Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151438 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: British Brexit Thread: Eyes on the prize, Yog-Merkel in the skies
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »

What's more likely is that those already convinced of a position did not dally until the last moment.  Those already convinced are more likely to be fired-up Brexiteers who haven't been wavering even from regiatration, and thus last-minute registrations are from a pool pre-depleted of Leavers.
I have no idea what you're trying to say lol
Not sure what you don't understand, sef.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2016, 09:49:46 am »

The issue right now is privatization of the NHS which could result in health4profit fucking up the system we all tolerate with the EU's TTIP, which Cameron isn't fighting really hard at all to stop (because he probably wants the deal to pass so he could privatize the NHS without having to consult the electorate and not get torn apart).
So, usa-style healthcare? Oh dear.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »

What's more likely is that those already convinced of a position did not dally until the last moment.  Those already convinced are more likely to be fired-up Brexiteers who haven't been wavering even from regiatration, and thus last-minute registrations are from a pool pre-depleted of Leavers.
I have no idea what you're trying to say lol
Not sure what you don't understand, sef.
The assumption that unregistered voters are a resource that is enriched and depleted, with Brexit voters having their shit sorted and Brexin voters being lazy shits - this is a whole lot of assumptions, versus the proven claim that the current Tory cabinet knows how to move voters in their favour. They're the ones who stopped the LibDems attempt to franchise more LibDem voters and then again with the SNP, ensuring victory over both - literally being the same people :P

The issue right now is privatization of the NHS which could result in health4profit fucking up the system we all tolerate with the EU's TTIP, which Cameron isn't fighting really hard at all to stop (because he probably wants the deal to pass so he could privatize the NHS without having to consult the electorate and not get torn apart).
So, usa-style healthcare? Oh dear.
Pretty much, most of our hospitals would be bought by Murricans too who are currently reluctant to compete with the NHS. Obviously no NHS means no state competition

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2016, 04:21:49 am »

I think the Remain Camp should use the nuclear option, and start using the same sweater Maggie 'The Witch' Thatcher was using.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2016, 04:48:34 am »

Filter or no, that is most certainly not the approved Imperial Hexadecimal Value.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2016, 05:54:18 am »

Oh my god are you really going on about "EVIL GOVERNMENT EXTENDED VOTING TIMES!!!", LW?

Basically the entire house of commons was in favor so they did it immediately because nobody wants people to be disenfranchised on this one except those who are real nervous about losing.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2016, 02:41:55 pm »

So, a chum of mine suggested that the ongoing European football championships could influence the In/Out vote...

According to him, should England do well in the tournament, people would be more well disposed to Europe, and more will vote In. Should they do bad, people will not like Europe, and will vote Out. The same could apply to Wales/NI, but to a lesser extent because less people.

This idea was inspired by a mild amount of alcohol, but it does make me giggle.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2016, 02:51:59 pm »

Wouldn't it be the opposite? If England get trounced, it would be a proof that its too weak to make it alone. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2016, 04:06:37 pm »

I thought Jim Henson died quite a few years ago.
But apparently he rose from the grave to make one more kermit costume for a special person's birthday.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2016, 04:14:26 pm »

Fuck me, that is the greenest thing ever.

This is a blank sig.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2016, 04:18:04 pm »

It's probably just the queen using some oldschool sublimal messaging to influence the brexit referendum.

Yurop YES or NO?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2016, 04:18:16 pm »

Fuck me, that is the greenest thing ever.

<3 Purest green!

I think the Queen of England just invaded the eyeballs of millions of people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2016, 05:42:33 pm »

I don't know if that's sarcastic or not, but the vast, vast majority of people in the UK would be strongly opposed to USA-style healthcare. One of the few things we're united on as a country is our pride in the NHS. Any party that openly espoused policies of reducing or privatizing the NHS would have no chance of making any gains.
Any party that openly espoused privatisation would get murdered
I'm not sure on what level of literalness that'd be

Oh my god are you really going on about "EVIL GOVERNMENT EXTENDED VOTING TIMES!!!", LW?
No, perhaps you can take your finger off the shift key and read what I say rather than how I say it makes you feel lol

