Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading Games (ie. Patrician, Port Royale etc.)  (Read 1859 times)

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading Games (ie. Patrician, Port Royale etc.)
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:59:38 am »

I'm wondering what people think the best trading game is. I've always wanted to get into the genre but never really had the time. I like the way trading is intertwined with politics in Patrician III but found that most of what the player actually does seems to be busywork in Patrician. Are there any trading games that cut down on the busywork the player has to perform without delegating strategic decisionmaking to the AI?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Games (ie. Patrician, Port Royale etc.)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:22:31 pm »

M.U.L.E

An oldy but a goody. You can get an NES version (or the reportedly better AI-wise c64 version) easily, on any platform. There's also PC/web ports of the game.

Only 4 resources, but what you do with them is great. Games are quick (45min-1hr single player), there's 4-player hotseat or internet multiplayer available, and it really makes you feel like your trading matters. Mostly as a way to screw over other players.

It's a competitive/co-operative format, where the colony needs a certain baseline of resources to win (so you can't completely destroy the competition), but you still want to come in first place. Resources have a value at the end of the game, but fluctuate depending on supply and demand throughout the game and on store stocks (you can sell to other players or the publicly accessible store).

Resources are food (for turn times, 3/4/5 needed for max time), energy (needed to run any Mule that doesn't make energy), smithore (needed to make more Mules) and crys-x (highly price-volatile good only used for trading/cash).

There's three sorts of terrain, each good at producing one thing (mountains=ore, river=food, energy=plains), with crys-x being distributed randomly over all three types (but in a "hotspot" pattern from high concentration to low). Land/terrain plots are gained one per turn in a button mashing race, from auctions, and occasionally won/lost from random events. Money is also a resource, used for buying land at auctions and as the standard intermediatory tool for trading (it's money).

If you have spare time after buying/outfitting/allocating Mules to your land plots, you can go and hunt wumpuses for some extra cash (truly the sport of kings), or go to the pub and gamble (just a little cash bonus).

At the end of each turn there's a multiplayer auction where you leverage your resources while retaining/purchasing basic stocks for next turn. Essentially, buy cheap, sell dear, create resource monopolies, profit from random events, and screw over other players (while just giving them enough to make sure the colony survives at the end, with you as its glorious leader).

There's economies of scale, repeated production bonuses, etc, to get massive amounts of resources harvested. Each game is 12 turns long, with the winner decided at the end, based on gross worth.

Don't mind the graphics, they're perfectly serviceable. Download the NES version on an emulator to try it out (though the AI is dumb in that one). Fun in single player, awesome in multiplayer. You can temporarily lose friends due to profiteering bastardry with this one. It's that good :)

(Never promise anyone anything. You will go back on your word)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:39:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 04:30:21 pm »

There's a somewhat solid and properly licensed remake of M.U.L.E. here: http://www.planetmule.com/

Edit: Also free.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:50:12 pm »

A sims-style family management game with trading/crime/politics/etc. that I could recommend is The Guild 2 Renaissance. Get Renaissance, ignore pirates and the base game as TG2R is standalone and contains all the gameplay from both earlier games. It's quite buggy and stuff, but there's a "beta" patch you can opt into that fixes a ton, or you could look up mod packs to fix the issues.

It might be smaller scale then what you're looking for, but it's one of my favorites. I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price though, wait until a sale, get it cheap and fix it up.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 07:19:49 pm »

M.U.L.E
[snip]

I love M.U.L.E. It's one of my favourite games of all time! If only there were more like it...

A sims-style family management game with trading/crime/politics/etc. that I could recommend is The Guild 2 Renaissance. Get Renaissance, ignore pirates and the base game as TG2R is standalone and contains all the gameplay from both earlier games. It's quite buggy and stuff, but there's a "beta" patch you can opt into that fixes a ton, or you could look up mod packs to fix the issues.

It might be smaller scale then what you're looking for, but it's one of my favorites. I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price though, wait until a sale, get it cheap and fix it up.

I also like the Guild 2 although it has a bit too much busywork for me. Also many stupid bugs. The most fun I had in it was when criminals kidnapped my wife as she was leaving church and then I refused to pay her ransom so many times that they just released her for free! I think the game would probably be better in multiplayer, but the interface is so bad that I can't be bothered to teach anyone to play it...

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:51:37 pm »

Sadly in multiplayer the save games get out of sync a lot, which is at first manageable by saving shortly after then sending the save to your friend, but eventually they get way too frequent later on in the save that it becomes unplayable.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 07:55:23 pm »

ptw

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:00:45 pm »

Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons

...  You need a SNES emulator though...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:04:27 pm »

Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons

...  You need a SNES emulator though...

I have it on wii virtual console! Actually this is a trading game I did get into for a while, I got deepest into the Ottoman character, the one on the trading path. I've wanted to do a run as the pirate lady, maybe I'll do that...