Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Polaris Sector - Space 4X Combat Galore  (Read 7240 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Polaris Sector - Space 4X Combat Galore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 08:38:56 am »

Having played it back when it was development, before its name was changed several times, I will say that if the commercial release is anything like beta, it is not worth the asking price, even on sale. Overall it was OK, but not at the same price as Distant Worlds(also by the same publisher).

I already have Distant World but the font size kills it (I did enjoy the heck out of it when I was still on older Windows)... May I ask which part of Polaris Sector made you think it's not worth it?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 09:02:10 am »

Unless there were significant changes between beta(when it was called Remember Tomorrow, then Galaxia, then Polaris Sector), I felt that the gameplay was too repetitive, just "send fleet there, win, send fleet to next system, win, etc". A big problem with that was how linear traveling through the galaxy was.

AI diplomacy was little more than "make increasingly more difficult demands then declare war". Research was interesting, and although it boils down to "throw research points at it", you don't research individual techs, you research from different branches of science that unlock new things as you progress along them. Ship design was fun, you have a lot of different sizes of ships to work with, and its interesting seeing how things work at the different scales. An antimatter torpedo on a bomber is much different than one fired from a frigate(though oddly both use the same amount of "missiles" supply from a fleet).

Like I said, it wasn't a bad game, I just feel that it's more of a $10-$15 game than a $40 game. And of course, a lot could have changed between beta and release.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »

Thanks for the input, I'm most intrigued by the ship design, but I think I'll pass.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 09:45:04 pm »

So this game just a major patch and a DLC.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/620680/Polaris_Sector_Lumens/
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 12:01:29 am »

Holy cheeseballs, that writing is atrociously cringeworthy. It reads like a recently disillusioned teenager's first foray into Nietzsche.

Granted, a very small part of this kind of game, but I had to laugh.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 01:04:08 am »

Yea. Not the best marketing writing in the least, but excited for the new different race though. And the patch has lots of neat gameplay changes and quality of life stuff. I am really enjoying the Fleet design and point of destination. And I havent gotten a chance to try out the automatic fullfillment of fighters to carriers yet. I just may start doing fighter now with that feature. That was a tad too much for me.

But yea. You design a fleet. I did find adding ships to the fleet designer window not straight forward. But yea, you design a fleet.

Then you go to a system to make it a rally point, and what kind of fleet you want there. And then as long as your designs can make the distance, it'll spread the work through the empire and automove them. Its suppose to even do this with Space Stations. I havent yet done that either.
But I love this game. I'm quite excited for it.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 05:00:48 am »

You know this game started on here before it was picked up by slitherine. 

It was known as something tomorrow.  I don't remember.  I'll find the link. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142966.0

Oh hey, that was easy. 

Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 06:33:09 pm »

I did not know that, no. Thanks for the link!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:33 pm »

I do know, I made a few posts in that thread.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »

So I loaded this up again and picked up the DLC, tried once again to get into it and I really can't. It feels so sterile.. there are no real random events, nothing much ever happens. Colonizing a planet is just a clinical boop, colony landed. There are no real politics, diplomacy is barebones. How do you guys stick with it?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 10:24:42 am »

I got 158 hours in it.

I really like the logistics part of it, and the ship design aspect to it. The AI can be pretty devious, and there good system of hidden information to reward spying. Like you can have a treaty to ban a race from making a certain size of ship. And as long as you dont see them, they can make them as much as they want. I really like the combat. I find myself at a lot of time making it run as slow as possible, watching it. The fighter are really fun to watch. I dont know how much of this is bull shit but they really seem to only act on their own information. And I've used tactics to successfully to take on superior numbers. And I've had wars where I've one because I had better logistics then them.

I also really like some of the story telling it makes. Like, I've been meaning to upgrade this space station, its been on this border planet for 150 years. Its a wii bit out dated. And there been game where I've gotten such a tech lead, that I've had ships stay in service for 2 or 3 centuries.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 12:11:46 pm »

I got 158 hours in it.

I really like the logistics part of it, and the ship design aspect to it. The AI can be pretty devious, and there good system of hidden information to reward spying. Like you can have a treaty to ban a race from making a certain size of ship. And as long as you dont see them, they can make them as much as they want. I really like the combat. I find myself at a lot of time making it run as slow as possible, watching it. The fighter are really fun to watch. I dont know how much of this is bull shit but they really seem to only act on their own information. And I've used tactics to successfully to take on superior numbers. And I've had wars where I've one because I had better logistics then them.

I also really like some of the story telling it makes. Like, I've been meaning to upgrade this space station, its been on this border planet for 150 years. Its a wii bit out dated. And there been game where I've gotten such a tech lead, that I've had ships stay in service for 2 or 3 centuries.

I'm in a similar place. In terms of built-in narrative, it's certainly drier than, say, the Endless Space series. But I find the ship construction to be in a sweet spot for me. It's a little more constrained than Star Ruler, which I found a smidge too abstract, while being way more complex than the paper-rock-scissors of the Galactic Civilization series. The tech intersects with shipbuilding in a good-not-great way.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 06:56:35 pm »

Oh man, minus the shitty interface and the tedium of planetary invasions, Distant Worlds is one of my favorite Space 4X games. My absolute favorite part is the economy, is there a similar level of economy in this game?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:00:31 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:05 pm »

No. This game's economy is just an omnipresent resource pool that all planets feed into and draw from.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 08:28:15 am »

No. This game's economy is just an omnipresent resource pool that all planets feed into and draw from.
So every mining facility, adds to the pool. So all the resources cap to x300 times production.  In a lot of my games, I run into resource limiations. Bottle necks. Maintaince, gets to take resources first, then concentration. I've had ships be delayed for years because they cant get enough resources. To the point where I have to use certain compotents for the ships, based on what they need to be made and what they need to be maintained. And this is where trading stuff really is neat. I do find the window to be kinda hard to grasp. It took me a while until I needed to figure it out to get my empire economy moving again. But yea, set up lots of disadvantagious trade routes of resources I was flushed with for the ones I'm not. And then also buying their stocks as much as as I can. I've had games where I've bought 30k organics, and then they insteadly get used for constructions. And then this also influence who I pick fights with, so I can get the resources I needed.
Pages: 1 [2]