Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52

Author Topic: The End of Doomforests: The Final Turn that Never came  (Read 94305 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Telling of Doomforest: A History of Cults and Soap
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2016, 11:52:42 am »

Damn, I was getting 16ish FPS after my turn, what the hell happened? I admit I probably contributed to the slowdown of the fort when I raised our metal stocks from ~100 bars to ~5000 bars.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2016, 11:57:09 am »

An actual update, EAT THAT Ye of Little Faith
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2016, 11:58:05 am »

Double Post, ignore
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:17:24 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2016, 12:07:50 pm »

An actual update, EAT THAT Ye of Little Faith
Glad I could be of assistance to you in your efforts to persuade people that Doomforests is more than a set of roleplays occasionally loosely based on what used to happen in a fort.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:23:16 pm by Sacasco »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

Holy fuck is that... actual... gameplay? I'm shocked and amazed at the same time.

PS: Frankensteen is the only dwarf that survived all the way from my first turn. She was the sick dwarf the doctor rescued and nursed back to life for about a year. As to what caused it, it was either Snustrok's blood or the dust from Supergoat. Frankensteen was initially called ''Mister something'', I hardly remember what. We learned much later about het gender and someone renamed her.

Edit: Her original name was Engraver-Guy, minister of health. I got confused with Mister Woodcut (also a girl)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:59:08 pm by Taupe »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile

[OOC] Good to see Doomforests moving on again.

Glad I could be of assistance to you in your efforts to persuade people that Doomforests is more than a set of roleplays occasionally loosely based on what used to happen in a fort.

Speaking of which.... [/OOC]

Journal of Dark Two

While patrolling crowded corridors of Doomforests, Dark Two had a strong feeling of deja-vu. New overseer... again. Something told him that it all happened before, just in slightly different way. He heard dwarves gossiping about a foul murderer sneaking around the fort, Queen getting mad cause outpost liason had a better suite than her or because all the pigs roaming the fortress (and their stench) were irritating - this led to a massive slaughter... at least butchers got in her favor. There were also gossips about a mason stranded in the caverns and a rescue tunnel being dug out to save him... probably not the first time it happens.

Later Dark Two attended to a big party - someone was celebrating naming his spear. He met there Doomforest's broker. He said "Just a minute and I'll be going to my duties, I promise!". Some dwarves made bets if he'll really go...

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, my computer crashed (for only about the second time in a year) at the end of Sandstone, just when I decided to end the update, so events may not unfold exactly the same way as reported here. I’m sure it will be broadly similar, though. I’ll upload this, as I don’t have the heart to re-write it all. (Don’t worry, it’ll take more than that to make me stop playing)

(OOC: I’ve decided to write from now on in first person, as I feel third was a little stilted).
Overseer’s Log: Sandstone, 1071
Libash Semoravuz, Weaponsmith has attempted to “recover wounded” with regards to the Butler. The Butler, however, using those skills of perseverance and a high pain threshold so often useful in domestic service, is having none of it and denies that he is injured.
Having woken from the sleep in which he was attacked by Rovod Romekletmos and then dragged unawares to a hospital bed, he insists upon seeing the nearest authority figure to report the crime. This seems a little unnecessary to me, given that I know exactly what happened, but if it helps a convalescing head of the domestic servants feel better, I’m sure our mayor or queen will be … delighted to hear from him.

As long as I don’t have to deal with it, that’s fine by me.
Hang on, is that two pots in the hospital?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, no, traction benches. My mistake. They look the same.

I am now firmly of the opinion that our broker is lying about being at a party. He is moving erratically in a statue garden with the only person nearby a child I believe he’s roped in to assist him in his deception, so that he can get out of work, as partying whenever desired is a right firmly upheld in dwarven law.
Oh, and now little Mestthos has left. I think myself now justified in breaking up the party and ordering the broker back to work.
The conversation goes something like this:
“Edëm, I - I believe you’d better go and t-trade with the caravan now. Your rights as protected by Section 14 Paragraphs 12-25 do not a-allow parties of one.”
“Section 14? I don’t know any Section 14! I know that any dwarf has the right to party when ‘e likes!”
I feel that having made this spirited defence of my position I needed say no more about it. I was sure Edëm would come around with time.

The fight between mason and crundles has now gone on long enough that the mason is asleep and one of the crundles “over-exerted”. I decide to send a rescue party into the caverns.