Basically the entire house of commons was in favor so they did it immediately because nobody wants people to be disenfranchised on this one except those who are real nervous about losing.
"Basically", nope lol

So, a chum of mine suggested that the ongoing European football championships could influence the In/Out vote...
According to him, should England do well in the tournament, people would be more well disposed to Europe, and more will vote In. Should they do bad, people will not like Europe, and will vote Out. The same could apply to Wales/NI, but to a lesser extent because less people.
This idea was inspired by a mild amount of alcohol, but it does make me giggle.
It's probably going to influence the vote, but there's no prophet dead or alive who could figure out how that'd work

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry that I didn't closely examine all 800 words of one-sided jingoistic rage, in order to extract the hidden meaning beyond "Our government is evilly breaking the law for its evil agenda", LW.

Off the record, one senior Conservative said: "We all know what they are up to - there will be a big social media push by Remain to get young people to register tomorrow."

Remember, people. For a fair and representative vote on the most important issue the UK public has ever voted on, we need to disenfranchise the young who are least likely to be ready and pre-registered  and who will live the consequences  the longest.

And if you try and say " we can just ignore those few who waited to the last minute, screw them", consider that on the last day of registry there were over 500,000 registrations, >300,000 of them being 34 or less.

Sorry for getting pissy and jumping down your throat but I have literally just discovered in this moment of anger what maniac must feel like all the time.

Dorf out.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2016, 07:53:26 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry that I didn't closely examine all 800 words of one-sided jingoistic rage, in order to extract the hidden meaning beyond "Our government is evilly breaking the law for its evil agenda", LW.
Jingoistic rage is a new one, seriously did you even make an attempt to read anything I said before commenting? Try to at least keep things above youtube comment quality, I'll settle for Ken Yahoo quality if needs be

Off the record, one senior Conservative said: "We all know what they are up to - there will be a big social media push by Remain to get young people to register tomorrow."
Remember, people. For a fair and representative vote on the most important issue the UK public has ever voted on
*Currently, we have voted on more pressing issues before

we need to disenfranchise the young who are least likely to be ready and pre-registered  and who will live the consequences  the longest.
And if you try and say " we can just ignore those few who waited to the last minute, screw them", consider that on the last day of registry there were over 500,000 registrations, >300,000 of them being 34 or less.
Britons have been asking for this referendum for 45 years. The referendum is pledged by Cameron in 2013. 7th of May 2015, General Election takes place. May 27 2015, the Referendum becomes certain after the Tories win and Cameron is forced to hold his promise. 5th of January, Campaigning officially begins. 20th of February, the Referendum date is announced to take place. 5th of May 2016, regional elections take place.
What was holding any of these people from registering any time before? There were drives in every Uni to get students registered, Councillors were going door to door to make sure people were aware whether they were on the electoral register or not, there were several years in which everyone was campaigning and months still when everyone and everything was focused on the EU referendum.
And you're telling me that in addition to the people who waited until the last 2 hours of registration, the people who couldn't even be bothered to sign up on the deadline and only bothered to sign up because Whittingdale told them to? More on the media campaign later, and if you can't be asked to read any of my posts, skip to the last paragraph. There was supposed to be two weeks grace before the referendum, giving time for the Electoral Commission to adequately prepare, but the sudden Brexit lead spooked the Conservative camp so much that they no longer felt confident in their superior resources and once more resorted to changing the rules yet again to suit themselves, yet again. There's a reason why I hold these rules so seriously, because they allow for a fair referendum, otherwise you get this farcical situation where one side can set the spending limit and airtime limit of their opponents whilst using state money to far surpass the limits they set and to top it all off, make unambiguously illegal actions legal at the same time they run a media blitz which would be unambiguously illegal for the Brexit campaign to run, and utterly impossible for the Brexit campaign to plan for - given that the Brexit campaign cannot move the registration date to whenever they feel like running their campaign.

A while back up and down Canary Wharf and Westminster where great big adverts for "Gatwick, obviously." They were campaigning for a Gatwick airport expansion. Their rival Heathrow waited for the "Gatwick obviously" campaign to run out of advertising funds before launching their advertising campaign, "Heathrow, obviously." Or perhaps the other way around. I found this to be most amusing. A while later there were 20ft high Vodka murals, Vodka posters all along every ticket barrier and behind the platforms and at the bottom of the escalator, a little A4 poster warning of the dangers of alcoholism. Two rivals with different levels of wealth to draw from.
These are just commercial disputes, but it is amusing to see how they ran their campaigns.

