Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151324 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Breeki British Brexit thread
« Reply #1410 on: June 27, 2016, 11:44:15 pm »

RIP Reason
June 27th, 2016 7:30 PM EST - June 27th, 2016 8:00 PM EST

That would imply that reason ever existed on the internet.

I love you.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: June 27, 2016, 11:45:48 pm »

Just then Boris flies overhead in a concorde made of Bank of England gold - 'don't worry!' he laughs. 'I've cut out all the bits the French made!'

All the propaganda work of a Eurozone spy. You can tell because he mentions cutting out all the French bits but still spells it Concorde

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: June 28, 2016, 12:06:15 am »

I would be totally okay with the US accepting 3.7 million.  I would start getting worried until the number was like 100 million.  What's the problem?  Not enough houses?  Not enough food?

Not enough cash? Sweden got a quite expensive social security system to maintain, and refugees needs a few years to integrate into the workforce.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: June 28, 2016, 12:11:20 am »

Let them enter the job market and you are ahead long term.  Instead of spending 13 years coddling someone through high school you are getting adults who just need a couple years of assimilation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 28, 2016, 12:18:46 am »

I would be totally okay with the US accepting 3.7 million.  I would start getting worried until the number was like 100 million.  What's the problem?  Not enough houses?  Not enough food?
Well actually, yeah. There is something of an affordable housing shortage, which is driving up rent prices. And iirc, it's even worse in Britain.

I'm not anti-immigrant, and you're right about the long-term benefits of absorbing them, but in the short-term there are definite economic pains. Doubly so in countries that actually provide benefits to indigent newcomers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1415 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:16 am »

So yeah, I think that most western countries should be doing more to deal with refugee. But Sweden might be a rare exemple of a country doing too much.
Oh yeah, I'm absolutely not arguing for Sweden and Germany or whatever to sacrifice everything for the sake of refugees. But if everyone pitches in (and the UN starts exerting some more authority with their refugee management things) we shouldn't need to turn anyone away.

Not enough houses?  Not enough food?
The problem is - as people have been saying - integration. These people come from a completely different culture. Many don't speak English. They're unlikely to find employment, and they're unlikely to leave their own immigrant communities.

All of these things need to be addressed if we don't want the crisis to get... more out of hand, but that takes a lot of money. And good luck getting that money when a significant portion of the country is opposed to taking the refugees in the first place, let alone paying for their jobs and schooling.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: June 28, 2016, 12:24:52 am »

Not enough housings, not enough jobs, not enough schools, not enough police, not enough safety, not enough social services, not enough of all of the things they come here expecting to be supplied with.

Let them enter the job market and you are ahead long term.  Instead of spending 13 years coddling someone through high school you are getting adults who just need a couple years of assimilation.

There are no jobs in Sweden for non-swedish-speaking, skilless and/or educationless, and in many times analphabetic people. Those few such jobs there is would also be shared with the large population of Swedish speaking skilless and/or educationless people (of both eedieh and immigrant backgrounds) that are already in Sweden and unemployed.
Love, scriver~

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 28, 2016, 12:36:29 am »

Both. Mostly houses, I suspect, though. Taking in hundreds of thousands of people all at once is just too much to handle. In a steady stream over a long time period, sure. All at once? Goddamn.

Also, I'd recommend everyone here watch Braindead. It's great. Makes a good point, politically speaking, too. (slightly left-bias, but only because main character is Democrat)

I am not saying all refugees are terrorists or rapists. But far, far too many are.

And anyway, why don't we just build refugee camps in the middle-east, instead of transporting these economic migrants all the way to the first-world?
...There are. A lot of them. I...I honeslty can't tell if this is Poe's law, because you're calling them economic migrants immediately after refugee camps. I'm sorry, I really don't know.

Also, fucking go blow the shit out of ISIS. Goddamn. Fastest bloody way to deal with the refugee crisis to solve the source. Yeah, it's expensive. It's also the right thing to do, from a humanitarian and economic perspective. People are too squeamish about it since Bush. There is a war with an obvious bad guy. Literally terrorists forming a nice big group that you can actually use the military to hit. Hit them. Leave. When they reform, hit them. Every time they reform, hit them. It'll weed out the 'troublemakers' for lack of a better term (with death, I'm well aware), and will hopefully allow them to form their own government, without giving them enough incentive (organizational intelligence in this respect is not going to be, I suspect, a strong point) to dig in and guerilla up. If they do, well, they can't accomplish their goals of having a country to rule over and Shariah Law everyone inside until they do form up into a nice APFSDS-able block.

