Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: SORRY!  (Read 8245 times)

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Never Split the Party: Grey Version (4/4)
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2016, 11:53:09 am »

Zen attempts to get up and knifehand strike the adversary's arm.
[1] You try to slice your opponent, but over-extend, leaving yourself open for an easy counter. Smugness is painted all over his face as he sends a small dagger right at your throat. He doesn't miss entirely, but you are bleeding profusely just the same.

"How slow can you be? I mean, really. Meanwhile, I'm just getting started. You could always save us both the trouble and kill yourself."

((Rolled a one. For the remainder of this fight, -1 to all rolls.))

I was never really good aether....if it's not obvious Haha......so now that improved you need to improve your cells can you take me to a better one?

((I'm not even sure what's happening here.))

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: Never Split the Party: Grey Version (4/4)
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:41 pm »

OOC: As a force engine does has Zen been getting positive modifiers at all during the fight?

I was never really good aether....if it's not obvious Haha......so now that improved you need to improve your cells can you take me to a better one?

((I'm not even sure what's happening here.))
I think that's dialogue, so you can respond in kind with dialogue or whatever.

In general has anyone been getting positive modifiers by doing things related to their class? Are we miss interpreting our classes? I think AbstractTraitorHero has been doing shadowy things, but failed on a majority of them. I fine with difficult games, RNGs, and bad luck, but Never mind, I think I'm just complaining to about the RNG. :P

Actually here are some suggestions:

I think this should be less minimalist. Give more description of people, places, and things so you can flesh out the world more. For me, something about this game feels off. An original and unfamiliar setting (correct if I am wrong) without description makes it harder for one to easily envision. Also I think there should more partying. Maybe I'm being too hasty, but I actually hope Zen ends up in a cell next Kana so our characters can interact. The game is not bad, but I feel these things could improve the experience. I'll post/double post an IC hopefully soon.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Never Split the Party: Grey Version (3/4)
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2016, 12:47:27 pm »

Before I begin, let me thank you for the criticism. It was done in an intelligent and respectful way, and I'm big on self-improvement. I crave criticism so I can get better and get that much closer to perfection. But enough self-aggrandising from me. Moving on!

OOC: As a force engine does has Zen been getting positive modifiers at all during the fight?
No, he has not. I've been purely going on the d20. The original system was going to give modifiers/penalties for classes, but I put that on the backburner for a pure d20 minimalist RTD. The point was for me to ease into a more mechanically inclined system. Zen SHOULD be getting modifiers for melee combat, in theory, for his class.

In general has anyone been getting positive modifiers by doing things related to their class? Are we miss interpreting our classes? I think AbstractTraitorHero has been doing shadowy things, but failed on a majority of them. I fine with difficult games, RNGs, and bad luck, but Never mind, I think I'm just complaining to about the RNG. :P
So far, the only positive modifiers have been for [20]s. Since we're not using d6, and we're using a more sandboxy system, the [20] is more of a reward-critical hybrid, where you get interesting bonuses (maybe a small group of followers who give you extra rolls per turn) outside of combat. I did this because you can't critically make a sandwich or drink tea. Plus, it gives more flavour to this RTD, in that a [20] will always be something positive. The drawback is that you can't modify a [20]. If you were given a +1 bonus and you land a [19], it's a [19], not [19] + [1]. I think that retains the "oh shit random fun!" factor.

Actually here are some suggestions: I think this should be less minimalist. Give more description of people, places, and things so you can flesh out the world more. For me, something about this game feels off. An original and unfamiliar setting (correct if I am wrong) without description makes it harder for one to easily envision. Also I think there should more partying. Maybe I'm being too hasty, but I actually hope Zen ends up in a cell next Kana so our characters can interact. The game is not bad, but I feel these things could improve the experience. I'll post/double post an IC hopefully soon.
You're talking full-on DnD shit? Like stats and all that? I thought people preferred freeform RPGs here. Might have misjudged. I do agree with you and admit that because the setting is so original, you're all going to have a hard time going from European to Asian/mystic/Egyptian/Polynesian. It's hardly ever been done. I'd go as far as saying never been done. Anyway, I'm open to (more) suggestions. How mechanical do you want it? I want to keep enough freedom in for y'all to enjoy it and not make it too linear.

I was hoping you'd all meet up in Terminus, but I didn't want to metagame and sidetrack you from whatever plans/arcs you wanted to explore with your characters. In any case, thanks for letting know how my GMing is. I'll be making sure to put some more quality in the updates and look forward to your input regarding mechanics. I have one in mind but it might be torture. It's a -x penalty for rolls where x = the number of people not in a party. In a four-player game, if you only have one other partier, you get a -2 roll penalty (since you lack 2 more people). Again, though about doing that before but scrapped it last minute.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2016, 12:48:50 pm »

((I barely know either but she basically went out to tell that guy off for being a bad guard and now I thinks she's going back to her cell....))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2016, 01:06:23 pm »

((I see.))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2016, 01:08:15 pm »

((It's really funny to her.))

