Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Agriculture: A balance of simplicity and complexity  (Read 10002 times)

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Agriculture: A balance of simplicity and complexity
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 06:52:07 pm »

From the Improved Farming, Rebooted thread:

To sum the progress of the thread up, while I was initially in favor of a very simple system, I was successfully convinced of the need for a more robust system to track soil nutrients.  Generally, I'm working with a 6-variable model right now, although there's things I am wavering on expanding into making more variables to include.  These variables are Water, N, P, K, pH, and biomass.

Here, I think it may still be worth discussing the mechanics, though yes, I could wade into the actual execution/gameplay UI stuff more (see below). From real-life practical experience, I think the balance of water, carbon, mineral, and air is more important than the management of phosphorous, potassium, and pH.  So much more that I feel the latter would not add significant depth to the process of agriculture and waste management, while possibly adding too much hassle/micromanagement, though I would remain open to a later implementation.

Biomass, meanwhile, exists largely for the purposes of growing funguses, which cannot photosynthesize, and as such, need something to decay to grow and gain chemical energy from.  Biomass is basically just a measure of dead plants...

We should take care not to discount the fungi and bacteria. They are the primary consumers, an equally-but-oppositely important role as plants' primary production. They are capable of dissolving rock into plant-available minerals, sponging up water and nutrients more effectively than even the densest clay, and (especially important) fixing *air*borne nitrogen into *water*borne (plant available) nitrogen through a symbiotic relationship with plant roots (trading N for C(arbohydrates (Energy))).

I would argue carbon (what you call biomass) is not just dead stuff and food for microbes, but the primary vehicle of energy and structure of all *living* things, big and small, dead or alive. The order of importance/priority here of manipulable soil characteristics should be water=carbon, then nitrogen, then I don't really care. Agriculture that focuses on micromanaging N-P-K, pH, and other isolated chemical nutrients is a narrow and unsustainable approach to soil-building - essentially the task of doing the work of a universe of microbes, and honestly, we do it rather poorly, resulting in widespread degradation of soil life. Here, the brothers have an important choice to make: do we model our world after destructive techno-industrial practices, or do we model the world after regenerative agricultural processes. I'm arguing that one is better than the other, and is just as engaging/fun.

Also, you suggested the segregation of urine and feces implementation as well as sewer systems. What about a single-tile building called "latrine" which collects/fills with both types of bodily wastes, which could be placed easily in convenient locations around the fortress, so that dwarves don't have to go far. Like placing garbage cans around the office so you don't have to go far to throw stuff away. The "Use Latrine" job could be handled similar to how hunger and thirst work, perhaps of similar periodicity, and with good placement, relatively non-disruptive to primary work-flows. A new hauling skill could be "haul manure/mulch", with latrine-to-farm being the primary path. Farm-tiles are something like 1-7 water-level, but also for carbon and nitrogen, with 3-4 being the ideal state, so adding too much or too little both (states of 1-2 and 5-6) cause degradation of crop quantity/quality. While manure bumps the nitrogen level, carbon could be added by logs/clothing/etc. being "chipped into mulch" at farmers' workshops. And/or maybe cutting down a tree also produces a few stacks of mulch alongside the usual stacks of logs... Of course there would be mulch and manure stockpile categories.

Well gotta run,

-B

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 08:20:49 pm »

From the Improved Farming, Rebooted thread:

To sum the progress of the thread up, while I was initially in favor of a very simple system, I was successfully convinced of the need for a more robust system to track soil nutrients.  Generally, I'm working with a 6-variable model right now, although there's things I am wavering on expanding into making more variables to include.  These variables are Water, N, P, K, pH, and biomass.

Here, I think it may still be worth discussing the mechanics, though yes, I could wade into the actual execution/gameplay UI stuff more (see below). From real-life practical experience, I think the balance of water, carbon, mineral, and air is more important than the management of phosphorous, potassium, and pH.  So much more that I feel the latter would not add significant depth to the process of agriculture and waste management, while possibly adding too much hassle/micromanagement, though I would remain open to a later implementation.

As an aside, please keep in mind that context is important, and you're quoting something I said from 5 years ago, so it would help if you could actually link the post in question.

Anyway, everything you are arguing should be present is present besides "air", although if we want to start talking about air being tracked, I think that goes beyond mere agriculture.  Biomass is "carbon", but it's only tracking the usable carbon, instead of, as previously mentioned, just a lump of charcoal. 

