Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: You are a Shaper!  (Read 10639 times)

Technoturnovers

• Escaped Lunatic
  • My personal text is my personal business
    • View Profile
    • Technoturnover's Blog
Re: You are a Shaper!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 11:23:24 am »

Talk to Marcus about what you should do.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:28:36 am by Technoturnovers »
herp de derp LE LINUX MASTER RACE herp de doo

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 01:41:46 pm »

((Interesting, I was thinking of making an ISG for Geneforege, since I just replayed the first one and love the lore.))

In general Focus on shaping (as opposed to magic or combat), especially going after the basics (create fyora, thahd, or any lesser creations they bore us with).
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 01:54:06 pm »

+1, later we should find out if you can "reshape" something, and possibly pick up some info on necromancy.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 01:57:22 pm »

+1, later we should find out if you can "reshape" something, and possibly pick up some info on necromancy.
+1

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 03:00:47 pm »

Lacking anything else to do, you approach Marcus. Even if you've never been interested in being social before, having a friend here might be useful later on..

"Hello, Marcus."
"Oh, uh, hi, Morden."
"Have any idea what we're waiting for?"
"Oh, uh, well, a teacher, maybe? My mom said that the teachers direct the students all the time in Shaper schools."
"Your mom said that? How would she know?"
"Well, uhh, she talks to a lot of Shapers who need her to make potions and stuff for them, and she even has a license to make Essence for them, so she gets to ask them stuff I guess? She's always hoped I'd grow up to be a Shaper, and she seems to know alot about becoming one.."

Intriguing. You didn't know Marcus' mother had planned for her son to become a Shaper. Marcus might be more useful than you thought..

Before you can continue the conversation, a new figure appears, entering the courtyard from the alleyway between two of the squat, grey buildings. It it a Shaper, but not the same kind of wizardly, robe wearing Shaper your Essence teacher was - this Shaper wears chain-mail and a great helm, like the guards, but also wears a surcoat with the symbol of the Shapers centered upon it, and bears a sword sheathed at his side. Not to mention the two extremely fearsome looking creation following him - you have seen war Creations before, serving as guards to the town you hail from, but they were nowhere near as fearsome as the Creations following this man.

All of the children, including you, fall silent as he comes into view. He stands in front of the mass of students, looking them over, then begins speaking. His voice is surprisingly normal and soft - not the harsh and brusque drill-sergeant voice you were expecting - but just loud enough for everyone to hear him perfectly.

"I am Guardian Akar. I will be your Caretaker for the duration of your stay here. If you need anything, ask me. I am also in charge of the security and safety of this facility.. and it just so happens that you guys are the biggest security risks we have here. You are not to interfere with any of our experiments unless specifically permitted to, and if you are allowed to assist in our research here, you will follow all instructions given to you, unless you want to be booted from this school, or worse. These two Creations behind me that you are all gawking at are, you will find, the most friendly Creations you will find in this facility, and if you go around exploring and poking around or fail to follow our instructions, you could very well be eaten by creatures far more nasty than these two. Usually, we have at least one casualty within the first week, and five more by the time each class has finally graduated. If you happen to be a more sensible class than usual, you might buck that trend.. but I doubt it. And I will have any of you who think your parents are important enough to get you special treatment know that despite our high casualty rate, and despite many complaints, after fifty years, we're still here. And I know none of you are important enough for there to be an uproar over your death. So keep that in mind before you start bitching, alright?"

He delivered that entire lecture in the same soft, gentle voice. Despite yourself, you're rather creeped out, and the other students must be downright terrified. Marcus is standing next to you, and you see that he's gone rather pale, as well as several other students in your twenty-strong group. No one utters a single word as Akar looks over the group again. Finally, he nods, and gestures for the group to follow him.

He leads you through a twisty maze of alleys, and at one point the group passes an alcove with a Creation chained to the wall within the alcove, a feeding trough set before it. It growls at a student, but quiets when Akar somehow glares back at it through his great helm.

