courting every psychopath in town doesn't mean he's not still our husband), and would be much worse for public image. Remember, Glen's very well-liked across the Duchy.

So to that end, let's order his soldiers (either as their Duchess or through him) to stand down and relax while we have a chat with Glen in private, and then try to make him our personal servant while he works his way back into being sane enough to recontrol his County. In the meantime, we can appoint Redding to aid Miri in doing so; Miri has the political clout and experience to manage her own domestic affairs, but we need someone with military experience for a county right next to hostile forces, and Charlie's busy elsewhere.

Once we get him in private, we try to encourage him to fight for Syvester's legacy in a more... restrained fashion, and assure him that Sylvester will be vindicated by history.

Spoiler: Proposed Speech (click to show/hide)
+1
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »

waiting for him to show pity to Lilly, then waiting for Lilly to eat him
Any act of pity would work, I think. She can just pretend to be a crying child so that he helps her. Or maybe I didn't understand correctly. Also, there is no need to wait for her to eat his soul, in fact, that would be counter-productive to the whole soul-stealing thing. I thought that this would be quick, but actually I don't know. So, the best way to know is:

Question to the GM: will it be quick if Lilly skips the whole soul-devouring process and just goes straight to the suicide part?

In theory, she could go right to the suicide. Glen is strong willed, so if he isn't actually feeling suicidal (which he very well could be), she might have to eat his soul a bit before she is able to make him bump himself off, in which case he would be damaged goods if brought back as an undead.

---

@Owl

Soul Cleaning takes longer much if you want to preserve the memories and personality of the soul you are working. If he isn't worried about knocking some memories and traits out of the soul, and infusing some new ones in, your father can crank one out with about 18-30 hours of work. One or two if he is just stripping it for scrap and parts.

Also, your birthday is the only time your dad could give you the soul for free, so he is making sure he has the soul done by then, it probably will not actually take him that long (although grafting the engineering skill in could make it close).  Sylvester died late in month 3 (lets just say the 23rd day to establish a clear timeline from here on out), but it took time for word to reach you, more time for Glen to escape and bring your household back, and more time still to travel from the Horton's place to Groghall. Your father waited a bit before he started, to see if you would call in and request a specific type of undeath, but he wasn't going to wait forever.

The Hortons are not a Royal Duchy family (unless I made a typo in the dump on them). They are from Tradewind Duchy, which is just north of Redleaf. They are one of the Romance Houses, which I will explain better whenever I dump on the Riverlands, but it essentially means that the Hortons, outside of Glen's direct bloodline which was given a county by Sylvester's grandfather, have little in the way of land, men, or political connections, but are well endowed when it comes to cash and ties to various trade guilds.

I aim to start writing the turn in about four hours, and it would be nice if I could have a bit more discussion about what to do for the rest of the week before then.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2016, 11:17:28 pm »

Did Count Gulf actually denounce Sylvester or was he thrown out of office for not doing so?  If so, off with his head.  Make it clear, traitors die, starting at the top.  Let it be a lesson to Redding about why he should be convincing his family to switch sides now.

We should know more, but I think Glen is right about executing the leaders.
This will alienate everyone who isn't already on our side and persuade no one.

Everyone swore fealty to Prince Rubicon except Glen and Miri Horton and Charlie and Phineas Kinkaid. I'm not sure if that involved denouncing Sylvester or not.

I aim to start writing the turn in about four hours, and it would be nice if I could have a bit more discussion about what to do for the rest of the week before then.
For the rest of the week, I'd like to get us started on Fortune's pet snake and setting up Syzzik's daughter as a soul cleaner.

The soul cleaner part is easy but a little distasteful. We can check back at the guardhouse; if the same serious prisoners are still awaiting trial, we check each of them out to figure out who will be least missed. Then we murder that one and let Mable eat its delicious soul and begin cleaning it. Mable gets practice, we get in better with Syzzik and family.

The python's a harder project. We've got Wednesday working on it with a really broad net, but we might want to go more directly to look for a druid ourselves. Redding should be able to point us towards some capable snakehunters, but if not we can look around personally as well.

We should also probably figure out the Test of Faith. We don't seem to be making progress on that one, but it's pretty important.

I still say we feed it Joy: She wants to, would be an even more potent Duchess with it, would grant unprecedented credibility to our bond with Clan Ivy, and the professional opinion of our family is that the worst case is Clan Ivy trying to hold her hostage to negotiate us into a corner, which might work at first but would come back to bite them later. It's a little risky, but not by much, and the payoff if it goes smoothly is absolutely huge.

What's everyone else's opinions on it?
This is my vote. What's everyone else think we should do?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2016, 05:55:55 am »

For the rest of the week, I'd like to get us started on Fortune's pet snake and setting up Syzzik's daughter as a soul cleaner.

The soul cleaner part is easy but a little distasteful. We can check back at the guardhouse; if the same serious prisoners are still awaiting trial, we check each of them out to figure out who will be least missed. Then we murder that one and let Mable eat its delicious soul and begin cleaning it. Mable gets practice, we get in better with Syzzik and family.

The python's a harder project. We've got Wednesday working on it with a really broad net, but we might want to go more directly to look for a druid ourselves. Redding should be able to point us towards some capable snakehunters, but if not we can look around personally as well.

We should also probably figure out the Test of Faith. We don't seem to be making progress on that one, but it's pretty important.

I still say we feed it Joy: She wants to, would be an even more potent Duchess with it, would grant unprecedented credibility to our bond with Clan Ivy, and the professional opinion of our family is that the worst case is Clan Ivy trying to hold her hostage to negotiate us into a corner, which might work at first but would come back to bite them later. It's a little risky, but not by much, and the payoff if it goes smoothly is absolutely huge.

What's everyone else's opinions on it?
This is my vote. What's everyone else think we should do?

I'd say that the old crazy lady is the one who will be missed less. Or at least the execution could be seen as doing something good for the community.

Otherwise, I guess that I will +1. I'm eager to send our great-great-great grandaddy to kick some demon ass if this goes wrong.

My main concern with Glen was that he is going to be a thorn in our political affairs. If we can prevent that from happening, I guess that there is nothing wrong in keeping him around, even if he is useless right now.

So I will reluctantly agree to keep him around, with the condition that we keep him away from our agenda.

EDIT:

Also, I call bullshit on Virgil's story of 12k men from the crown. If that was the case, we would be overrun by now (unless the crown has a motive to not ending this once and for all). That's why I proposed curse-helped interrogation. Otherwise, I agree that we should ultimately ally ourselves with the Strongcurrents and the Gulfs.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2016, 10:31:33 am »

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 2nd Day:

Monday

You tell Syzzik that it would be nice if he were to ask Ms. Lou about the workshops, but imply that you would rather have them in the basement of Groghall. Syzzik agrees to do this, and you promise to get back to him soon on if you would like to set up potion brewing school in his basement or not.

Before you leave, you also mention that you are considering helping Mabel round up some souls, perhaps by abusing the justice system. Syzzik informs you that he would be grateful if you were to do that, but asks that if you are feeding her petty criminals, to have the victims gagged and lie to the girl about the severity of their crimes; Syzzik has no issues killing off vandals or drunks for personal gain, but he would rather his daughter not pick up that worldview.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 3rd Day:

Tuesday

You order Glen's troops to stand down, and lead the former general to your chambers for a private discussion.

"Glen, I know you miss him. Everyone does, and his family more than most. He would have been incredibly relieved to know you escaped and helped his wife and children get to safety. He'd be less relieved to know you're falling apart without him."