Beyond that, all you're arguing is that some things shouldn't be tracked because they don't add depth... for reasons you don't explain.  I've argued that they would be useful as ways of differentiating fertilizers, as opposed to making just one or two fertilizers fit all problems.  How is this not the case?

For that matter, you argue for your system in terms of "real life experience", then argue against what I have said in terms of "game depth".  You don't argue why yours adds any game depth, how it actually reduces any complexity, or why it's only a bad thing when the NPK system is grounded in realism.

For that mater, the core of what I am asking of you remains unanswered: How would players actually interact with any of this data?  That is far more important than what is actually being tracked.  Am I to assume you basically want the system I outlined, you just oppose the under-the-hood numbers I'm talking about?  If it's just NPK that upsets you, I mainly followed that model because it's the model Toady had already talked about wanting to implement, my whole thread is about how the interface for player interaction with that system can be made in such a way as to create both an excellent simulation and something that doesn't require constant player babysitting.

Biomass, meanwhile, exists largely for the purposes of growing funguses, which cannot photosynthesize, and as such, need something to decay to grow and gain chemical energy from.  Biomass is basically just a measure of dead plants...

We should take care not to discount the fungi and bacteria. They are the primary consumers, an equally-but-oppositely important role as plants' primary production. They are capable of dissolving rock into plant-available minerals, sponging up water and nutrients more effectively than even the densest clay, and (especially important) fixing *air*borne nitrogen into *water*borne (plant available) nitrogen through a symbiotic relationship with plant roots (trading N for C(arbohydrates (Energy))).

I would argue carbon (what you call biomass) is not just dead stuff and food for microbes, but the primary vehicle of energy and structure of all *living* things, big and small, dead or alive. The order of importance/priority here of manipulable soil characteristics should be water=carbon, then nitrogen, then I don't really care. Agriculture that focuses on micromanaging N-P-K, pH, and other isolated chemical nutrients is a narrow and unsustainable approach to soil-building - essentially the task of doing the work of a universe of microbes, and honestly, we do it rather poorly, resulting in widespread degradation of soil life. Here, the brothers have an important choice to make: do we model our world after destructive techno-industrial practices, or do we model the world after regenerative agricultural processes. I'm arguing that one is better than the other, and is just as engaging/fun.

Actually, over the course of argument, what biomass was supposed to cover changed.  I suppose I forgot to change that part, so thanks for pointing that out.

In any event, I again have to return to the fact that you're basically arguing that simply taking a few variables out of a simulation without discussing in any way how the player interacts with this system somehow makes the game not only deeper, but somehow also encourages a different philosophy of agriculture without, again, actually talking about any of the actual mechanics of simulation or how the player engages in them. 

If you are trying to just argue order of importance, then you're not arguing against the algorithm, you're just arguing against the value of some of the (easily changed) variables within the algorithm. Mechanically speaking, there is no "importance", there are just numbers, and what the math dictates, "importance" is a judgement made by the players.  I don't see how you convey any of this importance through what you are actually discussing.  You aren't talking about any actual mechanic other than comparing some soil variables to an ideal set of soil variables, which is exactly the model you're supposedly arguing against.

Also, you suggested the segregation of urine and feces implementation as well as sewer systems. What about a single-tile building called "latrine" which collects/fills with both types of bodily wastes, which could be placed easily in convenient locations around the fortress, so that dwarves don't have to go far. Like placing garbage cans around the office so you don't have to go far to throw stuff away. The "Use Latrine" job could be handled similar to how hunger and thirst work, perhaps of similar periodicity, and with good placement, relatively non-disruptive to primary work-flows. A new hauling skill could be "haul manure/mulch", with latrine-to-farm being the primary path.

Sure, chamberpots are fine, too.  I like the idea of also including sewers with flowing water to collect it all, however, because I like designing automated systems.

Farm-tiles are something like 1-7 water-level, but also for carbon and nitrogen, with 3-4 being the ideal state, so adding too much or too little both (states of 1-2 and 5-6) cause degradation of crop quantity/quality.

I'm not sure why people are so hung up on sevenths... You know that exists because, combined with the magma bit, it means map tiles can contain all water data in four bits, right?  Farming-related information would not be stored in the map layer, and would be stored with the likes of grass length, as a special feature of certain surface tiles.  (No point in storing soil data on non-soil tiles.)

