Poll

anzer 38(t) keep artillery or not?

Yes keep it
- 5 (41.7%)
No its ahistorical please remove it.
- 7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 45

Author Topic: Tankery 2: Season 1 FINALS: SYDNEY VS. KYOKO (still accepting moar people)  (Read 44989 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

What I'd like to see is a school fielding 10 38(t), hiding in cities and forest and using the indirect fire to troll the heavier tanks.
Challenge accepted.
That's actually a perfectly viable build I think; There's only one tank available with the top armor to stop penetration from their indirect fire.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

If people want to join we need in fact two more players otherwise one player will have to sit it out in the next turn. So yeah go ahead and draw up a sheet.
Tempted to. I need to first understand this shit so it will take a while or two.

Also, people were speaking about infantry - since we already are going to kill our Girls on Panzers a lot, infantry squads could possibly exist. Maybe as a reward for various propaganda stuff (*waves at Arms Race games*), like you need to actually convince girls to volunteer into those or something, and then only pay points for their equipment. Just an idea though.

EDIT:
Also clarify the indirect fire - does it lose penetration or something? And actually why it's the 38(t) having indirect fire?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:38:48 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

What about desanting soldiers?
Infantry add a whole new and awesome aspect to tank warfare. It's really too bad that a lot of the better video games that feature armored vehicles don't also have infantry. Infantry don't always have tanks, but you (should) never find tanks without infantry.

Lermfish pointed this out to me and I was super turned off by the schoolgirl horse shit and the bad history (Shermans catching fire easily is a myth) but this is starting to look too fun to pass up.

It is explicitly a sports game. Adding infantry to it would be like adding tanks to football: It would be interesting, but kinda completely changes the game from what it was intended to be.

The Sherman catching fire wasn't a myth, at least not these versions. The placement of the ammunition racks was a problem that was mostly solved by wet stowage...which is an upgrade you can get. If anything, the myth would be "German Tanks don't catch on fire as easily", they didn't have a huge difference in fire-catability, but it was something like 80% of penetrations set it on fire.

Here is is what Wikipedia has to say about the subject:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((M4 Sherman Armor, the last two paragraphs))

Besides, school girls make everything better always, and questioning this fact is a sin punishable by the harshest punishments.

As for burning Shermans, they did indeed have extreme flammability at the beginning of the war, but if you look at tank upgrades there is wet stowage as an upgrade which reduces fire catching chance by 75%
That's true, but early in the war the Pz. IV also had nearly identical rates of failure due to fire, so the Sherman shouldn't be singled out since it's not much more vulnerable to that risk compared to other tanks.

Yeah, but it was really *only* the Pz.IV by the above. So if anything, it would make more sense to give it to the Pz. IV too.

It is specifically an M4A1 ('42-'43), so I guess that makes sense. I think I'll look into fire prevention measures in the other tanks to see where parallels lie. I wouldn't want to assume that just because tanks from other nations are from the same year that they didn't have better/worse fire prevention or ammo storage than the Sherman.

Since this is arena combat, the crews can avoid improperly storing their ammo (i.e. storing it outside the armored racks) unless they decide they need the extra ammo. Not to mention no one has any reason to be carrying HE since there are no infantry, so the likelihood of a catastrophic ammo cook-off should be severely reduced for all tanks, shouldn't it?

Well they might not be from the same year? Its possible that the Panzer IV is a late war model while the Sherman is explicitly an early war M4A1. There is nothing suggesting that they came from the same year. And anyway, the "Sets on fire easily" thing is actually an advantage for the Sherman in this game, in that it halves the price of the tank, allowing for double the amount to be fielded.

There are probably rules in place for the storage of ammunition, I would imagine the bloodsport is the kind of thing people watch for fantastic explosions. They are probably the kind of people to require you to have HE ammunition just so that it can blow up in your face :P.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:07:27 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Going off my experience in my match, indirect fire has less penetration, but since it targets the top armor that rarely makes a difference because few tanks have enough to stop penetration altogether. Whether this is realistic or purely for balancing so that indirect fire is not instant death, I don't know.

As for the schoolgirls thing: optional. My opponent had several male members on their team, and I'm sure that you could choose to make it a university instead of a high school. I chose to make mine an all-girls school so that quotes like the one I posted in the OOCQ thread could happen.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I think indirect fire just lets you shoot without LOS. Might have a penalty to aim, but there isn't much a reason for it to have a penetration penalty? I dunno why the 38(t) would have this ability though :?. I think Sheb used it in the last round, might wanna ask him.
I'm not sure... it would make sense with like, SU-76, but 38(t)? It's just weird.