Count Horton gives you a pitiful look, and says nothing. You continue. "Sylvester will be vindicated by history, Glen. He made the Duchy a better place to live in before being murdered by a thoroughly despised house guest, at which point his counties capitulated out of fear of the crown. The best Rubicon can hope for is for my daughter to murder him in his sleep at which point this becomes a tragedy. At worst, he's a storybook villain who briefly interrupts Redleaf's ascent and murders a great man before being brought to justice by the man's daughter. There's no way out of this for him, and there's no tarnishing Sylvester's memory."

At this point, Glen cuts in. "A-as much as I'd like to believe that is the case, I don't think it is. The prince has the support of the crown. We might be able to hold the southern counties, but I don't see us having any success on offense - The murderous prince will have too many men by the time we are organized and ready to strike. Even the best military officer is not a miracle worker, barring obscene levels of incompetence among the leadership on the other side, we are not going to take a county from the prince."

"We are all going to become like the fudgeing Kinkaids, Maeris!" He sobs, "futilely lashing out against the Duke and the crown for generations until the next Sylvester rises to strike us down!"

You blink. You were not expecting this sort of pessimism. "All right, Glen. It will be fine. We can figure this out. I'm a Bonedust and Charlie is basiclly and Orcish Chieftess. We don't play by the same rules as you or any officer the prince might employ. You though... you... It galls me to say it, it really does, but you and Sylvester were always the more matching pair: Charismatic, well-loved leaders and gentlemen beyond moral reproach. If anyone is a shining reminder of who Sylvester was and what he represented, it's you... or you at your best, anyway."

Count Horton stares at you in shock. Clearly he wasn't expecting you to say that. You continue before he has the chance to speak. "I can't have you like this, Glen. I need you to get yourself together and be the man Sylvester would have wanted you to be. Until then, I'm making you my personal bodyguard and captain, and sending Redding to assist Miri in military affairs. The eastern front is too important to let you self destruct on, Glen."

Glen's stare briefly becomes a glare, before he lowers his gaze and sighs, admitting defeat. "F-fine. As much as it galls me to admit it, you are right. I'm a complete wreck... but Redding is the wrong man to replace me in the field. I'd have him command a few hundred men for me any day, but he knows little of logistics or maneuvering a large host of men."

He clenches his fists, and grimaces. "If I'm swallowing my pride, I might as well do it right. Put Charlie, or one of her guys, in charge of my men. If we are to have a chance, our troops need to be on the same page. If you are looking to get Redding out of the house, you can send him anyway; Miri is a clever young lady, but we both know she is a bit lacking in the spine department. If we are leaving her in charge, I'd rather somebody be there to stop others from taking advantage of her at the negotiation table."

"Great," you offer Glen a sad smile, "make yourself at home. We have some living space left for nobles here."

You have Virgil unbound and brought in for the next chat once Count Horton departs. The poor man is in hysterics, worried about his wife, who had fallen ill with fever again, and refused to flee with her husband so as not to slow him down.

Eventually, you calm him down to the point where he can tell his story properly. The Prince had put several thousand men on Virgil's land before paying his fateful visit to Sylvester, claiming that they were performing an audit to see if he was in compliance with the limit on men commanded by a Gulf. He suspects the prince used this 'audit' to present a legitimate reason for his surprise visit to your husband, as you both doubt Sylvester would have been dumb enough to let Rubicon in with a bunch of mercenaries just because he was passing through.

After Sylvester was killed, Virgil had little choice but to swear fealty to the man who still had control of more men than he did in Gulf County, but it seemed as if that wasn't enough. He was tipped off by his nephew, who happened to be one of the prince's men, that Clarence Rothwell was coming with even more men to execute him under the false pretense that he commanded too many soldiers, and to take over the County for himself.

Virgil also tells you that his nephew passed along a rumor that the crown was building another large host under the command of Silvera Marlowe, the twin's mother whom Chasity tricked Sylvester into ousting, so it is possible that the prince is planning to similarly dispose of at least one of the Marlowes. If this is the case, it would suggest that your daughter has little control over the present situation.

You invite Virgil to stay with you, and Count Gulf agrees - for the time being anyway. He would like to rest a bit and get his bearings, but your old friend is eager to do his part, and would like to hit the road with full authority (and perhaps some men and funding) to make improvement to defenses and infrastructure on the lands you control.

---

Redding is clearly worried sick about his brother, and refuses to leave Lindwurm's side, so you have little choice but to speak to the two Strongcurrents as a group.

Lindwurm thanks you profusely, but notes you aid as put him in an awkward situation. "Father didn't actually send me here to negotiate so much as he did to present terms. He told me you are either to take his offer, or leave it. He feels your cause a losing one, but is willing to risk it all for his own flesh and blood, so long as a few key conditions can be agreed to. You could try to negotiate anyway I suppose, saving my life may grant you some leverage, but if I were you, I'd want his commitment as soon as you could get it."

Mayor Strongcurrent takes a deep breath, and begins listing his father's terms. "First and foremost, father would like you to end the exile of Archibald Horton. He is willing to admit the punishment was not unjustified, but thinks whatever point Sylvester had to prove has been proven. He is willing to let Archie live with him if his son Glen wont have him."

You sigh, allowing Archibald to return would likely be a massive insult to the Kinkaids and their supporters, but it would also send a message to Clarence Rothwell, the Prince's new lord of Gulf County who famously demanded the elder Horton's death. Last you heard, Archibald was no longer able to walk on his own, and had lost control of some embarrassing bodily functions, but he was still a keen military mind who might be of some use. He also keeps a bunch of bastard children, who may be of use should you ever decide to get rid of Glen for good.

Lindwurm continues. "The second demand stems from the fact my father respects tradition and protocol. Although there is no written law against it, it is considered unkosher for one family to control two adjacent counties. If one or more of the Western Counties finds themselves without a ruler come the end of this dispute, Ernie would like that county to become the new seat of power in the Duchy. If the capital is moved, he would like Cleanriver County to remain in control of the Riverlands, through Dean, Farquad, or one of Sylvester's male relitives from Tradewind Duchy."

As you cannot see any senerio in which you win back the Duchy but the Kinkaids lose Roe River County, that leaves Silver and King's Road counties as possible locations to set up Redding and Joy per these terms. Silver County would be the more attractive location, as it is more prosperous, populous, and home to a better castle than King's Road County.

The last condition Lindwurm imposes is something you had already sort of agreed to in principle with Redding. "Lastly, my father fears your presence might weaken my brother's influence over both his wife and the duchy. He would like you to agree to marry out of the household once the Duchy has been reclaimed, and if no other arrangements for your hand have been made by that time, he would like your word that you will become his wife. Should that occur, you will wield the full power of the office of Countess for as long as he lives, and will be welcome to hold to office of Court Mage to Vanity Beach for as long as you like in the likely circumstance you outlive him."

You could think of worse possible husbands then Ernie Strongcurrent; Aside from the Kinkaids and arguably whoever rules Silver County, the Lord of Port County is the most wealthy and powerful count in the duchy. Personally you know him to be an honorable, honest, and respectable man. That said, the prospect of being forced to marry him otherwise might push you to at least more aggressively pursue other options; Ernie is much older than you, and according to Redding makes for a disinterested and distant family member.

Redding is the first to speak. "He had to drag Archie into this... didn't he? Other than that, pretty much the offer I expected to get from the old man. What do you think, my Duchess?"

Lindwurm notes that if you agree, he would like you to put Glen Horton's riders in town under his command, so they may escort him, and your message, home and hopefully get Port County under your control as quickly as possible.

---

Eventually Lindwurm has to relieve himself, which gives you a moment alone with Redding. First you call him out for stupidly attacking Glen, and your son-in-law admits it wasn't the most clever thing he has ever done. "He had my brother bound on the floor, and was threatening my family... I was seeing red big time. I think that is what he wanted me to do though... There is nobody better than Glen Horton at goading you into doing something stupid, and then exploiting the mistake for everything he can. Joke was almost on him though, I was shooting to kill but I was shaking so hard in anger that I missed."

