Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151445 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: British Brexit Thread: Eyes on the prize, Yog-Merkel in the skies
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2016, 10:52:41 pm »

How are the votes cast, by the way? Post, ballot box?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2016, 11:06:35 pm »

To me, though, it just sounds more like the whining of sour grapes.  (Before we even know who has won and lost, before we even know the margin. Get your retaliation in early!)  There'd have been equivalent noises had the chosen resolution been the disenfranchising one.

And imagine the situation if the server had been reopened for just two hours, the next day or the day after that.  'Fair', but impractical.  (Had I been still trying to register, I would not have known I could have, the following day, so it would have had to have been a 48-hour displacement replacement to benefit me.)

But it's obvious you prefer valid voters to have had no vote, rather than risking them actually hearing something that convinces them.

I don't know why you're even worried.  Currently active in this thread appear to be two avowed Brexiters (you and LW), one "probably won't vote" (me) and someone (Wolfhunter) who I don't know how they're aligned or if they're even ellegible, without searching posts for more clues, but couldn't outvote you two anyway. Or maybe just me and Wolfhunter are yet ready to call you out on what I call nonsensical and counter-democratic attitudes, but seemingly you have the exact opposite opinion.

OW: Standard ballotbox-at-polling station, unless I've missed something saying otherwise, as per standard national and local elections.  With the standard option of applying for postal/proxy voting options if you think you need them (but I think the deadline applying for postal-vote application is about now).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2016, 06:38:31 am »

To me, though, it just sounds more like the whining of sour grapes.  (Before we even know who has won and lost, before we even know the margin. Get your retaliation in early!)  There'd have been equivalent noises had the chosen resolution been the disenfranchising one.
Then you should examine your biases, to use the phrase of someone earlier ITT. If you genuinely don't see how two days of completely unopposed campaigning with the spine of state media from an action that was illegal whilst they were doing it (until they made it retroactively legal) then there's nothing more to be said.

And imagine the situation if the server had been reopened for just two hours, the next day or the day after that.  'Fair', but impractical.  (Had I been still trying to register, I would not have known I could have, the following day, so it would have had to have been a 48-hour displacement replacement to benefit me.)
But it's obvious you prefer valid voters to have had no vote, rather than risking them actually hearing something that convinces them.
But of course, the issue is that the only thing they would have been hearing is pro-EU campaigns. Given that, you know, Brexit simply could not have planned to operate their campaign outside of legal limits, whilst Brexin laughs all over campaign limits.

I don't know why you're even worried.
I've helped labour peeps get registered knowing they'd vote EU, if you don't understand why I'm concerned with the state of our referendum then perhaps that goes to some length explaining why we are so completely separate in our opinions on the EU and democracy. To condense the paragraph I think you've missed thrice:
  • When in the first five months to Referendum, Brexit MPs must be pro-EU for the first month, that is the first edge. Brexit campaigns had to begin later than the first state and private support for Bremain.
  • Campaigns should have equal spending limits. Cameron outspent the Brexit campaign's entire budget in one day using British taxes without using up any of Brexin's limit. The most glaringly obvious and ridiculous.
  • Campaigns should end on the same day, when voting registration ends. Obviously when one side can change the law whenever it suits them and their campaign continues for two more days with media and state media blitz unopposed - gg. Brexit couldn't even get a mandem on TV to get Brexit voters to register, and why the hell would they? Registration legally had to end then. Lol
Currently active in this thread appear to be two avowed Brexiters (you and LW), one "probably won't vote" (me) and someone (Wolfhunter) who I don't know how they're aligned or if they're even ellegible, without searching posts for more clues, but couldn't outvote you two anyway.
This thread is for discussion, not campaigning. You'll find there are many more Europeans and Americans in the lower board who can't vote here, but are interested in whatever the fuck is going on here xD

Or maybe just me and Wolfhunter are yet ready to call you out on what I call nonsensical and counter-democratic attitudes, but seemingly you have the exact opposite opinion.
What's nonsensical? You keep throwing around a lot of attacks on character without substance to back it up, and that's rather rude considering you're the lizard man conspiracy theorist :P
The stakes ITT are low, we do not need to proselytize for the causes we support. My goal for this thread is news, opinions of forumites and analyses. Likewise with counter-democratic, you level this great accusation, so where is your basis? One would think that those who are counter-democratic would be working in the EU, given that the whole point of it all is bureaucrats beholden to no electorates. Though I do like their experiments with democracy
Spoiler: wew lads information (click to show/hide)
Remember, if you don't like the result, make them vote again - that's democratic xD
Or maybe you're just a Hameron and you want to game the vote - that's still democratic lol

How are the votes cast, by the way? Post, ballot box?
Postal vote and ballot box. Or vote by proxy, which is just someone else posting your vote for you

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2016, 07:41:49 am »

If you genuinely don't see how two days of completely unopposed campaigning
Really? I can't speak for the first day (because I had taken a break and disconnected enough from the news to not know there had even been an extension) but when I then popped my head back into the newspapers and paid attention to the other media, the day after, it seemed just as clogged up by both sides' voices as before. Neither saying anything original, but maybe that's my disconfirmation error, from here on the fence I enjoy sitting on.

