Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52

Author Topic: The End of Doomforests: The Final Turn that Never came  (Read 96856 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Oh, quick question (for when I finally get there):
I started at the very end of Limestone (month 7). How far do you want me to go? I'm not sure I could do more than 12 months.

Finish that year, then do your own
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile

D3 sat at his desk, with a strange feeling, similar to deja-vu.  He looked at his calendar, and had a bad feeling that something important was going to be happening.  Kronk came in, holding a letter......

Several hours later, after the renegade crundles had been dealt with, he spoke to Hans.  They quickly checked several things and came to an agreement, that another time line change had happened.  After that, D3 checked it's pockets, and to his delight and surprise, the blueprints were still there.  He stashed it again and had his butlers follow him.  They then watched as the portal machine was demonstrated again, and Hans took another copy of the blueprints, just in case.  After that they returned to D3's office.

"Alright, Kronk, you say that a new overseer has already been chosen?"

"Yeah, it's Id Dolushletmos."

"Drat, now we can't install TechnoXan in that position.  Oh well, we'll keep that plan on the back burner for now.  As for this machine, I think we should build our own.  If we do things just right, we should be able to do so without Him interfering too much."

"Just who are you referring to sir?  Don Pedro or DO"

"The latter.  I thought he was dead all these years.  It seems I was wrong.  He was either dormant, or biding his time.  At any rate, we have no clue what he's up to.  For all we know he's made an alliance with some other dark gods.  What I want to know is why he's bothering with these portal shenanigans.  Is he just screwing with us, or does he intend to trick someone into unleashing some unknown horror upon this fort."

Hans chimed in at this point.  "Then why do you want to build another one of those machines sir?  Wouldn't it be wiser to destroy them, along with all copies of the blueprints?"

"Maybe, but we don't know who has all the other copies.  My plan is to use our own machine to scout out where these portals can lead to, and try to assess the potential threats from each one.  We'll start with the destinations we already saw, then see if there are any others.  If we do find out the identities of those with the other blueprints, we'll need to put them under survaleillance as soon as possible, to prevent any accidents."

"Very well sir, what are your orders?" 

"I want Kronk to gather the raw materials and assist in the assembly.  Hans, you keep an eye on the creators of this device, they might have an idea as to who owns the other blueprints.  Alright, let' get started."

OOC:  I decided to keep this bit of metaplot going, as it is simply to interesting to let it die.  If anyone can think of a reason why the time reset would prevent it let me know.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Journal of Airith, Acolyte to Ryukan

With Master still away overseeing the construction of the Cathedral at Constructivory, I'm still in command of the Order here in Doomforest. I haven't had time for journal entries because of my new position as the Keeper of Record for Doomforest (a VERY taxing endeavor I ensure you all).

After dinner today, I looked at the Blueprints for the Portal Machine. So this is the machine that is causing all this trouble. I see the potential use for a machine like this, and I inquire with my fellow acolyte if the materials necessary would be acquired easily. He told me they could be found with little difficulty. I order him to start construction of a copy of this machine inside the sanctum.

In other news, the D Family has made an appearance. They, along with Dark One, pose the only real threat to the integrity of the Order here in Doomforest. I tell one of the TruthBearers to keep an eye on those two. And as for the position of overseer, I, after some political dealings, have secured a spot after the current Sacasco is finished.

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, we knew it would happen…
Damn things. There’re now several corpses lying around. May they be left to rot. Oh, and Don Pedro recovered.

I… guess that’s good?
Four of them, a novice mason, an apprentice clothesmaker, an apprentice weaponsmith and an expert swordsdwarf. It’s while conscripting the last that I notice something a little odd about Doomforests’s military structure.
We have seven squads:
“Flame’s Legacy” and “Constructive Cusps” are both filled with weaponsmasters, Flame’s Legacy with marksdwarves and Constructive Cusps with melee-focused. The “Butlers” has two hammerdwarves of middling rank. The “Order of the Ale”, however, has no-one higher than novice.
And then we have the two Recruits squads. They are both filled with an eclectic mix of weapons, with swords and spears and axes much in evidence. But non-nominally, they are both filled with legendary warriors!
I speak to SenshukenVII, the militia commander, about this. His explanation hinges on the fact that they were once recruits. Typical stick-in-the-mud military thinking.
Oh, and for some reason the swordsdwarf’s naked. Disgusting.
Ah. It seems I forgot there might be some problems with buzzard corpses rotting in a major thoroughfare. That’s not going to help the mood.