A bit shocked by Redding's frank confession, you drop the subject for the time being. You then explain your plan to allow Fortune to share the sight of a pet, and that your daughter is adamant about getting an Orc-Eater Python. You inform him that you would need some mercenaries to catch the beast, and a druid to help you work your magic on it. Your son-in-law smiles, and informs you he knows just the person you need to speak to, and will set up a meeting ASAP.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 4th Day:

Wednesday

Redding bursts into Groghall at breakfast with a youngish female of mixed Elf and Orc blood. They are followed by four orcs pulling a large covered trailer. The woman stands awkwardly for a second, before Redding whispers something in her ear and she offers a curtsy in your direction.

"This is Scales," Redding begins, "a druid who specializes in breeding and training giant reptiles for mercenary bands and orcish clans. I believe she has a proposal for you."

Scales pulls the cover off her cart and reveals a large Orc-Eater, easily around forty feet long. It is clearly captive bred, as its pitch black body with electric blue markings is far from the brown and green you have seen on wild snakes. She tells you the creature was ordered and paid for two months ago by Prince Rubicon, and trained as both a clever house-pet and a means of execution. After your husband's death, she decided not to deliver on the order, but since she was paid in advance, she can part with it for non-cash considerations.

You call Fortune over, and the strange half-breed shows your youngest how to command the snake to stay, follow, hug, release, rear up, and 'speak' with a sound somewhere between a soft roar and a loud hiss. The Druid notes that most snakes have poor hearing, if any at all, but hers are specifically bred and modified to react properly to verbal commands. The animal has been trained to answer to 'Chasity' per the Prince's request, although Scales notes it is actually male and could be easily trained to pick up another name.

Satisfied with the product offered, you pull Scales aside to discuss a transaction to obtain both the snake and her help in altering it. It turns out Scales is willing to give you the animal as a sign of goodwill. As for her help in modifying the animal, she offers you a service for service trade; She has several reasons to expect a plot against her life and would like some insurance. If you agree to see her brought back in a youthful female body with her soul mostly untouched should she die in the next ten years, she will help you put together the seeing-eye snake.

As most animal souls are not strong enough to take hexes, you will have to weave directly onto the python's body, and just as some necromancy skill is required to weave directly onto a dead body, some druidism is needed to weave onto a complex living thing. A small plant you could hex on your own, but there is no getting around the need for a druid if you are working with a snake. You and Scales come up with a plan on how to best accomplish what you want; Three blessings of Yaas will be used, requiring you to first spread nine more curses from Pogpugrooog and company before you meet to perform the operation. The procedure itself shouldn't be complicated, although success isn't guaranteed; Even after years of casual research on the matter, you still do not fully understand the means or meaning behind the blindness Tetha has inflicted upon your daughter, but even if the Goddess does somehow thwart your efforts, her doing so might reveal something to you.

---

After negotiating with Scales, you send word for Syzzik and Mable to meet you at Guard Headquarters. You beat them there, and instruct Topman to have the crazy old lady bound, gagged, and readied for execution. You also instruct all the guards present not refute the story you will tell.

As you wait, you notice two new prisoners in the main lockup. The first is a lowborn fire elementalist around Dean's age who is in for burning a shrine to orcish deity Trance. He dosn't understand why he was only brought in the other night, even though he committed the arson a few months back, and complains that Trance worship is illegal anyway, so he should be celebrated for defending the law rather than punished for breaking it. You suspect the timing of his incarceration has something to do with Clan Ivy's arrival tomorrow; You wonder if the mayor is protecting him, or means to hand him over to score points with the orcs in question.

The second new prisoner is a common prostitute who last night made the grave mistake of soliciting Glen Horton, who had apparently slipped out for a walk to explore the town and get some fresh air after you went to bed. The whore explains that Glen flipped out at her, dragged her to the guard house, and demanded she be subjected to fifty lashes. She expects charges to be dropped once the mayor reviews her case, as Gregory is a semi-regular client of hers.

Eventually Syzzik and his daughter arrive, and you calmly explain that the bound and gagged woman before them is guilty of murdering a traveling merchant who was passing through town. "She is to be executed for her crimes, and you may take her soul to experiment upon as you please."

Topman strangles the 'guilty party' with his whip right in her cell, and your trained senses feel a rush of energy pass from the dying woman into the young half-drow. It took your father several years of regular practice before he was able to decipher memories of the souls he was working, so you figure this is a pretty safe method of feeding Mable for the time being. You will likely have to change things up later, once she gains enough skill to discern the obvious evidence of your deception.

---

When you arrive back home, Glen Horton flags you down. He informs you that he intends to start leading the Groghall Warriors in some intense live combat drills, and will require several gallons of healing potion, or Joy's healing magic placed at his disposal. He also notes that the town guard is doing a very poor job keeping the streets clean, and recommends you appoint a Sheirff who is independent from the mayor's office to take over their day-to-day operation.

---

In the evening, a messenger rides into town with a handwritten note from Count Phineas Kinkaid. The message informs you that he has met with the troops sent by your mother. Fearing that the young leadership your mother chose wouldn't be able to stop soldiers from lands loyal to the prince from revolting or deserting, he is presently in the process of absorbing the bulk of the troops into his own raiding force to relieve his own injured and exhausted men.

Phineas then notes that the twenty five wights your mother sent are heading straight toward you, and should arrive at around the same time as his message. He advised them to wait at a cave just outside town, as he wasn't sure if you wanted twenty five undead riding through North Bank City or not.

Count Kinkaid notes that Horace Marlowe is proving to be a competent enemy, and is using casters from the nature mages guild in place of more traditional commanders to keep his soldiers off balance and guessing. This is a double-edged sword, however, as the mages are inexperienced at military leadership, and make mistakes that can be exploited.

You ally concludes by thanking and congratulating you for your selection of Charlie as general, and renewing his vow in fealty in writing as he suspects he will be too busy to present you his sword in person anytime soon.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 5th Day:

Thursday

Fugitap calls on you at breakfast, informing you that Clan Ivy soldiers have been exiting the Knifehouse since midnight sharp. The city guard has already begun leading the soldiers to their housing. Fugitap then informs you that he has been selected to introduce you to the emissaries sent by Chieftess Ivy.

The goblin first leads in High Shaman Crank, a tall and lanky orc whose face seems to be constantly twitching. You know a bit about Crank; He is functionally the leader of Clan Ivy, as the Chieftess rarely leaves her chambers to rule. He is also an incredibly powerful divine caster, aligned with Trance, and several other deities.

Crank was the last major military leader to fall in your husband's war against the Kinkaids, captured by the combined forces of Clan Gruel and Redleaf Duchy. You have heard the occasional whisper since that to redeem his failure, Crank has taken to exposing his soul to many demons in search of self improvement, and that these experiments have made him vastly more powerful, but borderline insane.

The high shaman abruptly pulls you into an embrace, and swears to support your cause in good faith and brotherhood. You flinch and shudder at his touch; Your finely tuned hex weaver's ability to feel a soul picks up that Crank's is screaming and boiling with excess divine might just beneath his skin. By the time he lets go, the sensation has made you dizzy, so you have to sit down.

Fugitap next brings in an orc smaller than yourself, likely a member of Clan Ivy's feared agent bloodline. The tiny orc introduces herself as Confessor Rash, and explains that it is her job to speak for the high shaman should he become incoherent, and to overrule him should he order his troops to partake in a massacre of the innocent, orgy, or mass suicide at an inopportune time.

