Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151555 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: British Brexit Thread: Hype replacement bus services in operation
« Reply #270 on: June 17, 2016, 11:26:39 am »

It's been a long time, prior to the Scottish Referendum, since the previous explcit ask... And it's interestiong what the question was then.

Most of time, it's just been general elections for people and/or parties who look like they've got the general shape of policies to match the population's will across a whole lot of issues.  (Not that it always goes that way.  See the Poll Tax, various military interventions, matters of bailouts and austerity, etc.)  An imperfect situation, but potentially less disruptive than micromanagement on nearly every policy issue.  And, like with this one, I can only imagine the fuss and conflict (even aetting aside the recent event) that this would entail on actually important issues.

Also, there'd be less and less need for politicians, save as fluidly aligning 'team captains' for the many and varied issues needing asking.  The job could be done by celebrities, officially!  Hey, that's a good idea.  Let's do that!

"I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Europe" / "Big Borders" / "Hole In The UK" /etc, etc, etc...  ;)

@Antioch: Like UKIP. No, wait, they didn't.  Like the Tories... No wait, their voters voted (apparently) to be asked the question. Except that that wasn't even an intentional focus of their campaign, just something to stop wavering-towards-UKIP voters from evaporating off and making their anticipated coalition (which would quietly drop such vapid promises, during discussions, most likely) harder to achieve.

Politics, pah!  Vetinari for Patrician!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2016, 11:29:26 am »

Incidentally, since Scottish Referendum has been mentioned, what does SNP think about Brexit?
._.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2016, 11:36:13 am »

Incidentally, since Scottish Referendum has been mentioned, what does SNP think about Brexit?

They're opposed to Brexit.

The official line is that while the SNP wants out of the UK and would sort of like a Brexit vote because it introduces the chance for a new Independence referendum they would rather the whole UK stays in the EU because they think that it's the best situation for everyone involved whether or not Scotland is independent.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 17, 2016, 11:43:24 am »

Despite the official position, I'm certain that there are a fair few SNP voters who will support the Breadsit for Just As Planned reasons.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 17, 2016, 12:01:22 pm »

Despite the official position, I'm certain that there are a fair few SNP voters who will support the Breadsit for Just As Planned reasons.

Probably, there's also going to be some who want to be out of the UK and the EU.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 17, 2016, 12:01:38 pm »

Yeah, I agree. Brexit is Scotland's second chance for a referendum, and I'm guessing the number of Scottish Labour supporters who will vote "stay" a second time shrank faster than my balls after a dip in the North Sea.

Would be rather amusing to see hard borders suddenly spring up around N. Ireland and across Hadrian's Wall. A Brexited England-Wales-Ulster fenced in by Europe.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2016, 01:33:35 pm »

Yeah, I agree. Brexit is Scotland's second chance for a referendum, and I'm guessing the number of Scottish Labour supporters who will vote "stay" a second time shrank faster than my balls after a dip in the North Sea.

Would be rather amusing to see hard borders suddenly spring up around N. Ireland and across Hadrian's Wall. A Brexited England-Wales-Ulster fenced in by Europe.

Do not be surprised to see NI and Wales push for a UK break up if Scotland secede post Brexit. Both nations get a LOT of EU cash, and will be hit hardest by an enforced leaving.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #277 on: June 17, 2016, 05:19:14 pm »

I am altogether too late for my own thread, but please keep the assassination to the EU jokes thread or the gun control thread, or give it its own thread - this is not Britpol thread, this is Brit Brexit thread. At least you guys kept the assassination related to the referendum, but make sure to stay away from popcorn.gif type comments that provide no substance or content and just serve to add tinder to the powder keg (avoid flame wars people).

This is one of the reasons why I find an indirect democracy a superior system to a direct one.
Brexit could have been easily handled by the normal party politics, if people want a Brexit they could have just voted for parties that support that idea.
The last time we tried handling Brexit through party politics, the Conservatives changed their party selection rules so they could sanction MPs who disobeyed the Conservative Central Office, and could vet all MPs before they were elected. Without this referendum, Brexit MPs would be eliminated one by one again - now, Cameron will be eliminated.

one thing I don't get is why is this always put in the hand of the people to decide?
Because the decision is on how they are to be ruled; by public servants or academic elite.

like you and me without any theoretical macro/micro economic and geopolitics background would know what's the best option, long and short term.
Some of us do, but that's besides the point. I disagree with the notion that people are too uneducated to rule over themselves, in our golden age tradesmen walked the House of Commons, whilst Oxbridge careerists put their personal political careers ahead of their own nation. Part of the reason why I'm particularly interested in any method or any mechanism which broadens the range of our MPs is for this reason, it is rather amusing right now how much it is the case where the one who controls Oxbridge controls Britain 4 decades down the line.

Oh, and back on track to the referendum:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These caught my eye as encapsulating the best of both Brexit and Brexin. Pictured left, "Out [Union Butterfly emerging from EU box] and into the world", and pictured right, "Divided we fall [the EU flag and UK flag tied together, holding each other up] The Future of Britain and Europe"
One of the Left I think is the Spectator and one on the right is the Economist, or maybe the other way around - I was buying milk at 9PM so forgive my memory there. Sometimes you've got to step back and appreciate the master craftwork of those with time, money, effort and passion for their medium, and though you should never judge books by their covers, those covers tell you most all everything their arguments hinge on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 17, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »

All we need now is for Charles to finally snap and start sacrificing the royal family to ascend past his mother, and the pre-referendum clusterfuck will be complete.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2016, 05:35:46 pm »

Crossposting from EU thread because I don't know if anyone here reads that one too
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well now, Rashid pretty much summed up the general stuff of everything I ever say
Usually someone in my boots would say something like Rashid is my spirit guide or something, but I wouldn't, he is just a columnist for a newspaper that got my views down rather succinctly. The feeling nonetheless is of that wavelength

All we need now is for Charles to finally snap and start sacrificing the royal family to ascend past his mother, and the pre-referendum clusterfuck will be complete.
Charles wouldn't snap, that's a part of his master plan

*EDIT
Oh, don't forget that on Wednesday (the day before polling stations open), Jeremy Paxman will be doing a last-day question time debate thing. As usual, David Cameron chickened out again and will be doing a separate question time, not actually being in the same room or episode as Michael Gove, which is thoroughly disappointing given its last date status.