Anyway, you'll need to have much more than a single-digit (in decimal) integer value to properly store substantially different water consumption rates, much less evaporation rates.  Dwarf thirst, for example, is measured with a 32-bit integer, IIRC, which is incremented by 1 per game tick. Farming ticks are generally 100 game ticks, so it could possibly be a lower value, but still, we're probably looking at a short per soil stat per tile/area, depending upon how data is organized.

I also again have to ask why you're holding an argument explicitly about the Agriculture Rebooted thread in a separate thread when you're basically going point by point through that thread... It's much easier for people to track every argument about the thread when it's actually contained within the same thread.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:34:06 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 08:56:41 am »

I also again have to ask why you're holding an argument explicitly about the Agriculture Rebooted thread in a separate thread when you're basically going point by point through that thread... It's much easier for people to track every argument about the thread when it's actually contained within the same thread.

Because that thread hadn't been updated in nearly a year and, at 31 pages long, has some serious TLDR baggage. I was impressed with the amount of thought and detail you presented in your original post, and personally, I would love to play a DF version with that level of agricultural possibilities. Of course I'm pretty biased toward that, and I question just how much effort/detail the brothers want to put into dwarven agriculture at the risk of overburdening/alienating the median player. So I decided to propose a slightly less detailed, yet still profoundly effective approach based on my real-life experience. However, I am not a professional computer game designer, so some of the implementation particulars I would leave up to others. I welcome your constructive suggestions.

For that mater, the core of what I am asking of you remains unanswered: How would players actually interact with any of this data?

Building latrines, stables, stockpiles, activity-zones, and hauling water, manure, mulch, and querying farm tiles and farmers' workshops. I don't think the average player wants to have to deal with more greater quantities/qualities of soil amendments than that. Am I understanding your question correctly? I don't think I can get more detailed, as I am not into modding the RAWs or whatever.

I'm not sure why people are so hung up on sevenths...

Because as a player, the 1-7 water-scale is the most immediately available presentation of an already-implemented finer-gradation than the all-or-nothing that-which-needs-to-be-dug and that-which-has-been-dug. Really, the programmable bits and the UI scale really don't matter so much as long as there is some kind of non-zero-sum spectrum of soil characteristics.

Finally, I know you put alotta work into the Rebooted post, and I applaud you for it. I definitely still think it's worth a read, and that's why I linked to it near the top of my original post. But please know that I am not just out to steal your thunder, troll, and/or endlessly rehash old arguments. I feel like my ideas are worth a new post, and not being buried under 31 pages of details and commentary.

Thanks for reading,
-B

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 10:57:26 am »

Because that thread hadn't been updated in nearly a year and, at 31 pages long, has some serious TLDR baggage. [...] So I decided to propose a slightly less detailed, yet still profoundly effective approach based on my real-life experience.

[...] Finally, I know you put alotta work into the Rebooted post, and I applaud you for it. I definitely still think it's worth a read, and that's why I linked to it near the top of my original post. But please know that I am not just out to steal your thunder, troll, and/or endlessly rehash old arguments. I feel like my ideas are worth a new post, and not being buried under 31 pages of details and commentary.

Here's the thing: As much as it might be "TLDR baggage" to have all the discussions on a single topic in one place, what happens when splitting what is basically a single conversation into multiple new topics and then letting those new topics fall off the front page?  If you weren't going to read the single thread you were responding to in full, there's no chance the next person who wants to argue with that thread is going to search for, much less read any subsequent discussions.  What happens when there are a lot of people who want to make an argument about that same topic?  You wind up with dozens of new threads responding to an old thread, and it becomes an ontological mystery as to who is responding to what when threads get cross-quoted without even being linked.  (And please quote with links.  Either hit "insert quote" and crop down to the part you want to use, or use [ url=urlname] and [ /url] and "copy link address" when right-clicking the "title" of a post.)

The reason I just copy-paste a response to a "no poop in DF" argument is because these arguments pop up once every other month. There are dozens of threads arguing this same topic over and over. (There used to be people just copy-pasting the lists of "previous threads that cover this exact topic" just to show where the argument had already been.) Part of why that topic is 31 pages long (and it's called "Reboot" because it is a reformatting of the argument of a 60-page long thread to cut down on the TL;DR) is that I have already put down point-by-point responses to arguments like "no poop in DF". So, yes, I realize you don't intend to rehash the argument, what you're doing will unintentionally lead to it. 