For the Brexit vs Brexin campaigns, this has been a much more contentious issue. From the start the Grassroots Brexit campaign got fucked out of the picture and the Brexit campaign was already at a half foot because the likes of Goldman Sachs, CitiGroup and Morgan Stanley were throwing vast sums of money at the pro-EU campaign in a bid to keep their deregulated window into Europe open, doing so before donations had to be declared. Pro-EU Charities and Universities were able to throw their voice in with great sums of the EU's grants at their back, with aforementioned money having come from British taxes in the first place - and there are no legal limits on this spending because they're not a part of the Remain campaign. That all of our highest posts of office are held by pro-EU Oxbridge alumni and that we've had the option of voting in pro-EU Oxbridge alumni or pro-EU Oxbridge alumni from the left or right wing Oxbridge alumni since William fucking Hague 15 years ago is just icing on the cake.
Whatever, right? That just comes with the territory of trying to work against the most powerful and wealthiest people in your government and the government above your government and many of the corporations and banks based in London. No one thought it'd be easy unless they were naive or drunk and if one side clearly has superior resources and connections, it only makes sense for them to use them.
Then things get worse from there.
The vodka people vs the anti-alcoholism people, that is a simple case of a giant stepping on a bug. The whole thing with Heathrow vs Gatwick, that is a case of two near-equals with one being shrewder than the other. But we have this curious thing where under Cameron's leadership, he made the state pro-EU. He damn well nearly forced Tory ministers to all be pro-EU under collective responsibility and was only forced to suspend collective responsibility after senior Tories and Frontbenchers threatened to resign en masse and paralyze the Tory leadership if they weren't allowed to take sides. Cameron finally says all MPs will be allowed to support Brexit, but only after renegotiations with the EU take place. For a month and a half pro-UK MPs are forced to remain silent or amicable to the EU in public, leaving 4 months to campaign. When it came to selecting the Campaigns to represent Brexit and Brexin, there was only one choice for Brexin, and the grassroots Brexit campaign lost to Vote Leave, with both campaigns getting one free postal leaflet sent to every house at State expense, TV broadcasting privileges, a state grant and a £7m spending limit. That is of course, ignoring private support, or that time where £9.3m on a pro-EU leaflet and internet campaign sending 27 million glossy 16-page leaflets to every household in Britain completely outside of the legal bounds of their Brexin campaign (not being a part of it at all) or without spending a single penny of the Brexin chest (being entirely funded by the state, because George Osborne is pro-EU). Outspending the entire Brexit campaign on leaflets without spending a single penny of theirs whilst the Brexit campaign is legally constrained. Nope, no trends here. Then we finally get to this wonderful day, where the Brexin campaign is capable of launching a media blitz after voting registration ends, because surprise surprise, they can just change the voting registration deadline to open a window in which no Brexit campaign is campaigning (and indeed, why would they be so foolish as to believe the deadline was a deadline) to keep things fair and balanced by registering the demographic most likely to vote-EU in an environment in which only pro-EU campaigns are running, all made legal after the action has already commenced because I suppose that's how law works now. Brexit campaigns were running on the information that that the registration ended on the deadline, Brexin campaigns were running through two days after where the registration deadline was helpfully moved.
If the situations were reversed and these were actions done by a Eurosceptic PM, a Brexit victory would be able to legally be challenged and its result overturned or a second referendum called.

Sorry for getting pissy and jumping down your throat but I have literally just discovered in this moment of anger what maniac must feel like all the time.
I've said it once, I'll say it twice - I'm not looking forward to democracy where democracy is about gutting your opponents, making them incapable of resisting and winning. If you want some insight into my personal life, I live in London where all of my friends are pro-EU - and I have given more help to the EU campaign than my convictions allow me to be proud of, this is how seriously I hold my morals. Thus these shitposts in this thread are one of the few places where I can unambiguously state my sincerest beliefs. Then you show up, proudly state how you didn't read anything, and insult me.

:[
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 107