Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How to work?  (Read 4560 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: How to work?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 06:05:12 pm »

@Reelya:

As someone who has firsthand experience, I strongly disagree that you should bump a child back a year because they were born a month early.  Or many months early.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »

A better solution would be staggering the school start times across the year instead of all in January.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 07:53:50 pm »

January?
September, but yeah, half-year incremets would probably work pretty well.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 07:55:41 pm »

School starts in January here.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 07:57:49 pm »

Ah.

It starts in September over here.
Sigtext

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 09:45:34 pm »

August.

So what does ADD medication do to adults at 21 turning 22?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 10:15:13 pm »

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge, the usual effects are increasing alertness/concentration/energy levels; basically why it's prescribed in the first place.
Side effects are generally minor, only making them a problem if there's something they could exacerbate. Includes mental stuff like depression, anxiety, and temper problems, and physiological things like lowered appetite and irritated/inflamed skin.

The main difference between drugs prescribed to children and those to adults is the dosage, normally the drugs won't have particularly different effects unless there's something related to puberty.

I'm not a doctor, so feel free to add a heaping pile of salt, but as far as I can tell there's no need for medication in your case. It absolutely doesn't sound like you're suffering from ADD/ADHD.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 10:28:00 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:50:56 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 05:38:50 am »

I've got one friend with a similar story who decided he'd manage his ADD without medication because of it. I have another friend who takes adderall and has no issues with it, and has achieved a lot of academic success that she would not have otherwise. I'm familiar with her off her medicine, and she's the exact same person except she has trouble concentrating long enough to hold a two minute conversation sometimes. Different people respond in different ways to ADD and to medicines.

There are potential side effects, yes, but medicine often involves navigating those. Women usually pick birth control pills through a process of trial and error to see which one screws with their body the least. ADD meds shouldn't even do that much - you might be a dick for a couple days, but you can stop taking them if you feel bad or act unusual. This period can be unpleasant, but it will be worth it if you find a drug that can help you in the long term.

That said, I'd agree it doesn't sound a ton like you have ADD. You mention only having trouble focusing outside of class, but my friends seemed to have the most trouble with school. Work seemed like a bit less of an issue. But you might be handling things differently, and I'm just someone on the internet, so I'd still recommend getting a psychologist's opinion - even if you don't have ADD it'll probably be a good experience.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2016, 08:30:04 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:50:40 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge, the usual effects are increasing alertness/concentration/energy levels; basically why it's prescribed in the first place.

I've heard it's akin to the effects of Cocaine and Meth but on a much slower and milder timeline. Per dosage, anyways. It get this from adults who have taken it recreationally. I've never really felt the urge to try it. Having tried some powders in my time though, I can guess at some of the effects.

Which is why I recommend against it. I'm a big believer in addressing your problems in the moment without medication. Drugs and working seriously should not mix, because it's not you. It's an altered you, and if you need drugs to work, that's the text book definition of chemical dependence. And you only sign up for chemical dependence when you actually, legitimately, need it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 02:07:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »

Okay so things just keep going the way they have been for the last weeks.

My boss has at least let go of the last thing laptop thing today but I'm still not doing any better. I'm still slow and while today I have an excuse I can feel she just dosen't trust me. Or my coworkers for that matter.

My greatest fear and what Nenjin warned of 'just let me do it' happened today. After failing to contact dell for support in getting our warranty to get us a new screen she just did it herself. I remember saying on the chat screens how the screen was broken and trying to get their help to fix it but they woudn't budge. When she did it she said something along the line of 'dead pixels' made a phone call and got it fixed. I wasn't at the process and didn't see the whole thing but for FRACKS sake. This is frustrating.

An just to end the day I go up to try and fix a laptop but when she called in she gave me the advice to re-image it. I go back out our office only to remember that our servers were down (no ones fault). It was already over my time limit but I really wanted to at least get that done but no dice. In the end, she raised her voice at me and asked me where I was and so on. I felt I had a good alibi but she her look is one of..idk. Not good. But also trying to look away to not show I feel.

