Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Condense the emotions and ingredients lists.  (Read 1448 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Condense the emotions and ingredients lists.
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:55:22 am »

Often, when a dwarf has a lot of things effecting his emotions, the list become huge and impenetrable.

For example: http://i.imgur.com/SogJcWy.png

Instead of the huge wall of text, it might be better for it to say "He didn't feel anything after seeing 5 trolls and 25 goblins die"

Foods also can get a similarly long list of ingredients which can be condensed similarly.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Condense the emotions and ingredients lists.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:38 am »

Or perhaps remove "He didn't feel anything after seeing {creature} die." from being a status-worthy emotion.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:14 pm »

Post  of agreement.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:04:45 pm »

I assumed that wall of text was temporary and that it would be changed sooner or later. In other words, I thought

it was inevitable.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:58:40 pm »

"He felt satisfied after slaughtering an animal."

Better watch out for that one.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 01:58:06 am »

I wouldn't mind if you had the OPTION of seeing a longer list

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:28 am »

I wouldn't mind if you had the OPTION of seeing a longer list
I like that. For fear of creating more details, you could even have all of the stats like this: A header that, with the push of a button, could be opened up to reveal the details. It'd be more button-pushing, but would also make the screen easier on the eyes.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:40:48 am »

Definitely one of the things that should be implemented, but I'd like to add the undead to the list. I can understand mentioning specific body parts that are rotting off if the creature is in a state of half-decay, but really, if >90% of a creature is decaded and rotting (or burning, or whatever else) there doesn't need to be several paragraphs listing everything. Lengthy paragraphs or lists of any superfluous, repetitive data should be condensed.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 09:25:42 pm »

Definitely one of the things that should be implemented, but I'd like to add the undead to the list. I can understand mentioning specific body parts that are rotting off if the creature is in a state of half-decay, but really, if >90% of a creature is decaded and rotting (or burning, or whatever else) there doesn't need to be several paragraphs listing everything. Lengthy paragraphs or lists of any superfluous, repetitive data should be condensed.
I can just imagine the internal dialog of a dwarf when you click on the option for further details.

"Well, the fetid rotting corpse had a rotting nose, rotting right upper arm skin, rotting right forearm skin, rotting ..."

Basically, I'd hope that each condensed item was its own expandable item, so expanding the list of work-related thoughts doesn't deluge the player in minutiae about every goblin from the last siege.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 11:22:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just happened to be playing normally, and found a great example for why this should be implemented. 4 out of the 7 citizens I've checked the thoughts screen of have this problem, and the other 3 have half of the screen taken up by crundle thoughts. I was playing a slightly modded game, so there's a few non-vanilla creatures hidden in those thoughts somewhere.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 10:12:04 pm »

Wow with a wall of text that long thats more then enough to drive anyone stark raving mad.