Furthermore, your good points will be lost if it's not in the main thread.  Again, that thread is a result of argument with dozens of people over years, and making a consensus position that took everyone's input into account.  If I didn't randomly happen to stumble into the suggestions forum at this time, I'd have no knowledge of this thread and no chance to really modify the main thread.  Hashing over different points of view and working out the differences makes for a whole greater than the sum of its individual's points of view.  If dozens of people just say they want some thing, and a few dozen others say they want some mutually exclusive thing, but none of them ever talk to one another, it results in losing the chance for people to understand the different points of view, and create a single suggestion that could actually answer everyone's concerns.

(I should also point out that I wasn't even done writing the main argument until page 18 in the thread... Many people just "posted to watch".  When you get done with all the pro forma rehashes of the same arguments, you're already at page 12 and suddenly, someone TL;DRs and starts up the same argument again.)

In any event, I'm going to make the "substansive responses" in the Agriculture Rebooted thread.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 12:39:25 pm »

You seem intent on making your proposal(s) the only available framework for discussing DF agriculture. That would be fine with me if your handle was Toady.

I'm here to propose a different framework, one whose focus is the beauty of elegant simplicity. I look forward to discussing with anyone who wants to talk about agriculture in that way, rather than tinkering with the 1001 moving parts of your proposal.

Nice hijack tho,

-B

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 03:30:37 pm »

The best non-magic explanation is magma. There's an entire magma sea. There are guaranteed passages generated between the cavern layers. Real organisms are known that can subsist off of volcanic vents. Creatures are capable of moving between cavern levels.
The days where you could pretend that DF was somehow a low-magic world are long-gone.  There are no rational, scientific ways to say that somehow magma causes amethyst men -literal walking chunks of amethyst- to operate as a pseudo-living creature.  There is absolutely nothing remotely close to shadow creatures coming from other dimensions to kill lone travellers at night in real-world science, much less transformations into night creatures.  This is a world where forests have a sentient hive-mind spirit that can transform ordinary animals into anthropomorphized furries on their whims.
Keep in mind not all worlds will actually have magic. Cavern life needs a plausible non-magic reason to exist, or else it cannot exist in those worlds without.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:32:32 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:58 pm »

My favorite type of fantasy/sci-fi is the kind that have an earthly human heart beating at the thematic core, no matter how many coats of magical alien paint.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »

Keep in mind not all worlds will actually have magic. Cavern life needs a plausible non-magic reason to exist, or else it cannot exist in those worlds without.

The problem with that is, again, forgotten beasts, amethyst men, floating heads, nether caps, etc, are all in existence in all vanilla games.  The entire concept of the post-0.28 caverns system are pretty much absolute magic. Frankly, you can include dwarves and their magic stone-vaporizing pickaxes that make hollowing out half a mountain a faster and simpler task than building a single above-ground hut in that mix.

Dwarven civilization could not exist without magic, and so the only way to play a zero-magic game would be to turn off the whole underground, and cut tremendous chunks of the raws out. 

Quarry Bushes are not mushrooms, they are literal bushes with stone gray leaves and nuts that look like rocks.  Attempting to justify this with real science is just pure denialism.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 05:09:43 pm »

You seem intent on making your proposal(s) the only available framework for discussing DF agriculture. That would be fine with me if your handle was Toady.

I'm here to propose a different framework, one whose focus is the beauty of elegant simplicity. I look forward to discussing with anyone who wants to talk about agriculture in that way, rather than tinkering with the 1001 moving parts of your proposal.

Nice hijack tho,

-B

The problem with your statement is you clearly aren't suggesting something new, you're commenting on the thread that came before, which is obviously something that belongs in the original thread.  (And, again, you don't have a framework for how the player interacts with anything, you just have a couple variables you'd prefer be more prominent without even starting to grapple with the concept of interface.)

If you want Toady weighing in, the oft-overlooked header of the suggestions forum says the following:
BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION
[...]
    Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.

