Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 100991 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Moralism
« Reply #1065 on: December 07, 2022, 11:28:32 pm »

President Pedro Castillo just attempted to overthrow the Peruvian government by illegally dissolving Congress and imposing a national curfew, along with trying to diddle the prosecutor's office on the side to disrupt their corruption investigations against him.  This barely lasted two hours before the resignation of most of his cabinet, and declarations of protest from Congress, the constitutional court, and the military, culminating in his own arrest and replacement by the vice president.

The Guardian news story

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 08, 2022, 02:40:15 am »

I guess that’s one problem with democracy, essentially it being a popularity contest, and people winning it confusing winning with being popular as opposed to just being the least unpopular, combined with the Trumpian idea that if you put someone in a powerful position they are expected to follow you blindly.

I have to say I respect the audacity of the move though, other than it being unbelievably short-sighted in that the things that happened afterward were pretty obvious consequences of it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 10, 2022, 03:25:51 am »

I work with some people from Peru and Castillo is kinda unloved by all now (before all that). Peru's pass time is kicking unpopular and unlawful presidents out of the chair. They have like 5 under their belts now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 10, 2022, 04:15:47 am »

I saw an interview of Castillo shortly before he was elected and he came across to me as a complete moron with no idea of what he was talking about. He didn't even know the proper meaning of the words
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 10, 2022, 04:18:51 am »

He is. And his attempt at staying in power was enough demonstration of it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 08, 2023, 03:02:50 pm »

Bolsonaro supporters are pulling a stupider J6 and are storming the Brazilian Congress.

The Brazilian Congress is not in recess today and supposedly empty.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 03:09:04 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 08, 2023, 04:01:55 pm »

If anything its less stupid and scarier than 6J. They have a better chance of disrupting politics due to Brazil's instability (ie: what if the goverment calls down the army to kick them out and the army  takes over?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 08, 2023, 04:32:53 pm »

America, you are a mimetic hazard :P
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 08, 2023, 05:13:42 pm »

Keter class SCP: United States of America.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1074 on: January 12, 2023, 07:31:56 am »

Keter class SCP: United States of America.
I live in a constant state of America

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 13, 2023, 11:40:57 am »

President Pedro Castillo just attempted to overthrow the Peruvian government by illegally dissolving Congress and imposing a national curfew, along with trying to diddle the prosecutor's office on the side to disrupt their corruption investigations against him.  This barely lasted two hours before the resignation of most of his cabinet, and declarations of protest from Congress, the constitutional court, and the military, culminating in his own arrest and replacement by the vice president.

The Guardian news story

Yes, he tried (and failed) to prevent his own overthrow.  The idea that law has anything to do with this is just pure DELUSION.  However he pissed basically everybody off by being a backstabber and throwing everybody overboard to save his own skin so it didn't work. 

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 19, 2023, 03:37:57 am »

Well would you look at that

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/18/genaro-garcia-luna-trial/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks pretty bad. I'll note the Intercept has been deemed by some a questionable source (articles on a specific subject that seemed influenced$, though IIRC it may have only been one writer) a few times recently and generally is quite lefty, if such a site burns your eyeballs.  I look at it because it seems to be nearly entirely outside reuter's/ap repostings and has articles I won't see on three different sites as I trundle from news site to news site.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1077 on: January 19, 2023, 06:20:46 am »

>help man traffick drugs into USA to stop men trafficking drugs into USA
Bravo

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 24, 2023, 10:13:43 pm »

In Surinam, political parties are trying to reform the election laws, because the current laws are deemed discriminatory.
One part of the plan, brought forward by the VHP party, will be strongly opposed by president Brunswijk's party.
The VHP wants that elected officials can have no criminal convictions, whether it be in Surinam, or somewhere abroad.

This would mean that president Brunswijk can no longer be elected, nor can former president Bouterse.
Both have been convicted in absentia in the Netherlands for smuggling (huge amounts of) cocaine.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 24, 2023, 10:19:44 pm »

In Surinam, political parties are trying to reform the election laws, because the current laws are deemed discriminatory.
One part of the plan, brought forward by the VHP party, will be strongly opposed by president Brunswijk's party.
The VHP wants that elected officials can have no criminal convictions, whether it be in Surinam, or somewhere abroad.

This would mean that president Brunswijk can no longer be elected, nor can former president Bouterse.
Both have been convicted in absentia in the Netherlands for smuggling (huge amounts of) cocaine.
That's pretty flawed, though. In such an absolute form, it means that, eg, Russia could disqualify candidates in Suriname at will by conducting show trials in absentia. Better to limit it to convictions which are valid in Suriname, but establish parity with trusted partner countries, which would certainly include Holland.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73