The Prime Minister is determined to avoid "blue-on-blue" public conflict at all costs, saying it risked turning the debate into a "Tory psychodrama".
Cheeky monkey :P
Jeremy Paxman is noted for being the most savage and impartial newshost, though of course the only thing he has never been questioned on is his savage professionalism - his impartiality has been questioned always. Still, he manages to piss off every camp involved every time, a good example being his article critical of the EU being pulled by the BBC, his documentary of what goes down in Brussels causing a storm in the Brexin camp when they accused the Beeb of pro-UK bias (lol), and Brexit don't like that he believes Britons will vote EU because they now live European lifestyles and not British ones. When you've pissed everyone off, eh, keep on going on.

That is an interesting thing to note, in that the whites of the Metropolitan areas of the UK are all almost entirely pro-EU and they do live distinctly European lifestyles. They will have enjoyed visa free travel to Europe, holidays in Europe, their children will have through Erasmus studied and grown up both in the UK and Europe, and many of them will speak English and a European language, having been required to study a language like French, German or Spanish for their curriculum. Contrast that with the Welsh or the Coast where their identities are distinctly British, of the historic British identity, or amongst ethnic groups that have their roots in countries of the Commonwealth and not in Europe, leading to that most funny situation where Indians, Nigerians and Malayans agree with the Welsh and the English more than the Welsh and the English agree with the Cosmopolitan Whites and the Scots. A most awkward collision of civilizations ;]

These caught my eye as encapsulating the best of both Brexit and Brexin.
Breaking my promise to myself not to get involved in this any more because I totally agree with you!
The first significant examples of non-negative campaigning that I've seen.  It's not the official camps, but one can only hope the tendency infects them too.  Perhaps this unfortunate pause might give a turning point, to that end.
Sadly I think it may be too late. Besides my Brexin serial killer leaflet I got a Brexit leaflet which brings up the migration numbers and includes a map on the back which highlights Syria and Iraq, insinuating that future migrants will come from the ME. I also got a Libdem "pledge" which wants me to pledge a vote for the EU, except they use the language of fear from the pro-EU perspective saying if I don't vote for the EU then there's a real chance Brexit will win, I'm pondering whether I should take the time to use their freepost to apologize and inform them of my actual voting intention. Poor lolberal dems, I like them very much, but they consistently make such blunders :[

I suppose this is the issue with how both campaigns have decided that convincing voters is not as cost effective as mobilizing your camp's voters and demoralizing/obstructing the opposing camp's voters, for this reason the magazines get the amazing, positive arguments whilst the official campaigns are either focused on making you scared of the other camp so you ignore them or so scared of them that you must vote for your allotted demographic's camp. I'm thinking if there's a way to change that, it'll probably not be 6 days before polling day - but in future, I think it would be neat to get think tanks to change their mind on positive campaigning. Once you get the think tanks, you get the politicians, and then it filters through media and social media then into the population at large. At that point all you'd have to worry about is a Tony Blair walking around wielding all the positive energy like a neutron bomb ;P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:09:56 pm by Loud Whispers »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 17, 2016, 05:43:53 pm »

He will when he finally understands that Lizzy the Rock is really, actually immortal. All that waiting, preparing for the icy hand of death, all for nothing.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2016, 05:51:16 pm »

These caught my eye as encapsulating the best of both Brexit and Brexin.
Breaking my promise to myself not to get involved in this any more because I totally agree with you!

The first significant examples of non-negative campaigning that I've seen.  It's not the official camps, but one can only hope the tendency infects them too.  Perhaps this unfortunate pause might give a turning point, to that end.

(Largely unrelated news, it seems tonight's first episode of the new series of Dead Ringers (topical impressions/sketch show, Radio 4) was replaced by a revived and reperformed Hancock episode.  Understandable, given the unfortunate over-topicality of the name. Probably won't get broadcast, assumng it was even recorded last night as it should mormally have been, but means their new first episode will be recorded/first-broadcast in the time-period spanning both poll-closing and result-giving.  I wonder what they'll do.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2016, 04:07:05 am »

That doesn't seem very disingenuous given that the EU is fining countries that won't take their prescribed number of 'refugees', though. Also, you seem to be implying that if we were to leave then the drop in EU-migrants would be replaced by migrants from elsewhere, rather than total immigration actually dropping - or am I misinterpreting you?

Well, you ignore that you say 'The EU is fining countries' when what happened is 'Juncker proposed fining' and nothing else came out of that, and also that the UK is not concerned by any of those scheme. So yeah, it's pretty disingenious.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2016, 04:55:16 am »

Spoiler: Warning: polandball (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2016, 11:03:14 am »

Jo Cox's murderer gave his name in court as "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain".

Also, CNN go that awesome quote:

In a nation with tightly controlled gun laws and few homicides linked to weapons, Cox's attack was especially jarring.

I guess Brits just use their teeth for most of their homicides?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 107