Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My mayor just saved the life of my legendary carpenter, how do I reward her?  (Read 1584 times)

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey everyone

In the greedy search for a magma pipe we unfortunately breached a lower section of the caverns releasing a mega beast into the fort, my dwarves quickly tried to seal it off at the stairways but the beast proved too fast and managed to descend with haste towards the unsuspecting heart of the fort

And worse of all a legendary carpenter and member of the original seven had been left behind on the original and failed walling project on the breach

But one dwarf stood behind and completed the wall that sealed off the passage.
It was the mayor who managed to seal off the monstrous and save the life of the legendary carpenter by inches

Here we can see them ascending trough a safe stair towards the rest of the fort

The dark abomination that nearly took their brave lives

And now the question remains how can I reward such a noble dwarf? she already has a grand bedromm and royal throne room with several masterfully crafted engravings

Any ideas of how to reward her?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By not replacing her and by suffering her mandates willingly...
Engravings and statues commemorating the event in prominent places may also be appropriate.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile

If you kill the beast, cook it up and only let her eat it as a reward for saving the dwarves.

What's that? Urist McVeteran lost both his arms, a leg, his left ear and received a bruised nose? Nevermind him, this Mayor gets to eat the beast (not that Urist can eat it with no arms anyway).
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Get her a weapon rack and 2 grates.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Get her a weapon rack and 2 grates.

You are right!

The brave mayor finally got her weapon rack and grates, now I will probably keep a couple of masons making silver grates just to keep her happy.

Now the task at hand is much harder to kill the forgotten beast, who still lurks down in the deepest caves...

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile

*demands creation of grates*

*restricts export of them*

How greedy...
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A pair of Gold statues at the fortress entrance of the 'mayor strikes a triumphant pose, forgotten beast is in a fetal position' kind. Is there an option for a wall to be an element of a statue? 'Mayor is standing on the wall striking a triumphant pose, forgotten beast is screaming' would be good.

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*demands creation of grates*

*restricts export of them*

How greedy...

Greedy?  Those safety grates she mandated won't serve their purpose if they're exported and left to gather moss in some elf trader's tree.  They need to be installed where they'll make a difference, such as in the irrigation drainage pipe or over the crundle pit.

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a masterful gold statue of Id McMayor, 200 dwarves and Osnong the Forgotten Beast. Id is striking down Osnong. Osnong is screaming. Osnong is burning. Osnong is withering away. The 200 dwarves are making a submissive gesture. Id McMayor is striking a triumphant pose. Id McMayor is embracing a grate.

This, in every room of the fortress.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is just a poison stinger, not webby or dusty or fiery.  Send your macedwarfs down to club it to death, then have it butchered.  FB roasts for all!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile

It is just a poison stinger, not webby or dusty or fiery.  Send your macedwarfs down to club it to death, then have it butchered.  FB roasts for all!
No it's three poison stingers.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

But one dwarf stood behind and completed the wall that sealed off the passage.
It was the mayor who managed to seal off the monstrous and save the life of the legendary carpenter by inches

At first, I thought your mayor would have managed to kill the beast all by herself  :P

But it's okay since she saved the fortress; and herself at the same time (IMO the later was more important to her).
So... I don't think this fearful mayor should be rewarded, or only in very subtle fashion.

Since the mayor's first instinct was to seal off the monster for her own safety, one could think of rewarding her by sealing the mayor off !
(eg : in her bedroom, with enough food for years... Use strong silver walls to seal her off if you have some spare silver, to make sure she doesn't escape she is safe !)

That way, you can be sure the Noble will be far from harm's way ! Nothing bad will happen to her ! She will live with valuable furnitures, and be safe from upcoming sieges, FB and magma leaks !

And remember, every dwarf's dream is to live a long and peaceful life..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:01:02 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]