Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Now then. It seems that my co-mod's vanished from the forums. Options?

Just run the game without a co-mod. You can handle it, yeh? Pros: !!insanity, fun!!, Cons: Game might not go so well, roles might be unbalanced.
- 8 (53.3%)
Seek out a new co-mod. You might need it. Pros: sanity, good design, general boost, Cons: less !!insanity!!.
- 3 (20%)
I have no opinion on the matter.
- 4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR(5/9): GAME OVER.  (Read 59277 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR(9/9): Day 1. Is this some sort of game show?
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2016, 09:12:06 pm »

@BHK:Are you saying I should just be lynching myself now or something?  I know I'm Town.  If I rolled over and died it wouldn't help anybody but the Mafia.
If you're town, then your team is larger. Your team is more powerful united. The mafia are an informed minority, and it's absurdly detrimental for one member of a duo mafia to die. Mafia typically have a stronger sense of self preservation since they kinda have to keep what numbers they have alive to win.

You see my point?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2016, 09:15:22 pm »

@BHK:Are you saying I should just be lynching myself now or something?  I know I'm Town.  If I rolled over and died it wouldn't help anybody but the Mafia.
If you're town, then your team is larger. Your team is more powerful united. The mafia are an informed minority, and it's absurdly detrimental for one member of a duo mafia to die. Mafia typically have a stronger sense of self preservation since they kinda have to keep what numbers they have alive to win.

You see my point?
Objection.

While it is true that in the broader scheme of things the town has less to lose from a D1 mislynch than scum would from a D1 scum lynch, every townie should still have a strong sense of self-preservation, as each of them knows they are town and that they can only trust themselves.  It is always better to lynch someone who could be scum, so every townie should push for someone who is not themselves to be lynched, as a general rule, and make a point to try and avoid being lynched.  If you don't try to avoid a lynch, you're being a detriment to the town.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2016, 10:08:56 pm »

You see my point?
Objection.

While it is true that in the broader scheme of things the town has less to lose from a D1 mislynch than scum would from a D1 scum lynch, every townie should still have a strong sense of self-preservation, as each of them knows they are town and that they can only trust themselves.  It is always better to lynch someone who could be scum, so every townie should push for someone who is not themselves to be lynched, as a general rule, and make a point to try and avoid being lynched.  If you don't try to avoid a lynch, you're being a detriment to the town.
Which is exactly what I just said, but longer.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2016, 01:12:25 am »

I would say less that townies should have a strong sense of self-preservation than that they should (and generally try to) act in the town's general strategic interests.  This generally means not wanting to get lynched, but the ultimate goal is never to stay alive.  The ultimate goal is to win.  Trying not to get lynched is expected and is good.  Prioritizing not getting lynched over catching scum is more troubling, albeit acceptable as a short-term strategy with some roles/situations.

This particular case is interesting, but not for matters of pure strategy.  No, what we've got is a set of quite fascinating reactions to a FoS in, of all things, RVS.

TheBiggerFish, let's talk for a bit.
4mask FoSed you on grounds that showed he missed Wozzy's question.  You correct him.  Problem solved.  Everything's cleaned up, fine, good.
So, a few minutes later, you jump back in to add this:
4mask:Why are you jumping on me for answering someone's question?
For that matter, if you've seen me playing Mafia, you should know I tend towards lots of small posts like those.
Apparently, a simple correction isn't enough.  You needed to reiterate your point and jab back at 4mask.  A FoS in RVS based on an error becomes aggressively "jumping on [you]".  Interesting.

Now, I recognize that you post a lot.  Why, though, did you feel the need to add this?  In particular, why the question?  What did you hope to accomplish with it?  What set of answers were reasonably conceivable from 4mask?
When you made your initial correction, did you think 4mask had already realized that you were responding to Wozzy?  If so, why?  If not, why did you take the "jumping on me for answering someone's question" tack?