Or maybe it’s that I need to consider what’s to be done with the meat from killing pigs before killing the pigs. It seems they’re even worse after death.
Blasted things.

Someone has done something non-incompetent! The queen’s new rooms may actually be satisfactory!

I am now terrified of these things. I’ll send Flame’s Legacy at it.
Drazoth III, the furnace operator, apparently decided, on having woken after the buzzard attack, that a stone floor covered with the blood of his former foe mixed with his own is a good place to sleep. Shows a certain fighting spirit, I guess.

And Doomforests has yet another mouth to feed. Not that we’re running out of food, admittedly. Oh, and congratulations to Atîs.

“What idiot d-designated a garbage dump in the middle of a hallway? All this has to b-be moved now!”
(OOC: I am honestly quite confused by this. The dump has several high-quality bins, a few metal bars and quite a lot of rotten remains. It also has about ten pages of charcoal. I take it multiple overseers has something to do with it?)
That’s a miasma problem. Something’s rotting. There’s a dump. Do I have to think of everything?

I am somewhat disturbed by a couple of the statues we have in our extensive stockpiles.

OOC:
Any previous overseers know what this is meant to do? I’ve never really gone into mechanisms, but it seems to me that if I turn on the pump on the level below it’ll flood the lower parts of the fort with lava. Is this a bug or a feature?

On a more practical note, I'm not sure I'll be able to do much more than a year in the two weeks. I'll do what I can until about the 11th, at which point I'll begin to have much less time, and then I'll hand over to the next. Does that sound good?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:51:31 am by Sacasco »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

that mess of machinery? It was for my central heating project. DO NOT TOUCH, I think it might be unsafe. I'm rather certain.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Here at Doomforest, we sleep in the blood of our enemies!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:40:26 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile

In place out of space and time

Two seemingly shapeless figures float in an ocean of energy.

- Was the timeline change neccessary, Dark One? - Gogol asks, slowly taking humanoidal shapes.

- Without this change, Doomforests would slowly turn into a realm where time has stopped... A side effect of bearing so much energy. - Dark One says while turning into a robed dwarf.

- I assume that all other elements of The Plan remain the same?

- Yes... - Dark One says ominously.

- Everything?

- Blueprints, portal devices, strange traces of my energies... everything is prepared to the slightest detail.

- What if they can trace you by using these devices?

- Why wouldn't we want them to do this? - Dark One says before the realm collapses under his command.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Journal of Airith, Acolyte of Ryukan

I was approached today by a concerned citizen asking about some weird dreams they had experienced that night. After listening to the details of the dream, I knew they were a by-product of the Forced Time-shift Master did to save the integrity of the VERY weak fabric of reality that held this verse together. It was weak due to the intense and often uncontrolled magic that flowed within these halls.

I told the citizen to drink a tea of herbs that I concocted. It would erase that persons memory of the past two months. The side effect was that they would not only forget of the time shift, but of the past months in this time slot as well, due to the quirkiness of the time stream.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:57:03 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile

D3 was rushing about the twisting halls of the fort, wanting to grab the last few supplies before the construction of the device could begin. As he was returning to his office with the final items, some stupid buzzard thought that he would make for a tasty snack. It took a while for D3 to even notice it, but once he did he was furious. While normally something like this would only be a mild annoyance, he was rather sleep deprived from having spent the last several days trying to get things ready. He put down the things he was carrying as the buzzard prepared to swoop down for it's next attack. He was ready for it, easily dodging the bird and grabbing it's right leg. He then took out one of his carving tools and gutted the thrashing creature.

Next thing he knew, he was on the ground, and his clothes were stuck to him in some places. As he looked around, he saw the buzzard's corpse, and Hans standing over him.

"What the hell happened here?"

