Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 39765 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 514: PTTG Buys One
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2017, 01:22:31 pm »

Well, it's awesome.

I've basically been either playing in VR or thinking about VR since I got it, but curiously enough the most fun I've had is watching my friends use it. Superhot is superb but physically demanding, and I highly recommend it for borderline systems such as the one I have. Robo Recall is not your ordinary shovelware; it's actually a very fair demo of what VR can do, and a fun game in its own right. Tilt brush seems really overpriced for what it is.

Steam support is spotty right now, but when the next update comes around I hope that native support works.

One thing that Steam has which Oculus does not is workshop support. There are two nice, detailed home settings for rift, but it's nothing compared to the infinite number of user-made settings.

I want to start and end each game session on a TNG-era holodeck. Is that too much to ask?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2017, 01:43:17 pm »

I'm still waiting for 3 things to show up on VR

1: A proper MMORPG, designed specifically for VR.
2: A Competitive team-based PvP, something in the FPS/RTS/MOBA vein, with a highly active user base
3: An adventure game, with 50+ hours of exploration and collecting.

No matter how impressive the tech-demos, they're never going to sell me on a VR system.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2017, 11:31:42 am »

2: A Competitive team-based PvP, something in the FPS/RTS/MOBA vein, with a highly active user base

Onward is an FPS and seems to be fairly active. There's also the (free!) Rec Room, which has a bunch of multiplayer games.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2017, 02:07:29 pm »

I don't know if I want to play a competitive multiplayer FPS. I get stressed out when it's on a screen.

I'd like a nice Co-op PvE shooter, though.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2017, 01:48:09 am »

I'd like a nice Co-op PvE shooter, though.

Have you tried Raw Data?
It is a wave defense shooter with 4 classes (pistols, shotgun, sword, bow), tower defense style turret placement and 2 player co-op.

You have to protect a cyber-cube-thingy from various robots and drones, while dodging shots from their laser rifles (or blocking them Jedi style if you're playing the ninja girl), surviving the environment and sometimes the other players shenanigans.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2017, 04:33:22 pm »

Hmm... This game would allow me to climb across very buildings.  Sounds promising.  I have always wanted to much more across the buildings like, and now I can such experience.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2017, 12:34:23 am »

Honestly, the featured list sounds great even if you don't want to strip and kiss girls. But then, the only dev update is "we decided to throw out what we had and start fresh" so is day that it really doesn't exist.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2017, 03:31:50 am »

The HTC Vive just got a $200 price cut.

It's now $600, down from $800.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2017, 07:57:14 am »

Ironically, the free viveport trial, despite essentially meaning "you get any five games or programs you like, free" is probably going to show as a weaker selling point than the Rift's free bundle, simply because it's less straightforward.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2017, 08:47:37 am »

Ironically, the free viveport trial, despite essentially meaning "you get any five games or programs you like, free" is probably going to show as a weaker selling point than the Rift's free bundle, simply because it's less straightforward.

It is difficult to use.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2017, 11:49:33 am »

"Hey, so our main competitor just cut their price down to half of ours."

"Excellent. Wait for everyone who was considering VR to buy one of our competitor's products, then sell our product for 50% more than their sale price."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2017, 12:55:30 pm »

Yet what I hear is that most people who have tried both still recommend the Vive.  *shrug*
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2017, 02:12:16 pm »

"Hey, so our main competitor just cut their price down to half of ours."

"Excellent. Wait for everyone who was considering VR to buy one of our competitor's products, then sell our product for 50% more than their sale price."

I think they're not really straight competitors. Oculus and PSVR are both seated experiences, whereas Vive is room scale. I can't currently use room scale VR - so I'd have to get Oculus or PSVR if I wanted to buy VR now.

Having tried both I think Vive is better, but many people just aren't going to have room. If you're a 18 year old living with your parents, room-scale VR probably isn't going to work - if you're a 30 year old mum with two kids having run of the house, it's probably not going to work out either. It's way easier to just find somewhere to sit and put on the VR.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2017, 03:01:19 pm »

I wonder if we will see a PSVR price drop next? Having lower resolution and fps and a much more limited library, price was really the only thing PSVR had going for it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18