Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Stone Age Design Game (War - Turn 9 - Design Phase)  (Read 28701 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Age Design Game (Need votes to decide upon next designs)
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2016, 07:54:41 pm »

Hidey-pit
Salt

P.S.
 Tigers are simple enough to domesticate. You just send all your kids out to catch two tigers once a generation. Sooner or later you get a breeding pair and start passing down the cubs while the highly lethal growing-up ceremony maintains genetic diversity. And it gives the elders something to grumble about when the kids have it too easy with their newfangled nets and tranq-darts power-armour and what-have-you...

P.P.S.
 Might I suggest having the suggestion and voting phase acting simultaneously but you can only vote on the previous round's suggestions? It would be a bother to sift through the mixed-together vote and suggest posts, but it would keep things going at a decent rate, hopefully...
 It often bugs me that most design games have the suggestions designed in response to current stimuli and put into production instantaneously. It seems more sensible to give them a whole turn to work on their prototypes before presenting them for refinement and production and also adds more of a predictive element to the thing.

On that note suggestion for next round: Tame Growls: As a ceremony to become official hunters, the candidates are lead into the woods by the best hunters and are expected to come back with two live growls which are then restrained and fed until they become too lazy to care about anything anymore.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2016, 08:12:22 pm »

P.P.S.
 Might I suggest having the suggestion and voting phase acting simultaneously but you can only vote on the previous round's suggestions? It would be a bother to sift through the mixed-together vote and suggest posts, but it would keep things going at a decent rate, hopefully...
 It often bugs me that most design games have the suggestions designed in response to current stimuli and put into production instantaneously. It seems more sensible to give them a whole turn to work on their prototypes before presenting them for refinement and production and also adds more of a predictive element to the thing.

I believe that approach will only confuse things in contrast to the suggestion-vote idea I have.  Heck, this current turn, having a mixed system, is closing in on 5 days since the prior turn.

As a note on the problem of things being developed based upon the current stimuli, the turns are currently not occurring over a year, 5 years, or even a decade.  It is instead taking place over a period close to fifty years.  When things slow down, I have an idea of how to solve the issue.  Rather than being implemented immediately, I'll have designs not implemented on the turn after they were designed.  Instead, it will be the turn after they were designed (ie. If the game starts at the end of 1910, the design made for that year won't come in until 1912.)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2016, 02:46:26 am »

In the hope to revive this hopefully before it really dies:

Pottery
Salt

(choosen from the ones already voted for, to at leat get something (would have preferred taming tigers :P))

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2016, 02:27:41 pm »

So thats

Pottery: Asea, Asgarus, Urist Mc Dwarf
Throwing stick sticks(spear throwers): Asea
Salt: Asgarus, Urist Mc Dwarf, RAM, Ultimuh
Dried Meat: Ultimuh
Hiding pits: RAM

Looks like the salty pots have it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2016, 04:04:24 am »

Technological advancement, do your thing!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2016, 09:36:04 am »

So thats

+1 Salt
+1 Pottery

To vote on the remaining 2

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2016, 11:44:31 am »

So thats

+1 Salt
+1 Pottery

To vote on the remaining 2
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2016, 12:19:32 pm »

Food become better.  Pots made over pain light makes food last longer.  Pain light and salt make meat taste better.  Trying to use Pain Light and Salt on Berries or Grained Grass makes food taste bad.  Pain light also keeps people warm.  HAve to be careful with pain light.  Hunting party made lot of forest burn with pain light.

Farthest hunters tell of seeing a wandering group.  Attempts to talk caused them to run away.  Came back to find out no other hunters of tribe were in area.  Very confusing.

Spoiler: 'Nation' Profile (click to show/hide)

Begin Suggestion Phase[/size

The suggestion phase is the 24 hour period of time wherein suggestions for what could be used on the next turn are made.  It is to be followed by the voting phase, where individuals vote upon provided suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:12:29 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2016, 12:49:38 pm »

My idea is using the animals and get leather, gut string, and make a bow and arrow; arrows is a smaller scale of Pointy Stick

Propose:

Name: Animal Skin (resource)
Description: Animals skins dried with salt make soft yet strong cover.  Can use on body and sleep huts, protects from weather.
Resources: Animals (Antler, Hairy Horn, Neigh) skin, Salt

Name: Animal Gut Rope  (resource)
Description: Animals insides cut into ropes with sharp rock make soft yet strong ropes.
Resources: Animals (Antler, Hairy Horn, Neigh) insides, Sharp Rock

Name: Shoot Stick (weapon)
Description: Strong wood bends.  Tie Gut Rope one ends of Strong wood. Use smaller Pointy Stick in middle of Gut Rope, Hold Strong Wood, Pull Gut and let go makes smaller Pointy Stick go far and stab animals.
Resources: Animals Gut Rope, Strong Wood, "smaller" Pointy Stick.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Age Design Game (Suggestion Phase)
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2016, 01:20:00 pm »

Heres my three cents.

Name: Farming
 Description: Trash piles seem to grow plants thrown away. Can we make plants grow where we want them somehow?

Name: Tame Growls
 Description: If we take small growls, can we be their pack when they get big? Would help protect home.

Name: Milling/baking

Description: If we try taking grained grass, crush between two rocks (one with a dip in it would eb good), then mix the resulting powder with water and put next to fire, may be good food for when hot meat is too messy.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »

I am proposing the following technologies:
Fishing nets
Using ropes or vines to braid fishing nets. Makes catching swimmers easier.

Wicker baskets
Better for transport than pots. Easier to make and doesn't shatter when hitting the ground too hard.

Roar taming
Stealing and taming the cubs and killing the old ones could be the easiest way, until we have a tame breeding population.
Will be good for defense, offense hunting, and cuddling.

Also... I don't know what plans you have with that food section, but since you said you want to keep it simple, I have an idea for that.
Just list what types of food the tribe has access to, like this: (I added color codes for different types (grain, fruit, meat, vegetables))
Accessable food sources:
Grained Grass
Red Berries
Blue Berries
Orange Berries
Swimmer
Antler
Hairy Horn
Neigh
Salad
Carrots

And additionally you could list the methods of processing food.
Salting meat
Squeezing juice out of berries
Grinding grained grass to powder
Grinding meat
Making sausages from ground meat
Mixing vegetables together

Something like that. :)

edit: Roars were tigers, right?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:23:58 pm by Asgarus »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2016, 01:32:41 pm »

Yes they where. Also, if we go and farm, chances are that some of them would semi-domesticate themselves while going after vermin thats after our grain stores.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2016, 01:37:01 pm »

I don't think tigers would hunt close to our stuff. They might hunt for us, but not for whatever small vermin might steal our grain.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »

Smaller cats than tigers are probably about.

Anyways, would you rather try taming the slightly easier doggies before going after god like cats, or just start at god-tier? In addition, tigers are slightly less useful in hunting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15