Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Agriculture: A balance of simplicity and complexity  (Read 9994 times)

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agriculture: A balance of simplicity and complexity
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:40:18 pm »

Hey guys! New here, but huge fan of the game. Always wanted to do an ecology/permaculture farming sim, (still haven't found a good one), and from the very beginning thought DF is a perfect start. I am irl a former-computer engineering student-turned-professional horticulturist and practical ecologist. I know agriculture is something on the development horizon, so hopefully I'm not too late here.  There is already so much care that goes into world formation geology, it seems natural to continue that into dynamic game-play.

In one sense, I'm bumping this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76007.0 pretty exhaustive thread, but also wanted to bring my own spin, which will probably include some points already made, but may also offer a good marriage of intuitive simplicity and fun/challenging complexity.

I think a big part of the crux of soil and ecology and its translation into human understandable/programmable language is the overwhelming complexity that unfolds when you approach the subject from a reductive/scientific pov.  Here, I think it would help to focus on the basic foundational, modular/symbolic concepts upon which all living processes (plant and dwarf alike) are modeled.

There are four ingredients to living processes: mineral, air, water, and carbon (the old Greeks called it fire, a simple model of synergetic carbon reduction/oxidation; combustion and respiration are ecologically very similar). Balance is an important concept (in fertile soil: 25% air, 25% water, 45% mineral, 5-10% carbon). Mineral is heavy/slow and air is insubstantial/fleeting, but water and carbon cycle endlessly through atmospheric and terrestrial phases, and in transition, they are extremely manipulable.

DF already does pretty well with the mechanics of water and its seasonal flux, though there are some tweaks that could be implemented with how it soaks into and is held in soil.

I think carbon would be a good place to start with adding a new mechanic around soil fertility modifiers to soil tiles (similar to the 1-7 depth-scale of water?). The roots of plants are really the primary builders of soil carbon; as they grow and die and regrow through the seasons, they leave behind carbon-rich air/water channels in the soil. In this way, disturbance associated with annual cropping systems depletes soil-carbon, while long-term/stable perennial cropping systems build soil-carbon. This type of soil-carbon would probably be part of world-generation. I would love to see an agricultural option that allows perennial guild/community style planting zones that could be built up around pre-existing fruit/nut trees, though I understand the current system of annual cropping has an attractive mechanizable aspect for many (hence our modern reliance on industrial fertilizers and machinery).

And then of course there are the possible fun sub-mechanics surrounding the translation/cycling of "waste" (refuse, corpses…) into "resource". Some waste is rich in carbon (wood and other dry/brown vegetation), while some waste is rich in nitrogen (green vegetation and especially animal products). Carbon and nitrogen have a kind of twin-sibling relationship.  Too much nitrogen causes carbon to be quickly respirated (depleted) from the soil, and leads to collapse of soil-life when the artificially-applied nitrogen is eaten up and washed out of the soil (think like the binge-crash of sugar or hard-drugs), while too much carbon ties up plant-available nitrogen and/or leads to water-saturation/anaerobic conditions. In this way, there should be an appropriate sense of time and place regarding the manipulation of these resources.

Ideally, we "complex" these valuable resources by 1) facilitating interaction, and simultaneously 2) slowing/buffering the flow through the system. Terracing linked up to a drainage/water-source is a perfect example of complexing water.  Planting nurse-logs/corpses in the ground, "chop-and-drop"/chip/leaf mulches are examples of complexing carbon into the soil system.

Mostly, the focus should be on the interactions of water and carbon, as these really lie at the heart of healthy soil and plants.

Gotta run,
Thanks again for a really fun game.

-B

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Agriculture: A balance of simplicity and complexity
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 12:40:37 am »

Posting to watch.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:43:48 am »

I'm up far too late to understand what I just read, but it looks cool... I think...

Posting to watch.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:52:25 am »

This idea has always required dwarven poop to be a thing.   :)

Dwarves live underground, they also farm underground.  This means that recycling nutrients from dwarf poop is going to be utterly essential to the maintainance of the food supply as only a limited amount of nutrients would seep through the ceiling as it were from the soil above.  There is a key element that is missing in the OP suggestions however and that is energy.