I don't understand how to be faster, learn faster, and do better. I'm not getting better and their attitudes are beyond frustrating. An I understand but still can't do dirt about anything. Hell I volunteered to do an event that they needed me in where my other boss vouched for me to be good (i'm wearing a mascot outfit. Out IT dept at our school does IT and Media/Events) and I feel good about it. But the tech side..no.

Part of me wants to quite but I need the money for the future and I like having money in my pocket. I've gone online to look for help in 'how to be faster' at work but people have no answers except doing what I do already or saying 'their imperfect and it's not your fault' or some none sense.

At 22 this is just aggravating. I've done so good in school and in other things, and heard that I would be okay in life but this is NOT okay. I'm not normal apparently because no one else seems to have this problem. Hell even my co workers don't trust me that much anymore I feel.

Re-reading though the thread but I have to ask again. What CAN I do to get better?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 05:32:01 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:39:14 pm by Vector »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 06:28:03 pm »

Yeah, don't quit. Yet.

You may have just gotten the bad luck of landing in an IT department that isn't newbie friendly. Because face it, that's what you are. Your monitor story is enlightening. Your manager went to the explanation that resulted the fastest in it not being your or her problem anymore. Dead pixels? Warranty it. She was frustrated because you spent all this time earnestly looking at the problem like you could fix it, when probably 30 seconds for her would have determined the least painful, least time consuming way to solve a problem. (She also probably has experience running warranties through, and having been on plenty of corporate software websites, that's not insignificant knowledge.) Hell the way you describe it, her answer may not even be the right answer. But maybe your boss is more interested in clearing out problems than actually solving them correctly.

And that tells me your department feels over worked, and yes, newbies can be an aggravation in that environment. I got irritated at our new hire today when a call came in at like 5:04 on her phone and she went "Oh, oh, oh, I just logged out of the call queue!" Well.....it's still ringing on your bloody phone, so ANSWER IT. But no, instead I went "Just let it fail over to me and I'll take it" even though it was after 5 and I had already clocked out. So I just took the call, over her trying to say she could take it.

Truth is, I was already worked up talking about another work issue (the fact we have zero boundaries with our customers so they'll call up and say shit like "Hey I just bought this new piece of software you've never heard of. Install it and set it up for me") so I was already in a bad mood. Was it fair for me to get waspish with her? No. Was I able to realize that at the time? No.

Your boss likely has the same thing going on. Busy tech places are fully of people feeling overworked and patience is thin. Your department probably? deals with work-a-day in and out repetitive tech tasks, so small issues like this are swept under the rug so to speak just to get them out of the way.

It was already over my time limit but I really wanted to at least get that done but no dice. In the end, she raised her voice at me and asked me where I was and so on. I felt I had a good alibi but she her look is one of..idk. Not good. But also trying to look away to not show I feel.

Well, what are your overtime rules? It is not a good sign when you feel you need an alibi or your boss thinks you need one. That is a bad sign of them suspecting you as a layabout.

Hell I volunteered to do an event that they needed me in where my other boss vouched for me to be good (i'm wearing a mascot outfit. Out IT dept at our school does IT and Media/Events) and I feel good about it. But the tech side..no.

Note the complete difference in attitude between your two bosses. It comes as no surprise to me that your "other boss" on the non-tech side has no issues with you.

Sorry I don't have any solutions to you. In truth it just takes grit and a willingness to accept stress, pretty much what Vector is getting at. In some ways learning to survive work as an adult is like trying to survive highschool as a teen. You lack the control of your surroundings but you gotta be there anyways, whether by law or so you can eat or so you can become a grown ass man.

What really did it for me was pride, if nothing else. I refused to feel weak-willed or to cave to pressure. I focused on my shit and castigated myself for not meeting my own standards when I failed. My bosses currently say "Look man, we don't ever need to come down on you for not working/screwing up. You come down on yourself plenty." Pride enough to say "Look man, I know I'm new and I don't know shit about shit. But don't look down on me for it, work with me." If you both lack the knowledge and skills to do your job and well and the backbone to show you care, people will walk all over you. They will treat you like a whipping boy. They will vent their unpleasant emotions on you because they don't respect you. The fact your boss is effectively challenging you to justify yourself and you look away....you're sending all the wrong signals, like you've got something to hide or you're too weak to defend yourself.

