Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How to work?  (Read 4559 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
How to work?
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:58:59 pm »

I've had 5 jobs thus far. Two said jobs were in Wendy's and some other fast food joint that I was only lasted 3 days (hated feeling that I wasn't being taught and yelled at for said things.) another two jobs were in Marshalls and Khols were I felt I lasted much longer until the either the season hit or I had to leave because of the work week being only ONE day of work for only 4 hours.

My 5th and latest job that I still hold is in my college's IT department, who also handles the schools Media. The job is typical IT from what I understand typical IT to be: Troubleshoot issues, attempt to fix if you know whats wrong, if no idea Google, and sometimes we have to go set up for school events. It's by far much nicer than the last jobs I've had in terms of hours, enviroment (friendly co-workers), and It's much closer to my major then working in fast food or retail. Which is all nice but I keep screwing up in rediculous ways.

Today I felt I was having an excellent day. I got things done as far as time allowed me until I was asked to set up some laptops for an event. I set up the laptops but I didn't plug in the power, or lock them down, and just left some laptops without printers. This whole process was for 8 laptops and I only hit 6 or 7 and even they weren't correct. The entire thing was suppose to take 20 minuites according to my boss who was very disapointed. What's worse is that ive done the process before but I just don't remember how to do it and I've been feeling lately that the co-workers really do look down on me for my slowness. It's gone from 'cartpusher' to 'boys aren't dumb only cartpushers are dumb' to quote a saying today. Because of things like that, because I feel they just aren't respecting me as an IT worker I try to fix things solo without help and even that fails. Also ya I know I just said they're friendlier but hey it's IT people, they want shit done. Period. An they are good for help but..I just feel they're getting annoyed with helping me with every step of everything.

I remember getting help and thinking I had the issue under control with the laptops today but I just didn't. I don't know where I went wrong or how to do better next time despite having done this before.

I feel retarded and worthless because It just feels that the time until they say 'fuck it' and let me go is getting closer. I'm not in need of the job to survive thankfully but it's a great job to have lost considering what awaits me outside and the loss of such a nice resume piece. I don't want to lose this job despite the schedule (which is only 15 hours no big deal).

In a way, I've gone through life after high school with just a 'well it's just retail who cares really?' when I've been let go for the season or quit at fast food for it's..fast paced work enviroment. IDK how else to call it but I feel if this continues I'm either going to face homelessness or suacide. An knowing myself I'd rather pick death than live in a box. The fact that i'm 21 and stressing this also dosen't help nor seeing my father divorce an going to live in an apartment either...

Any advice on how to work better and keep my job? Or on how to win the respect of my peers that's not kissing up to them?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to work?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 06:19:14 pm »

Work your ass off and ask for help liberally.

Start carrying a notepad, do your best to take notes for the proper steps to complete all of your difficult tasks. Go over what you did every day once you're done. Learn learn learn.

You're not an idiot, you're just trying to get better. Decent people respect that.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:23:30 pm »

Today I felt I was having an excellent day. I got things done as far as time allowed me until I was asked to set up some laptops for an event. I set up the laptops but I didn't plug in the power, or lock them down, and just left some laptops without printers. This whole process was for 8 laptops and I only hit 6 or 7 and even they weren't correct. The entire thing was suppose to take 20 minuites according to my boss who was very disapointed. What's worse is that ive done the process before but I just don't remember how to do it and I've been feeling lately that the co-workers really do look down on me for my slowness. It's gone from 'cartpusher' to 'boys aren't dumb only cartpushers are dumb' to quote a saying today. Because of things like that, because I feel they just aren't respecting me as an IT worker I try to fix things solo without help and even that fails. Also ya I know I just said they're friendlier but hey it's IT people, they want shit done. Period. An they are good for help but..I just feel they're getting annoyed with helping me with every step of everything.

I know your feels. I started with my company 4 years ago basically only having the skills I learned playing video games: basic Windows knowledge, basic troubleshooting, the ability to search Google and read, the ability to read a software menu without going cross-eyed. All the things I had to learn: our software, MySQL, writing queries, manipulating data, bash command lines, and a whole host of other software, I had to learn on the job.

I often felt like I was looked down on by people at work because of my lack of tech skills compared to them. The truth is a lot of that was in my head. Yeah, someone may be annoyed on a given day because you need help and helping you is cutting into their time, adding to their workload, etc....