As the troops will be filing out of the summoning circle until well after midday, and they are sure you have better things to do than watch, the two orcs give you a breakdown of the troops they have brought. Two thousand five hundred members of the Clan Ivy Army are standard jungle rangers, well trained and equipped with obsidian tipped swords, arrows, spears, and javelins. In addition, two hundred and fifty elite rangers have been brought, equipped with weapons made from steel or better, most of these superior jungle warriors have demonic heritage to enhance their physical and mental attributes, and know nature magic to compliment their weapons.

"Standard or elite," Glen comments glumly, "rangers are best for defending the jungles, not pushing north into the plains where our enemy is held up."

Clan Ivy has also brought casters in spades. One hundred and fifty Blood Shaman and one hundred and fifty Pale Shaman. The Shaman wear hooded cloaks, red for blood and white for pale, but beyond that their gear varies at the whim of the individual or her gods. Blood Shaman focus on the magic of the 18 Orcish Gods, which is largely related to boosting one's effectiveness in combat and spreading destruction. The Pale Shaman worship various dieties of the deep pantheon, and their powers are far less predictable and uniform.

Also present are four hundred of Clan Ivy's dreaded agents; Small orcs with large amounts of goblin and demon blood running through their veins. Agents wear black hoods, and carry short blades. Some carry a long knife for parrying and extra stabbing in their off hand, and others a buckler for defense. Agents are fanatic devotees of Trance and practice her divine magic to great effect; They can ruin any mundane device or mechanism, have a huge bag of tricks for snooping around unnoticed, and can channel demonic aspects like a manifestation to gain whatever abilities they might require to complete a job. The most advanced agents are known as confessors, and in addition to Rash, the leader of their order, twenty five have come along. Not even you know the exact battle capabilities of Clan Ivy's confessors; Anybody who investigates them too closely ends up dead.

To compliment all the rangers and casters, some heavy soldiers have been brought along as well. Six hundred of the orcs are clad in imported steel armor. Five hundred are maul or great axe wielding infantry units known as enforcers, and one hundred are charger knights mounted on pygmy rhinoceroses. Most terrifying however are the fifty scourges, flail wielding elite enforcers equiped with demonic gear and an un-negoiatable loyalty to the goals of Trance and Clan Ivy, and the one hundred and twenty five war ogres, which basically amount to nine foot tall lesser demons with some orcish blood.

"Your mayor tells us Groghall is responsible for holding one hundred and forty of our soldiers." Crank explains with a twisted smile, "as it is your enemies whose souls we shall feast upon, you may pick which of our troops you wish to stay with you."

You doubt the barracks have room for the war ogres, and Groghall isn't equipped to handle the beasts of the charger knights, but any of the other soldiers would go a long way towards shoring up your defenses.

Next turn will at least finish Thursday. It might go a few days beyond that, depending on how many of the interactions from this turn you guys think need extensive wrapping up.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2016, 10:43:52 am »

Duchess Maeris Bonedust Riverland:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Geopolitical Situation:

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2016, 01:03:14 pm »

I have something to correct:

We have +6 curses with Pog, not souls. We don't even have a means to get souls to Pog. We got some curses from that round around the prison throwing random hexes for the same situation we are needing them now.

Otherwise, I think that we should pay the petty criminals another cursing visit to get at least three more.

About Scales:

If she wants insurance, we can just invite her to our household. We are lacking in the druid department, and she won't be safer than with us here. Because if we die, then the whole service exchange will fail anyway.
Curse her with Tiv's soul-stealing curse and send word to Tiv that that particular soul is to be left mostly untouched for undeath, and that we will buy it back.
Funny thing is, we can just not fulfill the agreement if we don't want to, and the druid won't know anything about it. Principal-Agent problem, how I love economy.
We should let Fortune choose the name of the snake. She will love to do that.

I agree with most of the Strongcurrent's terms.
Archie can come back, but he won't command troops unless there is an agreement between all the counts and generals on our side, including us. We can't just have yet another genocide with the Kinkaids helping us.
We can call Farquad to man a county if we want. I was already considering that.
I agree with sending the Horton's riders to protect the guy.
I do not oppose a marriage we can avoid if we want.

Before sending him away, discuss with Redding the implications of allowing the firearm smuggling. Tell him what we know about how it is done (what Syzzik told us), and ask him how much support could we get from his father in this regard. Explain that if we go to war with the Crown, we may as well break its rules.

We could send Virgil with Tempest and some of her orcs to help him do whatever he wants to do. He should ask for funds once he has any plans about what to do, not before.

Go meet with the Wight riders. As I don't know what to tell them, we should look forward to making that cave a base of some sort. Maybe we can have our dark mage stuff in there. Also it is a nice place for privacy.

Order lots of healing potions from the Cartel. Allow Glen to drill the troops, although not as strongly as he implies first. Some may be quite green.

Have a chat with Glen. Explain ot him that things aren't going to get less dirty around here until the war is won and we can dedicate the resources and can face the political tension coming from it. He should get away from that world, as his fame would suffer from it, and ignore it for now.

Have 140 of the elite rangers with us in the Groghall Because I don't like any kind of religious fanatism to be in there, particularly with Joy around.

Check the Pale Shamans for any Tetha caster or somebody who knows something about that deity.

And I don't know what else to do. We seriously could use the opportunity to wreak havoc on Silver county. I'm sure that they are not expecting 4k orcs to show on their door.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2016, 02:40:43 pm »

We need to secure the boarders of our own county first.  Who knows if a large army is headed this way.  This county is mostly jungle so we should have our scouts begin looking and regular patrols outside the city.

We might be able to catch an army by surprise in this terrain and rain death and demons on them if they did show up.

We have enough of a handle on the situation, we should set our counsel up.

I want the blacksmith dwarf and the enchanter/priestess.
  If we can provide enchanted bronze weapons for our orc forces we might be able to remove a serious weakness that they have.

Invite 20 blood shaman, one from each Orcish god and 3 from Trance, if there is competition for who wants the bunks they can have a drinking contest or whatever.  Invite an equal number of Pale Shaman.  The rest Elite Rangers, I want them talking to Glen about the best way to defend this land.

About Scales:

If she wants insurance, we can just invite her to our household. We are lacking in the druid department, and she won't be safer than with us here. Because if we die, then the whole service exchange will fail anyway.
Curse her with Tiv's soul-stealing curse and send word to Tiv that that particular soul is to be left mostly untouched for undeath, and that we will buy it back.
Funny thing is, we can just not fulfill the agreement if we don't want to, and the druid won't know anything about it. Principal-Agent problem, how I love economy.

+1

Archie can come back, but he won't command troops unless there is an agreement between all the counts and generals on our side, including us. We can't just have yet another genocide with the Kinkaids helping us.

+1 but the Archie thing needs to be clear that he is not being exonerated.  This is a pass on the grounds he should pass his twilight years among friends.  He is still considered a criminal and can not lead troops or hold land in the Dutchy.

-1 NO do not send Glen's loyal men to escort the guy Glen wanted executed.  Maybe send some orcs? Or would that be too provocative?

+1 we should totally tell him about the soul curse thing before hand, just not right now.

We should appoint our suitor the inquisitor as Sheriff.  Gives him an excuse to stick around.  Wait can priests be sheriffs?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2016, 03:24:34 pm »

The whole Rothwell problem got me thinking. With Clarence's important position as leader of Gulf County, we may be able to convince Charlie to get rid of Gregory and give the city to somebody else, maybe even Redding.

