Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What would you put in here?  (Read 3995 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
What would you put in here?
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

I am in the process of constructing a MASSIVE pyramid.  In total it is going to be around 25 z-levels tall, mostly aboveground but some underground as well.  I am a little over halfway done with it, and it already contains about 12,000 marble blocks.  As you can imagine, I have some serious interior space to work with.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with all that space.  Of course there will be lavish living quarters, tombs, and stockpiles of booze, but that'll only take up a fraction of the space.  I intend to release this construction for exploration in adventure mode, and I want it to be filled with amazing things.  I'm looking for suggestions from you guys.

Restrictions:
Due to a bug in converting to a newer version, I have no trade.  I am limited to the materials I have on hand.  This same bug prevents immigration, so I am stuck with only 27 dwarves.
I have no water, no magma, and no anvil.
The pyramid has a staircase going up through the center.  I'd rather not deal with making constructions that involve multiple z-levels, unless they're really cool.  It has taken me so long to build all these floors that I might cry if I had to tear them down.
I don't want to deal with traps in adventure mode.

I have plenty of wood, booze, and food.  It's a desert map but there are lots of cacti and plants.  There is loads of marble, magnetite, flint, microcline, and mica.  There is some orthoclase and malachite.  I have a few gems, all chrysocolla so far.

Bring on the suggestions!  I can't guarantee that I'll put all of them in, of course, but I'll include as many as possible so that you can all explore your own ideas in my pyramid.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What would you put in here?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »

Traps. Make the player avoid lots of different traps in order to get through the pyramid safely. Also, a self-destruct feature that the adventurer can trigger and then run for his life would be nice.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

how many dwarven slaves died during the production ?

if the number is lower than the number of blocks used, it aint a real pyramide

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

Unfortunately, due to the lack of immigration, I can't afford many deaths.  I had one early on, when I learned that a dwarf removing a floor ten levels above ground will stand directly on top of it while he removes it, thereby plummeting to his death.  That is the only death I've had.  I turned off artifacts and invasions so that I could focus on the construction.  I'm already 8 game years into it even without dealing with hardship.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

Impressive! Well done, though here's to hoping it reaches its full potential, and that the community contributes lots of cool ideas. One thing I'd like to know for purposes of ideas: do you have access to unlimited water, or is the fortress living on booze alone?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>how many dwarven slaves died during the production ?

if the number is lower than the number of blocks used, it aint a real pyramide</STRONG>

Common misconception. The pyramids were not built by slaves but by paid laborers. In Egypt at the time it was required to serve the government for a period of time. Most went with building the pyramids over going to war.
For what to build in there. Try editing the raws so you can put massive riches in the pyramid.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Top the pyramid's top three levels off with Aluminum and gold blocks (if you dont know how, make the stone available for economic use with Z -> Stone -> Enter, then make them into blocks at a masons shop, preferably a legendary mason)
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

If you'll guys look at the restrictions I listed in my first post, I have no access to water or to trade.  I can only work with what I have now.  I also lack an anvil, so I can't forge anything out of metal.  I can use the malachite to craft things in a mason's shop, but no copper.

I am mostly just interested in making sure that the inside of the pyramid is as impressive as the outside when an adventurer finds their way in.  Even something as simple as floor plans for halls and whatnot would be useful.  I have a massive amount of area to fill, and I don't want it to look empty.  That doesn't mean it has to have a purpose - I just want it to look good.

All of the floors are square, by the way.  The smallest complete floor is 5x5 squares, and floors below increase in size by 3 tiles per level.  The largest one complete right now is 53x53, and I have many more floors to go.  All of them are completely empty so far.

And yes, it is true, the pyramids were not built by slaves.  They were built by conscripts, though - the workers were not slaves, but they still didn't have a choice about working.  And many of them did die building their marvels.  Still, it's pretty damned impressive.  Now if only they had had dwarven strength to carry those blocks up, they wouldn't have had to bother with all that rope and ramp hauling!

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: Sappho ]

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 08:04:00 pm »

One floor should be empty except for the stairs and a gigantic mosaic made of different stone and metal floors. (Even without an anvil, you can make metal bars at a smelter and use them to built walls and floors. You'll need fuel, of course.)

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »

Yes, you have very little to work with however if you edit the raws you can get anything that you want. Editing the raws isn't all that bad in this situation since all that happened was you just lost trade. As well the fort isn't supposed to look great it is supposed to be the feat of building a massive pyramid that is supposed to be incredible. Copperblazes used a few cheats to compensate for bugs, why can't you?

This will give you an anvil, I think.
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]

Edit the addy reaction and remove any reagent and fuel.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 08:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>If you'll guys look at the restrictions I listed in my first post, I have no access to water or to trade.  I can only work with what I have now.  I also lack an anvil, so I can't forge anything out of metal.  I can use the malachite to craft things in a mason's shop, but no copper.</STRONG>

If you dig quite a few levels down, maybe about 10 below the soil level, gold should start showing up in small amounts, but enough to atleast make the outer layers made of rough gold or gold blocks.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

Please tell me it's in a white/yellow sand desert.

As for what to include inside - mix mythologies and make a giant labyrinth. I don't think you'll be finding much in the way of minotaurs or manticores, but some nightwings and goblins should do it. Place cages and treasures at various points in your labyrinth. Link all of the cages to a single lever. Before abandoning, pull the lever.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpios:
<STRONG> Place cages and treasures at various points in your labyrinth. Link all of the cages to a single lever. Before abandoning, pull the lever.</STRONG>

Any thing inside a cage on abandon is released. This means that you don't have to link them to a lever.

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

pit demons.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
<STRONG>

Any thing inside a cage on abandon is released. This means that you don't have to link them to a lever.</STRONG>

All the better then.
Though I still suggest a giant death trap linked to a lever to pull and force an abandon.
A giant pile of dwarf skeletons at the pyramid entrance would be awesome.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: [1] 2 3