Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151310 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeki British Brexit thread
« Reply #1395 on: June 27, 2016, 08:26:32 pm »

And so begins the Scottish Empire.
Hereditary investors of the Darien Scheme are doubtless looking forward to their due returns, shortly...  ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:43:02 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 27, 2016, 08:51:40 pm »

EU diplomancers reject the idea Boris Yeltsin Johnson had floating around about keeping single market access easily.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/27/brussels-rejects-boris-johnson-pipe-dream-over-single-market-access
European diplomats have dismissed claims from Boris Johnson that the UK could negotiate access to the EU single market without obeying any of the rules.

“You cannot have your cake and eat it,” said an EU diplomat, echoing a phrase the former mayor of London used during the campaign and which looks set to come back to haunt him.

In a further blow to the leave camp’s credibility, Germany’s leading business group distanced itself from Johnson’s suggestion that German business expected Britain’s free trade with Europe to continue seamlessly.

After more than two days of silence following the leave campaign’s stunning victory, Johnson set out his pitch for the UK’s future relationship with the EU in one of his highly lucrative Daily Telegraph columns.

While David 'give me pearls to lure swine' Cameron is about to be stared down by some of his soon-to-be erstwhile colleagues. I you ever wondered whether stares could kill, we're about to find out.

BBC: Brexit: Cameron to face EU leaders after vote to leave
David Cameron is to meet European Union leaders for the first time since the UK voted to leave.
The UK prime minister will discuss the implications of the Brexit vote and the way ahead at an EU summit in Brussels.

German, French and Italian leaders said on Monday there could be no "formal or informal" talks on a British exit at this stage.

Meanwhile, Chancellor George Osborne has ruled himself out of replacing Mr Cameron as prime minister.
He said in the Times that "it isn't in my nature to do things by half-measure, and I fought the referendum campaign with everything I've got. I believed in this cause and fought hard for it.
"So it is clear that while I completely accept the result, I am not the person to provide the unity my party needs at this time."

And Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has said the UK must remain within the EU's single market.
Mr Hunt, who is said to be considering standing for the leadership after Mr Cameron stands down, has floated the idea of a "Norway plus" arrangement outside the EU where the UK would enjoy the current trade benefits of being a full EU member while negotiating revised immigration rules.

By the way, we haven't had a lot of discussion about the imploding of the party top of Labour and the fact that they have a 'shadow parliament', which sounds like a villainous counterpart to the Justice League.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 27, 2016, 08:56:21 pm »

Shadow parliament's just a fancy term for the way the opposition is structured in some Commonwealth countries (they have it Australia as well, and I believe Canada?)

Personally, I think it's fantastic. Means every cabinet-level minister has someone whose job is to bitch about every thing they do and tell how they would have done it better.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 27, 2016, 08:59:45 pm »

I just imagine that there's a mirror-version of the Parliament in the basement, but painted black and full of sinister NWO types.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:13 pm »

... isn't that the normal parliament, though?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 27, 2016, 09:06:21 pm »

No, because the Shadow Parliament is painted Secret Black. You do know what Secret Black is, right?
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 27, 2016, 09:15:03 pm »

White?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 27, 2016, 09:19:40 pm »

I just imagine that there's a mirror-version of the Parliament in the basement, but painted black and full of sinister NWO types.
Actually its upside-down, and everyone uses velcro on their shoes to cling to the ceiling.

Really really strong velcro.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 27, 2016, 09:23:34 pm »

Won't lie, I would totally vote yes on a US constitutional amendment that mandated the minority party had to attend senate/house meetings strapped to the ceiling.

You would suddenly find a lot more much more motivated politicians, methinks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 27, 2016, 09:25:23 pm »

http://www.cnet.com/news/brexit-leave-campaign-wipes-website-amid-accusations-of-false-promises/
The pro-Brexit campaign has cleared its homepage of all the material it used to successfully make its case in the UK's European Union referendum.

The "Vote Leave" homepage -- previously with links to other pages on the site -- has been replaced by a static banner that thanks supporters for their hard work and votes, Guardian reporter Alice Ross spotted Monday. The material itself is still live but is not accessible from the homepage. If you want to find it, you'll have to be clever with your Google searches. An archived version of the site, which features all of the campaign material, also can still be seen online.

The particular claim about using the savings created by withdrawing from the EU to fund the UK's health system had been front and center of the Leave campaign, and it was most famously plastered across the official campaign bus. The claim also attracted negative attention over the weekend, as it became clear that the £350 million reclaimed from the EU would not in fact be spent on the National Health Service.

