Advanced search  

Author Topic: What  (Read 2241 times)

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
What
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:54:46 am »

So it was just a regular game of Dwarf Fortress, but that was before the Fire Nation attacked.

I was just minding my own business, had a quest to go kill an "Ancient Force of Nature" oddly enough, and so my unarmed guy went to go find some cannon fodder friends to help! But all I found was...

A room full of NOTHING but drunken Dwarves, there's no reason for them to be drunk, they don't have alcohol, they don't have food or water, or anything. I check, and all their jobs are "Drunk" and none of them know what's going on at all.

I'm seriously confused, and am about to kill one just to see how they react. Can anyone tell me what the HELL is happening, because I sure don't, and would like to know.
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: What
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:43:52 am »

Drinking mounds aren't taverns, they're drunk quarantine zones. The reason why you don't see drunks of other races is because a 'drunk' is actually a sufferer of a dwarven plague that impairs judgement massively. That's why they never think going along with the blood-drenched sobbing warrior is a bad idea.

Anyway, back to reality: that's just another oddity of dwarven hillocks. The drinking mounds are just stuffed with easily-recruitable meatshields for some reason. Hillocks are quite underdetailed. Civic mounds are strange antichambers filled with dwarves and lacking furniture, dwarven homes are somehow even more cramped than human ones... They need a little more work to be as fun to play in as a human hamlet or town.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:43:17 am »

Drinking mounds aren't taverns, they're drunk quarantine zones. The reason why you don't see drunks of other races is because a 'drunk' is actually a sufferer of a dwarven plague that impairs judgement massively. That's why they never think going along with the blood-drenched sobbing warrior is a bad idea.

Anyway, back to reality: that's just another oddity of dwarven hillocks. The drinking mounds are just stuffed with easily-recruitable meatshields for some reason. Hillocks are quite underdetailed. Civic mounds are strange antichambers filled with dwarves and lacking furniture, dwarven homes are somehow even more cramped than human ones... They need a little more work to be as fun to play in as a human hamlet or town.

I always thought the drunks were hilarious.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:14:20 pm »

Sigun Ulabfed: Dwarven Philosopher and Gentleman.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 01:48:25 pm »

Sigun Ulabfed: Dwarven Philosopher and Gentleman.

It was invetiable. Spoken like a true determinist and drunkard.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 03:58:42 pm »

Drinking mounds aren't taverns, they're drunk quarantine zones.
Are you usually so siggable?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 04:41:05 pm »

Drinking mounds aren't taverns, they're drunk quarantine zones.
Are you usually so siggable?
Like all of us, I try my best. Thanks, though! ;)