How about this:

We have a meeting with Charlie, and explain the situation in Gulf County. We try to convince her that she just can't keep Gregory uninformed indefinitely, and so we suggest a change in authorities before Gregory's loyalty falters. We may even go as far as suggesting Redding as a replacement. If we convince her of that, we can just depose Gregory and imprison him, and we may even get to use him as an interchange with his brother: we give him Gregory and his family, and gives us back Virgil's wife.

Obviously, we can do all this with the appropiate amounts of hexes for fun's sake.

The other alternative is to do all this on our own. We are Duchess, we can do as we please.

About the crazy inquisitor, I'm feeling like matchmaking him and the inquisitor in the city guard who wanted to learn the dark arts. They would have something in common there.

Angie Pence and Dublin Kinkaid. Hmm. At least we could take the girl as an apprentice at some point. Inquisitorial talents are good, but i definitely don't want to have anything with Dublin

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2016, 05:10:52 pm »

Also, I call bullshit on Virgil's story of 12k men from the crown. If that was the case, we would be overrun by now (unless the crown has a motive to not ending this once and for all). That's why I proposed curse-helped interrogation. Otherwise, I agree that we should ultimately ally ourselves with the Strongcurrents and the Gulfs.
Well, we don't know how many troops the Kinkaids or Hortons command. Other than that, it's looking like armies tend to have a big home field advantage.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's any way to lure enemy forces into the jungle? Chasity and probably the Marlowes are too smart for that, but Rubicon might not be.

I have something to correct:

We have +6 curses with Pog, not souls. We don't even have a means to get souls to Pog. We got some curses from that round around the prison throwing random hexes for the same situation we are needing them now.

Otherwise, I think that we should pay the petty criminals another cursing visit to get at least three more.

About Scales:

Before sending him away, discuss with Redding the implications of allowing the firearm smuggling. Tell him what we know about how it is done (what Syzzik told us), and ask him how much support could we get from his father in this regard. Explain that if we go to war with the Crown, we may as well break its rules.

We could send Virgil with Tempest and some of her orcs to help him do whatever he wants to do. He should ask for funds once he has any plans about what to do, not before.

Go meet with the Wight riders. As I don't know what to tell them, we should look forward to making that cave a base of some sort. Maybe we can have our dark mage stuff in there. Also it is a nice place for privacy.

Order lots of healing potions from the Cartel. Allow Glen to drill the troops, although not as strongly as he implies first. Some may be quite green.

Have a chat with Glen. Explain ot him that things aren't going to get less dirty around here until the war is won and we can dedicate the resources and can face the political tension coming from it. He should get away from that world, as his fame would suffer from it, and ignore it for now.

Have 140 of the elite rangers with us in the Groghall Because I don't like any kind of religious fanatism to be in there, particularly with Joy around.

Check the Pale Shamans for any Tetha caster or somebody who knows something about that deity.

And I don't know what else to do. We seriously could use the opportunity to wreak havoc on Silver county. I'm sure that they are not expecting 4k orcs to show on their door.
This looks good other than troops selection and Glentalk. I'm not sure I'm fond of Strongcurrent's offer but I doubt we have much choice in the matter, and I'd like to figure out a better way to get curses than just visiting the guardhouse every now and then for a blanket hexing but I don't know what that would be.

For troop selection, I'd actually prefer a more varied (and fanatical) cast to help us get a better read on them, and because Joy would like some religious fanatacism around, especially if she's going to be our Trance caster.

For Glen, I don't think it'd be hard to get a sheriff's office going, and unless Gregory's intentionally keeping things dirty it could easily be worth the cost. Other than disputes over Gregory wanting his power abused one way or the other, having Glen run such an affair part-time could be good for him too.

Finally, remember that we're a potioncrafter also. We can get our hands dirty (meaning ground root dust, not blood, for once) and brew some of the healing potion ourselves if we'd like.

We need to secure the boarders of our own county first.  Who knows if a large army is headed this way.  This county is mostly jungle so we should have our scouts begin looking and regular patrols outside the city.

We might be able to catch an army by surprise in this terrain and rain death and demons on them if they did show up.
Pretty sure the Kinkaids are still defending their own land. I guess we could check on that, though, especially because deep down we kind of want them to try pushing into the jungle.

If we can provide enchanted bronze weapons for our orc forces we might be able to remove a serious weakness that they have.
This would be nice. We were pretty lukewarm about our appointments last time, so I've got no objections to the Steel Sisterhood or the dwarven enchanter. I'd personally like to just grab the Dread Knight and a half-demon apprentice while we're at it and get a trio of apprentices, though.

Invite 20 blood shaman, one from each Orcish god and 3 from Trance, if there is competition for who wants the bunks they can have a drinking contest or whatever.  Invite an equal number of Pale Shaman.  The rest Elite Rangers, I want them talking to Glen about the best way to defend this land.[/b]
How about 30 elite rangers, 30 Blood Shamans, 30 Pale Shamans, 20 agents, 20 enforcers, and 10 scourges? That'd give us a nice spread of talent and insight, for Glen or otherwise.

-1 NO do not send Glen's loyal men to escort the guy Glen wanted executed.  Maybe send some orcs? Or would that be too provocative?
I think it'll be fine. Glen doesn't want him executed now that he's calmed down, and it'd be better if he had riders. I mean... technically pygmy rhino riders are riders, but we're not sure when we'd get them back.

We should appoint our suitor the inquisitor as Sheriff.  Gives him an excuse to stick around.  Wait can priests be sheriffs?
Don't see why not, though I'd rather get somebody else. Dublin might not want to or be very good at cleaning up the streets.

Glen's the really obvious choice, unless he's too busy training our bodyguards or would get frustrated by some of Gregory's... exceptions to the law.

The whole Rothwell problem got me thinking. With Clarence's important position as leader of Gulf County, we may be able to convince Charlie to get rid of Gregory and give the city to somebody else, maybe even Redding.

How about this:

We have a meeting with Charlie, and explain the situation in Gulf County. We try to convince her that she just can't keep Gregory uninformed indefinitely, and so we suggest a change in authorities before Gregory's loyalty falters. We may even go as far as suggesting Redding. If we convince her of that, we can just depose Gregory and imprison him, and we may even get to use him as an interchange with his brother: we give him Gregory and his family, and gives us back Virgil's wife.

Obviously, we can do all this with the appropiate amounts of hexes for fun's sake.

The other alternative is to do all this on our own. We are Duchess, we can do as we please.
Well, how worried are we about Gregory switching sides or something? He's cowardly and we still have his children, plus he's just a mayor. We might want to just inform him of these developments, then have Wednesday tail him to see how he takes it.

Speaking of which, did we ever figure out where those three kobold tails he had came from? Were they knifehouse agents or something?

About the crazy inquisitor, I'm feeling like matchmaking him and the inquisitor in the city guard who wanted to learn the dark arts. They would have something in common there.

Angie Pence and Dublin Kinkaid. Hmm. At least we could take the girl as an apprentice at some point. Inquisitorial talents are good, but i definitely don't want to have anything with Dublin
Aw, but he's so fun! Plus we might want to start building up more demonic servants, so fishing trips with the psychopath could be pretty productive.

Anyway, let's take Glen's advice on putting his forces under Charlie or her goons, and sending Redding or someone else to make sure Miri has a spine. I'm not in a hurry to get Redding out of the house or anything, but nobody else comes to mind.

I still want to let Joy undertake the Test of Faith. Clan Ivy seems pretty friendly and useful, and we're outmatched elsewhere.

Speaking of which, I made us a crude map:
Not shown: Everything.

Anyway, we should probably figure out- or ask Glen, the Kinkaids, and maybe Archibald- what our overall strategy should be. In fact, let's arrange a strategy meeting, though since Glen and maybe Redding's brother are the only ones here that'll basically just consist of getting Glen's depressing opinion on how we have no hope of anything, plus some insight from Clan Ivy on their goals and capabilities.