But you're right: tech people want shit done and if getting it done involves teaching or re-teaching you something, they'll do it. Because it still means they don't have to do it themselves. I'm actually dealing with a new hire right now, a late 40s early 50s woman who is not that tech savvy and came from providing tech support to a church pipe organ retailer. She's used to speaking to pastors and church wives and hasn't ever dug as deeply into software as she is now. She's maybe been on the job 4 months now and while I do wish she had more skills and generally a less flighty personality, and wasn't as helpless sometimes as she is.....she's learning. And shit, how can I really hold it against her? I was in the same place when I started here. I like that she can confidently ask for help because we've told her it's not just ok to, it's required. Because the sooner she learns how to do it, the sooner she can stop asking how to do it.

So here's what I did what I was new, and what I do to this day:

-Always phrase your requests for help as an actual request, not a demand. Most people who need help often don't think they're being demanding. But consider the two following lines:

"I need help getting this computer on the network because I can't figure out Windows Home Groups"

vs.

"Hey when you have time, can you take a look at this computer with me? Trying to get it on the network but the Windows Home Group is giving me a hard time."

One implies "Drop everything you're doing and help me." The other explicitly states "When you're ready." It makes them feel like their decision to help you when they help you is a choice, not a responsibility. The latter also gives the impression that maybe if they don't help, you'll figure it out. Suddenly people are a lot more willing to help when they think they're just pitching into the solution, not becoming responsible for it. Always, always, always demonstrate you're respectful of other people's time. Don't grovel, don't suck up, don't lay it on too thick. But always demonstrate respect for the time they give you. And always say thank you when they have helped.

-I make checklists. I spend a lot of my days now setting up customer servers from scratch. From installing windows, to installing our software, to troubleshooting networking problems once the server lands where it's going to live. I have a terrible memory. So I make check lists ahead of time, while my head is still clear and I'm not running 1000mph trying to get it done. They help me stay on track when there are literally 15 big steps in the process, and dozens and dozens of smaller steps in-between, and screwing up one can present a problem down the line later.

-I use a wiki. Does your IT department maintain a wiki? They should. It's criminal to run a tech outfit where the knowledge base isn't online somewhere. If there is a wiki, start documenting printer install processes (god I hate printers so much.) It will save you hours of frustration over the long term if you have a reliable, repeatable list of things to try and you've documented common problems you've run into (User Account Control, Windows Share Settings, alternatives to the standard "Add a Printer" Wizard, etc....) Granted, how you make a wiki article might be vastly different than how someone with experience would write it. But experience will come later for you, eventually. So use a wiki as an idiot's guide for yourself. Believe it or not, if you do move on from this job, that wiki article might still be there years later saving some other poor bastard from the experience you're living right now.

-The best way to earn the respect of your peers is to care. I'm not saying have a melt down to prove how much you care about your performance but....I'm the sort of person that wears their emotions on their sleeve. When I'm angry or frustrated, I can't hide it. When I'm disappointed in myself, I can't hide it. When I'm happy! I can't hide it. When I'm in Get Shit Done Mode, it's obvious. The best way to earn their respect is to show you care by being involved, taking responsibility for your mistakes. (Did you not get 3 laptops set up? Then tell your boss that's the first thing you're going to do in the morning, is rectify your mistake. Did you not get those printers sorted out? Well you know what you're doing with your day tomorrow.) Your co-workers don't care that you're the best. They care that you're competent enough it doesn't constantly interrupt their day's workflow, or that your problems don't land squarely on their plate to solve.

-Own your problems. When there's a problem, declare that it's your problem. That doesn't prevent you from seeking help but it puts implementing the solution on you and nobody else. Here's an example: Your on a workstation. You can't find the networked printer it should connect to. You seek some help. Now, stop. Did you get out of your chair so they could drive at the PC? That's a mistake. Your ass is in the seat solving the problem, they're standing behind your shoulder giving you advice, pointers, ideas for things to look at. That means when they're ready, they can walk away and your butt is still in the seat, handling the problem. When you should be worried is when you start hearing the phrase "Just move out of the way and let me do it." That means they really have lost confidence in you and know that it's better for them to just solve the problem themselves instead of investing in you by trying to teach you how to solve it.