You can't control your coworkers. You can't control the flow of business. The only thing you can control is yourself and how you respond to things. I say this with caution but....maybe get a little angry. Get a little intense. Get some testosterone flowing. Attack your work. You want respect? You have to earn it in their eyes, they won't simply give it to you because you're nice. Tech is a job where people need to know things and do things and eventually do them quickly and handle complications. If you want respect you have to meet those criteria. Because you may not get fired...but if you ever want to feel good about yourself at work, you have to rise to the occasion.

PS - Irony. In the middle of writing this post my mom calls to talk about her retirement plans, her on-going war of words with a sexist, mean-spirited department head she's been fighting with for years, her new attitude of "you know what? FUCK WORK." Basically the polar opposite of this conversation here. For decades she's had a protestant work ethic to the point she didn't know how to let go because she took her job too seriously. And she just finally figured it out I think.

Your problem seems to be you are unable to grab hold. Hopefully you can experience a revelation too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:30:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 08:41:04 pm »

No, I have two bosses.

How do I say this..by military terms I have a sergeant (the woman) and a commander (the other boss who's a dude). They're both tech workers. As for stressed out workers? They're both tech guys and the other boss who was mentioned is the 'director' who's worked IT for so many years and knows a bunch of shit too. When things go really bad or we are really stumped he's the man. I want to say kinda like you nenjin but I don't know you well enough to say. Suffice he's a cool boss (if you get your shit done) who helps you out when he can. So is she but again, she's been harder to work with for awhile now.

Ya we almost always have some kind of event to set up for, pictures, stay and work make sure things work, and/or bad problems to fix. Heck we have a VERY old proffesor who keeps asking about changing the web page on the webiste out of his personal tastes. Despite us telling him for years, he just keeps asking (from what i'm told) and recently asked me to do it for him behind my boss's back (which I can't do nor would I tbh).

Also yeah, just doing the job seems to be her model. Than again I CANT F-ING do that for her. I have to troubleshoot. Troubleshooting just takes time with me. An yeah warrany is something I only did once and the second time she just told me 'ya just do the dell chat thing er something'. Not exactly words but pretty much really it. She's busy and I get it. I just don't know why i'm so bad at working and I think Vector has the best point of all: Your learning skills for how to hold a job.

Trust me I would get angry but the boss lady use to be a teacher and two her students are on the job. I'm not scared of them but she's way chiller with them then with me (again understandable). If I were to snap at them/her I just look bad. They do more then me and know more. An they almost always have a reason to get amped. Today I felt that wasn't one though.

Um, overtime is wierd. See i'm not a 'normal' worker i'm a 'student assistant' who technically works for the federal goverment because it's actually them through the dept of education that pays me. How it works is that my IT dept has one slot for a student tech (which is me) that the Fed pays for to be filled. The fed says I can only work 15 hours and they get angry when I go over. BUT they almost always allow me to change my hours after I've worked them. Say for instance, I worked 2 minuites more after two weeks, we change that out so that I get what i'm suppose to earn. If I go over and they don't swap that out the fed gets mad because it's federal money (tax payer?) not school money that's lost.

Idk how best to describe it but overtime is no bueno because it makes the financial people angry.

I'm going to hold on but only really for the life skills/money. Really mostly the money because i'm getting into wh40k now. *shamefully materialistic inside*

I really want to blow up in her face one day when she IS wrong though. Unprofesional and will get you fired but I am vengeful. I don't like my mistakes being called out 3 times for no reason other then to emphasize how shitty I did when I know so. Especially since two of those times was in front of people to (at least from what I can make sense out of) make me feel bad or to make her self feel like she has the upper hand. Apologies for the salt but damn do I want a good line.

Also sorry about your moms work issues. Has she thought of working as a solo entrepreneur?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4