Of course, gentle Glen isn't considering the use of demonic assassins and enough divine power to plunge the entire Duchy into the sea, so I'm sure we'll have a more cheerful outlook on his analysis.

Plus, if the Marlowe infighting is the case, we might be a lot better connected than we think. We should find a way to get into contact with one of the Marlowes, see if they're really happy with the current arrangement.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2016, 08:29:18 pm »

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's any way to lure enemy forces into the jungle? Chasity and probably the Marlowes are too smart for that, but Rubicon might not be.

The idea is good, but I doubt that there would be anything of value in the Jungle for them to pursuit...

Unless we send Fortune there.

For Glen, I don't think it'd be hard to get a sheriff's office going, and unless Gregory's intentionally keeping things dirty it could easily be worth the cost. Other than disputes over Gregory wanting his power abused one way or the other, having Glen run such an affair part-time could be good for him too.

I highly doubt that it is going to be good for Glen. The amount of corruption in the city is only going to discourage him more. And get him into problems. He is likely going to become the target of who knows which mafia.

Finally, remember that we're a potioncrafter also. We can get our hands dirty (meaning ground root dust, not blood, for once) and brew some of the healing potion ourselves if we'd like.

Yeah, we can. But it will likely take time. I'd rather use that time teaching the Mogpan orcs how to brew properly. Or learning how to shoot. Or teaching our apprentices in dark magic.

This would be nice. We were pretty lukewarm about our appointments last time, so I've got no objections to the Steel Sisterhood or the dwarven enchanter. I'd personally like to just grab the Dread Knight and a half-demon apprentice while we're at it and get a trio of apprentices, though.

I support this, but also getting the inquisitor apprentice. We need a full roster of weirdos, otherwise, it is not bizarre enough. Also, I would love to have her around, just to see her excited by every demon she sees.

Don't see why not, though I'd rather get somebody else. Dublin might not want to or be very good at cleaning up the streets.

Glen's the really obvious choice, unless he's too busy training our bodyguards or would get frustrated by some of Gregory's... exceptions to the law.

Dublin is said to be lacking in the initiative department. Glen, on the other hand, would have too much initiative. But everything is going to be futile if Gregory keeps being as corrupt as he is, that's why I say we get someone in charge that doesn't live frequenting whores.

Well, how worried are we about Gregory switching sides or something? He's cowardly and we still have his children, plus he's just a mayor. We might want to just inform him of these developments, then have Wednesday tail him to see how he takes it.

Speaking of which, did we ever figure out where those three kobold tails he had came from? Were they knifehouse agents or something?

We could ask in the Knifehouse about those kobolds.

And I don't think that Gregory will openly betray us. He is more likely to redirect resources to his brother, or maybe information. And the problem with this is that it is difficult to find out. That's why I want him out too. I don't want to take the risk.

Aw, but he's so fun! Plus we might want to start building up more demonic servants, so fishing trips with the psychopath could be pretty productive.

Who says that we can't still fish around with him, even if he gets a girlfriend? Dude finds these things exciting, he would still agree even if he is not courting us. Bonus if his girlfriend is also our apprentice. Double inquisitorial fun!

Anyway, let's take Glen's advice on putting his forces under Charlie or her goons, and sending Redding or someone else to make sure Miri has a spine. I'm not in a hurry to get Redding out of the house or anything, but nobody else comes to mind.

Hmm, I don't know who to send, but Redding is valuable here. We need more generals.

I still want to let Joy undertake the Test of Faith. Clan Ivy seems pretty friendly and useful, and we're outmatched elsewhere.

While I'd hate having our heir brainwashed by demons, I'd hate even more having to cope with the tantrum of us not letting her try. So I will +1 this.

Speaking of which, I made us a crude map:
Not shown: Everything.

I don't have words to express how much you have helped my spatial sense.

Anyway, we should probably figure out- or ask Glen, the Kinkaids, and maybe Archibald- what our overall strategy should be. In fact, let's arrange a strategy meeting, though since Glen and maybe Redding's brother are the only ones here that'll basically just consist of getting Glen's depressing opinion on how we have no hope of anything, plus some insight from Clan Ivy on their goals and capabilities.

I'd like to discuss things with Charlie too, if we can pull her form the front lines.

Plus, if the Marlowe infighting is the case, we might be a lot better connected than we think. We should find a way to get into contact with one of the Marlowes, see if they're really happy with the current arrangement.

Idea for long-range contacts: birds. We are going to have a druid, she can just train birds to deliver letters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:56 pm »

You don't even really need druid birds.

Carrier/homing pigeons.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2016, 08:58:43 pm »

You don't even really need druid birds.

Carrier/homing pigeons.

That need to be trained beforehand, and probably can't recognize a specific human to deliver the message only to said individual.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2016, 12:36:02 am »

The idea is good, but I doubt that there would be anything of value in the Jungle for them to pursuit...

Unless we send Fortune there.
Hmmmmmm. You jest, but Rubicon needs Denzel who needs Fortune. Convincing him we were going to sacrifice her out in some demonic temple could get Denzel to panic and goad Rubicon into making a really poor decision.

Only trouble is that'd be really hard to set up right. We'd need all kinds of intel advantages.

I highly doubt that it is going to be good for Glen. The amount of corruption in the city is only going to discourage him more. And get him into problems. He is likely going to become the target of who knows which mafia.
I was thinking he'd enjoy cleaning up the poorly managed rather than openly corrupt parts, but that's definitely possible. I mean, we know of two cartels already, one of which was in good enough with Gregory to try to have competition bumped off through the city guard.

Yeah, we can. But it will likely take time. I'd rather use that time teaching the Mogpan orcs how to brew properly. Or learning how to shoot. Or teaching our apprentices in dark magic.
Fair point.

I support this, but also getting the inquisitor apprentice. We need a full roster of weirdos, otherwise, it is not bizarre enough. Also, I would love to have her around, just to see her excited by every demon she sees.
I like both of the latter sentences so I'm going to endorse the first.

Dublin is said to be lacking in the initiative department. Glen, on the other hand, would have too much initiative. But everything is going to be futile if Gregory keeps being as corrupt as he is, that's why I say we get someone in charge that doesn't live frequenting whores.

We could ask in the Knifehouse about those kobolds.

And I don't think that Gregory will openly betray us. He is more likely to redirect resources to his brother, or maybe information. And the problem with this is that it is difficult to find out. That's why I want him out too. I don't want to take the risk.
Hm. You're correct about Gregory being hopelessly corrupt, but he also seems fairly useful (and I feel bad about Archibald murdering his entire family). He's also deathly afraid of us eating his children's souls.

I think we should just sit down and scare the shit out of be frank with him. Explain the situation in Gulf County, and that his potential conflict of interest concerns us. If we want to be blunt, we can ask him which side of the family he'd like to wager on, and even seal the deal by offering to let his entire family flee unharmed to Gulf County if he'd rather jump ship and side with the crown.

Otherwise, he should make it clear that he's cleanly on our side, and that any compulsions to aid his family had best come in the form of politely asking us to take them alive if possible. On that note, we'd like him to clean up his act and get North Bank running smoothly; even with a mostly respectable operation he can still easily be one of the wealthiest and most decadent men in the Duchy, he doesn't need to let things rot like this.

Hmm, I don't know who to send, but Redding is valuable here. We need more generals.
Agreed.

Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder if Redding possibly knows any trustworthy, attractive male mercenaries who could help Miri stand up for herself, and possibly attend to any other services she might require?

I'd like to discuss things with Charlie too, if we can pull her form the front lines.
That might take a while, which could be worth it or could be inefficient. We could consider going to her, especially if we were bringing along our new friends to help out. We could also get her and Phineas to write us the short version or vice versa, if we weren't concerned about the messages getting intercepted.