For above ground plants the OPs ideas are pretty much sound because those plants get their energy from photosynthesis but underground plants/fungi cannot do this.  The focus of the game is on dwarves and dwarves according to the raws do not farm aboveground, if the player does this it is a new development.  Plants should not merely create carbon as they rot away, they should also add energy into the soil itself.  High energy soils would then attract fungi which would then use up the energy in the soil; key to dwarf farming would be stealing energy for the rivers, oceans and the surface world in order to recycle the energy into underground plants.

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:07:58 pm »

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I understand there is a thematic drive to keep dwarves as underground as possible, and the community may be quite divided about this, but I would hope that we don't necessarily have to choose one way or the other, and that it IS possible to have both above-ground and below-ground operations available. Part of the beauty of the game is you have alot of choice...

As far as energy, I feel like carbon bonds are the primary vehicle of ecological energy.  The bonds between carbons in chains (ala octane, carbohydrates, starches, lignin, cellulose, fats...) are how living things package and transport sunlight-energy. Does this work with what you are saying about transporting energy into the subterranean zone?

-B

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:14:53 am »

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I understand there is a thematic drive to keep dwarves as underground as possible, and the community may be quite divided about this, but I would hope that we don't necessarily have to choose one way or the other, and that it IS possible to have both above-ground and below-ground operations available. Part of the beauty of the game is you have alot of choice...

As far as energy, I feel like carbon bonds are the primary vehicle of ecological energy.  The bonds between carbons in chains (ala octane, carbohydrates, starches, lignin, cellulose, fats...) are how living things package and transport sunlight-energy. Does this work with what you are saying about transporting energy into the subterranean zone?

-B

Yes, carbon bonds are the prime vehicle of energy, but not all carbon is equal; we would not want our dwarves using coal dust as fertilizer simply because it has lots of carbon in it, since the carbon is not in a usable form to biological life.  An easy way to do this would be to simply include carbon as usable carbon rather than all carbon present, or to divide the two kinds of carbon up with non-usable carbon being considered a mineral.  It might be possible to envison a means, whether biological or magical of turning non-organic carbon into usable carbon, which would provide needed energy for the dwarves or other underground creatures in isolation from the surface world though.

That aside, organic carbon is a subterranean ecosystem is very much scarce and will only replenish slowly; the main source should be poop of creatures who are not entirely subterranean in their diet, such as bats (or dwarves).  So in order to realistically depict underground agriculture (which is the only form of agriculture the dwarves canonically practice at the moment) and cavern ecosystems in general we will need to model the poop of dwarves (and other creatures).

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 02:57:51 pm »

-B

Actually, no. Plants use the ( effectively) boundless energy of the sun to bind the carbon in the first place. In other words, the energy bound in carbon bonds original comes from the sun. The plants are there using this energy surplus to take inorganic materials (carbon, gasses, minerals, etc) and converting them into organic molecules (namely starches, but also oils and proteins). Thus, we call them autotrophs. 

Other organisms then steal the energy the autotrophs have bound (in the carbon chains) to fuel their own growth. These are heterotrophs. Fungi are included in this category, as they absorb and repurposed the organic molecules created by the autotrophs. However, energy is always lost as it changes hands- this is why populations (at least total biomass of a POPULATION) gets smaller the higher up a food chain you get. There are more plants than caterpillars.  More caterpillars than birds.  More birds than cats.  More cats than wolves...

My point is, that a subterranean environment is effective cut off from the sun's energy. The foundation of the pyramid is missing. As energy is depleted, it needs replacing... so heavy amounts of fertilizer and organic matter would need to be brought down from the surface to replace what is lost. You can't simply recycle everything endlessly, as energy is consumed when converting, yet alone when dwarves move around or just simply grow.  So subterranean ecosystems would have to piggy back on energy brought from outside... or use a different energy foundation.