I am not kidding when I say that you can find dozens upon dozens of rehash threads that get met with the "here is a list of the dozens of threads this thread is exactly like", often posted by new people. In fact, it's to the point where it's often a joke on the boards that "it was inevitable", and part of the lifecycle of a bay12 poster to post something dozens of other people have posted.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 06:31:52 pm »

BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION
[...]
    Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.

Operable words "can" and "expand":

I *can* bump your thread, but don't *have* to (though out of respect for all the effort that went into it, I soft-bumped by including a link).

I'm not interested in expanding that already long-winded collection of every suggestion there's ever been about improving dwarven agriculture. My goal is to *distill* agricultural methods into some sort of concise format that still functions semi-realistically. It's unrealistic to think there will or should be only a single thread for each DF topic; if they wanted the suggestions thusly organized, they would designate specific forums for each subtopic.

The problem with your statement is you clearly aren't suggesting something new, you're commenting on the thread that came before

Maybe there was so much information that I missed it, but please feel free to quote where someone else had the same idea than me. It could be out there, but a simple search did not turn anything up. I decided to let my idea stand alone in its own thread. No big deal.

Well, I think I'm done here. I'm not interested in further derailing down some pointless argument about forum etiquette. Good luck with your quest to be part of the development committee on DF agriculture. I'm sure Toady's read your post once or twice, so take a deep breath.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 11:18:30 am »

The problem with that is, again, forgotten beasts, amethyst men, floating heads, nether caps, etc, are all in existence in all vanilla games.  The entire concept of the post-0.28 caverns system are pretty much absolute magic. Frankly, you can include dwarves and their magic stone-vaporizing pickaxes that make hollowing out half a mountain a faster and simpler task than building a single above-ground hut in that mix.

Dwarven civilization could not exist without magic, and so the only way to play a zero-magic game would be to turn off the whole underground, and cut tremendous chunks of the raws out. 

Quarry Bushes are not mushrooms, they are literal bushes with stone gray leaves and nuts that look like rocks.  Attempting to justify this with real science is just pure denialism.
FBs wouldn't exist (can be a prerequisite to killing magic in a formerly magic world.) IDK what a floating head is, but cave floaters are mostly gas (no more magic than hydrogen-filled blowfish), and floating guts don't fly. Amethyst men wouldn't exist (at least not as described.) Nether-cap could be replaced with a fungus that incorporates magma safe materials in its structure, if the utility is still desired. That concept of the caverns system is entirely your opinion. You didn't mention the huge mushroom trees or more mundane critters that serve as a source of underground subsistence. And on the bright side, no magma critters.

Dwarven mining gets a pass due to gameplay. Their civilization is impractical, not impossible.

Who said they were mushrooms?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myco-heterotrophy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corallorhiza
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptothallus
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:49:21 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 11:27:54 am »

*AHEM*

Plants of one kind or another are the beginning of any food chain. By organizing inorganic materials and capturing the energy of sunlight, plants create food that all kinds of animals depend on. Since plants in the Underdark do not have access to sunlight, they must make foods by other means. Thus, most take very different forms than the green plants of the surface world.

Most of the Underdark's plant life consists of a tremendous variety of fungi. Fungus normally requires some amount of detritus or decaying material to thrive. So where does the fungus find its food? The answer is simple: magic. The natural magical radiation of the Underdark and its various planar connections support many weird fungal growths, as well as lichens, mosses, and other simple plants, whose existence would otherwise be impossible. In effect, faerzress is the sunlight of the Underdark, forming the basis of the subterranean food chain. Underdark regions particularly rich in faerzress or planar energies have been known to support fantastic forests of pale, gnarled trees or crystalline plants. These growths are completely adapted to their lightless, hostile environment.

Surprisingly, however, green plants are not entirely absent from the Underdark. Some caverns illuminated by particularly bright radiant crystals can actually support green plants. Caves with this sort of dazzling illumination might be filled with grass; moss, ferns, creepers, or even small trees. Any such place is a treasure beyond price in the Underdark, and it is certain to be guarded by deadly spells, monstrous guardians, or both.
-Excerpt from Dungeons&Dragons Forgotten Realms Campaign Accessory: Underdark, pg 108