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2016, 01:09:53 pm »

Green blood evacuates Zen's neck. His eyes widen. A hiss spews out a misting of green, fear, and anger. The bleeding Kirin tries to grab a table and ram it against his opponent.
Max avatar size is 80x80

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2016, 01:33:09 pm »

((I think the current RTD mechanics are fine. The way it is now, it seems the set up of game is that the player characters' lives are left to the whim of the RNG and their only not purely luck based solution is combat. Even then, their combat skills are limited to one class so they must band together to help cover their gaps in combat. I think it creates a rather interesting type of game. The world is a randomish ride they must travel on and can only attempt to efficiently diverge it through their limited spectrum of skills. That's at least what I think the game presents.

Once again, the mechanics can be minimalistic, but I think more flavor and fluff text would be great. It doesn't have to be paragraphs, but a few sentences once in a while to introduce a new place or person can have players focus on a certain detail in their environment and take an action regarding it. This can sometimes more easily facilitate stories and presents things to do in the sandbox. I have trouble thinking of all the elements of a game, but that's fine. If we all keep trucking along, I think this game can continue to be fun and interesting.))

Edit: Then again, my gming experiences are rather sparse so these ideas are... best guesses?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:37:03 pm by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »

((I agree!))

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2016, 01:52:30 pm »

((I think the current RTD mechanics are fine. The way it is now, it seems the set up of game is that the player characters' lives are left to the whim of the RNG and their only not purely luck based solution is combat. Even then, their combat skills are limited to one class so they must band together to help cover their gaps in combat. I think it creates a rather interesting type of game. The world is a randomish ride they must travel on and can only attempt to efficiently diverge it through their limited spectrum of skills. That's at least what I think the game presents.

Once again, the mechanics can be minimalistic, but I think more flavor and fluff text would be great. It doesn't have to be paragraphs, but a few sentences once in a while to introduce a new place or person can have players focus on a certain detail in their environment and take an action regarding it. This can sometimes more easily facilitate stories and presents things to do in the sandbox. I have trouble thinking of all the elements of a game, but that's fine. If we all keep trucking along, I think this game can continue to be fun and interesting.))

Edit: Then again, my gming experiences are rather sparse so these ideas are... best guesses?

((Exactly! It's a cooperative type of game. I give you freedom with your class, but you're horribly limited to just that class and need to rely on each other to get the job done. Hence "Never Split the Party". Y'all are takin' Ls right now because you're doing your own thing. If you can link up somehow, that should change. I am going to be putting in more flavour and worldbuilding information, but I can't really do much to introduce new things when one of you is currently in a fight whilst fatally wounded and the other is doing something I'm not even sure I understand. I appreciate it though, and will be making this game better in time. Update to follow in a second post.))

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2016, 02:06:32 pm »

Green blood evacuates Zen's neck. His eyes widen. A hiss spews out a misting of green, fear, and anger. The bleeding Kirin tries to grab a table and ram it against his opponent.

[20] You place both hands on the round wooden table to get your bearings. Thick green fluid pours out of your neck and your mouth. Your attacker seems to think that "I've won this already. You weren't even much of a cha--oof!" You ram the table into his stomach. The surprise and weight of the table catch him off-guard, knocking the wind out of his body. All he can do is hiss as you continue to push, taking him with the table to meet the wall. Your physical strength as a Force Engine proves its significance, as you crush your attacker, effectively sandwiching him between the table and the wall. He begins to struggle and panic at first, much like a human who cannot expel CO2 from their respiratory system, but the pressure wins and he yields to death. He is now meeting the Perfect.

Your breathing is heavy, almost feral. You're still bleeding. Everyone in the tea shop is now looking at you, absorbing what just happened.

Spoiler: Fun Fact (click to show/hide)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2016, 02:24:24 pm »

Walk back to the cell casually turn into shadow to get past em.

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2016, 02:33:23 pm »

Walk back to the cell casually turn into shadow to get past em.

((Um...you realise this RTD is about teaming up, yes?))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2016, 02:41:40 pm »

((Yes I do I just have a feeling it will happen in a round about way plus my character would have no idea where to go to meet the other characters so I figure she'll eventually end up near them this way.))

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2016, 02:46:48 pm »

((I get that. Just not tracking the whole picture.))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8