There are bacteria that have been found deep in the earth's crust that subsist on radiation. Other bacteria and even mollusks have been found to subsist on breaking down minerals and chemicals. You have heard of the deep-sea vents,bright? Volcanic vents that spew sulpur and such that collect huge colonies of worms and other life feeding off the chemical energy spewing from the earth's mantle. Similar ecosystems have been found in deep, sealed caves. A lichen breaks down a chemical, shrimp and bugs eat that; fish and other bugs eat those.  Fungus and other scavengers recycle anything dead...

Whether it's radiation, minerals, or even just "magic," something has to serve as the backbone of a subterranean ecosystem. Unless you want it completely dependant on imported organic matter from the surface, you need local autotrophs being powered by a local energy source. It could even be thermal-based... I don't think there are IRL examples, but some type of fungus or bacteria that bind thermal energy in carbon (or some other element) chains, that can then be passed up. 

This is the true crux of the issue. Sure, soil depletion is a major problem- but there needs to be local autotrophs.those autotrophs then need their own energy source to create organic compounds from their inorganic surroundings.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:12:05 pm »

Toady's pretty against modelling dwarf poop, because, IIRC, he doesn't want dwarf fortress to get a reputation for being "that game about dwarf poop". One way to model it without having poop directly would be to make it possible to herd livestock over fields after harvest/while fallow, and have that increase field fertility.

If the underground ecology works by getting energy from the magma sea, it could have interesting implications for what happens when players pump the stuff higher up. It's a pretty reasonable explanation for the way the cavern life gets weirder the deeper you go (maybe the top layer is powered by a mix of sun (via surface creatures) and magma (via deep creatures)...but then that would really bring a need for more caves and passages, so here we can shrug and say magic).

Actually, yeah. If we're assuming that the df ecosystem is at least partly magic-powered (which is reasonable enough) that could be a neat twist on how certain magics work. Maybe there could be "deep magic" reactions that work better the closer one gets to the magma sea, whereas other magic relies on sunlight or moon phases. Elven druids could be terrifying above ground but nothing once they get below thr first cavern.

(I really like the current "secrets of life and death" method. Perhaps one could have a "secret of caverns" or a "secret of plants", providing similar situational powers to the necromancers' ability to raise the dead. Hard to say what and it's really off topic though, sorry.)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:30:31 am »

Toady's pretty against modelling dwarf poop, because, IIRC, he doesn't want dwarf fortress to get a reputation for being "that game about dwarf poop".

Yet he added in dwarf vomit quite fine.  Fact is that poop is crucial to the realistic modelling of agriculture, at the moment it's absence is okay since all it would do is add even more clutter to the game and take time to implement; but when soil fertility is implemented poop will have to be as well in some form or else the simulation will not be accurate.   

One way to model it without having poop directly would be to make it possible to herd livestock over fields after harvest/while fallow, and have that increase field fertility.

That will not neccesarily even work.  The source of the energy is the plants they eat, this means that the animals will reduce soil fertility rather than increase it since they use up the energy in the soil.  The only reason it works aboveground at all is because energy is not an issue but nitrogen is and this requires plants that fix nitrogen to be eaten and then mixed in with the soil having bieng digested.  So we have to keep track of what the animals have been eating, if the animals are placed on a barren piece of cavern and fed with food from a surface source then it could still increase soil fertility. 

The best way would be to create a poop object every time a food item is eaten, have the creature store the poop objects internally before 'dropping' them on the ground.  The object then decompose using exactly the same formula as is used for regular food items, in the process adding an appropriate amount of nutrients to the soil.  The poop object contains a % of the total nutrients that the consumed food item had, hence we can model the crucially important recycling of nutrients in a cave ecosystem very well; while making an isolated cavern nonviable as an ecosystem because all the energy runs out. 

If the underground ecology works by getting energy from the magma sea, it could have interesting implications for what happens when players pump the stuff higher up. It's a pretty reasonable explanation for the way the cavern life gets weirder the deeper you go (maybe the top layer is powered by a mix of sun (via surface creatures) and magma (via deep creatures)...but then that would really bring a need for more caves and passages, so here we can shrug and say magic).

Actually, yeah. If we're assuming that the df ecosystem is at least partly magic-powered (which is reasonable enough) that could be a neat twist on how certain magics work. Maybe there could be "deep magic" reactions that work better the closer one gets to the magma sea, whereas other magic relies on sunlight or moon phases. Elven druids could be terrifying above ground but nothing once they get below thr first cavern.