-Decide when you cannot solve a problem yourself, with what you know. In tech this is an especial problem because the solution is always elusively out there. Maybe if you just try a better worded Google search, dig through one more forum for that magic post that matches your problem, maybe if you just try configuring one more thing....You can drive yourself mad hammering away at a problem from 10 different angles, not finding a solution but feeling like you just can't give up. It generates a ton of stress on a body. Since you're the IT department you ostensibly have full control over everything but that doesn't mean YOU have full control over everything. Say, for example, the reason you can't network a printer is because the group policy is misconfigured. You could spend 4 hours googling the problem, restarting the computer and eventually failing before realizing you don't even have the admin credentials to make those changes in the first place. Suddenly, it's not your fault this computer can't get networked to a printer, it's the responsibility of the guy with Windows admin credentials to re-configure the group policy. Sometimes printers are just fucked, too, by hook or by crook. Or as another example, the computer was never added to the domain/home group/whatever and you lack both the knowledge how to do it properly, and the passwords to make it happen. By just discovering that problem and telling the right person about it, you've met your end of the bargain.

-Turning it off and on again never hurts either ;)

At my job, which can go from dead and fuck-off-y to "crisis mode pressure cooker" in an instant, what I look for most in co-workers in tech support is that they 1) care and 2) aren't satisfied to just let someone "handle" the day to day stuff they should know. If they bring those two things with them, even if they require help often, they're still an asset because I know they'll doggedly stay on a problem and hold up their end of the employment bargain. Even if they don't succeed at the end of the day, the fact they tried means they can still grow and eventually become more competent.

So good luck to you. I know how bad it is to feel mentally incompetent at a tech job and worry that you're looked down on. Working with smart people can be tough sometimes, you feel the pressure to rise to their level and feel bad when you don't. My managers spent a lot of time reassuring me that whatever derps or fails I had (and I've had at least one major one), no one I work with holds it against me. I still have to convince myself of that sometimes, especially after a really bad day like it sounds like you had. But you can always learn and get better! And for god's sake document that shit so you don't have to go through the same thing every time it comes up.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:58:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:48:41 pm »

~Snip~

Well I have been hearing the 'just let me do it' phrase but I think only once.

In all likelihood I'm feeling better after just playing video games for a bit and looking over some checklists I may be doing later. Nenjin, thank you for advice and i'll remember what you wrote in here when the many many tomorrows come.

Also, I forgot to mention this is something that's been in my head for awhile. While today was most certainly the greatest derp there were more when I first started. I wanted to ask what your opinion on getting atterol (ADD meds) to help me focus in on the job more? My dad and I came to an agreement that my focus isn't very good outside the classroom (21 and still a school boy...dammit) and maybe the drugs can help. Their side affects don't seem to bad at the few glances I've given them but at the same time getting drugs to focus on work seems..a bit try hard for what is a better solution.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:20:58 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:11:27 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 12:03:51 am »

I wouldn't recommend the meds either, personally. I'm generally not one for recommending drugs to solve problems unless they're serious problems those drugs are designed to help with. (Or for recreation ;)) If you're diagnosed ADD, that's a different story. If you can focus in a classroom, you can focus on a job. Sorta sounds like you've never been challenged by your work. You need to learn to do it with zeal, to set a standard for yourself to meet and to let that drive you to do better, work faster and retain information because it's important to your day to day responsibilities, your self-esteem and, if you're ambitious, your success.

My perspective is different I suppose. I got to try a lot of jobs at a young age and was diffident to most of them. Pissed my dad off something fierce, that I wouldn't "get into" anything.

What changed was getting a kitchen job at a busy restaurant. The pressure to perform was intense, even as a dishwasher. There's a mountain of shit you have to get through, a never ending tide of dishes. If you sit there and plod along, you'll be there all night, your table will be overwhelmed, servers won't have anywhere to put new dishes, they'll run out of clean dishes.....

It wasn't a job you could fuck around in. Not like, ya know, retail, which I've also done. You have to work in a kitchen. If you weren't fast you had to get fast or you found yourself unpopular. When I moved up to line cook, it was like a warzone in there. Side-by-side with 7 guys in a 105 degree heat kitchen, sweating your asses off. Everyone shouting. Everyone swearing. Zero tolerance for fuck ups when it was busy, sometimes near fist fights when things were at their craziest and someone had run out of patience with you or how you worked.

So. I learned to deal with all that and it changed my attitude about work forever. Work is a task you attack, to stay ahead of it. It's a mountain to be climbed daily. Every day has its ups and downs, busy not busy, but when it's time to work you focus. You give it your full attention and treat it like a professional would: seriously.

If anything your co-workers might be annoyed because they sense that diffidence, that lack of zeal for your work. Doesn't matter what job you do, if the people that work with you sense you're not really all there with it, it does tend to make one unpopular. It's just different jobs have different degrees of tolerance for it. IT is one of the more forgiving ones.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:05:31 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 12:11:32 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:09:03 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 01:30:34 am »

Start carrying a notepad, do your best to take notes for the proper steps to complete all of your difficult tasks. Go over what you did every day once you're done. Learn learn learn.

