Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151646 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Me disagreeing with you is not the same as me ignoring your points.
Voicing your disagreement and saying I'm wrong/full of shit/misrepresenting my arguments entirely - doing everything to make your opinion asserted but unbacked, is altogether quite strange. I don't understand why you are so inimical to my point that you would spam all caps refusing I even made the points in the first place, or else pretend I made the exact opposite point, but it does not seem to be with friendly intent :P

Heck, look at your most recent accusation. You said I've spent pages and pages spouting innuendo, despite linking to:
*The Telegraph detailing how the British fishing industry declined under Heath's leadership and the illegal merging of our fishing stocks, BBC news interviewing Scottish fishermen on the decline of the British fishing industry after introduction of the Common Fisheries policy resulted in hundreds of boats scrapped and quotas implemented to the benefit of Spanish and French trawlers, the Commentator on the drastic shrink of the UK's once dominant market share and geographicly fortunate control of fishing waters, the Council Regulation 2141/74 that gave all members equal rights to waters that was implemented before the UK joined which details how "Member States were in particular to ensure equal conditions of access to and use of the fishing grounds situated in those waters for all fishing vessels flying the flag of a Member State and registered in Community territory," and the nature graph using the gov stats which showed upon the allowance of all European fishing vessels into British waters, British landings plummeted.
#Link to that post#
And then constructively debated with Sheb over my points, with Sheb contesting that the decline was a natural result of fishing trawlers growing more powerful and overtaking the rate of spawn, with the EU having stabilized fishing rates, with myself pointing that under the quotas fishing rates had not stabilized - having already collapsed, and that my nature article did indeed prove that the EU quotas resulted in significant reductions in British landings as fish landed in into other countries.
#Link to that post#

*Here where I used the Telegraph, Guardian and the European Commission Maritime Affairs and Fisheries all corroborating the EU's apology and the need for reform of the disastrous EU policies which have led to the destruction of not just the UK's stocks, but most all of Europe's. The difference in decision making and effectiveness of environmental protection was highlighted by the Guardian when on the National level, the UK reduced discard by 50% by listening to their fishermen whilst the EU continued onwards with Spain and France's lobbies in mind, ordering from the top down instead of bottom up.
#Link to that post#

*Or here where SirQuiamus pointed out the question of domestic lobbies, and I pointed out a cursory glance at the article linked would reveal that they were run by Spanish fishing barons with links to illegal fishing and the destructive deep sea trawling that screwed Europe's waters up - even how said fishing barons took advantage of British fishing quotas and denied small-scale fishermen representation in Europe-wide political forums, thus showing how they were not domestic lobbies, but European ones.
#Link to that post#
In continuation I went further down this line of enquiry after SirQuiamus continued asking me in kind, and voiced my opinion that people employed to lobby MPs are not an issue when their employees are gotten rid of, given that without money lobbying cannot continue. But to answer the question that SirQuiamus intended to ask if the NFFO had not turned out to be Spaniards, I replied saying I agreed that Brexit would do nothing to stop truly domestic British trawlers from lobbying for more harmful overfishing, saying I did not expect Brexit to be a magic bullet that fixed all problems, only that I would rather confront the British lobby without having to also confront European lobbies in European governments where I have no power.
#Link to that post#
I don't recall ever saying Brexit would fix the domestic ills of Britain, and I do go out of my way to stress so repeatedly I might add - though my efforts seem often in vain.

*And here, where I broke down most all criticisms I had the time to levy on the EU in regards to fish.
On how we could not extend our EEZ beyond 12 nm due to membership of the EU or how our landings were sent to the Netherlands, France or Spain. Or how using statistics from the European Commission JRC-IPSC Maritime Affairs of the Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen, French and Spanish trawlers were unprofitable even with EU subsidies, yet they were given egregious sums of money and access to foreign waters whilst the profitable British fleet was paid to be scrapped or forced through quotas to stop fishing their own waters.
I pointed out with a BBC article how 1 in 3 of Spain's fish were paid for by subsidies, how the Government was so focused on short-term jobs that they guaranteed long-term disaster, and how in another BBC article we were more than capable of protecting dolphins and porpoises within our 12 nm radius, but in order to protect them beyond that we would have to require the agreement of Spain and France - which wasn't going to happen, because they were the ones we had to protect against.
I then pointed as to why in particular, pointing to how through a Guardian article, British attempts to save our fishing industry through the EU were by banning discarding were thwarted by Spain and France, and how the quotas were directly used for overfishing and not protecting stocks. I pointed to a BBC article where there were fears that the discarding ban would be diluted, to a fishsite which stated the ban was delayed by two years, and then to a reuters article where it was finally revealed that Spain and France had secured a loophole which rendered the discarding ban pointless. Meaning we would have to start the fight for discarding all over again - or regain our waters.
I then mentioned the British government had done something I was actually proud of, in defending the West African nations' coasts from plundering by Spanish and French trawlers, as reported by the Guardian. The leaked documents they published revealed that the UK may have succeeded in blocking legislature which would have allowed European trawlers to continue overfishing African waters, I then pointed to a European Parliament News article detailing the new EU-Mauritania fisheries deal, meaning the UK had only succeeded in stalling it for 4 years. I then made points about how it made no sense to subsidize harmful behaviour that produced no profit and didn't even serve lobbyist interests in the long term - being a lose-lose situation that the EU controlled, that the UK lost disastrously on.
#Link to that post#

Each of these points are expanded in fuller and greater detail in their original posts. You replied thus:
Spoiler: Strawmen (click to show/hide)

Which has demonstrated the utmost insincerity.