(I really like the current "secrets of life and death" method. Perhaps one could have a "secret of caverns" or a "secret of plants", providing similar situational powers to the necromancers' ability to raise the dead. Hard to say what and it's really off topic though, sorry.)

Magic is not an intellectually valid explanation for the basis of anything in the everyday natural world Waparius, even in fantasy.  If the cavern ecosystem is based upon magic, then said magic is now the foundational basis for the 'natural' world and hence is not magic anymore but simply a regular energy source like the sun; so saying that the cavern ecosystem is based 'on magic' is saying nothing at all.  In order to qualify as magic something supernatural has to be involved, that is something that is in violation of the laws of nature; if something about caverns causing them to generate energy then that is a law of nature not magic. 

More caves and passages is absolutely what the cavern system needs.  Rather than the present situation of having a single vast global caverns under the ground with the exact same creatures, an endless maze that it is impossible to navigate we should have caverns as a particular biome built around the caves that connect them to the surface world, each of which will have unique creatures/plants as with surface biomes rather than the present situation where all caverns are identical.  The caverns generation would start with the surface caves, create a cavern biome in the vicinity of the cave and then place passages in that cavern leading downwards into a lower set of cavern biomes generated in the same manner. 

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:50:10 am »

What about thinking of the caverns as old fossil deposits (ala oil deposits in earth's crust). In DF, they've become so old that the fossil carbon has been eaten up by fungi etc. leaving behind cavities filled with a living, carbon-based ecosystem of fungi, cave spiders, crocs, etc.

And I think that manure could be implemented on a scale relative to the whole game that it would be quite unreasonable to label it categorically as "that game about dwarf poop". Cmon Toady!

-B

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 11:55:59 am »

Magic is not an intellectually valid explanation for the basis of anything in the everyday natural world Waparius, even in fantasy.  If the cavern ecosystem is based upon magic, then said magic is now the foundational basis for the 'natural' world and hence is not magic anymore but simply a regular energy source like the sun; so saying that the cavern ecosystem is based 'on magic' is saying nothing at all.  In order to qualify as magic something supernatural has to be involved, that is something that is in violation of the laws of nature; if something about caverns causing them to generate energy then that is a law of nature not magic.

*AHEM*

Plants of one kind or another are the beginning of any food chain. By organizing inorganic materials and capturing the energy of sunlight, plants create food that all kinds of animals depend on. Since plants in the Underdark do not have access to sunlight, they must make foods by other means. Thus, most take very different forms than the green plants of the surface world.

Most of the Underdark's plant life consists of a tremendous variety of fungi. Fungus normally requires some amount of detritus or decaying material to thrive. So where does the fungus find its food? The answer is simple: magic. The natural magical radiation of the Underdark and its various planar connections support many weird fungal growths, as well as lichens, mosses, and other simple plants, whose existence would otherwise be impossible. In effect, faerzress is the sunlight of the Underdark, forming the basis of the subterranean food chain. Underdark regions particularly rich in faerzress or planar energies have been known to support fantastic forests of pale, gnarled trees or crystalline plants. These growths are completely adapted to their lightless, hostile environment.

Surprisingly, however, green plants are not entirely absent from the Underdark. Some caverns illuminated by particularly bright radiant crystals can actually support green plants. Caves with this sort of dazzling illumination might be filled with grass; moss, ferns, creepers, or even small trees. Any such place is a treasure beyond price in the Underdark, and it is certain to be guarded by deadly spells, monstrous guardians, or both.
-Excerpt from Dungeons&Dragons Forgotten Realms Campaign Accessory: Underdark, pg 108

As you can see, it is no tradition for the ecosystems of caverns to be based on mundane means. The funny thing about fantasy universes is that magic itself is not separate from the laws of the universe but is in fact a subset of those laws. If someone proposes magic for the solution to a world-building problem in a fantasy setting, then you should be questioning the characteristics of the magic, what it specifically does and where it comes from before evaluating whether or not it is a good solution, not dismissing it out of hand. If you think "the caverns generate a magical energy source that is the basis of subterranean ecosystems" is not an "intellectually valid explanation" in a world where dragons can magically spew fire hotter than magma, giant bronze colossi (which Toady himself has described in the raws as "gigantic magic statues made of bronze") can magically move under their own power and ghosts magically rise up to haunt you if you don't give them a proper burial or memorial, then the nicest thing you can be called is a pseudo-intellectual.