Nigel Farage, head of the UK Independence Party and a member of the European Parliament, and other leading members of the Leave campaign backtracked on the promise over the weekend, the Metro reported, as it became apparent that there was no official plan for Brexit.

The claim about NHS funding still appears as the banner head on the campaign's Twitter page.

The Leave campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/the-mail-has-explained-what-brexit-means-and-its-readers-seem-shocked--Z1772TI4aNW
'TAKE A BOW, BRITAIN', the front page of today's pro-Leave Daily Mail urges.

Inside, as well as hailing the referendum as 'the day the quiet people stood up and roared' and rubbishing the 'disaster' that was project fear, it also explores what Brexit means for its readers: the pound is worth less which means holidays cost more, Britons will lose the right to work, buy holiday homes, travel and study without restrictions in the EU and pensions have lost value. All in all, some things to worry its readers even if they share the paper's politics.

And in the comments online underneath the story, many of those readers seen dumbfounded, shocked and ever so slightly incredulous:
(it gets 'good' starting here)

Any day now everybody in the UK and the involved EU diplomancers are gonna announce that it was all an elaborate prank, that of course an event so momentous wouldn't go down like this, with every little thing going from shit to nuclear at every corner.

Any day now.

Let's go for something lighter to cleanse the palate.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/thousands-of-people-have-shared-this-mans-amazing-sweary-rant-about-brexit--bJX6UzisVb
Friday's going to be amazing! I'm going to wake up in my Union Jack jim-jams to the sound of a squadron of Spitfires racing overhead and leaving a trail of hot buttered crumpets behind them.

I'll run to the corner shop past all the British children who are laughing and squealing with excitement as they make a beautiful statue of the queen out of happy wriggling bulldog puppies - with two corgis for her eyebrows!

Bunting flutters everywhere and the man from the betting shop steps into the street - 'guess what! England just won the World Cup and The Ashes and The Grand National and here's the best bit - Boris put a bet on it for everyone! You're all MILLIONAIRES!!!'

The Red Arrows fly overhead dropping fish and chips as I walk into the corner shop, get my morning paper and go to the counter. 'How much please?' I say to the Asian lad there. 'One pence, everything in the whole shop now costs just 1p!' he laughs, leave it on the counter, I'm off back to Pakistan - we all are!'

And he's right! Outside in the streets jolly old Nigel Farage is leading a huge crowd of happy foreigners - Turks, Poles, Romanians, Syrians - there's even a few English people with heavy suntans mixed up in there! Nigel's playing Rule Britannia on a long pipe, rather like the pipe that takes the gas into your oven, and they're all following and smiling and talking foreign, bless them!

Just then Boris flies overhead in a concorde made of Bank of England gold - 'don't worry!' he laughs. 'I've cut out all the bits the French made!' and with that he crashes into the ground at 1200 miles an hour, along with the economy, the country and all the dozy nostalgic foreigner-fearing f--kwits who fell for his bulls--t.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:28:24 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:21 pm »

Actually its upside-down, and everyone uses velcro on their shoes to cling to the ceiling.

Really really strong velcro.
No, no....that's Aussie-rules Parliament.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: June 27, 2016, 10:42:55 pm »

I'll just remind everyone to keep context in mind when talking refugees. Scriver is anti-refugee, but he's from Sweden. Sweden granted 35.000 people refugee status, plus tens thousands of family reuinion with people that had refugee status. Per capita, it's like if the US was taking ~2.000.000 people in. And that's before the spike in refugee of 2015 has been processed. 163,000 people applied in 2015.

If historical trends follow, up to 70% of them might receive some kind of right to stay (I have no idea what "subsidiary protection" mean in this graph)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

70% of 163,000 is 114.000. That's the equivalent of the US taking in 3.7 millions people.

So yeah, I think that most western countries should be doing more to deal with refugee. But Sweden might be a rare exemple of a country doing too much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: June 27, 2016, 11:19:42 pm »

I would be totally okay with the US accepting 3.7 million.  I would start getting worried until the number was like 100 million.  What's the problem?  Not enough houses?  Not enough food?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 27, 2016, 11:29:05 pm »

RIP Reason
June 27th, 2016 7:30 PM EST - June 27th, 2016 8:00 PM EST

That would imply that reason ever existed on the internet.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107