Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Guest breeding Science  (Read 10889 times)

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guest breeding Science
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 07:01:54 pm »

Birthday update!

The visitors finally turned 12, and were put to work.

They happily take professions, jobs and noble positions; as well as military positions. (Their immigrant parents were not assignable new professions; by virtue of being bards and admitted for entertainment of the fort as a whole. I am pleased to see this turn of events.)

At this point, near as I can tell, they are full fledged citizens of Flewclutch, and there was much rejoicing.

Soon the children, who have also been persuaded to marry, will have children of their own, and I can report on values.

Stay tuned!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 02:55:58 am »

Birthday update!

The visitors finally turned 12, and were put to work.

They happily take professions, jobs and noble positions; as well as military positions. (Their immigrant parents were not assignable new professions; by virtue of being bards and admitted for entertainment of the fort as a whole. I am pleased to see this turn of events.)

At this point, near as I can tell, they are full fledged citizens of Flewclutch, and there was much rejoicing.

Soon the children, who have also been persuaded to marry, will have children of their own, and I can report on values.

Stay tuned!

Human fortress ho!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 06:25:17 am »

Something interesting may or may not have transpired.

Thus far the first generation immigrants have not gotten pregnant. Updates on this matter to come.

Edit: Turns out this was due to them not spending time together. Sequestered for a few days in their bedroom, and a second-generation immigrant is on the way!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:31:31 am by Williham »

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 08:50:43 am »

I wana join the science far damnit! I shall post The Happenings of my fort here *Reading The Happenings, a local dwarven newspaper*

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 12:15:53 pm »

Anyone is always welcome to .sig my posts. I do appreciate it when people mention that they are doing so. It's always nice to know that I'm not boring people. :)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 05:34:26 pm »

Since guests don't need food or drink to survive, could we get away with airlock-sealing the Tavern when such a spouse arrives so that they never leave? That way one would be assured a breeding pair.

I suspect (but haven't tested) that guests, like merchants and diplomats, go insane if they are prevented from leaving the map for too long. However, because they don't require food or drink, they might survive insanity for an extended period of time, particularly if you isolate them from anything dangerous. I know of no research on whether insanity blocks marriage and breeding, but if not you could indeed trap them somewhere and wait for the children to arrive. On the other hand, I'm not even sure if non-fortress-residents can marry on-map, so DFHack may still be required for that bit.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 10:55:53 pm »

Since guests don't need food or drink to survive, could we get away with airlock-sealing the Tavern when such a spouse arrives so that they never leave? That way one would be assured a breeding pair.

I suspect (but haven't tested) that guests, like merchants and diplomats, go insane if they are prevented from leaving the map for too long. However, because they don't require food or drink, they might survive insanity for an extended period of time, particularly if you isolate them from anything dangerous. I know of no research on whether insanity blocks marriage and breeding, but if not you could indeed trap them somewhere and wait for the children to arrive. On the other hand, I'm not even sure if non-fortress-residents can marry on-map, so DFHack may still be required for that bit.

More science never hurt anyone... too much.

Here is my big deal question.
So this human child that is now a member of your fort. Can they take a dwarf as a spouse, or could they take another human immigrant offspring as spouse.

And if either of those are possibe, and they then have children (especially curious of the human dwarf possibilities)

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 06:01:06 am »

More science never hurt anyone... too much.

Here is my big deal question.
So this human child that is now a member of your fort. Can they take a dwarf as a spouse, or could they take another human immigrant offspring as spouse.

And if either of those are possibe, and they then have children (especially curious of the human dwarf possibilities)

Children of human immigrants can ostensibly marry one another, no problem. As for interracial marriages; I seriously doubt it; as it's not a thing that is ever seen to happen in world gen.

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 06:02:13 am »

New lesson:

Looking at the temple, I realized that the visitors were praying to the native gods of the fortress; not their own.