Now, there's more material of interest.  BHK asked you about your sense of self-preservation, with no FoS or vote attached.  Your response?
FoS him and escalate.  Another twitchy jab, although a justified one, at someone who challenged you.  Meh.
What I really like, though, is how your rhetoric ramped up to ridiculous levels.  As if your life was right on the line because of a FoS in RVS, you counterpose your response to the idea of giving up, rolling over, and dying.  Did you feel that FoS put you at great risk?

You seem rather shaken by that FoS in RVS.  Quite nervous, quite twitchy, quite jumpy.  I wonder how an actual vote will make you feel, TheBiggerFish.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2016, 05:11:39 am »

It will make me rather annoyed, Jack.

Yes, I use rhetorical exaggeration for argument, so... What?

Like, seriously, what exactly is wrong with that?

Re:Bunch of questions 1:I don't know, it felt like a good idea at the time. 
I did not think he had realized that I was answering Wozzy.  That's why I asked it.

Re:Bunch of questions 2:I feel like it puts me or anyone at more risk to be FoS'd than to not be, y'know?

In general:Yes, I may be overreacting to FoSs, probably because I really haven't had that much chance to calibrate just how suspicious the people in this game are when they use it.  It could mean, y'know, 'I'm going to vote you if you say anything wrong' or 'That's interesting in a bad way' and I don't know which.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2016, 04:10:05 pm »

Almost 12 hours since the last post.

Tiriuin- where was this post we were promised?

Deus Asmoth and notquitethere- do you have anything to contribute, or are you just trying to stay off the radar?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2016, 04:14:04 pm »

Yeah, NQT, post.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »

Oh, we're also missing anything at all from TheDarkStar too.
Sigtext

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2016, 04:31:00 pm »

TDS at least posted and revealed their role is similar to BHK's. The other two haven't posted.

Why skip Deus Asmoth on your vote spree?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2016, 05:04:07 pm »

They did?
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2016, 05:08:13 pm »

Oh, they did.  I don't know how I missed that, it was on the same page even.  :-\

Honestly, I'm more suspicious of the activelurk than the people who just haven't posted.  At least they're not pretending to be active.  Whereas TDS...It feels like a setup for fakeclaiming whatever BHK got.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2016, 05:19:04 pm »

Wozzy, have you played with anyone else here? How would you characterise your playstyle?

Deus Asmoth and notquitethere- do you have anything to contribute, or are you just trying to stay off the radar?
Oops, was expecting a PM to tell me the game had started and hadn't checked the forum. I'm definitely on the radar.

BHK/TDS, what are your rationales for claiming what you have claimed?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2016, 05:26:03 pm »

BHK, what are your rationales for claiming what you have claimed?
If RNG decides not to play nicely with me, you have this early claim so in case my actions don't turn out well, I have actual justification from the first day.
NQT - What's your rationale for not claiming?

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2016, 06:04:58 pm »

@NQT, in reference to my previous post, I have played with BHK on a different forum.

As for my playstyle, I'm rather..fanatic? When I see something suspicious, I will jump right on it. When I'm really sure about being suspicious about someone, I won't be afraid to vocalize it. This does make me a target for mafia kills, and could be detrimental to my win-con when I'm third party or a vital town role.

Outside of the thread, I'm a bit more organized, with notes and spreadsheets. Most of my questioning will be spent trying to fill in the missing pieces.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2016, 07:02:58 pm »

Votecount initiating.

Votecount:
Deus Asmoth(0): []
TheDarkStar(1): [TheBiggerFish]
TheBiggerFish(1): [Jack A T]
notquitethere(0): []
Jack A T(0): []
BlackHeartKabal(0): []
Wozzy(1): [notquitethere]
4maskwolf(0): []
Tiruin(0): []

And with that, refreshments were served. A variety of beverages now lie upon a round table within the warehouse.
Where did they come from, anyway? No, the answer to that was obvious: magic.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33