Finally, he leads you to a stone door, and waves an amulet around his neck, which you hadn't noticed until then, causing the door to slide down into the ground. You only see that Akar seems to be wearing a black bead on a string around his neck before he ushers into into the building, which proves to be a large barracks of sorts. The walls are lined with cots, each cot has a small cabinet next to it, and each cabinet and bed has a curtain you can pull around it set into the wall, which Akar demonstrates. The low ceiling is set with strange glowing stones that provide a dim white light.

Everyone claims a bed and cabinet, but the barracks still feels unsettlingly empty, as it has fifty beds, but there are only twenty of you. Akar tells you to settle in and get sleep for the morning, then departs, leaving you all locked in the barracks, with no way to open the door yourselves. Again, your peers fragment off into groups to talk, thoroughly unsettled, and again Marcus is standing alone.

Which bed do you take?

What do you do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

People familiar with the Geneforge series will notice that there are new creations! I have completely rehauled the Creation system, so don't expect the types you're familiar with. You'll just have to learn the new types as time goes along, although a few types will stay the same.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 05:29:25 am by Snallac »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 05:34:47 pm »

X cabinet then put books in cabinet then ask Marcus if he nows why the Guardian wears a black bead

Technoturnovers

• Escaped Lunatic
  • My personal text is my personal business
    • View Profile
    • Technoturnover's Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »

X cabinet then put books in cabinet then ask Marcus if he nows why the Guardian wears a black bead
This, also take the bed farthest from everyone else
herp de derp LE LINUX MASTER RACE herp de doo

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 07:01:22 pm »

+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 11:23:14 pm »

Loot all cabinets for leftover living tools/shaper documents

+1

+1. Also: Assess all of your peers. Single out the toughest looking ones and appraise them for possible 'befriending' (for meatshield if/when they choose to become guardians).

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 08:42:42 am »

You claim one of the beds at the very back of the barracks, thoroughly isolating yourself from everyone else - you happen to think that the benefits conferred by a greater decree of privacy outweigh the benefits of making friends. You find that your cabinet is filled with more Shaper prospective clothing, the same kind of robes you're wearing right now, as well as a set of what you surmise to be sparring gear. Only one shelf is empty, and you put the books you were allowed to bring with you in there.

After claiming your bed and arranging things to your comfort, and once again finding yourself bereft of anything else to do, you approach Marcus again. He still seems a bit dazed.

"Marcus?"
"Oh, uh, yes, Morden?"
"Did you see that necklace Akar was wearing?"
"Um, no, sorry."
"Well, he was wearing a necklace with a black bead on it, that's what he used to open the door. Have you ever heard of anything like that being used in Shaper schools?"
"Um, well, sorta. Shapers don't, well, want Outsiders to be able to poke around, in any of their labs or anything, right? So they make amulets and stuff that are only given to Shapers that let those sliding doors and the other guard Creations in a given facility identify them as a Shaper. Maybe that's what Akar had? If it is, they might give us our own, soon, so we can get around."
"Ah, that explains it, thanks."

After speaking to Marcus, to assess the group to see who might be good lackey material - someone duller than the rest who you can likely recruit for dumb muscle when needed. You realize Oswild is exactly who you're looking for - he's not stupid, as a complete dullard would never get into a Shaper school, but you're confident you can convince him to help you out if you ever need it, and he's definitely the most athletic person in your twenty-strong group.

With that done, you see little else to do but go to sleep - best to get a good's night rest in preparation of the introduction the teachers must have planned for your group tomorrow. You pull out the privacy curtain and lie down, and soon the other children do the same, when the light-stones in the ceilings begin to dim. You wake up in the middle of the night when you hear shuffling, but it's only a Servile janitor. In the morning, you wake up again when the light-stones brighten once more, and the door opens to let in three people - two Shapers you haven't seen before, and Guardian Akar.