Definitely with the notebook, i was just thinking the same. Checklists are your life-saver here. You co-workers will also note that you write everything down and this makes you look earnest rather than sloppy / lazy. Make sure it's in a pocket-sized notebook with a robust cover. If you're forgetting all the time peers might decide you just don't care to learn, whereas if you keep lots of notes in a book that will look better, even when you mess up.

Also for memory retention, reviewing notes is important. And it should be in an active form (e.g. write it out again from memory then see how well you did) rather than a passive form (merely reading the piece of paper again). Additionally, space these review sessions out. There is a thing called the Spacing Effect. Basically, memorizing the same note once per hour for 4 hours is much more effective than trying to read over it 4 times at once: especially when this is in the form of writing out the note again.

Basically, train and test your memory when it's not important and you won't have this unpleasant experience of suddenly remembering you have a bad memory during a critical task.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:44:58 am by Reelya »

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 05:01:25 am »

Any advice on how to work better and keep my job? Or on how to win the respect of my peers that's not kissing up to them?

Yes, do what your boss/bosses tell you to do, even if its wrong and you know it, if task is obviously inefficient suggest your idea or just do it the efficient way (within reason)
If you dont know or remember things always ask, and if needed ask an explanation of how to be more efficient.
Being willing to achive your goals is more important than actually knowing how to.
If you are alone and need help, pull out your phone and search it, if your asked/caught, be honest cause this could lead to getting help for what your researching.

Dont take drugs at, before, the night before, the week before you work
If you seriously feel you need to take drugs to help your culture is getting the better of you, exersise, eat well and take up some sort of hobby (physical), breathing exersises and or meditation.

Remember nobody is great at their job at the start. Hang in there and treat everybody with respect even if you havnt been. It starts somewhere.
We love you
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 05:26:27 am »

And, btw if you really need to tell you boss a better way to do something, do it in a private conversation.

Many managers resent having their judgement/authority undermined in public, and they may even fear that you're aiming for their job. Sure, you boss might end up with the credit for a few of your ideas but they won't see you as a threat.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:42:51 am by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 11:36:11 am »

Yep. I basically got fired from a kitchen job because I verbally called out management for not investing in decent cookware. They had saute pans that had a solid inch of black carbon crust on them. Fucking saute pans.

So I got a brand new saute pan and stared making a quesadilla. A manager came up next to me and started making one himself at the same time in one of the old saute pans.

3 minutes later, I had a beautiful, crisp, golden, delicious-looking quesadilla that I would both be proud to represent and to eat. His looked like it had been cooked in an ashtray and was soggy and floppy and grey. (I also used butter as I was trained while he just used cooking oil.) He threw his away immediately and walked off without saying a word to me.

I was let go 3 days later.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:43:49 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:08:54 pm by Vector »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 04:13:43 pm »

Yep. I basically got fired from a kitchen job because I verbally called out management for not investing in decent cookware. They had saute pans that had a solid inch of black carbon crust on them. Fucking saute pans.

So I got a brand new saute pan and stared making a quesadilla. A manager came up next to me and started making one himself at the same time in one of the old saute pans.

3 minutes later, I had a beautiful, crisp, golden, delicious-looking quesadilla that I would both be proud to represent and to eat. His looked like it had been cooked in an ashtray and was soggy and floppy and grey. (I also used butter as I was trained while he just used cooking oil.) He threw his away immediately and walked off without saying a word to me.

I was let go 3 days later.
Is that even legal? I didn't think you could be fired for something like that.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:50 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:08:46 pm by Vector »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 04:52:59 pm »

What she said. They never would have owned up to the fact they fired me because I was calling out their shit processes. (Seriously they would grill up burgers and leave them in a pan of au jus to keep warm for HOURS before serving them up. Fucking. Disgusting. The line I heard was "Cook up every burger to order? We're too busy for that!" Puhlease. Their dinner and lunch rushes were nothing exceptional from what I'd seen. If I'd pulled that shit in my home town restaurant they would have fired or kicked me off the line in a heartbeat.)

I believe the stated reason they terminated me was I "didn't work well with the restaurant staff." Also total bullshit, as I was drinkin buddies with several of their veteran employees. I was a young 20 something threatening the cushy position of some 45-year-old kitchen manager. I didn't even want his job. I was just offended they'd actually serve food like this to people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4