(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect rather than having me spend more time further breaking my resolution to stop banging my head against your brick wall.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2016, 10:05:24 am »

Yeah, I really don't get how you're so upset for those two extra days.

A) Not extanding the deadline at all would have removed the vote from a bunch of people.
B) The Leave Campaign wasn't banned from adversitising or anything during those two days.
C) As far as I know, the extension wasn't coordinated with the Remain campaign, so there is no reason why the remain campaign should have had an easier time advertising during those two days than the leave campaign.
D) Of course two days is longer than two hours. But do you seriously think extanding the deadline by two hours would have been remotely fair?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2016, 11:32:04 am »

Why do you need to register in the first place? Here in the Netherlands you are automatically registered if you are a eligible to vote.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2016, 11:37:14 am »

Really? I can't speak for the first day (because I had taken a break and disconnected enough from the news to not know there had even been an extension) but when I then popped my head back into the newspapers and paid attention to the other media, the day after, it seemed just as clogged up by both sides' voices as before. Neither saying anything original, but maybe that's my disconfirmation error, from here on the fence I enjoy sitting on.
(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect rather than having me spend more time further breaking my resolution to stop banging my head against your brick wall.)
You've confused news media with campaigning. Can you attempt to read what I post. I am having to ask this too frequently. If you wish to talk news media, it is altogether clear where they stand. Murdoch Press is mostly pro-UK, mostly, the Times is ambivalent having many contributions from pro-EU and UK writers. Rothschild press is pro-EU. Barclay brothers press is pro-UK. GMG is pro-EU. Notably Liz Forgan, current head of GMG was also the former director of programs at Ch4 and managing director of Beeb radio, Ch4 and Beeb doing the registration blitz :P On that note, Department for Culture, Media and Sport, pro-EU. The Beeb News director is a former employee of the European Commission, and was integral to Neil Kinnock's campaign to get young voters to ignore everything the Brexit campaign says and register to vote to avoid a Brexit victory by default. Kinnock conveniently, is also a former European Commissioner. It is rather annoying that there is no debate, just two camps speaking to themselves - this is why who wins is who mobilizes the most voters and why two days where one side is the only one mobilizing voters is so powerful. Once those two days are over, the Brexin camp will have mobilized all the voters it can, whilst the Brexit camp must compete with all the ones it has. I don't know how that'll play out, but as I said I care most about the principle.

Yeah, I really don't get how you're so upset for those two extra days.
A) Not extanding the deadline at all would have removed the vote from a bunch of people.
B) The Leave Campaign wasn't banned from adversitising or anything during those two days.
C) As far as I know, the extension wasn't coordinated with the Remain campaign, so there is no reason why the remain campaign should have had an easier time advertising during those two days than the leave campaign.
D) Of course two days is longer than two hours. But do you seriously think extanding the deadline by two hours would have been remotely fair?
A) Not a lot, and I know for certain that the Tories aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts because they fought the SNP and LD on extending franchisement to an even younger bracket exactly to maximize their victories. It's literally the same people.
B) It wasn't banned, it was just impossible. They were operating under the acknowledgement that that was when registration ended, thus they stopped pushing for Brexit voters to register when the deadline ended. No one would even consider a registration extension to be possible, because that would be illegal, so how do you plan for something like that? You can't, and good luck getting on the Beeb to get one of your people on last minute before the new deadline ends, or convincing the Electoral Commission to increase your advertising allowance - remember, it's ok when Cameron uses state mechanisms to run the EU campaign, as he said the state is pro-EU and what the state does is not a part of the Brexin campaign, thus not bound by any Electoral Commission limits.
C) As far as you know, I know otherwise. I do like their social media blitz for example, which by pure coincidence targeted exclusively the demographic the Brexin camp strategized to mobilize for the bulk of their support - after Cameron enlisted tech firms to do just that. See, the problem for Cameron is that he needs to mobilize Brexin voters - but he also needs to ensure as few Brexit voters register as possible. Thus targeted campaigns and exclusion will improve his chances of victory without ever needing to actually risk a challenge with Brexit. Just as his TV debate with one of the Leave Campaigners didn't actually involve either of them being in the room at the same time. LOL
Not even Tinder was safe, every facet of social media for the most important Brexin demographic was targeted. I even got free hot chocolate just for confirming I was on the electoral roll with my local Brexin volunteers, tasted delicious I might add (because the Conservatives had changed how the electoral register was kept. Libdems and Labour suspected this was to remove as many young voters from the register as possible, as young voters tended to favour Labour and Libdems over Tories. Rather ironic now that they are the crux of their campaign).
D) If they had worked this through with the Leave.EU camp to get as many voters registered in the last two days, I doubt many people would take issue, as that would be fair. They didn't, because that's not the point - they wanted to mobilize as many Brexin voters without ruining their chances by getting as many Brexit voters registered, so the Brexin camp unilaterally changed the law in accordance with their Campaign strategy and media blitz to get as many Brexin voters registered in an environment where Brexit cannot speak (that Kinnock had a campaign literally saying young people should ignore everything Brexit says is rather symbolic). They weren't just registering voters out of a respect for democracy, they had done all they could to only get Brexin voters registered.