As you can see, it is no tradition for the ecosystems of caverns to be based on mundane means. The funny thing about fantasy universes is that magic itself is not separate from the laws of the universe but is in fact a subset of those laws. If someone proposes magic for the solution to a world-building problem in a fantasy setting, then you should be questioning the characteristics of the magic, what it specifically does and where it comes from before evaluating whether or not it is a good solution, not dismissing it out of hand. If you think "the caverns generate a magical energy source that is the basis of subterranean ecosystems" is not an "intellectually valid explanation" in a world where dragons can magically spew fire hotter than magma, giant bronze colossi (which Toady himself has described in the raws as "gigantic magic statues made of bronze") can magically move under their own power and ghosts magically rise up to haunt you if you don't give them a proper burial or memorial, then the nicest thing you can be called is a pseudo-intellectual.
You still need energy to break down the hydrocarbons, and after playing several volcano embarks I can assure you that fossil fuels and magma are never found anywhere near each other in DF (and I very much suspect that this holds true in reality as well). You'd need to have a magic source of energy to justify a fossil fuel based ecosystem, so you might as well have the entire thing be magic.

I know it is a common line of thinking, it simply happens not to work intellectually speaking.  :)

This is a line of thinking that simply does not work, because of the definition of magic.  Magic by definition is a means of doing things that are not the ordinery and mundane working of the universe; if the ordinery and mundane working of the universe is based upon something called magic then while that might be a label you are using for that thing, it is not actually magical in nature but at best simply something that is not understood.  The sun was not working 'by magic' until Mark Oliphant discovered nuclear fusion, it simply was an energy source the functioning of which was not definately understood. 

Quote from: google definition of magic
    the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

adjective: magic
    having or apparently having supernatural powers.
    "a magic wand"
    synonyms:   supernatural, enchanted, occult, Druidical; More
    rarenecromantic, thaumaturgic, thaumaturgical, sorcerous
    "a magic spell"
        very effective in producing the desired results.
        "confidence is the magic ingredient needed to spark recovery"

To refer to the definition of magic, the key operational requirement for something to be magic is that is be supernatural, which means that it must be beyond/against the ordinery laws of nature of the given universe.  The problem is that if something is providing a reliable mundane power source for a natural ecosystem, that something cannot really be said to be supernatural and hence cannot be magic.  Something like a dragons breath can potentially be magical since it is not the basis of the whole natural world but can instead be a supernatural intrusion into that world by the dragon's magical powers.  In the given example the underdark caverns are not actually being powered by magic at all but simply by an outside source that happens to be extraplanar and by crystals that may even be generating energy by mundane means. 

In the given example only the crystals are really a mystery as they seem to have a quasi-scientific grasp on the energy source of the underdark, it comes from someplace else (the other planes) that are connected to the underdark.  The crystals are mundane objects that emit light, the science of which they do not understand but like the sun that does not make it magic; the only scientific mysteries here are how the crystals are generating light and how the energy gets from the other planes to the underdark.  It is as if ancient people had decided the thing that powers the sun magic and then this explanation held all the way until they had a 100% complete knowledge of nuclear fusion, because as long as there are gaps in what it known then it's still working by magic. 

I do not know how to put it politely but: where did the imagination go?  We do not know what quarry bushes actually are biologically, but we generally surmise that they are type of fungus since they grow without sunlight, but they are quite different from any existing fungus that really exists but they certainly do not use their 'leaves' for the purpose that plants do.  Floating heads are just cavern dwelling creatures, these exist in reality.  Nether caps are just giant mushrooms, not really very interesting if you have giant caverns to put them in.  Forgotten beasts are, well it depends upon the forgotten beast so cannot generation. 

This leaves us with amethyst men, well that a moving object that is not biologically alive.; it is therefore no more necceserily magical than a car or a truck is.

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 12:47:20 pm »

Everything is basically expressions of energy.

The stars, planets, black-holes etc. are the gods of energy.

Specifically regarding common perception, the sun and the earth are the local energy gods.

Electromagnetism and gravity, folks. That's most of it.

The two divide once more and become mineral, air, water, and carbon (redox).

It flows like a donut. Wriggling proto-worms. Orifices and all. Breathing and burning.

This is magic. ;)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 01:39:10 pm »

Your definition of magic is flawed. If they can be broken, they aren't the laws of physics.

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 02:30:08 pm »

The edges of scientific knowledge are still fuzzy. There is still room for magic. There is hope.

Though I think the world of metaphor really nicely fills in some gaps...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6