What about thinking of the caverns as old fossil deposits (ala oil deposits in earth's crust). In DF, they've become so old that the fossil carbon has been eaten up by fungi etc. leaving behind cavities filled with a living, carbon-based ecosystem of fungi, cave spiders, crocs, etc.
You still need energy to break down the hydrocarbons, and after playing several volcano embarks I can assure you that fossil fuels and magma are never found anywhere near each other in DF (and I very much suspect that this holds true in reality as well). You'd need to have a magic source of energy to justify a fossil fuel based ecosystem, so you might as well have the entire thing be magic.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 12:29:08 pm »

The best non-magic explanation is magma. There's an entire magma sea. There are guaranteed passages generated between the cavern layers. Real organisms are known that can subsist off of volcanic vents. Creatures are capable of moving between cavern levels.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bromus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 12:36:37 pm »

I'm not sure how the brothers feel exactly about this, but I feel like there has been alotta energy put into this game to construct a semi-realistic geology for us to dig through, and I would expect them to continue development in roughly the same direction in the future. And that is something that I really enjoy about the game is it's a pseudo-simulation.

I feel like magic is a part of the game for the sake of fun and story-telling, and also the convenience of ignoring the fact that it is a highly improbable feat to *fully model* real, super-complex, chaotic ecosystems and dwarven communities, so magic offers an easy-out where the details become dizzying.

However, I think it would be possible to bring semi-realistic energy/carbon cycling models into the fabric of the atmospheric/terrestrial (soil/plant) zone, as well as a pseudo-scientific explanation of the caverns. Carbon-based life in caverns could come from water/gravity-transported carbon from the root-zone and surface, or could be the remains of fossilized carbon deposits.

-B

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 12:44:01 pm »

The best non-magic explanation is magma. There's an entire magma sea. There are guaranteed passages generated between the cavern layers. Real organisms are known that can subsist off of volcanic vents. Creatures are capable of moving between cavern levels.
True, but that severely limits where plants can grow, which not only effects where and how often you're going to find wildlife (animals will only wander so far and so often from their food sources) but also where dwarfs can grow crops. I'd be all for the existence of a select few underground plants that can only grow near magma (and of course can be turned into very high value booze and food), but not for all underground plants needing to be near magma to grow.

Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 01:42:06 pm »

My my, first visit to the forums in ages, and look what I find as the first post...

Well, let's deal with this from the top:
In one sense, I'm bumping this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76007.0 pretty exhaustive thread, but also wanted to bring my own spin, which will probably include some points already made, but may also offer a good marriage of intuitive simplicity and fun/challenging complexity.

I think a big part of the crux of soil and ecology and its translation into human understandable/programmable language is the overwhelming complexity that unfolds when you approach the subject from a reductive/scientific pov.  Here, I think it would help to focus on the basic foundational, modular/symbolic concepts upon which all living processes (plant and dwarf alike) are modeled.

That other thread is, itself, the result of long arguments over how to best achieve such a marriage of ease of use and gameplay depth.  As was argued heavily in the thread itself, the thing is, a complex program isn't necessarily complex to the player.  A good example would be something like Nintendogs, a game where the dog's behavior runs complex code to emulate realistic-looking dog behavior, but the player does not need to have any understanding of the code to understand that "the puppy likes it when you pet him".  For an example within DF, itself, Worldgen merely takes a player hitting "start", although the game does have various extremely fiddly options if the player wants to dive into it.  Toady even created a simple and complex interface for both types of players. 

