Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 39788 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day n+1
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2016, 01:19:09 pm »

Shipping and handling plus taxes add another ~$100 to that number. The minimum recommended video card, processor, and memory(which most people don't have because they are entirely excessive for any non-VR applications) add another ~$1000 to the price of getting started with VR.
I don't think it's entirely excessive - you can pretty much manage it with the same rig as you'd need for The Witcher 3 on high settings. More than that, we're only really just hitting the main stride of games taking advantage of the hardware in this generation of consoles, which means that most people that want to play current AAA games on a PC will need to update to about the VR level of hardware to enjoy them.
That's not really accurate. I have a better graphics card than the Xbox One (which was a mid-line card when it was announced) and can handle any AAA game no problem, but benchmarking indicates that I'd only be able to do VR at a fraction of the necessary FPS. Both Steam and Oculus suggest a card which is fairly high-tier right now, and will cost you a good bit more than the entire xbone.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:20:48 pm by Cruxador »

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:06 pm »

How much is warranty for different VR? I wonder how long is their life time, and how easy is for thing to malfunction

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »

Heck, CLEANING them sounds like a chore. Imagine a keyboard, except you strap it to your face.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:52 pm »

Is there any way of hiding all the VR stuff on steam? The vive isn't sold in Brazil and with our current economic crisis importing one would probably cost me two years of rent, so adding on top of most VR games appearing to be complete shit, i'm not financially interested at all.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2016, 03:44:03 pm »

That's not really accurate. I have a better graphics card than the Xbox One (which was a mid-line card when it was announced) and can handle any AAA game no problem, but benchmarking indicates that I'd only be able to do VR at a fraction of the necessary FPS. Both Steam and Oculus suggest a card which is fairly high-tier right now, and will cost you a good bit more than the entire xbone.

Yes it is. The Oculus Rift has pretty much the exact same requirements as the recommended specs for StarWars Battlefront (i5 and gtx970 - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/star-wars-battlefront-2015-alpha/12732), and less than Doom 4 (which wants a 4gb 970 and an i7).

I'm not saying the specs aren't high but they're not excessive by any means. In 6 months to a year (which is pretty much when most people who haven't preordered will get an OR) then these will seem even more moderate.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2016, 09:02:31 pm »

I'm wondering if the whole DX/Mantle/Vulcan releases will kick the specs down a tad? Fair enough, it's necessary to double render everything, but I wouldn't be surprised if some things get worked out in the render pipeline to make that a bit easier. They are two different "cameras/viewports", but they're pretty damn close together for standard binocular vision.

There's lots of things that only have to be loaded once and used used twice (to use a fairly incorrect analogy). But GPUs are multicore parallel by default, so there are ways.....

Ps3 got pretty sexy by the end of the console's run, x86 hardware is going to end up the same. In some respects, standardized console hardware should make it easier to push the techniques, with easy flow-over to PC (and all it's horribly dissimilar configurations). GTA5 was worlds ahead on render distances compared to early PS3 releases, just due to a few well known coding tricks that weren't used as well up until that time. So I'm assuming similar twinned-pipeline, direct-to-hardware coding tricks will come into being pretty soon for VR. It's usually better/faster than dealing with another layer of middle-ware between your good coding and fast screen output. Screen 1 and Screen 2 is a thing in VR.

It's still a graphics card bottleneck, but CPU specs may not need to be as vigorous once Vulcan, etc come through properly, as well as CPU->GPU pipelines getting properly sorted for twin displays, freeing up some processing resources for most users.

Is split-screen local multiplayer that hard to do? Not really, but it does use more GPU power. VR is like that, but you've got a really good chance that all models, brushes, textures, shaders and lights all get used twice in every frame. Those two "viewports" tend to be pretty close together asset-wise on rendering the final scene, even if you're a giant mecha. But all at full render resolution, through different "monitor ports", one for each eye. In a way, it's no different from split-screen, or anything that renders multiple viewports/cameras. There's already very good ways of doing so, but utilizing multi-core parallelism has never been one of indy dev's strong points. And that's what half of VR seems to be right now. Tech demos and indy 1-shots. When the big boys go "Oh, we've already got rendering pipelines that do that, we call it "split-screen and multi-monitor support"", a lot of problems go away.

They'll still want you to buy a 970+. It makes framerate problems go away too.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:25:24 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2016, 01:18:45 am »

Heck, CLEANING them sounds like a chore. Imagine a keyboard, except you strap it to your face.

Pink eye pandemic. Calling it. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2016, 01:17:32 pm »

So far my feelings are summed pretty well by this gif: Gify Gif
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2016, 02:16:06 pm »

I'm wondering if the whole DX/Mantle/Vulcan releases will kick the specs down a tad? Fair enough, it's necessary to double render everything, but I wouldn't be surprised if some things get worked out in the render pipeline to make that a bit easier. They are two different "cameras/viewports", but they're pretty damn close together for standard binocular vision.
It's still a graphics card bottleneck, but CPU specs may not need to be as vigorous once Vulcan, etc come through properly, as well as CPU->GPU pipelines getting properly sorted for twin displays, freeing up some processing resources for most users.

Definitely. Once/If this hits the mainstream, there will be an effort across the board to get everyone to that level. They'll be a race to supply Graphics cards that can deal with it at prices the broader public are willing to pay, and software optimisation will come along in leaps in bounds.

Not only that, but as standard PC owners are starting to get more and more left behind in terms of what they can play at all, this will be good timing for companies to get PC users in a state where they can buy this gen's releases.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2016, 03:05:20 pm »

It's a Herpes face mask.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »

It's a Herpes face mask.

Just you wait until the third generation consoles roll out with crotch adapters.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2016, 05:49:03 pm »

Thhh.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[SCREAMING INTENSIFIES]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2016, 07:27:07 pm »

Just you wait until the third generation consoles roll out with crotch adapters.
The future is now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2016, 09:52:29 pm »

Apparently Occulus is STILL behind schedule for deliveries. Vive is doing fine, though.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2016, 04:15:45 am »

Well, Oculus is a new company that hasn't put out any hardware before, and HTC is used to putting out phones. So that makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18