Poll

anzer 38(t) keep artillery or not?

Yes keep it
- 5 (41.7%)
No its ahistorical please remove it.
- 7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 45

Author Topic: Tankery 2: Season 1 FINALS: SYDNEY VS. KYOKO (still accepting moar people)  (Read 45015 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

You forget the thin armor on the tops and bottoms of tanks.
I am pretty sure that Japanese tanks can't fly or burrow underground so you're fucked anyways. :P
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Well, theoretically they could get on top of a hill to fire at the top armor. But then they're still sitting ducks because the slightest tap will cripple them.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be fair though, you could do worse. I mean, atleast he didn't pick italian tanks :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

That's... not how tank warfare works.
It would have to be a very high cliff on which they lay the Japanese tank sideways so it can shoot at stuff that passes directly under the cliff because at any reasonable angle you could achieve in reasonable conditions you won't penetrate. There's a reason why top and bottom armour aren't top piority in tanks.
To be fair though, you could do worse. I mean, atleast he didn't pick italian tanks :P
TBH Italians had some acceptable SPGs and P40 wasn't that bad
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:41:54 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

Type 2605 or just the Type 5 for short,also you have the O-Ni and a few fun OI variants.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

I'm not sure you were watching any games. Barring quirks of the target, any shot that does four or less damage glances and does nothing. Damage is 1d6+Penetration, and penetration can be negative if you have less armor piercing. Even at zero penetration that's a 2/3 chance of doing nothing, and at -2 Penetration you'd do nothing.

Looking at the stats, your standard tanks (the Ha-Go) could literally not hurt a Stug or Panzer IV. from the front, only the back or the side. A T-34, only with a lucky shot on the back.

Too bad the available Japanese tanks are all light or lighter medium, then. A single Panzer or Su85 or the like, maybe two, could probably take your entire team.

Well the first game had a squad of lighter tanks against heavier ones, and they where able to out maneuver and take down their opponents. This included a Panzer IV :P.
True. But in this case they literally couldn't hurt a Valentine Mk. VII from any side because of it's armor compared to their penetration. If they faced even one it'd be game over.

But nobody has the Valentine Mk. VII, nobody he would be facing anyway. The Typ 97 would only have a -1 penalty at close range (I think :P), meaning they have a 33% chance of damaging. Which really isn't *that* bad.

The maus was never actually in combat but its still a tank you would be able to buy latter on,also,i want OI and eventually that wonderful Type 5 Japanese tank with its glorious,250 mm of frontal armor hehehehe.

OI is slow, though its armor is impressive, it isn't to the point of being invulnerable to similar tanks. Plus its super expensive, probably. And there is *no* type 5 with 250mm armor, the OI *only* has 200mm turret, with 105 sides and 150 back.

Also, there is no way you are hitting the tops or bottoms of enemy tanks without some clever tactics :P.

Well, theoretically they could get on top of a hill to fire at the top armor. But then they're still sitting ducks because the slightest tap will cripple them.

.....Sure they can, buddy. You would be better up trying that tank piling thing  :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

I could have sworn something hit the top armor in my game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it was the indirect fire from one of the opposing tanks. Nevermind then.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Type 2605 or just the Type 5 for short,also you have the O-Ni and a few fun OI variants.
Ah, the glorious WoT paper tanks. :)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I can't find anything in reference to the type 5 (Or more likely I can't find one that has 250mm of armour.) or the type our you're talking about.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OI is slow, though its armor is impressive, it isn't to the point of being invulnerable to similar tanks. Plus its super expensive, probably. And there is *no* type 5 with 250mm armor, the OI *only* has 200mm turret, with 105 sides and 150 back.

Also, there is no way you are hitting the tops or bottoms of enemy tanks without some clever tactics :P.

There are multiple OI variants,there are also no less then four turrets on the damn thing so yeah its going to cost an arm and a leg,but i will do it! I WILL MARK MY WORDS!!! also its the type 2605 a better version of the type 2604,also i don't know why you cant find the thing.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Okay, I can't find anything in reference to the type 5 (Or more likely I can't find one that has 250mm of armour.) or the type our you're talking about.

I found one, but it seems to only be in World of Tanks  :-\. Plus calling it a type 5 is kinda confusing when there are already a bunch of other-actual- type 5s  :P. If anything, the naming is weird, considering the O-I on Wikipedia all are named after their weight (OI 100t is 100 tons, OI 120t is 120 tons etc) and the "types" would have to skip a couple thousand :P.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:53:10 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I found one, but it seems to only be in World of Tanks  :-\. Plus calling it a type 5 is kinda confusing when there are already a bunch of other-actual- type 5s  :P.
It was made up.
Due to lack of information, many aspects of tanks such as armor values, top speed and weight are made up by Wargaming. Hull itself is based on rough sketch, meaning it also most likely has historical inaccuracies. In-game description is also inaccurate, as Type 4/5 was its own design, not modification of O-I.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Early war Japanese tanks were fantastic at doing their job, battling the Chinese who were mostly lacking their own armor and AT capabilities, but utterly useless in the face of American medium armor. But they weren't designed to stand up against the American Sherman. AFAIK there wasn't much armor on armor combat in the Pacific anyway and most tanks were casualty'd by AT guns, infantry with AT, and maintenance problems, like in Europe.

Most Japanese tanks didn't have powered turrets. Even their medium tanks relied on manual traverse. Let's take a look at the two we see in this game:
Quote from: Type 95 Light Tank (1935), Page 19
The turret is manually operated-
Quote from: Type 97 Medium Tank (1937), Page 49
The manually-operated turret-

Also, some light tanks didn't have radios, but all medium tanks did.
Quote from: Tank Radio, Page 76
An examination of approximately 50 medium tanks, 12 light tanks, and miscellaneous other vehicles yielded the following information:
1. All medium tanks (Type 97 and Type 97 improved) were equipped with radio.
2. At least some of the light tanks were radio equipped

I talked about the way tank turrets worked on all sides in WW2 here in my podcast.

A more likely situation is if the enemy is moving down a slope, but the tankers would have to be idiots to move down a slope towards the enemy.

I found one, but it seems to only be in World of Tanks  :-\. Plus calling it a type 5 is kinda confusing when there are already a bunch of other-actual- type 5s  :P.
That's just a symptom of the Japanese naming conventions. There's a Type 97 Tankette, a Type 97 Medium Tank, a Type 97 7.7mm machine gun, and a Type 97 57mm AT gun.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:56:59 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Due to lack of information, many aspects of tanks such as armor values, top speed and weight are made up by Wargaming. Hull itself is based on rough sketch, meaning it also most likely has historical inaccuracies. In-game description is also inaccurate, as Type 4/5 was its own design, not modification of O-I.
God damnit....

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I don't think that would exactly be acceptable to be put into the game.

That being siad I can't wait to see if I can't swipe a Tiger II for the next season. So much awesome and it can be made even better too!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 45