Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you punish your dwarves for random things?  (Read 2824 times)

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you punish your dwarves for random things?
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »

I was working on my jungle fortress and I noticed that most of my alcohol just consisted of lychee wine and rice beer, with very few others. So I checked to see if the dwarves were bored of the alcohols, and one of them, Lor Kadolarban, was one of these dwarves.

Lor was a normal dwarf, but then I noticed his ideals about independence, freedom, and friendship.

"He personally finds the ideas of independence and freedom somewhat foolish and does not care about friendship."

Well Lor, being a Brony overseer, I flipped out. I quickly changed his nickname to "FRIENDSHIP HATER" and locked him in a burrow inside of an empty upcoming office room.

He will spend a good portion of his life there, and if he dies of me not letting him out to eat food, than so be it. If he doesnt like friendship in my fortress (Which btw has a mudstone pyramid that sacrifices giant anoles and honey badgers:stained with blood and vomit, as well as decorated with bodies. Also the place is teeming with ghosts and dead bodies of grazers I forget to put into the pastures. Maybe I should sacrifice him), he has no place in it.

Ironically, although he doesnt care about friendship, he still has more people he's on friendly terms with than passing acquaintances.
Advise 1: Babies + Miners doing an aquifer plug + underground = Floating Haunted Baby Fun.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you punish your dwarves for random things?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:35:04 pm »

That sounds kind of harsh. "Does not care about friendship" is actually pretty neutral, at least it doesn't say "finds the whole idea of friendship disgusting". I'm not 100% sure, but I think he can still make friends. The only way to find out is to let him out and allow !!SCIENCE!! to occur.

#FreeLor
Max avatar size is 80x80

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:21 pm »

Never! I will never free him--Oh god...
My brony side...
It can--NO! I MUST---NOOO!

I had to let him out because he became thirsty, hungry AND unconscious inside of his room. I still think I should set up an "accident".

But I swear, if I find some one dwarf that is disgusted by friendship, I WILL SACRIFICE HIM TO THE TWO SISTERS!
He will learn to love friendship through death.
*Btw, Im sorry for this gif, but Im a brony, k? Reason for dis whole mess so ye.*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Advise 1: Babies + Miners doing an aquifer plug + underground = Floating Haunted Baby Fun.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:58:20 pm »

I don't like having to punish my dwarves directly. I won't shy from having a tough fortress guard and silver warhammer equipped hammerer but I consider it a final resort when I have to apply the hand of god to a troublesome dwarf.

I usually construct some fairly elaborate execution device which requires my  full attention to get working just right.

And I kind of like the idea of a vampire being able to survive a fairly long drop and give them a chance to live out their days in third cavern layer (lots of fun for future vampire hunter adventurers).

On a different subject, since dwarves argue with each other a lot, presumably their values change from time to time? Your friendship hating dorf might have been saved just by having him hang out in the tavern for a while with a bunch of merry goblins.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:00:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:04:07 pm »

Hmmm... Thy overseer see's thy point. Very well! We shall let him off to the tavern! However, if he does not change his ways, his way is straight for a session of bleeding out while impaled on spears after falling 3 stories from a pyramid.

(Thinking of making a bigger, taller, better sacrificial pyramid.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »

Why should I care? Their lives are usually too peaceful and uneventful(read: boring).
If I see a dwarf causing an accident I will probably praise him for it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »

Hmmm... Thy overseer see's thy point. Very well! We shall let him off to the tavern! However, if he does not change his ways, his way is straight for a session of bleeding out while impaled on spears after falling 3 stories from a pyramid.

(Thinking of making a bigger, taller, better sacrificial pyramid.
Will be most amusing if he convinces everyone in the tavern to hate friendship too...

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 10:03:28 pm »

Than kill them all! They will know shadows, the darkness that is without friendship! Then the drunken ditz's will come to their senses...When they are DEAD!

Bwahahahaahaha!

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 10:05:09 pm »

Wait...

WHAT THE FUCK!

Lor is sitting inside of my throne room that I have set up incase the monarch is coming by, sitting on the microcline throne, surrounded by golden statues and statues of various sources, etc etc. AND EATING! That motherfucker!

He's going to DIE.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 10:54:29 pm »

And dwarves are supposed to know it's the future king's room because...?
Right now it's just a nicely decorated seating area - rude to ignore it after everyone's gone to such an effort to create it. You're being somewhat unreasonable.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 11:12:19 pm »

Yeah, if you don't lock the door to your throne room or basically remove it, undesignate it as a room or such, a lot of your dwarves will be sitting on that throne.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:14:38 pm by Atomisk »
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 11:14:17 pm »

I knew I should've forbidden the doors.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 11:25:06 pm »

Don't punish your dwarves, their lfe is already hard because the game just hate them.

By example do not cut any trees around your fort and just wait, you will see at a point a message about one of your dwarves is missing.
You'll probably look for him and will notice the dwarf is dead from dehydration, stuck on a tree.
That's because the game allow them to climb when the poor buggers are terrified/running away or in combat situation, but as soon as the situation is cleared, the game sadistically will not allow them to climb down and they'll die there from being unable to drink and eat.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 01:21:01 am »

Not unless their behavior is destructive, otherwise it's: "Everybody has their own way of life."

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 06:37:07 am »

Don't punish your dwarves, their lfe is already hard because the game just hate them.

By example do not cut any trees around your fort and just wait, you will see at a point a message about one of your dwarves is missing.
You'll probably look for him and will notice the dwarf is dead from dehydration, stuck on a tree.
That's because the game allow them to climb when the poor buggers are terrified/running away or in combat situation, but as soon as the situation is cleared, the game sadistically will not allow them to climb down and they'll die there from being unable to drink and eat.
I have dealt with that too many times. But still, I do not tolerate those who dont "care" about friendship or dislike friendship.
Pages: [1] 2