Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151396 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

It's almost as though the Europeans drew arbitrary lines and called them borders

US Public School = UK State School
US Private School = UK Prep/Public School
I don't know what any of this means any more
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's almost as though the Europeans drew arbitrary lines and called them borders

US Public School = UK State School
US Private School = UK Prep/Public School
I don't know what any of this means any more

In the US we also have these things called charter schools. They get state funding but are run like US Private/UK Prep schools.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That's not even a distinct category, they're just private schools in a state with a charter program.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, as we're diverted, "Public School" in the UK is from the historic distinction from privately run schools, that were just a level below private tutilidge as far as exclusivity was concerned. In fact such  public schools generally started off as Charity Schools, not run for profit (quite so much) or (quite so) exclusive.as to which pupils they took in - as long as they qualified for a scholarship, of course. This was before complsory education really kicked in, so there was no general education provided to hoi poloi outside of local provision by the church or any other benefactor.

These days, Public Schools have morphed into a subset of Independent Schools (fee-paying, 'private schools' in the very real sense).  As opposed to State Schools ('public school' as far as most of the rest of the world is concerned) run (or ran..  see 'Academies') by or in conjunction with the Local Education Authority (roughly cognate with local government council areas, SFAIAA) and which tend to be non-self-selecting, although this line is blurred when it comes to Faith Schools, traditionally of the Catholic or CofE pursuasions, which have sometimes at least paid lip-service to their particular creed when interviewing prospective parents the parents of prospective pupils.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

To be fair, I know piss all about American geography so it's a two-way street.
America... I keep forgetting where exactly it is. It's a province of Disneyland, right?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:01:38 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

No, that's California. Different country. The USA is between Mexico and New York.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

No, that's California. Different country. The USA is between Mexico and New York.
You're thinking of Texas, it's kinda like Australia if everything wasn't trying to kill you, there is literally nothing else between Mexico and New York besides Texas and a rather pretty mountain range.

Oh, and like half a million tons of methamphetamines.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Boris vs Cameron is getting hype. Boris called the EU hitler, his approval ratings doubled that of Cameron's, Corbyn adopted a new strategy of saying we're better off fucking the Tories than the EU and upcoming hype battle: Brown vs Bogolord

Unrelated police banter

Literally Adolf Bonaparte incarnate:
"“The Italians, who used to be a great motor-manufacturing power, have been absolutely destroyed by the euro – as was intended by the Germans,” Mr Johnson claims.
“The euro has become a means by which superior German productivity is able to gain an absolutely unbeatable advantage over the whole eurozone.” He adds: “This is a chance for the British people to be the heroes of Europe and to act as a voice of moderation and common sense, and to stop something getting in my view out of control.”
Meanwhile, the Vote Leave campaign published research suggesting that the single market had failed Britain. Official EU statistics show that over the last decade, the value of British exports of goods to the EU has fallen by 18 per cent.
By contrast, German exports of goods during the same period rose by 78.9 per cent."

Sheeeeeit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Abbreviated, @LW, as there was nothing of great import to discuss in that last one. Until I go back to the missed message, I think this batting back and forth has run out of steam.

As indicated, people do live (and sleep) above the ground that they mine.

How would (further) innovation stopped the sub-prime mortgage crash? Further repackaging to further obfuscate the innovative obfuscations that packaged so much bad debt in with the good, thus causing the problem. The extraordinary proof required is that stagnation somehow allowed such disparate risks to gravitate together into a low-risk-looking chunk. Unfortunately, while the universe (probably) isn't full of little angels pushing things around so as to 'fake' gravity, loan-chunks do absolutely require people to actively make decisions of this kind for them to happen.   "Hey guys, I bet it would be a good idea if..." is probably something like the way this innovative solution to sub-primes which led to the problems we saw.

"I have zero party allegiance to any of them, still won't deprive myself of influence on purpose" looks like "I am not a member of a party. Are you not a member of a single party, and inflencing (infinitesimally) multiple parties? Good luck with that, but you're probably wasting your subscription fees by spreading yourself  bets and risking summary expulsion for acting contrary to each and every party's interests, at which point you're back to where I am, voting for public elections, but not party ones.  (Or you've yet again said something that I have dimwitedly misunderstood.)

(You missed out Hebridean and Zetlander, I think, as to who you are not. Or you're just off the coast of France, but nobody I know down there is quite as Europhobic as you, either.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Well, when I say Brit I generally mean something besides the Scots, Welsh, or Leprechauns. I vaguely get the Cornish bit, but I'm not sure if it is due to growing up watching a lot of Are You Being Served and the like on PBS at night, or more recently getting caught back up with the NuWho series.

Oh yeah, when exactly is the referendum or whatever finalized?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Well, when I say Brit I generally mean something besides the Scots, Welsh, or Leprechauns. I vaguely get the Cornish bit, but I'm not sure if it is due to growing up watching a lot of Are You Being Served and the like on PBS at night, or more recently getting caught back up with the NuWho series.
You mean the English then. Uh... No comment on the latter bit.

Oh yeah, when exactly is the referendum or whatever finalized?
23 June

Also The Guardian is writing pro-UK, wtf is going on

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Whatever happens, I'll be sure to shoot off some Ultimate Freedom Day fireworks early, risking my own permanent mutilation if not death, in celebration of Uckland in general and David "Not A Pig If The Sausage Is Hid" Cameron specifically. Maybe I'll reserve a purple fountain for Nigel Farage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember, everyone, that (except for some exceptions) if you haven't registered to take part in the Tory leadership campaign by midnight tonight, you've missed your chance.

(Strange that Labour opened up their own contest to anyone willing to pay, but the Conservatives are giving this privilidge to everyone on the Electoral Role, for free!)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Remember, everyone, that (except for some exceptions) if you haven't registered to take part in the Tory leadership campaign by midnight tonight, you've missed your chance.

(Strange that Labour opened up their own contest to anyone willing to pay, but the Conservatives are giving this privilidge to everyone on the Electoral Role, for free!)
That's because Labour political membership was atrocious, so to remove the influence of Unions which picked the unelectable Miliband and to boost party membership, they did the same thing Google did with Google+, have it or you can't talk shit
Ironic because it made the Unions dominate and rekt the power of Labour MPs, but it did boost Party membership, thus Googleplussing did sort of work as long as you weren't one of them MPs

Tories don't have to worry about some third inner faction wonking them up (well, not more than usual anyways)
Also useful infographic for anyone wondering who's most likely to win and why:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 107