This might be a result of the original immigrants not brining any gods with them. Further research needed.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 08:34:33 pm »

Guests do not go insane. They want to leave, and will bolt out of your fort at the soonest opportunity, but do not go bonkers. Thus I was able to keep saving warrior visitors via bolt holes during a zombie apocalypse and gradually build up a fighting force of 10. (Not very effective, since they all just want to leave when released; I let them out at the same time, they all went in the same direction at the same time, but when some got bogged down by zombies, rather than being helpful and bloodlusty, the others just kept on walking. Rip soldiers.)

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 06:21:01 pm »

New lesson! Moods appear to work as expected!

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 06:35:33 pm »

PTW

Hopefully, you'll show me that I didn't make a mistake letting about 50 visitors become residents before I understood the consequences... :(

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 11:20:21 pm »

http://imgur.com/4oLJuHO

So in the image to the right of the cursor is a female human maceman and right next to her,   is two human male (ahem)crossbowmen, without using dfhack, can i get them to breed?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:26:46 pm by bmxbumpkin »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 03:29:51 am »

http://imgur.com/4oLJuHO

So in the image to the right of the cursor is a female human maceman and right next to her,   is two human male (ahem)crossbowmen, without using dfhack, can i get them to breed?

No. You can not get two males to breed ;)

Dorfs need to be within 10 years of age to marry. I would expect the same to hold for humans.
Also, they mustn't be married already, and have to be willing to marry the opposite gender (DFHack gaydar or gui/gm-editor status/current soul/orientation flags).
The candidates would have to be reasonably compatible (finding the thought of love or family abhorrent is not good, for instance).
My experience with dorfs indicates at least one of them has to know the other one (i.e. a line in the relations list, and probably not a relative), or it will fail completely.
I haven't yet tried this with non citizen residents, but a pre honeymoon suite setup ought to work, but the tricky part is to get them there. I'd probably set up two rooms with a door between them as well as a door from each to the rest of the fortress. Place two beds next to each other in one of the rooms and a single bed in the other. Assign a bed in each of the rooms to each of the candidates. Stock the two bed room with food and booze. When a candidate goes to sleep, lock the door (the door between the rooms should be locked as well). When both candidates are caught, unlock the door between the rooms, reassign the single bed candidates bed to the second bed in the other room, and make that room a tavern zone (part of the normal tavern should work fine). When both candidates are in that room, lock the door to the other room, to keep them socializing. Their relations should gradually progress to lover and then married. When married, remove the tavern zone to get them to go on with reproduction. Check the female with gui/gm-editor relations to see if she's pregnant.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:27 am »

New post since this is unrelated to the previous one:

I've allowed a number of mercenaries to stay at my fortress, and the wife of one of them visited, left, returned, and asked to stay (she's also a merc). I arranged for food in their inn room (yes, they share, and did so nominally even when she was just visiting):
Lesson 1: Mercs don't care about burrows even if their squad is inactive, so getting them both in the room at the same time required some fiddling.
Lesson 2: She won't get pregnant, because mercs do not go down to an "no job" idle state, but rather a "mercenary" one that prevents any useful activities to be performed.

Conclusion: Unless you want some early meat shields and a very modest amount of equipment mercenaries are currently vastly inferior to various kinds of performers (I assume scholars work as well, but haven't gotten enough experience with those), since the latter can ask for citizenship, and when they do they're fully under your control, and thus can take up military positions as well. None of my performer citizens have had their spouses visiting, and I haven't tried to persuade any of the unmarried ones to marry (using the pre honeymoon suite rather than DFHack, if so).
As an aside, I've had resident (but not citizen) performers harvest and trade (the trader was locked up in the pre honeymoon suite at the time), and I've even had a non citizen gremlin trade (the time was running out and the trader was hauling a heavy object a long distance). Mercenaries, on the other hand, only satisfy their needs when not engaged in military stuff (and does that just as poorly as citizens do, i.e. ignore order to continue to perform "interruptible" praying, socializing, and reading instead).

Finally, to relate to the previous post anyway, the female merc won't get pregnant with either of the male ones as explained above. It may still be possible to get them to marry, though, as I don't see anything that would block that from happening, but that probably won't achieve much, while requiring a fair bit of effort.
Pages: 1 [2] 3