Basically, arguing over whether having 8 realistic attributes attached to soil or 4 "symbolic" or "simplified" attributes attached to soil will have far less dramatic impact upon the player than the actual interface through which the player has to interact with the data.  That's basically why I spent most of my time running through how all those realistic systems could be automated, such that, like with a Nintendog, all the player really has to do is tell their farming dwarves "turn this area into a plump helmet farm", the farm foreman comes back with "we will need [resources] to grow those plump helmets", and you can give them permission.  If the player never has to understand anything further than that they need 5 more potash, and 10 more compost, then the actual nutrients or toxins in the soil can be performing multivariate calculus under the hood, and any random yahoo could still figure out that if they only have eight compost, they need two more. 

To that end, arguing that there should be less simulation really only cuts into the depth of the game's simulation without actually achieving any benefit of simplicity for learning the game's mechanics.  A lose-lose.

Rather than focusing upon the actual mechanics, I would recommend you focus upon the player interface, and how players should actually interact with their farms, and then work backwards from there into what systems produce the player interactions you want players to have.  In my thread, I try to outline how players should interact with the system, such that they are mainly scheduling something that should be sustainable and kept on a repeating schedule year after year, not requiring player micromanagement except during the zoning of land and first setting of the schedule and when certain "events" occur, like blights or pest invasions that force player reaction. 

Nutrients exist as a means of balancing desired outputs with the resources you possess to input.  Toxins exist as a potential temptation for short-term payouts for long-term consequences, or as a long-term land reclaimation project that can make certain areas (say, salty land) more challenging.

As for whether or not to have realistic nutrients, I'd also like to point out that Toady's grandparents were farmers, he has an interest in soil science, and part of his goals for farming were to include the NPK model of macronutrients "to the extent the farming interface can provide decent feedback for you".  Having pseudo-Greek philosophic takes on the carbon cycle just isn't the sort of thing Toady prefers.

Finally, don't be shy about actually resurrecting an old suggestion thread if you just want to rehash old material: It's generally preferred over starting a new topic, since you tend to have people who reiterate the same arguments already made and rebutted, which ultimately does nothing but waste time.  (There's a reason why I just plain have links to common arguments so I don't have to keep making them over and over...)

Toady's pretty against modelling dwarf poop, because, IIRC, he doesn't want dwarf fortress to get a reputation for being "that game about dwarf poop". One way to model it without having poop directly would be to make it possible to herd livestock over fields after harvest/while fallow, and have that increase field fertility.

This is not really true.  Toady has made many statements on the topic, and has moved far away from those initial outright rejections.  See this post from the Agriculture Rebooted thread for an in-depth counter-argument on why the nitrogen cycle should rationally be a part of the game.

To cut to the chase for the TL;DR types, however:
From a Reddit article:
Quote from: ToadyOne
I like fertilizer, animal tracking and sewers. I dislike potty breaks. This is an example of realism that I think has a lot of potential for trouble. Potty breaks in adventure mode might be realistic, but there are immersion issues there. He he he, I mean in the sense of the player being kicked out of their groove. The other kind of immersion wouldn't be so bad, because sewers are common adventure environments. In dwarf mode, dwarves already take a lot of time out for self-maintenance, and this would be a more senseless kind, compared to something like eating.

I've already proposed solutions to the problem of "too many breaks", and think that "combined breaks" should be sufficient.  Plus, designing sewer systems is just so cool...

The days where you could pretend that DF was somehow a low-magic world are long-gone.  There are no rational, scientific ways to say that somehow magma causes amethyst men -literal walking chunks of amethyst- to operate as a pseudo-living creature.  There is absolutely nothing remotely close to shadow creatures coming from other dimensions to kill lone travellers at night in real-world science, much less transformations into night creatures.  This is a world where forests have a sentient hive-mind spirit that can transform ordinary animals into anthropomorphized furries on their whims. 

This is the post in the Agriculture Rebooted thread, and in a dedicated Xenosynthesis thread.

Making farming based upon the management upon some sort of magical resource, even some sort of "ambient resource", such as having to continuously offer prayer and sacrifice to a healing goddess to restore an ambient amount of magical healing energy that healing herbs require to bloom, both makes perfect sense within the DF world and also makes for a rather interesting set of choices for players, as trying to farm those herbs would mean submitting to the whims of said healing goddess.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:44:12 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6