As for the schoolgirls thing: optional. My opponent had several male members on their team, and I'm sure that you could choose to make it a university instead of a high school. I chose to make mine an all-girls school so that quotes like the one I posted in the OOCQ thread could happen.
As long as we don't end up with the shit that usually happens in GuP fanfictions with male crews, if you get what I'm saying.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

It is explicitly a sports game. Adding infantry to it would be like adding tanks to football:

It would be interesting, but kinda completely changes the game from what it was intended to be.
That comparison makes no sense at all.

Unsupported tanks fighting each other is just plain weird. I mean it is an arena combat thing and not a sim, but to me having dismounts would add a lot of depth to the game. They can always be optional after all.

Yeah, but it was really *only* the Pz.IV by the above. So if anything, it would make more sense to give it to the Pz. IV too.
Sounds fair to me. The only point I wanted to make is that the Sherman wasn't especially vulnerable to fire compared to similar tanks.

Well they might not be from the same year? Its possible that the Panzer IV is a late war model while the Sherman is explicitly an early war M4A1. There is nothing suggesting that they came from the same year.

And anyway, the "Sets on fire easily" thing is actually an advantage for the Sherman in this game, in that it halves the price of the tank, allowing for double the amount to be fielded.
M4A1s are explicitly from '42-'43, while the Pz. IV Ausf. H was produced from '43-'44. So Kot's observation that the Ausf. H was made later in the war than the Sherman is correct. I didn't say they came from the same year.

I'm concerned more about the history than the playability of the tank.

There are probably rules in place for the storage of ammunition, I would imagine the bloodsport is the kind of thing people watch for fantastic explosions. They are probably the kind of people to require you to have HE ammunition just so that it blows up in your face :P.
Have to see what Ghaz says about it.

I think indirect fire just lets you shoot without LOS. Might have a penalty to aim, but there isn't much a reason for it to have a penetration penalty? I dunno why the 38(t) would have this ability though :?. I think Sheb used it in the last round, might wanna ask him.
Any tank can hit targets indirectly if they're far enough away, but obviously the angle at which your shot strikes the top armor affects penetration in a big way, so an indirect shot aimed at the top armor fired from far away would have awful penetration compared to one fired from close range that has a mortar-like trajectory. And obviously if you don't have LOS or a spotter who does have LOS your aim should suffer accordingly. All the more reason IMO to have dismounts. Send some infy out with a wireless to hide in some trees and spot for an M7 Priest.

I don't see what makes the 38(t) special. It's only a 3.7cm and AFAIK it's vertical traverse isn't great.

E: Maybe a better way to do dismounts is to have them be provided for each team prior to a match, so that the only worries there are when it comes to balancing a match is tank and crew progression, to save on the workload.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:17:38 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Any tank can hit targets indirectly if they're far enough away, but obviously the angle at which your shot strikes the top armor affects penetration in a big way, so an indirect shot aimed at the top armor fired from far away would have awful penetration compared to one fired from close range that has a mortar-like trajectory. And obviously if you don't have LOS or a spotter who does have LOS your aim should suffer accordingly. All the more reason IMO to have dismounts. Send some infy out with a wireless to hide in some trees and spot for an M7 Priest.

I don't see what makes the 38(t) special. It's only a 3.7cm and AFAIK it's vertical traverse isn't great.
My point exactly. It just doesn't make a lot of sense and unless the 38(t) fires like straight upward, the angle at which it strikes enemy tank is proably so bad that it has no chance to penetrate... there's a reason most WW2 tanks had relatively thin top armour.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

HE actually has some uses in tank to tank combat like blowing of a tanks tracks or ruining the life of a light tank.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Significantly high caliber HE, that is. Also, HE effectivness against tracks is exaggerated in games, AP should be much better at it because it fucks up wheels, severs track links and might even get lodged somewhere and good luck repairing that shit under heavy fire.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

That comparison makes no sense at all.

I thought it was a good one  :'(. Basically, I'm saying it would be fun to add infantry, but it drastically changes how the game is played and what kind of game it is. Adding tanks to a football match would be really fun to watch, but it would drastically change the game to the point it was no longer "football" anymore. "Tankery" is a game that is played only by tanks, adding infantry would be fun and all, but at that point it is just another war game and is no longer "Tankery".

Sounds fair to me. The only point I wanted to make is that the Sherman wasn't especially vulnerable to fire compared to similar tanks.

Also sounds fair.

M4A1s are explicitly from '42-'43, while the Pz. IV Ausf. H was produced from '43-'44. So Kot's observation that the Ausf. H was made later in the war than the Sherman is correct. I didn't say they came from the same year.

I think I just misunderstood your "I wouldn't want to assume that just because tanks from other nations are from the same year that they didn't have better/worse fire prevention or ammo storage than the Sherman." comment then  :-\.