So... especially with us ending Archibald's exile, we should really send a message to Clarence Rothwell to make sure he doesn't do anything symbolic and unpleasant to Virgil Gulf's wife. Getting lines of communication to enemy rulers in general might be useful as well.

I'm not sure what we'd say, though, especially in the context of Archibald coming back. Perhaps a polite, formal letter congratulating him on his promotion but noting that it might be a temporary position, followed by inquiring as to the health of Lanette Gulf? Or should we go straight for "Hello, I know you hate me, sorry about your family but you should avoid making this war unpleasant just because the last one was?"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2016, 10:09:07 am »

(@Owl: Good map. Better than I expected considering the amount of information given)

---

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 3rd Day:

Tuesday

You inform Lindwurm that his father's terms are acceptable, but that Archibald isn't to command troops or hold land for the time being. You still haven't made up your mind on if you are exonerating your husband's old general, or merely commuting his sentence to let him live out his twilight years among friends.

After making Glen instruct his riders not to harm Lindwurm, you send your brother-in-law back home under their protection.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 4th Day:

Wednesday

You inform Scales that you find her offer acceptable, and weave the appropriate soul-nabbing curse onto her as you shake hands. The woman has seemingly little knowledge of necromancy, so you could easily screw her over by not purchasing her soul, or by making her a slave. Doing so is tempting; Caster souls are typically more expensive than other undead.

After hearing Glen's request for healing potions, you put an order into the cartel to get him what he needs.

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 5th Day:

Thursday

You ask Crank and Rash for a nice mix of troops to set up at Groghall: thirty each of elite rangers, blood shamans, and pale shamans, twenty each of agents and enforcers, and ten scourges. On the topic of the pale shamans, you add that if possible you would like one who works in the service of the goddess Tetha.

Neither Crank nor Rash is positive they have a Tetha caster handy, but other than that, they promise to have the requested troops set up in the barracks by dinner time. Before they leave, Rash informs you that her agents will sweep the city this weekend for those loyal to the prince, known enemies of Clan Ivy, and other threats to both your cause and theirs. You will be briefed on the prisoners Sunday night, and will be given an opportunity to perform your own interrogation, as well claim your share of their souls, Monday morning before the executions start at noon. She states this matter-o-factly, and dosn't afford you any comment on the sweep nor the fate of those caught up in it: a stark reminder of the fact that although these Orcs are pledged to your cause, they do not necessarily answer to you.

With that business out of the way, you head out of town to check out the cave where the wights are waiting. Sir Evander Skorn bows low in greeting, before instructing his riders to expose to you the vulnerabilities in the Necromancy holding them together, allowing you to seize their reins. This is merely a formality, these Undead have been drawn from the ancestral vault; Most are Litches, undead talented enough in the art of necromancy to seize their own freedom back should they desire it.

To the best of your knowledge, this is the first time the ancestral vault has been tapped for this many soldiers during your lifetime; They are typically saved for the most dire of emergencies, and you strongly doubt twenty five of them would have been sent to investigate the death of your husband had you not been the daughter of the woman in charge of managing the main vault. To use these troops openly against the crown would be to make a strong statement of House Bonedust's support for your cause, and you are not sure your uncle would appreciate that. Still, he did not tell you otherwise, and these soldiers could be quite the asset; Several of them are easily more talented dark mages than yourself, and even the youngest among them has spent at least seventy five years drilling and sparring their combat skills in the catacombs of Bonedust properties.

Sir Skorn shows you the cave, informing you that it was once the lair of Phineas' Kinkaid's great-great grandfather's second wife, a Bonedust by birth and the last member of the Kinkaid clan to practice Dark Magic. He notes that her summoning circle is still workable, but the animation table and projection stage will need some repairs. One of the other Wights chimes in that she knows how to make the repairs, and should be able to turn the cave into a proper dark workshop if given two pounds of silver, a quarter pound of gold, a living intelligent humanoid to sacrifice, and a good sized log's worth of lumber.

The cave is significantly farther from home than the Knifehouse, but roomier than Groghall's basement. It would be a good place to set up an apprentice (the Wights could even help with the training), or to store any demons or undead you would rather not keep around town. Unsure of what to do with the twenty five riders for now, you instruct them to remain at the cave for the time being.

Waiting for you back home is a thoroughly impressed Charlie Kinkaid, who had received your letter and come into town to see the sudden appearance of Clan Ivy for herself. She has already been made aware that she is now to command Glen's men directly, and is quite pleased with you for arranging that.

You invite your general to host a proper strategy meeting, but Charlie declines for the time being, saying it would be polite to wait for the three other mighty clans to send representatives. She does give you her informal assessment of the situation.

The combined forces of Roe River and Southjungle counties presently amounts to around nine thousand and five hundred men, the vast majority of which are garrisoning various fortified installations or tied up besieging Riverland Crossing with Charlie. These soldiers are hardened veterans who fought on both sides of your husband's war. Your general figures another six thousand soldiers of dubious skill could be obtained by the end of the year, and another two to three thousand a year after that, if you choose to pressure the barons to conscript and train more of the peasantry. There is another four thousand troops to be gained in directly hiring mercenaries from North Bank City, but during her last visit to town Charlie had already made a point to scoop up everybody who was both affordable and trustworthy.

Countess Kinkaid can only speculate as to what forces the mighty clans might send. She would be shocked if any of them would be willing to presently commit more than five thousand, and this is largely because of the fighting over the newly discovered copper; Everybody fears that it might spill onto their land. With a dark chuckle, Charlie notes that the copper will likely end up under your control regardless of the outcome. She has no clue how long the situation will take to resolve itself, but suggests that if a mighty clan chooses to actively oppose Chieftain Gruel's aggression, it would be in your best interests to plant a knife firmly in your old friend's back. "Once that mess is done with, can wring another few thousand Orcs out of each of the mighty clans."

As for the enemy, Charlie explains that the central and northern counties presently provide the prince with around ten thousand soldiers, but with a higher population to draw from, they will benefit far more from the draft as the war goes on than your side will. She notes that defection and desertion will be a large concern for your foe; Many of Rubicon's new soldiers have served multiple tours of the west under the command of Glen, Sylvester, and/or one of the Kinkaids. The real problem comes from the troops the crown might send; The Kingdom could spare thirty to fifty thousand men without risking their effectiveness on the western front.

"These numbers will make victory difficult," Charlie concludes, "but will not pose an existential threat. The vast majority of troops sent by the crown will be heavy infantry, which fairs very poorly against rangers in the jungle under ideal circumstances, and when faced with Orcish casters and strong leadership on top of that, I am fairly confident that as long as the fighting is on our turf, one of our guys is easily worth four or five of theirs."

When you mention that Port County will also have to be defended, Charlie pauses in thought. "They don't have much jungle, but worst case scenario, we should be able to at least hold the Southeast corner, which contains the port. The crown risks pissing off every major merchant guild in the kingdom by disrupting busniess, so Ernie might not be that high priority of a target."

With military matters attended to, you bring up the Rothwell problem. Charlie doubts Clarence will be too much of an issue; The other Clarence, Gregory's son, is one of Phineas' more trusted underlings, and Gregory's other children are still hostage to both you and her. As long as he remains loyal, Gregory's connections and competence make the ideal mayor. If you do feel he needs to go, however, Charlie suggests using Clan Ivy to impose martial law on the city, and sending Gregory on an extended vacation to Sweet-Trap until the situation is resolved. "The Agents and Confessors of Clan Ivy should have no issue controlling a city, so long as you are comfortable controlling them."