Why do you need to register in the first place? Here in the Netherlands you are automatically registered if you are a eligible to vote.
Tories changed it from being you were registered by household, to registered by individual. Official reason is they wanted to cut down on voting fraud, their opposition says it was to remove their opposition's voters in time for election. Obviously now that they've won the general election in a landslide, they need those young voters registered again lol

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2016, 12:25:17 pm »

A) Not a lot, and I know for certain that the Tories aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts because they fought the SNP and LD on extending franchisement to an even younger bracket exactly to maximize their victories. It's literally the same people.

It's different when people are supposed to be able to register and then are prevented by a bug. In any case, the government would have been sued to hell and back otherwise.

C) As far as you know, I know otherwise. I do like their social media blitz for example, which by pure coincidence targeted exclusively the demographic the Brexin camp strategized to mobilize for the bulk of their support - after Cameron enlisted tech firms to do just that. See, the problem for Cameron is that he needs to mobilize Brexin voters - but he also needs to ensure as few Brexit voters register as possible. Thus targeted campaigns and exclusion will improve his chances of victory without ever needing to actually risk a challenge with Brexit. Just as his TV debate with one of the Leave Campaigners didn't actually involve either of them being in the room at the same time. LOL
Not even Tinder was safe, every facet of social media for the most important Brexin demographic was targeted. I even got free hot chocolate just for confirming I was on the electoral roll with my local Brexin volunteers, tasted delicious I might add (because the Conservatives had changed how the electoral register was kept. Libdems and Labour suspected this was to remove as many young voters from the register as possible, as young voters tended to favour Labour and Libdems over Tories. Rather ironic now that they are the crux of their campaign).

You're ignoring my point. My point is not that the Brexin campaign was targeting Brexin voters (which are evident). My point is that if the government did not coordinate the deadline extension with the Brexin guys, then the argument that the Brexit campaign couldn't campaign because it couldn't know the deadline would be extended is horsecrap, as the Brexin would be in the same situation. Also, none of those links are specifically about the 7-9 June period, and that imgur picture look fake as shit.

[/spoiler]

So a graph of registration until the 7 is a proof that their dastardly moving of the deadline until after the 7th was successful?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2016, 12:50:22 pm »

Yeah, that graph doesn't seem very relevant...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2016, 12:52:51 pm »

It's different when people are supposed to be able to register and then are prevented by a bug. In any case, the government would have been sued to hell and back otherwise.
Why? No one was sued over the London elections and the result has stuck

You're ignoring my point. My point is not that the Brexin campaign was targeting Brexin voters (which are evident). My point is that if the government did not coordinate the deadline extension with the Brexin guys, then the argument that the Brexit campaign couldn't campaign because it couldn't know the deadline would be extended is horsecrap, as the Brexin would be in the same situation. Also, none of those links are specifically about the 7-9 June period, and that imgur picture look fake as shit.
Brexin is not in the same situation. It may come as a surprise to you, but the State department of culture, media and sport, is run by the state, and it would be impossible for David Cameron to not inform David Cameron of David Cameron's campaign decisions versus David Cameron's registration extension decisions, as David Cameron is not a separate person to David Cameron, they are the same person. If you're calling it horseshit how do you rebut the articles?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So a graph of registration until the 7 is a proof that their dastardly moving of the deadline until after the 7th was successful?
No, because that data has not been collected. This is what I took from the BBC covering the registration up until then, showing the success of their campaigning strategy. Sheb, it is particularly irksome because you have done such things before, editing out my sentences just to ask me for an answer you already had in those missing sentences. I appreciate there are language issues though, but a little more effort goes a long way - and I know you did it on purpose, because you edited out the spoiler tag which explained the graph, and you only edited the spoiler tag out, leaving the end spoiler tag and quote tag.

