Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventure, Playing the Game (prev. Adventure starting races)  (Read 2184 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Adventure, Playing the Game (prev. Adventure starting races)
« on: March 12, 2016, 12:29:29 pm »

I'm not sure if I understand how the new choosing a race interface works. Is it like the races that you see and show up in the beginning are the ones that joined the civilizations and the ones in Intelligent Wilderness Creatures are something like new outsiders because I couldn't find the old outsiders.
I haven't played adventure mode in quite a while   ;D.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:09:10 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure starting races
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 12:38:45 pm »

Intelligent Wilderness Creatures don't have an Outsiders option (yet) because they don't have civilizations of their own (yet). They can only be civilized enough to play as a character by joining a civilization. They get more flexibility for starting civs.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »

also how does the performing music work how long do you need to do it before you end because I know you end reciting poems.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 05:55:38 pm »

also how does the performing music work how long do you need to do it before you end because I know you end reciting poems.
Just keep pressing . it'll end eventually.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 07:39:15 pm »

I'm not sure if I understand how the new choosing a race interface works. Is it like the races that you see and show up in the beginning are the ones that joined the civilizations and the ones in Intelligent Wilderness Creatures are something like new outsiders because I couldn't find the old outsiders.
I haven't played adventure mode in quite a while   ;D.
The races in the opening list are races who have already civilized by joining an existing dwarf/human/elf civ. The 'intelligent wilderness creatures' are one off occurrences (they don't have a 'civilised population' but you overcame the odds and civilised early).

There doesn't seem to be much distinction right now from a gameplay point of view. Hopefully in the future, civilizations with civilized animal-person pops will also have caches of armour and clothes fit for that species.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:28:29 pm »

Also what's the  easiest way to get food as a performer I have almost no combat skills.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

Also what's the  easiest way to get food as a performer I have almost no combat skills.

well, like any peasent in the Middle Ages Trade for food in a market or press g next to a edible/fruitbearing plant (as long as the plant is in season.) and pick the fruit or leaves from it (depending on the plant) you could also steal food from a home in a village or a market. (Stealing from a market gets you labeled as a thief though) ( if there are witnesses...)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 01:45:07 am »

I've got another questions. How does the armor size work? What's the maximal for wearing small? Minimal for large? What size humans wear?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 02:01:12 am »

I've got another questions. How does the armor size work? What's the maximal for wearing small? Minimal for large? What size humans wear?
Large and small (in adventurer) are relative to what you are, I think. Basically if it doesn't say 'large' or 'small' it should fit.
Toady posted a formula for exactly what size armour everyone can fit into in the latest(?) FOTF reply.

Wild boar men can fit into human armour
Elephant-men will need to ask a (player) dwarf fortress nicely to get anything to fit them.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 04:00:58 am »

Ok, so I was looking for criminals and smbd told me to go to a town, I went there couldn't find them. Than smbd told me to go to a tomb, went there - looked around didn't go into the tombs but other than the tombs themselves I couldn't find anything. So how do the criminals work and how to kill them :D?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure, Playing the Game (prev. Adventure starting races)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 06:26:49 am »

They'll be under the keep, or temples generally, you can get better info by checking the tell a story interface for that site, filter for criminal and it should list one ascending to primary position as a criminal gang in that town.

Go check the area through a door and see the name listed at the bottom left, if they aren't goblins in there, ask one about the structure you're in, if they list the group you're after, kill them. Otherwise check for temples and worst-case you gotta go through a connection from a temple/keep catacomb/dungeon, possibly through a sewer, and then you'll find the place you're after.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 07:15:37 am »

I havnt updated dwarf fort since... the update before the poetry one i think.
Im planning on upgrading it and I would like to know what has changed in adventure mode since then.
I dont want to make a thread about it so here will do any help will be apreciated
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 08:06:17 am »

I havnt updated dwarf fort since... the update before the poetry one i think.
Im planning on upgrading it and I would like to know what has changed in adventure mode since then.
I dont want to make a thread about it so here will do any help will be apreciated
Bard adventurers (Sing! Dance! Read bad poetry!)
Taverns and libraries
Playable goblins (if they're from human/dwarf/elf civs)
Playable animal-men
Playable gorlaks
Playable plump-helmet men
More obvious respect for your achievements (martial and artistic)
Kill quests from hearths
Bone carving
The biggies will be in the next update: Adventurer site building, carpentry, leatherworking (maybe - recent podcast says it's up next anyway), logging.

An annoying bug makes sentient flesh inedible right now, even if you're an elf or a modded in goblin.

--Toady says everything is triangulating towards the ability of adventurers to breed...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:13:16 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 08:13:30 am »

Yes yes yes building. I thought the build thread was advfort.
Fuck me I hope its done right thanks stranger. Kisses
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 05:29:23 pm »

I think I'm gonna need to kill dwarven bandits as a quest :o.
Edit: Just got killed by them :'(. This was the biggest camp I saw until now.
Any Ideas how to kill such a big group
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:18:01 am by snow dwarf »
Pages: [1] 2