Charlie informs you that she will be staying in town through the weekend, and returning to the site of the siege Monday.

You have another talk with Redding after dinner. First you explain Syzzik's gun import scheme, and ask how it may be protected or expanded. "If we are fighting the crown, and employing both Dark Magic and orcish clans, I see no harm in adding banned powder weapons to the mix."

Redding sighs, and pauses for though. "There is no way in the hells that my father would directly aid and abet criminals... Luckily this doesn't have to go through him. Lindwurm is mayor of the port, and if I'm not mistaken, he kind of owes you his life. I'll write him a letter. Tell your friend his three ships are free to openly offload whatever they want directly at the docks."

Next you ask about Miri Horton, and ask if he would be willing to provide her an adviser... and perhaps a lover. Your son-in-law thinks for a second, before suggesting several options. "I say if you are letting Archie back into the Duchy, you might as well let him babysit his daughter-in-law. We could even employ one of his bastards to give your friend a good time, that way any resulting offspring come out looking like they could be proper Hortons."

Not sure if you want to give Archibald that much authority right off the bat, you ask if he perhaps knows a mercenary who might stand up for Miri, both in his pants and at the negotiation table. "How about my boy Greent? I don't need him to watch Joy since Linwurm is playing messenger with my father. He hung out with that snake of an eldest daughter of yours growing up, so he knows his fair share about politics, and it would be nice to know bastards sharing my blood will inherit Southjungle County... just in case Joy's bastard ends up getting the Duchy over any legitimate children I give her."

2334th Year of Man, 5th Month, 6th Day:

Friday

You send word to Dublin, the applicants for Courtly Positions, and Angie Pence from the guard station that you will be hosting them for dinner. Then you gather both your courage and your daughter Joy, and head to the Knifehouse. The place is hopping with busniess; You suppose a few thousand hardcore Clan Ivy soldiers flooding out the doors in broad daylight will raise the profile of any eatery.

Perhaps as a measure to stall for time before you gamble with your daughter's soul, you seek out the head butcher to talk business. As you lack a proper rookery at Groghall, you decide that you will employ a flock of low maintenance undead messengers. Figuring that if you split the scrap soul five ways you will get five undead about as smart as a particularly clever raven or parrot, you instruct him to hold onto and preserve the corpses of large birds until he has five, at which point you will purchase them off him. He agrees to do so for fifty silver, so you pay up.

Next you track down one of the Bloodwalls spies, who is enjoying his lunch. You ask about the Kobolds tailing Gregory, and he dosn't have much to tell you on the matter. They are professional, and damn good at keeping other spies away from the mayor. He suggests they have to have been hired by somebody with money and an interest in the Mayor's safety, and his money is on one of the local crime syndicates in town. The goblin suggests asking Clan Ivy once they have had a few days to extablish themselves, as they will likely identify, if not remove, all other covert agents operating in town.

With no other means to put the procedure off, you lead your heir to the basement and call up Danzielipip. You introduce yourself to the new demon, and explain that your Daughter Joy, who is already a divine caster, is ready to be subjected to the test of faith. Without fanfare, the demon bids you to open the connection so that he may get to work.

You instruct Joy to enter the summoning circle, and your daughter promptly struts into position without a shred of fear or doubt on her face. Then you open a connection between realms to allow for the passage of souls, and guide your daughter through some basic breathing and meditation drills to make hers vulnerable. After several minutes of this, her eyes abruptly glaze over and Joy slumps to the floor; A sure sign that the demon now has her at his mercy.

Danzielipip seems affable enough for a demon, and gives you updates as he works. Usually the process takes him a good three hours, as he is teaching the subject divine casting from scratch, but Joy should take him fifty minutes tops as all he needs to install is a fanatical devotion to Trance, knowledge of her lore, and a few secret incantations. You mention she was looking to learn to read Orcish script, so Danzielipip throws that in as well. The whole procedure takes an hour and ten minutes. As he wraps up, the demon mentions that you accidentally sent him the still developing soul of Joy's child as well, and notes that it has unusually low potential for divine casting for the offspring of a natural priestess.

Your heart sinks as the meaning of this revelation strikes you; Goblins have the worst divine magic potential of any race with a normally structured soul.

Joy's soul, and that of her child, are snapped back into her body so hard that you feel the reverberation. Your daughter almost at once gets back to her feet and gives you a hug.

"I feel so much stronger, mom, and my life has so much more meaning. Thank you for choosing me for this. I now have the might of two goddesses with which to punish that rotten prince."

Danzielipip bids Joy to go and terrorize her enemies with her new faith and power, but asks you to stay while he relays to both Trance and Chieftess Ivy that you have passed the test. The projection stage falls silent for a good fifteen minutes, before the demon speaks again.

"The Chieftess acknowledges you as Kin to Clan Ivy. When the true power of the gate is revealed to the world, your bloodline will be made first among men."

The demon pauses for a second, to let that kick in. "The Chieftess would like to host you at her personal chambers, show you the gate, and discuss her declaration of spiritual kinship - specifically how it can be made biological fact and effect mortal politics. To become properly acquainted with her new kin, the Chieftess would like to host you for at least a week, and invites you to bring friends and family. As you are currently going through trying and difficult times, she bids you to come whenever it is convenient for you. She knows your Hex Sign, and will summon you at your request."

The mention of your Hex Sign is likely as much of an incentive to visit as it is a means to travel, as there are plenty of methods to summon you without it. Dark Mages who know their own hex can become binders, and compel demons to serve them with little to no negotiation or cost. A skilled demon can easily deduce the hex sign of anybody who contacts it, but because they know how valuable and dangerous it is, they typically charge exuberant prices for the knowledge - even Tivavarav wont sell one to a Bonedust for anything less than a hundred and fifty souls.

Danzielipip warns you to wait a few days for word to spread down the ranks through the Shamans and Agents before attempting to use your kinship to exert control over Clan Ivy. You are not even sure, however, if flouting your new relationship with the mighty clan would be a good idea.

Back at Groghall, a tall tattooed orc in a white hood introduces himself as Shaman Spittle, the divine practitioner of Tetha you requested. You explain Fortune's situation to her, and the Orc is barely able to contain her excitement.

"Your daughter must be The Girl Foretold! She fits all the criteria!" The Shaman yells, "Born blind to a fearsome mother... Lost her father young... Naturally gifted in Tetha's art of prophecy! It all fits... except she is not of Clan Python or Cobra, and the prophecy says The Girl Foretold will be born under the image of a snake."

"Redleaf Duchy flies a python on its banner, Spittle. It fits. Now what does the prophecy say?!?!?"

The Orc clams up. "Right now... right now you have means and likely motivation to obstruct the prophecy. I'm afraid I might draw Tetha's wrath if I tell you, and you use that knowledge to interfere. Every one of Tetha's few remaining prophets have known this prophecy for the last seventy five years, so your daughter would know and should be the one to tell you anyway."

---

The candidates for court positions, as well as Dublin Kinkaid and Angie Pence show up for dinner as planned. Perhaps unfortunately, so does Dublin's mother, so trying to pair him off with Angie tonight might not be the best idea.

After the standard greetings, you declare that you have decided to accept Linda Cromwell as your high priestess, and that although you have decided that you do not presently require a Court Mage on account of your own skills, you would like to offer apprenticeship in the dark arts to Fairweather Kinkaid, the dwarf Finch, and Angie Pence.

Fairweather and Finch accept your offer at once. Angie tells you she will have to put in notice and wait two weeks before she can quit her post with the city guard to study under you, but is willing to do so if you are willing to wait on her.

Do you have any announcements to make regarding the post of Master-At-Arms while you have the candidates present?

Hopefully next turn will get through at least the weekend.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31