[spoiler=The numbers speak for the strategy's success] <- Why would you edit this out and ask me for the graph's meaning?

*EDIT
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that on the topic of media bias, the Independent doesn't fit into any of the presses I mentioned. It was pretty on the fence about things, giving space to both sides for a hell of a long time, but after it got sold out to Alexander Lebedev it went full-EU, leading to the funny situation where the Independent doesn't like independence :[D
Forbes deserves an honourable mention, because even though they are an American outlet and not a British one, it has a global readership. They're actually fairly impartial on the issue, focusing not on political sides but risk analysis and such. Consider this article. The dude writing it doesn't really give his opinion much, just saying what he thinks is important, and what he thinks needs to be done, or else what outcomes actions or inactions will have. There are loads more local ones like off the top of my head Metro and LES and the great plethora of regional presses that is too long to list, but the general rule is that if they're in the countryside, they're prolly Eurosceptic the closer to coast or wales you get, and if you're in a Uni town or Metropolitan area then it's Europhile. There are occasional exceptions or nuances, like the LES which is pro-EU but scathingly criticizes it and hates Cameron lol
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:06:11 pm by Loud Whispers »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2016, 01:07:45 pm »

(Glutton for punishment, I slowly replied to the message three ninjas ago whislt on a moving train.)

Campaigning continues.  Media continues to report on campaigning.  You continue to suggest that people should be prevented from voting, rather than do anything positive to turn voters your way.

"the Brexin camp will have mobilized all the voters it can, whilst the Brexit camp must compete with all the ones it has." I want everyone to be able to vote, to be more representative, or protest by officially abstaining if they still aren't drawn either way.  If there are people who are persuaded/persuadable for Brexin, then let them vote their conviction and let Brexit use their airtime wisely in getting them to their side. Denying votes is the worst offence in a democracy.  Misleading voters is a tradition and an expectation.

"I know for certain that the Tories aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts"...and that includes Leave-aligned Tories. (John Major is the most likely Tory PM in decades to possess a heart. Their own, that is, rather than their collection of them in jars on a shelf in No. 10, above the spleen-shelf...)

"they stopped pushing for Brexit voters to register when the deadline ended" irrelevent, because 'they had recruited all they could', according to something I saw said very recently, and they still should be trying to change minds, if they can.  And if they can't then they don't get to say that they represent public opinion.

(That graph doesn't say anything to me...  Not your message, anyway.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2016, 01:56:33 pm »

Campaigning continues.  Media continues to report on campaigning.  You continue to suggest that people should be prevented from voting, rather than do anything positive to turn voters your way.
Campaigning was only possible for one side, media as a fractious battleground, the ability to turn voters any way was a possibility excluded by a camp that sought only the right voters getting registered.

"the Brexin camp will have mobilized all the voters it can, whilst the Brexit camp must compete with all the ones it has." I want everyone to be able to vote, to be more representative, or protest by officially abstaining if they still aren't drawn either way.  If there are people who are persuaded/persuadable for Brexin, then let them vote their conviction and let Brexit use their airtime wisely in getting them to their side. Denying votes is the worst offence in a democracy.
If you read my post you'll see that is the issue.

Misleading voters is a tradition and an expectation.
What in the actual fuck?!!

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Re: British Brexit Thread: Hype replacement bus services in operation
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »

Maybe the EU just needs a new flag.
In all seriousness, "Brexin" and "Brexit" are the catchiest terms for a significant and influential political event I've heard.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2016, 03:56:33 pm »

[spoiler=The numbers speak for the strategy's success] <- Why would you edit this out and ask me for the graph's meaning?

Well, it's not clear what strategy you meant. I though you implied the strategy of letting people register for two more days, since we were discussing that subject. In that context, looking at data from before is meaningless.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: British Brexit Thread: Hype replacement bus services in operation
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2016, 04:25:37 pm »

LW, campaigning is not impossible for the Leavers unless they have nothing more useful to say. Which puts them on a par with Reain, so no worries there.

And you.don't, either."If you read my posts..." doesn't help one bit.  When I read them, all I see is someone who wants to take his ball and go home..  You're happy for Leave to benefit from their naturally-inclined (apparently) promptly-registered Leavers then damn the rest, while things are skewed your way.  And then complain that efforts to make a more representative voting pool just *isn't fair*..

I'm used to politicians making disingenuous and self-serving misreresentations of everything.  I do hope you enjoy your future political career.  You'll probably go far.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 107