Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 39796 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 3
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 04:34:01 pm »

Strategy games could work well if you had a proper control interface, but I have a feeling that reading text in a constantly slightly moving backdrop might get a bit...hard on the eyes. It'll be interesting to see what comes up.

I imagine one of the main draws for a lot of people will be the cinema experience thing - has anyone had a good go with those? I can imagine it being pretty good for movies!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 06:19:14 pm »

Strategy games could work well if you had a proper control interface, but I have a feeling that reading text in a constantly slightly moving backdrop might get a bit...hard on the eyes.
That's why I never read signs while driving.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2016, 10:46:29 pm »

I'm also working on a vr version of Armok Vision
What scale? Will the player be a dwarf, or a giant with the map scaled to match your room size? I see advantages to both.

I'll be allowing you to shrink yourself down to dwarf size.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2016, 11:11:16 pm »

Have we reached peak VR yet? The thread title counter is killing me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2016, 11:56:19 pm »

Have we reached peak VR yet? The thread title counter is killing me.

It continues until the latest VR fad ends.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2016, 02:43:25 am »

Have we reached peak VR yet?
Not for many days yet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2016, 04:21:58 pm »

Strategy games could work well if you had a proper control interface, but I have a feeling that reading text in a constantly slightly moving backdrop might get a bit...hard on the eyes.
That's why I never read signs while driving.

Yeah that's never a good idea, luckily I find texting ok though.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day n+1
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2016, 02:32:07 pm »

Vive's releasing soon, and Steam is going on a VR promotion rampage. What are your opinions on the prospect of early VR as a standalone platform/service, with its own content and user base? Is it time (again) to throw away the Wii?

Normally, I'm... apathetic about technological innovation, conservative even. That said, I might just shill out the bills, for that nifty looking Audioshield game if nothing else.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »

If I had like $2000 lying around, I would consider it. Still, I think I'd wait for the second generation. If I had to get one from the current generation, I think I'd go with Vive just because I like the potential of room-scale VR.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2016, 03:47:45 pm »

If I had like $2000 lying around, I would consider it. Still, I think I'd wait for the second generation. If I had to get one from the current generation, I think I'd go with Vive just because I like the potential of room-scale VR.

Curiously, where are you getting the 2K from? Last I checked, pre-order Vive was ~$799.00 Still pricey, of course.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2016, 04:02:09 pm »

Curiously, where are you getting the 2K from? Last I checked, pre-order Vive was ~$799.00 Still pricey, of course.
I guess 2k is also for new PC so you can run it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »

I guess 2k is also for new PC so you can run it.
I found that despite my computer not being super new, the only think I would need to upgrade would be my graphics card, so it would be more like ~$1300. I think that most people who are in the situation that they're considering this at all would probably be in a similar position regarding already available hardware.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2016, 09:40:22 pm »

Shipping and handling plus taxes add another ~$100 to that number. The minimum recommended video card, processor, and memory(which most people don't have because they are entirely excessive for any non-VR applications) add another ~$1000 to the price of getting started with VR.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 01:15:06 am »

Yowza. I'll have to download that benchmark when I get the chance, to see whether or not I should even spend the time of day considering it.

So much for the notion of a VR Giveaway... xD

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2016, 09:00:08 am »

Shipping and handling plus taxes add another ~$100 to that number. The minimum recommended video card, processor, and memory(which most people don't have because they are entirely excessive for any non-VR applications) add another ~$1000 to the price of getting started with VR.
I don't think it's entirely excessive - you can pretty much manage it with the same rig as you'd need for The Witcher 3 on high settings. More than that, we're only really just hitting the main stride of games taking advantage of the hardware in this generation of consoles, which means that most people that want to play current AAA games on a PC will need to update to about the VR level of hardware to enjoy them.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18