A brief breakdown of all the sources used in alphabetical order:
  • BBC [5]
  • Commentator [1]
  • European Union [4]
  • Fishsite [1]
  • Gov MMO/Nature [1] (not counting reposts)
  • Guardian [4]
  • Greenpeace [1], credit to SirQuiamus
  • Reuters [1]
  • Telegraph [2]
  • Time [1]

Yet you see the Daily Mail and BNP lol

You know, whatever this is, you do have to appreciate the irony in you as the white American male trying to invalidate others like that :P

As maniac once famously put it in the Ameripol thread, he's not here to teach anyone anything. If the salt level can come down a bit between the two of you (although mostly just maniac), he might decide it's worth actually providing some content to back his interpretation. But if you're expecting him to go point for point through your post to show where he believes your links are spurious, well, that rarely happens.
That's fine and all, but if one intends to do nothing but act salty and contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion, then they are doing nothing but inflame the thread and disrupt constructive discussion
And that's not good at all xD

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

Hmm. I don't really know what to make of the EU. Most of the policies that I've heard it spout, I mostly support.

It seems to be very deeply bashed by the conservatives in various governments, I know that Trump disdains it, and for that alone I am deeply suspicious of the motives of the people who want Britain to leave the EU.

That being said, the British government has done a lot of unscrupulous surveillance and been frightfully open about it. Then there's the fact that the British government doesn't have something like the OTA (Office of Technological Assessment), which means that the old people there don't know what caching is, but they've heard of armament caching, so they're against it, so they enacted a law which banned all forms of computers in use today. Actually, I don't know that they don't have it, I know we don't have it in the States any more.

The fact that the law is unenforceable doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. The fact that it exists means that, should idiots come into power with evil intent, they will be able to use it to hurt people arbitrarily. I don't know that they haven't gotten rid of it, since it was immediately apparent that enforcing it would destroy their economy irreparably. The fact that this was in response to some copyright slinging asshat who wanted them to make it illegal to store music that had been streamed in more than a transient fashion on a device is almost impressive in it's utter lack of efficacy in achieving that lobbyist's goal, in fact, had it been enforced, it would have utterly fucked their industry as well.

I see Britain leaving the EU as making it easier to reduce the influence of what appear to be largely sensible labor laws, though I've never actually gone over them in depth, so perhaps I shouldn't mention that.

I see this as being an attempt by some conservatives with some rather unpalatable goals to subvert a group that won't pander to them sufficiently to allow them to achieve their nonsense, the fact that it seems to have some support from the other side means that it may very well be a masterstroke for them in terms of political strategy.

Frankly, I'm glad that I don't have to learn what the facts are in this case, as it sounds like there is a lot of lumping things I'd be in favor for, with things that I would have a deep sense of fear about.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Jeeez, I'll need to go through your latest fishery posts again to show you where you're wrong. Will do that late, but just to be clear, you agree that your early point about the european boats getting access to the 12 nm of British territorial water being the cause of the collapse of the British industry is shite, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure he still thinks the EU is to blame as far back as the 70s and that it's the EU fault the UK gave dirty johny foreigner fishing rights.  Oh, but I haven't been understanding him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

See, if you'd claimed more than 12 nanometers of water, you might actually be able to find some fish.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

That's a stupid joke, and I like those. But in case anyone is confused, I'm using nautical miles of course.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

That's like, what, 20km? How is this a significant hit to fisheries?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

It's not, which is my point. Up until everyone started setting EEZ in 1970's, British ships were free to roam the sea and grab all the fishes. Then they could not.

Also, keep in mind that all the figures regarding Britain's EEZ that LW quoted are misleading, because a lot of Britishg Territories (like the Falklands) are not part of the EU, and their EEZ is not part of the EU quota system. Only the water around the British Isles and Gilbraltar count(about 10% of the total British EEZ).

Oh, and one more bogus claim from LW: The claim that the UK couldn't claim an EEZ due to the EU. Again, horsecrap, the EU claimed the 200 nm EEZ in 1975. The reason the UK didn't do it earlier (and would probably not have done it for a few years without the EU) is that they really wanted to access foreign fisheries and didn't like the EEZ concept. Remember, the Third Cod War was still being fought in 1975.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Let's take a break from arguments over fishing rights and Mainiac being Mainiac. It's the 22nd of June in Europe, so I suppose it's time for wild off-the-mark predictions of tomorrow's referendum.

I think it'll be just like the Scottish independence referendum: the most convenient result for the establishment, Remain, will win with about 55-60 percent of the vote, maybe up to 65.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I think it'll be a razor-thin remain victory. Less than 53%.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

65% is a landslide in this kind of vote. I'm guessing Remain with maybe a 1-2% margin. If it's Leave with a similar margin, I think Westminster might overturn it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

One day left. Sorry, must repost. It's too appropriate, especially with that band name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

EDIT: In other news, apparently a Brexit will harm Game of Thrones. It could make them lose access to favoured casting locations in Northern Ireland, which they now use by virtue of a European fund for regional development. They also cast a lot in Croatia, Spain and Malta, through the same EU funding project.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:13:34 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'll be 51% Remain, 51% Leave, 100% confused.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

It'll be 51% Remain, 51% Leave, 100% confused.
Alex Jones exposes globalist inability to perform simple addition.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

1% Leave, 2% Remain, 97% Join Russia.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 107