Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What exactly is an unexciting life?  (Read 4225 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
What exactly is an unexciting life?
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:52:42 am »

I've got a lot of dwarves who are bored because they live an unexciting life. Is there anything in particular I can do about that? What makes a life exciting or unexciting?

Some are also bored after not practicing a martial art. Is there a way to deal with that without adding yet more military squads?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly is an unexciting life?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:57:48 am »

Part time military squads.
Assign a bedroom in the caverns.

That should get you started. Remember needs are balanced. Some people want to practice martial arts, but it's not going to bother them too much if they're working as a carpenter so long as they can pray every day if that need is much stronger.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:47:37 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:01:59 am »

Martial arts: Yes and no...
I've put all civilians who are not miners, woodcutters, or hate military skills (and thus tend to be assigned as woodcutters) into civilian squads equipped with a melee weapon of their choice and a shield "over clothing". One month a year I then set each squad to active duty and change the training dojo to have that squad training. If they manage to increase their skill over that time the martial arts need is fulfilled (for the time being). When the time is up I set the squad to inactive and remove it from training in the dojo (otherwise the members will spend their time on individual training rather than working, once sufficient skill has been gained). It's a bit of micro management, unfortunately, but works. With a bit of luck it also gives them some chance to handle hostile encounters with local wildlife.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 05:30:06 am »

Killing some cave creatures classifies as 'doing somehing exciting'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:39:21 am »

I'm planning to test something for this today. I think that even a good scare is enough to satisfy this need, so I'm going to stick a caged hostile in a little box of windows in my dining room, then rig bridges to block the view most of the time. In theory I should be able to safely spook everyone and "excite" Dwarves by so doing.

But regardless, a shield, a hammer, and some crundles satisfies this need and also makes roasts and crafts...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:39:44 pm »

I'm planning to test something for this today. I think that even a good scare is enough to satisfy this need, so I'm going to stick a caged hostile in a little box of windows in my dining room, then rig bridges to block the view most of the time. In theory I should be able to safely spook everyone and "excite" Dwarves by so doing.

But regardless, a shield, a hammer, and some crundles satisfies this need and also makes roasts and crafts...
If the scare trick works, maybe an undead behind a curtain (a.k.a. drawbridge) with a fortification in between could make double duty as vampire/necro scanner and excitement generator.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:00:21 pm »

Maybe add some repeating spikes in your hallways, that should add some excitement

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 11:23:00 am »

Just capture a few goblin in cage traps and release one of them in your tavern from time to time. ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 12:31:56 pm »

Require hand-to-hand combat with live goblins before entry is allowed to the dining room.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »

In at least some cases, preforming in the tavern is counted as "exciting"
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 12:40:27 pm »

In at least some cases, preforming in the tavern is counted as "exciting"
Require hand-to-hand combat with live goblins before entry is allowed to the dining room.

Combine these for karate bard action.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0