The Shaper heading the trio wears puke green robes, emblazoned with the Shaper symbol, with his hood pulled up, so that you can't see any of his facial features. The other Shaper is a young woman with short brown hair, glasses and brilliant green eyes in dark blue robes, also emblazoned with the Shaper symbol. She is carrying a clipboard and a writing utensil. Their leader waits for all of you to assemble before he speaks.

"I am Shaper Rawal, this is my assistant, Shaper Genna, and you've all already met Guardian Akar. Akar, as you already know, is our head of security, and I am the master of this facility. I set the schedule here, direct experiments, and I will guide your education. I assume Akar has already scared the devil out of you, so I shall not bother warning you of the dangers of disobedience again. I shall give you all a tour around this facility today, and explain some basic things you need to know as future Shapers-to-be. Follow me."

Rawal leads you around the facility, showing you the mess hall, showing you the sparring ground, in which Akar shall soon be teaching you the ways of combat, a dusty library, which you might soon find useful for research purposes, the Shaping chambers, which you will soon make use of to practice your Shaping, the alchemical labs, in which you shall soon begin to learn alchemy, and finally the magic chambers, in which you shall learn magic.  You are careful to keep track of where you are during the facility, and you don't fail to notice that some buildings are left out of the tour - undoubtedly buildings in which the dangerous experiments Ithlum College is known for take place.

Once you are all gathered in the magic chambers, Rawal gives another speech of sorts.

"Now, as you all have undoubtedly noticed at this point, we are all Shapers, yet Akar is referred to as a Guardian. This is because we Shapers are divided into three castes - the Agents, our diplomats and spies, the Guardians, our warriors and defenders, and the Shapers, our researchers and mages. Genna and I are both Shapers, Akar is a Guardian, and I'm afraid we lack any Agents on staff at the moment, but I assure you we are capable of training any aspiring Agents. In any case, to progress in your training at this facility, each of you will need to choose your caste - not right this minute, mind you. You shall be given two weeks to get a feel for each caste and decide on which caste you wish to be. So think on it."

Before leaving you to your first magic lesson, Rawal hands out necklaces with white beads on them, and explain that the necklaces shall give you access to your dormitory and the other training facilities you need to access. Then he, Genna and Akar leave you all to your first magic lesson with Sage Bridget, a black-haired woman with brown eyes who wears the garb of a sage - a silver cloak and hood over black clothing. First she explains the difference between normal magical Energy and Essence - Energy is present in everything to some degree, and to manipulate it, and thus make use of conventional magic, one must merely know how to focus and use themselves as a focus for whatever they're trying to do. It is quite difficult, of course, and using Energy is draining, but using Essence is on a different level - Essence is not just simply ambient energy, but an actual, physical, quasi-living substance, far more powerful than Energy, and learning how to hold it within oneself without having it destroy you from the inside out is a difficult and lengthy process - thus, why you have been focusing on that for the past two years. Now that you know how to hold Essence unconsciously, your capacity to do so shall increase naturally as you learn to Shape it.

After giving that lengthy explanation, Bridget shows you how to focus Energy through yourself, and teaches you all how to manipulate fire by doing so. It is a minor cantrip, but one that teaches you all a bit about using Energy, and one that will help you learn greater fire-related spells later on.

After teaching you this cantrip and a few other minor Energy manipulations, Sage Bridget takes you all down to the library and sets you loose, to study whatever you wish for a few hours. A Servant mind lies on a pedestal near the front of the library, ordering around the Serviles assigned to maintain the library. You can ask him where books on whatever topic you're looking for may be found.

What do you do?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:46:47 am by Snallac »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 09:48:28 am »

We're highly motivated, and have little need to spend significant time socializing. We'd be well suited for using our spare timefor higher intensity training.

Look for books including what sort of extra training famous and powerful graduates of this school went through while here. If nothing else, we can skim the early parts of their biographies.

We should be a shaper because nobody cares about guardians and agents are known for being more subtle and less powerhouses. (Also, it's in the title.)

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 10:44:35 am »

Look for books including what sort of extra training famous and powerful graduates of this school went through while here.