Seriously, fuck warlords.

People can get educations, scriver. *shrug* Besides, don't you love capitalism? Come on, you know you want cheap labor. All those cheaper products that you won't be able to buy! Think of the the profits!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 28, 2016, 12:40:05 am »

Even if you remove ISIS, that just leave Assad, al-Nusra, the SDF and various assorted rebels fighting each other. People are still going to be fleeing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 28, 2016, 12:43:20 am »

Yeah, and fuck Assad too. Gassing his populace and shit.

The rebels have a goddamn eagle as their logo. They are basically begging the West to come help them. Fuck this airstrike business, we have these new tanks and shit for a reason, damnit. I refuse to believe it's there to look pretty.

That's what the Coast Guard are for, damnit. That and rescuing idiots and the unlucky.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 28, 2016, 12:49:08 am »

People can get educations, scriver. *shrug*

Not without knowing Swedish or having elementary school knowledge, let alone basic ability to read and write.

Besides, don't you love capitalism? Come on, you know you want cheap labor. All those cheaper products that you won't be able to buy! Think of the the profits!

There is a reason of the only two parties in Sweden still in favour of completely open borders are the most neo-liberal party of all (the Centre Party) and the most neo-liberal on the left (the Greens).
Love, scriver~

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: June 28, 2016, 12:56:45 am »

Yeah, and fuck Assad too. Gassing his populace and shit.

The rebels have a goddamn eagle as their logo. They are basically begging the West to come help them. Fuck this airstrike business, we have these new tanks and shit for a reason, damnit. I refuse to believe it's there to look pretty.

That's what the Coast Guard are for, damnit. That and rescuing idiots and the unlucky.

There are no rebel groups large, organized, experienced, or well equipped enough to defeat the government forces at this point, and there haven't been for quite some time. They haven't exactly been shy with the war crimes either. The Kurds have no interest in doing much more than securing what they consider their own territory, even if they did have the capability, which they don't. I don't think much needs to be said about the idea of leaving it all for ISIS. The Russians picked the right horse, I think.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: June 28, 2016, 12:58:54 am »

That also happens to be part of getting an education. Might be smarter than you think. I'll bet more than a few can read and write. Might not be Swedish, mind. But I'll bet they understand some elementary school stuff. Hell, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence, and a couple of studies, that find that kids who don't go to school (at all, homeschooled or no) tend to be around a grade level behind their peers. Brain develops just fine, most of them time. Living in a shitty environment with disease and malnutrition and high stress levels doesn't help, of course. But overall, economies rarely get actually injured by immigration. Controlled immigration, at least. >.> You can still overload the system, of course, and boy howdy will there be growing pains...charity ain't easy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Sweden needs any more refugees. But I don't think kicking them out or treating them like shit for having the nerve to show up on your doorstep asking for help is really the answer either. You got your bite, mouth's a bit overfull, you need to chew and digest this new population. That's why I want to deal with the problem at the source. It won't go away as long as the bullshit wars are happening and people are worried about terrible things.

That said, I do so hate fearmongering. On either side of the spectrum. It's just bad. It fucks with your brain. It fucks with group dynamics. It's just bad. I just want it to die. Please, please let the constant churning state of fear everything tries to whip us into die and never return. It won't happen, but please.

Rebels have their war crimes, yeah. But Fuck Assad anyway, and Fuck ISIS too. Like I said, stomp on them and wait until something that isn't godawful horrendous rises from the ashes. People can survive without a government in subsistence societies. Better than they can with a civil war going on, at any rate.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: June 28, 2016, 01:04:14 am »

Rebels have their war crimes, yeah. But Fuck Assad anyway, and Fuck ISIS too. Like I said, stomp on them and wait until something that isn't godawful horrendous rises from the ashes. People can survive without a government in subsistence societies. Better than they can with a civil war going on, at any rate.

Do you want Salafists? Because that's how you get Salafists. Rearranging the sand from the air is a useless effort.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:56 am »

I am not saying all refugees are terrorists or rapists. But far, far too many are.

As are people all along the colour spectrum. What's so special about refugees?

And anyway, why don't we just build refugee camps in the middle-east, instead of transporting these economic migrants all the way to the first-world?

Er... refugees aren't economic migrants. One is fleeing the very real possibility they could be killed - there is a war on, you know - and the other is choosing to leave to improve their standard of living elsewhere.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 107