Have to see what Ghaz says about it.

It only really requires a handwave to be whatever Ghaz thinks is most fun  :-\.

Well the thing is that they aren't "Far enough away" most of the time here, the angle makes sense but they *aren't* at a distance it would be normal to indirectly fire normally direct-fired guns. It isn't like the angle would be consistent with each shot though. And why would "Making indirect fire weapons more OP" be a good reason to add infantry?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Well the thing is that they aren't "Far enough away" most of the time here, the angle makes sense but they *aren't* at a distance it would be normal to indirectly fire normally direct-fired guns.

And why would "Making indirect fire weapons more OP" be a good reason to add infantry?
I dunno. Just judging by that town the battlefield in that last game looked like it was more than 5km2 but I could be wrong. That's plenty of distance for indirect shots at long range to be possible.

"'Making indirect fire weapons more OP'"? I don't understand. Are you implying that's what I said? That's totally opposite of what my opinion is. I don't think indirect weapons are very effective at all against tanks. You need line of sight and good communication just to have a chance of hitting a tank, and a tank is a very small target that needs to be hit directly in order to do damage, and indirect fire weapons are too inaccurate to have much hope of killing a tank. Indirect fire weapons should be there to flush out tanks that are in known hiding spots and occasionally disable one, and also to suppress infantry in the open.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

As far as i am concerned i've found more mentions of the Shermans catching fire. Especially the above mentioned article goes to say: burning out when penetrated as to opposed to catching fire when hit. Thats two very different things.

As it stands early models of the Sherman caught fire when already hit, that was later modified by introducing wet stowage (see upgrades).
Game Mechanical Wise the Panzer IV got a later model as opposed to the Sherman so the Panzer IV could serve as an expensive high end tank for the beginning, while the Sherman serves as a cheap glass-cannon which can be fielded in large numbers.

In regards to Infanty, Schools and Gender:
Nowhere was mentioned that you have to use school girls or anything. For all i care you could have Vietnam War Veterans and Mercenaries sitting in those tanks (no you wont get any bonuses from that).

Really the teams can be male, female, intergender, whatever. It's irrelevant to the game itself but makes for nice Roleplay.

Infantry is something i expressively refuse to add too since it adds a dozen or more new mechanics. However your crews can leave their tanks walk around and do things. Only rule is that crews on foot cannot force crews in tanks out of their tanks.
You can (or not) agree on allowing the shooting of crews on foot. But thats entirely the choice of the respective players.

First-Aid Crews and the Medical SDkfz will appear on the field too and can be shot at if it has been agreed upon.

In regards to indirect fire, it already has severe penalties to firing that way, however i too am not entirely sure how (if at all) overpowered it is, i will be monitoring it and then decide at a later date whether it needs to be nerfed

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

In regards to indirect fire, it already has severe penalties to firing that way, however i too am not entirely sure how (if at all) overpowered it is, i will be monitoring it and then decide at a later date whether it needs to be nerfed
Also, can we get a clarification why specifically it's the 38(t) that has this capability?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

I dunno. Just judging by that town the battlefield in that last game looked like it was more than 5km2 but I could be wrong. That's plenty of distance for indirect shots at long range to be possible.

"'Making indirect fire weapons more OP'"? I don't understand. Are you implying that's what I said? That's totally opposite of what my opinion is. I don't think indirect weapons are very effective at all against tanks. You need line of sight and good communication just to have a chance of hitting a tank, and a tank is a very small target that needs to be hit directly in order to do damage, and indirect fire weapons are too inaccurate to have much hope of killing a tank. Indirect fire weapons should be there to flush out tanks that are in known hiding spots and occasionally disable one, and also to suppress infantry in the open.

My point was that they are hardly going to be at optimum indirect fire range all the time, most of the game they will spend much much closer (due to not being able to indirectly fire themselves).

I'm not implying that is what you said. I am imply that indirect fire is already a fairly solid game-play mechanic on its own right. In here, it basically means you can shoot at someone who can't shoot back. With unlimited ammunition, this means that you *will* win if given enough time, simply by being able to plink away at long-distance opponents while being able to relocate yourself before they locate your tanks. Needing a LOS scout tank acts as a disadvantage to this, making it so an infantry unit who can hide much better than a tank and comes in much higher numbers can provide proper LOS makes it OP. We are talking game mechanics, after all, communications are just a Leadership roll and you *have* to have a chance of hitting (the lowest chance you could possibly have with the current mechanics while still being able to hit would be a 2.78% chance, the second lowest would be 8.33% chance). Using an indirect fire strategy is a viable and potentially possible tactic in this game, even without infantry.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, can we get a clarification why specifically it's the 38(t) that has this capability?
Given how easily they blow up, they need something to be useful :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 45