+1, prompt the servant mind to direct us to any notable graduate Shaper's books (authored or heavily used by). Focus exclusively on the Shaping art. Magic and combat are for those who serve the true Shapers anyway.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 01:43:51 pm »

Look for books including what sort of extra training famous and powerful graduates of this school went through while here.

+1, prompt the servant mind to direct us to any notable graduate Shaper's books (authored or heavily used by). Focus exclusively on the Shaping art. Magic and combat are for those who serve the true Shapers anyway.
1+

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »

Mind Tavros tells you that Shapers don't tends to write autobiographies or get biographies written about them - most Shapers don't care to read such tomes, and Outsiders could never be permitted to read such things lest valuable Shaper secrets were leaked - and without the inclusion of such secrets, a biography of a famous Shaper's life wouldn't be accurate at all. He does, however, send a Servile to bring you some beginner's tomes on Shaping that students before you have found useful - in particular, A Comprehensive Beginner's Guide to the Shaping Arts. The tome describes the act of Shaping in great detail, and gives detailed anatomical guides to practice Creation for the novice Shaper. Things like the Fyora or the Thahd - extremely basic Creation that, while now considered outdated compared to newer and better Creations, are nevertheless useful for practice. Even they are beyond your reach at the moment - your Essence reserves are simply too tiny to Shape a Creation of any worthwhile size. Fortunately, the book also describes in detail practice Creation that are tiny enough for someone with your Essence reserves to Shape - even less practical than the Fyora or the Thahd, but still good for practice, and certainly within your reach. You make sure to memorize one of them - a tiny Creature known as a Flynd, a tiny quraduped covered in fur that could fit into the palm of your hand. It is also ridiculously easy to control, according to the text, which makes sense, as the creature can't have all that much willpower with a brain that tiny. You dare not Shape in the library without permission though - you'll wait until you know you won't get caught, or maybe if you get any free time in the Shaping chambers..

The library is, unfortunately, completely lacking in information on the forbidden magics - Necromancy and Demonology. Mind Tavros says that all such texts are completely restricted, accessible only by true Shapers. There isn't a single text that even mentions either type of magic in the whole facility - the research they perform here isn't related to such magics at all. That's what Mind Tavros claims, anyhow.

After your time in the library is up, you are allowed to check out your book, and then Sage Bridget leaves you all at the alchemical labs after introducing you to Master Craumpalin, Lithlum's alchemist. For the rest of the day Craumpalin drills you on basic herbs and their uses - which you already happen to know, for the most part. Ironically, it sounds almost as if he is quoting the herbology book you have back at the dorms. You mainly daydream and plot for this period of time, occasionally answering questions when he calls upon you.

The access amulets you have been given, with the white beads - they work to let you in the areas you have been shown around to, but the buildings you noted that Rawal left out of the tour - you expect they wouldn't let you into those buildings. Akar's black amulet, however, almost certainly does - there's no way the head of security would be locked out of the area where the dangerous experiments are performed. So if you want to get into those buildings for some reason in the future, you'll need to steal an amulet somehow. You doubt you'd be able to get Rawal's or Akar's amulet, but Craumpalin or Bridget might leave their's somewhere you can get it, perhaps in class while they're distracted, or in the night, if your amulets still work then.

Then something occurs to you - the teachers almost certainly have some way to track the amulets, and thus the students, and their own amulets. If you do steal a teacher's amulet, you'd have to return it before they noticed it was gone and tracked it down to you, and if you do start sneaking around in the night, you need to find a way to do it without your amulet, or a way to pin it on someone else. You have no doubt that it's possible, but it would be tricky..

Soon enough the day has ended, and your class is sent back to the dorms. This time around, everyone is tired, and people start settling  into bed, and the lights dim. This time, you aren't locked in, but you know that you need your amulet to open the door, and your amulet serves as a tracker.

What do you do?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:49:12 pm by Snallac »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 01:50:08 pm »

talk to Oswild about our first day here after ask Marcus about his mother she seems like an interesting  person.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7