Rovod Romekletmos is now chained up where he can do no more harm. I do however have to wonder about the choice of a silver chain. Clearly our metalsmiths are not up to the task of constructing even a basic prison.

Don Pedro is cancelling jobs due to, apparently, being “shaken”. What a pathetic excuse. It might, however, have something to do with having been repeatedly punched by Kevral...

That apparently comes under the heading of “punishing with a beating”. Kevral is reported to have felt “disillusioned”.

The rescue mission has reached Inod Zonzas, the mason caught in the mines! It seems, however, that they are too late to do anything other than avenge him by killing several crundles, as he has vanished off the face of the earth.

Actually, there’s his corpse, but no-one has reported his death to me. Ah well, shouldn’t have been in the caverns.

Oh for Olnen’s sake!

“... Would anyone care to explain to me exactly why we have a peacock wandering around outside with blood on its feet? ... I’m waiting!”
Careful analysis shows that the dwarf whose blood it is is dead. It seems that this is the first skirmish in a shadow war between dwarfkind and peacockkind. I shall be watching for further events with suspicion…

Hang on, could having multiple hospitals be a problem? Knowing the idiocy I’m sure our medical staff perpetrates on a daily basis, almost certainly. However, I doubt they’d do any better with one, so I’ll leave it as it is.
Do mine eyes deceive me? No! His Lazyness Mate The 888th has finally arrived to begin work on Her Majesty’s Quarters. (OOC: No offence, Mate, but you did take nearly two weeks to arrive and I’m not sure even an injured hand can account for that)

Sigh
It seems that Edëm is still at his lonely party with Mestthos…

Has he? Has really? Well he shouldn’t have gone into the caverns then!

An excited dwarf carrying an axe runs up to me.
“L-let me guess. You’ve n-named your shield?”
He doesn’t see the sarcasm apparent in my words.
“Yes! Yes! It’s called Othörrul Afenosram!” And I am unable, despite clear hints, to stop him for the next five minutes.

Hang on a second! The soldiers went into the cavern to deal with the crundles. So there must be a way into there. There are forgotten beasts in the cavern. A way in is also a way out.
I’ll just… check none of those very deadly things can find their way in and kill us all…

Lanami’s cavern seems to be sealed off.

Simo and Irafe seem to be in the other cavern that is also sealed off.
And Ngogngo isn’t a problem.

Forgotten beasts are such untidy things, aren’t they?

I think Doomforests’s militia is up to the task…

OOC:
I seem to have taken a while to find my voice with this character. I hope I have her sorted now.
I’m still only about a month in. I probably need to stop writing so much. But with such low FPS, what is one to do?

EDIT: Apologies to anyone who viewed this within around 10 minutes of me posting. I was being stupid with images.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:01:24 pm by Sacasco »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Heh heh, and they said this fort was dead... Shows them.

I actually pat myself on the back for performing Fortress CPR, I told y'all I could do it

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doomforests will die only when we run out of migrants. When was the last time we had a kid grow up in the fort?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OMG, it lives!  OMG, Frankensteen is still alive!  That dwarf is the fort's oldest inhabitant, even predating the arrival of Minister Smunstu.  In a just world, Frank would be king (queen?) by now.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

OMG, it lives!  OMG, Frankensteen is still alive!  That dwarf is the fort's oldest inhabitant, even predating the arrival of Minister Smunstu.  In a just world, Frank would be king (queen?) by now.

I put toward a vote:

We create a position for her were she gets a Palace and cancel ALL of her labors

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

Frankensteen's physical appearance is probably responsible for half the misery in this fort. Moving her to her own quarters is a wise idea.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would remind the honorable ladies and gentlemen that Frankensteen was a war hero during the reign of Longshanks, selflessly sacrificing her room to trap Shedim aka Snustok Jr., and then lost everything she owned to the Vengeance of Armok.  In recompense, she was granted a large engraved room on the surface level near the Captain of the Guard's quarters.  Never occurred to me she might still be alive, though.  I agree with the vote!  An engraved opulent throne room for Frank.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I definitely support this. Also, being blind, Frankensteen can't really do any job that requires skilled workers. But I think she'd want to keep smoothing walls.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, quick question (for when I finally get there):
I started at the very end of Limestone (month 7). How far do you want me to go? I'm not sure I could do more than 12 months.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52