"You were attacked by that creature, and you killed it. You then passed out, likely from several days of sleep deprivation combined with the adrenaline crash you suffered after your scuffle. You've been out for 6 hours."

"And you left me here why?"

"You looked so confortable there sir, and I didn't wish to disturb you." Somehow, Hans managed to say that with a completely straight face.

D3 simple stared at him with flat disgust. " Thanks for the consideration. Find anything useful?".

"Not from watching the creators, but when Kronk called me here to help you, I noticed that he was being followed. Once he was able to shake his follower. I then tracked them back to their room."

"Were you seen?". D3 finally stood up and the two began heading back to the office.

"No, for this person had no eyes, only empty sockets. She seemed to track Kronk by sound. He seemed to notice her, as he lead her in quite the opposite direction from your office, before activating that silencing spell you showed us. And yes, one was 'watching' us, but I took the liberty of activating the spell on both of us just as you were coming to. Where did you learn that spell by the way? It's quite good."

"D2 created during his time here, when he was trying to evade the old necrocult.". D3 then laughs a little bit. "How long till you think my 'watcher' figures out I'm not there?"

"I give it about 15 minutes. You?"

"I'm going to say a half hour or so."

They then arrived at the office. Once D3 had washed up and changed into clean clothes they started to work on the portal device, with some modifications D3 had designed....
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would anyone mind me using DFHack to remove some of the vomit, blood, leaves and fruit in the hope that it'll speed things up?

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile

Not at all I think.  I know other oversees have done so in the past.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Would anyone mind me using DFHack to remove some of the vomit, blood, leaves and fruit in the hope that it'll speed things up?

Thou hast permission to useth the DFhack

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is a reacher meant to be able to get here? Ah, well, the Butlers can deal with it.

Oh, good, another one. I really need to sort out some pest control…

I’m getting confused reports of the battle between the Butlers and the reacher. First of all, it seems the Butlers never actually arrived. It seems like a furnace operator, Ast Logemmesir, attacked it. It dodged, and seems to have fallen into the lava sea.
You know? I think you can probably stop now.

This is just getting tiresome.

Yes. That’s definitely what you’re doing.

Through the uncanny cave-sense of dwarven soldiers, I have determined that there is a way to reach and kill Shoveth Zutshoshorshar. It now occurs to me that it may have spent the time since its arrival heading directly towards us. And the soldiers will take quite some time to arrive...

I have more important things to think about right now!

That’s definitely a way in…

My commiserations to the family of Thob Nudenavuz. He bravely ran away from the  forgotten beast, delaying its attack by some seconds which may yet be crucial. He then fought in the manner befitting a dwarf, causing several minor injuries before losing a hand and being kicked off the ledge. His death in the magma sea is a reminder to us all of the power of Armok.

Shoveth’s movement is erratic. It’ll advance far faster than a dwarf can run for some distance, then stand still for a while. I’ve retreated all citizens to the main gate, with all the soldiers. They should meet the two squads coming the other way.

And my great thanks to the family of the gorlak. Its brave refusal to die after being kicked down a flight of stairs allowed several citizens to escape while Shoveth climbed down to kick it into the magma sea. We all owe it a debt of gratitude.

And battle is joined. A straggling group of weaponsmasters engages Shoveth.

You. Have. A. Spear.

And after a few minutes of people hitting a big thing with metal things, the big thing is dead. The dwarves suffered no injuries.

So with only one casualty the entrance to the caverns has been found. It shall now be blocked off.

Well, an entrance. A few days later a crundle was found and eviscerated by Degël Amemlokun, militia captain. It has unfortunately profaned the tomb of Maxcat61, Superminion. My apologies to his descendants. I have been unable to find this entrance.

Oh, stop it already.

OOC: I'm now into the final month of Kevral's year. I may be some time.

Oh, and if there are any formatting errors (or any errors at all), please tell me. This goes for everything I post here, in fact.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile

If someone decided to sabotage the fortress, it wouldn't ever show up against the background incompetence and misfortune.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If someone decided to sabotage the fortress, it wouldn't ever show up against the background incompetence and misfortune.

Who are you calling incompetent? How... how dare you! I'm deeply, deeply offended.
As you can see from my italics.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52